The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Mirror, Mirror, on the wall... who's the farest Elve of all...???

I was just wondering... who do you think is the coolest, best, most favorite Elve...?
Mine is sorta typical... Legolas... LMK!!! I wanna know!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In fact, Luthien was the fairest person ever, counted as the most beautiful person among the Children of Illuvatar.

Second, of all the Noldor, Galadriel was the most beautiful.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
Mirror, Mirror, on the wall... who's the farest Elve of all...???
I have a few questions regarding this thread. First of all, 'farest'? Are you asking which elf was 'most far', ie traveled futher? Are you asking which one paid the most fares? Help me out here.

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 04-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

To add on to Bruce's statement, and keep the nitpicking alive, I'm going to ask what exactly an "Elve" is. The word itself suggests both the singular and plural forms of "elf", but on the other hand you could be making a refrece to Elwe, perhaps to the fact that he was one of the most distant elves from Valinor after his seduction by Melian. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Iarwain

P.S. I'm thoroughly sorry for the above, a most inapropriate way to welcome someone to the Downs. I hope you enjoy you death and have a happy posting experience. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.P.S. What could "LMK" mean? I'm confused. Actually I'm trembling in apprehension of your response.

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 04-06-2003, 05:52 AM   #5
AZOG-THE-GOBLIN

Sting

I like Arwen!
She's an interesting character becouse she marrys a man (king of men) not another Elf ,and she does'nt leave MiddleEarth when Aragorn dies,she goes to Lothlorien and dies of grief..Or at least I think remember happends.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: AZOG-THE-GOBLIN ]
Old 04-06-2003, 06:02 AM   #6
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd have to say my Favourite elf is Luthien! She is really Beautiful, and brave and defied her father for Love!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to go with Luthien as the prettiest/fairest. But for coolest it's Beleg. I cried when he croaked [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .
Old 04-06-2003, 09:57 PM   #8
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

For me, the fairest would have to be Goldberry. Good enough for Tom, good enough for me. If you go by the book, Luthien was the fairest; but, I think fairness is subjective.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd have to choose betwenn Arwen and Galadriel (they are related after all). But Luthien was also very beuatiful, so it's tough!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:04 AM   #10
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think goldberry was an elf...maybe im wrong...wasnt she a river woman? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] dno...

RATE ME!!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:57 AM   #11
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have no idea it doesn't say what she is but it says she is the river daughter or something.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It would have to be Luthien of course, followed closely by Arwen, (cause it says in the books, that she was in the likness of Luthien, the fairest of her time, the Evenstar of her people) then Galadriel.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Luthien, Melian, and Galadriel, they would all have to be the fariest to me.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:35 AM   #14
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

GALADRIEL FOREVER!!!!!!!Galadriel is the best elf ever (in my opinion, at least)!!! Well, then there's Luthien Tinuviel, but that's pretty much it. Was Nimrodel an elf?
Old 05-18-2003, 05:15 AM   #15
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I vote Gladariel and Arwen..

For all those people who voted Gladriel.. don’t you think I have a nice avatar.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]…. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 07:46 AM   #16
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Pipe

Luthien! is the fairest and prettiest! then Galadriel and then maybe Arwen because she was like Luthien in many ways, so it was said. but for the men elves it would be Celeborn.

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:51 AM   #17
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
For me, the fairest would have to be Goldberry. Good enough for Tom, good enough for me. If you go by the book, Luthien was the fairest; but, I think fairness is subjective.
I always thought she was some kind of Spirit, like a Maier.

Anyways my fav is probably Fingolfin just because of his amazingly brave battle with Morgoth. But i do like Feanor as well, and Legolas, and Glorfindel...the list could go on for ever [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 12:14 AM   #18
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Quote:
She's an interesting character becouse she marrys a man (king of men) not another Elf
Hey, AZOG-THE-GOBLIN, Luthien married a man, too. And she was the only elf to actually die. The others went to the halls of Mandos, but Luthien actually died and went out of the world altogether.

Besides, Luthien was a lot braver than Arwen. Did Arwen go to the fortress of the most powerful villain in Tolkien? I don't think so. She stays at home and waits for Aragorn to come back. (by the way, I don't dislike Arwen, I'm making a point) Luthien did, and she beat him, at least for a little while, long enough to get Beren out of there. And I agree with Iarhen, Luthien, then Galadriel. Though Arwen is a close third. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Can anyone tell that Luthien is my favorite character? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:19 AM   #19
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are we talking about the bravest or about the fairest Elf? :P

In the books the fairest is Luthien definitely, and then Arwen and Galadriel, though Idril was good too, I guess.

In the movie it is definitely Arwen, though I don't know who they would take for Luthien [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #20
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hey, you've forgotten Aredhel Ar-Feiniel. You have to give her some credit for being one of the most beautiful tomboys of the family.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #21
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'll toss my two cents in now. Fairest in works was Feanor, fairest in face was Luthien, and fairest in heart (I think) was Fingolfin.
Peace
Old 05-27-2003, 07:47 PM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

The one Elf that I admire the most is Fëanor. He may have been a Kinslayer, and a very messed up person, but he had reasons for what he did, and I think they were valid reasons.

I think the top 5 Elves that I will always love are:

1. Fëanor
2. Fingolfin
3. Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
4. Galadriel
5. Celegorm
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #23
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wil have to say it;s a draw between Luthein and Arwen!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 02:49 PM   #24
Imbetalath

Silmaril

The fairest Elf in all the Land? That is hard, as all Elves are fair to look upon. But if I had to choose, I would choose Lord Elrond. The face of so many years remains smooth and faultless to the eye. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #25
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I say Luthien and Goldberry (BTW, Goldberry was and elf, a river elf) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

P.S.
Quote:
don’t you think I have a nice avatar
Nil, I'm jealous!! Where in Middle-earth did you get it?? It's really cool!

P.P.S We're going off topic..... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #26
mallorn

Silmaril

I personally like all the elves. My favorite though is Galadriel, pretty and wise. One lil thing that i think is rather amusing is the fact the she is Arwen's grandmother. Te he he. Imagine Arwen at a young age spending time whith granny Galadriel. Then Galadriel would bake cookies and such. Thats another thing, how do elves keep thier young looks. I know their immortal, so to say. I guess its something in their genes. Who knows..
Old 06-15-2003, 12:08 PM   #27
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I like all elves, but perhaps I like Galadriel best. I' m not sure why. Legolas is also one of my favourite elves...
Old 06-15-2003, 12:39 PM   #28
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

All elves are beautiful, they were created that way, by Ilúvatar... Lúthien is considered to be the fairest of them all...

I have always been very fond of their ears.... eheh [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*Nova*
Old 06-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #29
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

Azog, Luhien was fairer than arwen and she also married a man
Old 06-16-2003, 10:05 AM   #30
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'd say that Feanor was the fairest Elf of all, with Fingolfin coming in a close second. I've got this great mental image of a tall, dark, handsome Elf with jet-black hair and silver eyes, and standing next to him, (Fingolfin) a tall, muscular Elf with golden-brown hair and sapphire blue eyes.

As for the Elf women, I think that Galadriel is the fairest, with Luthien coming in a close second. It isn't just looks that make beauty (in my opinion), it is character also. And frankly, I think that Galadriel has much more character and personality than Luthien. Not to mention, Galadriel had her priorities!
Old 06-19-2003, 06:39 PM   #31
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
And frankly, I think that Galadriel has much more character and personality than Luthien. Not to mention, Galadriel had her priorities!
Oh? What about leaving Valinor with Feanor? That doesn't strike me as the best priorities around. At least Luthien's disobedience was motivated by love, rather than revenge. And how, pray, does Galadriel have more character than Luthien? Yes, she helps the Fellowship, but any elf would do the same. Galadriel never left her woods, Luthien went all the way to Angband. And she managed to defeat Morgoth, if temporarily, in a direct confrontation, while Galadriel only kept Sauron out of her land; her borders were rather small. (Yes, I am very biased, but anyway...)
Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM   #32
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I HAVE NOT READ THE SILM SO MY ANSWER IS NOT VERY COMPLETE.--the caps are for emphasis [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I didn't know Goldberry was an elf. Assuming Tarien Ithil is right, then I'd say she would be the fairest of them all only in my opinion, because she was the most peaceful and laid back--my favorite qualities in a person.

From the sounds of it though, Luthien is definitely 'fairest'. For her appearance obviously, but she must have been one tough she-elf to fight for Beren like she did. I'd give her full credit if I knew the whole story!

Then I also liked Arwen bunches in the book. She was very noble. The perfect queen for Elessar. I still shudder whenever Liv Tyler comes on the screen in pointy ears and an imitation gown.

-Maikafanawen

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 06-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #33
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Goldberry is not an Elf! I'm not entirely sure what she was, but not an Elf.

Quote:
...up came Goldberry, the River-woman's daughter...
Quote:
...Never mind your mother in her deep weedy pool: there you'll find no lover!
Those are from "The Adventures of Tom B*mbadil."

Quote:
By that pool long ago I found the River-daughter,
fair young Goldberry sitting in the rushes.
Sweet was her singing then, and her heart was beating!
That's from FotR. There is no mention anywhere of Goldberry being an Elf.

Do excuse my rant.