The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Tolkien-inspired textile art

Drawings and paintings based on Middle-earth are numerous - now Tolkien is becoming a more popular theme for textile art. I found a gorgeous example today:

This is "Tribute to Tolkien" - a prizewinning quilt by Sue McCarty, machine quilted wholecloth. Don't I wish I could see this in person!! More background information can be found on the Tolkien Society's news page.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wonderful!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
This is "Tribute to Tolkien" - a prizewinning quilt by Sue McCarty, machine quilted wholecloth. Don't I wish I could see this in person!!
I would say: Don't I wish I had this at home Nay, I think this is exceptionally beautiful. There should be more things like this.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
There should be more things like this.
I think Estelyn should post a picture here of her own Tolkien-inspired quilt. I "lived" with it while I stayed a week with her--it was up on the wall in the room I had. I prefer its symbolism to the exact details of this quilt. I also prefer its colours.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Very lovely!

Thanks for putting up that example, Esty!

I agree with Bêthberry that you should also put up some examples of your own work.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Ibrîniğilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniğilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniğilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That is indeed quite a work of art. I've done quilting myself, and can just imagine the amount of work that went into that tribute! I doff my hat to her!

At the moment, I'm into creating charted needlepoint patterns which I sell through a local needlework shop, and last autumn, I designed my own little Tolkien tribute, which I titled "Stars in Shadows Shimmering." Given the limitations of the kind of design and the audience I'm selling to, it couldn't be very overtly Tolkien, but at least it turned out nicely:

Perhaps when I have a larger collection of designs completed, I can go nuts and come up with something overtly Tolkienish.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Nice to see!

That was nice to see, Ibrîniğilpathânezel! I'd be interested to see any more designs you come up with.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote