The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Like mother, like daughter? Ungoliant and Shelob

Just a question I had - I'm reading the "Unfinished Tales" for the first time and had a question about Ungoliant the spider as she appears in "The Theft of Melko" (her name there is Ungwe Lianti). She is described much the same way as Shelob ("she brought forth only that darkness that is a denial of all light") and the friendship between her and Melko is rather reminiscent of Gollum and Shelob, but she is also described as having a lust for gems and precious things - "but [Ungwe Lianti] was ahungered of the brightness of that hoard of jewels as soon as she saw them....and so came all the treasury of most lovely gems fairer than any others that the world has seen into the foul keeping of Wirilome."

When you read about Shelob in TTT though, it explicitly denies that she cares about anything other than food and death. "But her lust was not his lust [for the Ring]. Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand, who desired only death for all others, mind and body, and for herself a glut of life." It seems a little strange that the one giant spider essentially lived for things "devised by mind or hand" while her daughter was hardly aware of them. And I'm not sure if there's an answer somewhere in the Silmarillion, since I haven't read it yet (planning to, though).

So why were they different? Was there a big reason I'm missing or did they just have different personalities, as giant spiders go? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-14-2002, 02:13 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe Shelob saw that worldly power and possessions were her undoing, and wanted to be different. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] What I think, however, is that Shelob was too hungry to care. As she didn't get a whole lot of food, it's plausible to think that her first concern was herself. If Sauron had given her Orc generals more often, she might have become greedy for power too. Also, Ungoliant had been lied to. Morgoth promised to feed her with both arms, but when he did, he kept the Silmarils in one hand, and wouldn't give them to her. That broken promise might have been enough to start thirsting for power.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Interesting topic. It seems that Shelob was simply more primitive. Maybe Ungoliant married her cousin, or something...Maybe they lived in South Carolina... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 10:56 PM   #4
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

It's hard to say how Ungoliante's Ainu nature would have affected her progeny when her mate was a being completely lacking sentience or fea. It's possible that they just inherited unnatural size and remained beasts, governed by their primal instincts.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 02:15 AM   #5
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shelob was a lesser "beast" compared to Ungoliant. Though she came from the latter, it didn't exactly mean a "direct" daughter (I could be wrong).
Shelob definitely didn't have Ungoliant's unsatiable hunger (sheez, she already sapped the two trees' lights and she was still hungery!), though hungery she always seemed to be. Even Melkor was afraid of Ungoliant.

But remember that Tolkiens works sometimes are different from his earlier writings (as I'm discovering, but all are very interesting). So I guess it depends on which book you're reading presently, and which you're trying to compare it with (comparing his books with earlier writings is NOT advisable, unless you are a genius on this, it’ll confuse the living daylights out of you – I should know I tried, and got cross-eyed from trying!). [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote