The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #41
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
I started reading it in 6th grade and never finished. Now I'm reading the Silmarillion and the Hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
When I was in 7th grade I got the chance to see the films when the dvds went on sale. For Christmas that year I got the books, and my family probably regrets that decision since I'm way more in love with these books then I was with any others. I think they thought they were going to be a passing interest like Nancy Drew (3rd grade) or The Chronicles of Narnia (6th) or at least a minor obsession like Harry Potter or books about royalty and history. Instead they now have to put up with my constant tangents about Tolkien and his works.
I could somehow never get into Harry Potter. The first line itself turned me off. I found it a tad childish and cliched.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #42
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
I got into Harry Potter when I was still a kid. The last two books I had to basically force myself to read, and I only got through Deathly Hallows because I found a MST of it. My policy on HP now is basically Fanfiction = Good, Actual Books = Bad.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #43
Cecile
Newly Deceased

Cecile has just left Hobbiton.
I read it five years ago and I my favorite quote was:

He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: it's springs were at every doorstep and every path was it's tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." said by Frodo about his uncle Bilbo Baggins in Chapter 'Three is Company'.
snohomish landscaping
Cecile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #44
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecile View Post
I read it five years ago and I my favorite quote was:

He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: it's springs were at every doorstep and every path was it's tributary. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." said by Frodo about his uncle Bilbo Baggins in Chapter 'Three is Company'.
snohomish landscaping
Welcome to the Downs! Hope you enjoy being dead
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #45
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My mom introduced LotR to me when I was about seven. She had to read it to e, since the letters were too small. I don't remember understanding a lot, but I had a good overall feeling about the book. This inspired me to re-read it when I was eight. I can't say that I understood much more, but I remembered the general idea. I've re-read it two or three times since then, but I was twelve when it actually struck. You couldn't take me away fro the book. It was like an obsession. I set it as my goal to remember all the names, places, and events that are ever mentioned there. I had many arguments with my parents about the amount of tie I'm spending on Tolkien - probably more than on my homework. This summer I've finally managed to lay hands on The Hobbit, The Sil., and The Children of Hurin. They are fantastic!
My future Tolkien plans are to read the unfinished tales and whatever other books i can find, and also to read LotR in English (Russian is my first language, so my copy of the book is in Russian)
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #46
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

I was in fourth grade I believe when I was first introduced to the Lord of the Rings. At the time, I wasn't introduced to The Hobbit or the Sil. or, well, any other books by Tolkien. I didn't find out about the rest until I was a little bit older and did some research. It was around about this time I was introduced to Harry Potter as well. I loved both series, though I do believe Tolkien's style is more top notch; not to mention he's been doing this longer than her.

But I digress, this isn't about Harry Potter.

To get back on track, I'm glad I was introduced to J.R.R. Tolkien's works; the man is simply a genius.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Harry Potter isn't as deep as LOTR.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #48
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Harry Potter isn't as deep as LOTR.
As I said, he has been doing this longer than J.K., but for me, it doesn't necessarily mean the HP books are bad, I'm a fan of both. J.R.R. went into more detail of the races, the area, history, etc. He went all out on it which makes his books more interesting to read for some. Had J.K. done the same for the area around Hogwarts, maybe even went into further detail about the houses and their founders, etc. the HP books would be just as interesting. It's just a matter of preference from the readers.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #49
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't really mean details - well, that too, but mostly feelings. LOVE in HP became almost a formula. You love, you're good. LOTR is totally different. It has a wide range of emotion hidden between the lines.
Well, you could say that teenage tantrums count for emotion, and that if all the LOTR characters were kids, then yeah, I guess you're right. But still, I just don't feel like I'm part of the book in HP the same way as in LOTR. In LOTR, action isn't the main thing - more like phylosophy or something like that. HP wouldn't exist if it wasn't for action. It doesn't have enough behind the action. It's shallow, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #50
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
It's shallow, if you know what I mean.
I wouldn't say it's 'shallow' but I'd say it's 'juvenile literature'. Meant for the slightly simpler minds of children. Come on, you can't expect a 5 year old to understand the themes of LotR like he/she would the themes of Harry Potter.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 AM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
you can't expect a 5 year old to understand the themes of LotR like he/she would the themes of Harry Potter.
That's true.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #52
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
I wouldn't say it's 'shallow' but I'd say it's 'juvenile literature'. Meant for the slightly simpler minds of children. Come on, you can't expect a 5 year old to understand the themes of LotR like he/she would the themes of Harry Potter.
I would have to agree, actually. Considering it DID start out as children's books, the more she began to write and develop the characters, the more it became more suitable for middle/high school kids. When she caught wind of adults reading her books, she tried to make it more...grown up for lack of better words to describe it. Really, I believe she just tried too hard, but I still like them none the less.

With the exception of the last part of the last book, she really rushed through it. :\ But, I like it now because I liked it as a kid.

If a five year old was ever able to grasp the themes of LotR and I were the parent, I would be proud of that child.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #53
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I wouldn't want to be the poor parent who is doomed to hour long explanations of LOTR themes to his/her 5 year old child.
However, if the child really grasps the concepts all by himself, it really is an extraordinary genius and a brilliant kid.