The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
The Eye Glorfindel

In Lotr it talks about a Glorfindel of Imladris. In the Silmarilion It talks about a Glorfindel who Fought a balrog and died. Is the Glorfindel of Imladris a reincarnation
or do they just happen to have the same name? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2001, 03:57 PM   #2
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

I don't know, but I would assume that they are the same person. Have no evidence though.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Old 12-31-2001, 04:21 PM   #3
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

According to red they are the same....
Old 12-31-2001, 04:23 PM   #4
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Encyclopedia of Arda has this to say about Glorfindel:

The Problem of the Two Glorfindels

With the possible exception of Tom Bombadil's identity (and - of course - the wingedness or otherwise of Balrogs), there is no more hotly debated topic than the ultimate fate of Glorfindel. Were Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell the same person?

The only real resource we have to answer this question is in The Peoples of Middle-earth (The History of Middle-earth Vol. 12): XIII Last Writings, Glorfindel. Christopher Tolkien dates the notes he gives here at 1972, the year before his father's death.

These notes clear up one question immediately: at the time of the writing of The Lord of the Rings, Glorfindel of Rivendell was not conceived as the same character as Glorfindel of Gondolin. Tolkien says, 'Its use [i.e. the name 'Glorfindel'] in The Lord of the Rings is one of the cases of the somewhat random use of the names found in the older legends ... which escaped reconsideration in the final published form...'.

Tolkien was far from happy with this state of affairs, however, and it seems that he intended to reconcile the problem by uniting the two strands of the story. In summary, the notes tell us that Glorfindel's spirit returned to the Halls of Waiting, but was after a time re-embodied by the Valar. He then returned to Middle-earth (either in the mid-Second Age, or as a companion of the Istari in the Third). For the full story of his return, refer to The Peoples of Middle-earth.

The question of Glorfindel's identity, then, brings us to a much wider, and highly relevant, question. Can we accept a writer's personal notes, whether written in preparation for a published work, or simply for personal satisfaction, as part of that writer's 'canon'?

The importance of this question is highlighted by the essay entitled The Problem of Ros in the same volume of The History of Middle-earth. This is an extensive disposition on the origins and meaning of the syllable ros in names such as Elros. The details need not concern us here: what is relevant is the fact that, after its composition, Tolkien noticed a detail in the published Lord of the Rings that essentially negated the discussion. He dismissed the body of The Problem of Ros with four words; 'most of this fails'.

But what if he had not noticed this inconvenient fact (that Cair Andros had already been interpreted, and disagreed with his conclusions)? What if he had noticed, but had failed to record the fact? Would The Problem of Ros now be considered part of the 'Tolkienian' canon in the way that many regard the notes on Glorfindel? Questions like this show that we cannot simply take such notes on immediate face value.

Despite this, the Glorfindel notes lead many to see his re-embodiment and return to Middle-earth as 'fact' (and not a few have e-mailed us to remind us of this!) The purpose of this rather lengthy aside, though, is to show that we cannot view these 'events' in such concrete terms. This is the reason that the 'two Glorfindels' have separate entries on this site. This is not because we do not believe that Tolkien saw them as different embodiments of the same character (as we have seen, there are strong indications that he did), but simply because there is no definitive, published, proof of this.

Notes
1 The Noldor were normally dark-haired, but the golden hair of the Vanyar was introduced through Indis, a Vanyarin Elf-maiden; hence the descendants of her sons Fingolfin and Finarfin sometimes had golden hair, suggesting that Glorfindel may have come from this noble line.

Very interesting, very interesting indeed.
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:38 PM   #5
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
The Eye

Thanx alot that was very interesting.
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2001, 09:18 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It was the same Glorfindel according to Christopher Tolkien in the HoME, The Shadow of the Past.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Old 12-31-2001, 10:19 PM   #7
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

To sum up an essay regarding Glorfindel in HoMe XII - The Peoples of Middle-earth, Last Writings: after Glorfindel was killed defending those who would escape Gondolin's fall, his spirit returned to Mandos but was released quickly because of his sacrifice; he then spent time in Valinor (during this stay he was enhanced and became a follower and friend to Olorin), and returned to Middle-earth, probably in the Second Age. These are Tolkien's latest ideas regarding Glorfindel's reappearance.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:58 PM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I haven't read that one yet. Thanks Obloquy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Old 01-01-2002, 12:05 PM   #9
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy