The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #1
Evenstar1069
Pile O'Bones

Evenstar1069 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe If elves had gone on the quest instead of Merry and Pippin

I looked for a topic like this but I couldn't find one so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

Before the nine companions actually started their quest Elrond was considering sending some elves from his house instead of Merry and Pippin. I was wondering what everyone thinks would have happened differently? Would they have gone to Moria? Would they lose Gandalf? Would they stay so long in Lorien? Would Frodo have had the chance to leave with Sam for Mordor alone? Would they have managed to complete the quest? I'm curious about your thoughts.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Redcoat

Pipe

hmm, now there's a thought... no idea about whether Frodo and Sam would have been able to go to Mordor alone (although i suspect they still would have got away). The main change i can think off, is that without merry and Pippin becoming Rider of Rohan/Soldier of Gondor, the shire may not have been saved at the end. Since it is those two who organise the defences....
Old 02-06-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Yeah that's an interesting one...

Crossing the Misty Mountains - they probably still don't make it

Decision to go through Moria - the elves would likely be opposed to Moria as Legolas was, Gandalf has more serious opposition, but then the wolves appear..

Moria - the orcs aren't alarmed as early (no Pippin), this could have v. big consequences! If the Balrog misses his appointment at the bridge, Gandalf escapes, but doesn't become 'the white' - scary!

Emyn Muil - the company takes more casualties because the Uruk Hai won't leave without capturing halflings.

From there on its v. unpredictable, what would Aragorn or Gandalf decide, follow Frodo and Sam or head to Minas Tirith or Rohan?

Other problems = Rohan defeated perhaps - would Gandalf etc. go to Edoras, would the Ents be roused ??? No riders at the Pelennor Fields, Gondor and Rohan laid waste. Merry doesn't kill witchking, Pippin fails to save Faramir, the scouring of the shire changes.

As they say, for the want of a nail....
Old 02-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If they were anything like Legolas, we would probably have more hair tangles and broken nails [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But on to the actual question
That is very confusing, it would be very intersted about what would happen. Though I do think they would still go into Moria because that was ultimately Frodo's choice, because not even Gandalf wanted to go there, and then all the other things I don't know.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

It would have been different. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM   #6
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

Hmm. that is an interesting question. I never thought about it. It would have gone all wrong. But I would have rather had elves than dwarves... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #7
Evenstar1069
Pile O'Bones

Evenstar1069 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Wow I never really thought about the impact Merry and Pippin not being there would have, I just thought about the changes the elves being there instead would make. One thing I'm sure of is it would have been duller and more quick paced seeing how the elves seem to be alot more serious than hobbits. And poor Merry and Pippin probably would have ended up in lockholes.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Matter who the Elves are,you send two more common elves like Legolas it would of been for the worse like others have said in this post.BUT if you sent lets say Fingolfin and Ecthelion (remember these guys have been reborn like Glorfindel)then Sauron would be in some hot water even if he gets his ring. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #9
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa, Fingolfin in the Third Age, that guy challenged the Dark Lord Morgoth and wounded him several times, he would have given Sauron a run for his money if he really wanted to.

But then again, even with two other Elves, even powerfull ones like Fingolfin, the Quest would have probably failed because of the various things Merry and Pippin did not happening as described in an above post.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #10
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Glorfindel was with them, and that bad old balrog turnd up he would have showen him a thing or two just like at the fall of gondorlin(sp?)
Old 02-07-2003, 07:46 PM   #11
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think it was the combination of hobbits-elves-wizard and men that made the quest.. ermmm... (SPOILERS AHEADDDDDDDDDDD) successful [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: propagandalf ]
Old 02-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Rumil - good points, all. The only one I can think of to add off the top of my head is the Palantir. Two factors (1) no Pippin to look into it, and it's impossible to picture even the most powerful Elf trying to snatch it from under Gandalf's arm, thus leading to serious consequences when Gandalf looks into the Palantir himself. (Gandalf says as much in TTT, that if he had looked in the consequences may have been disastrous). (2) Gandalf could well still be the Grey at this point. If Gandalf the White was dubious about his ability to look into the Palantir, how would Gandalf the Grey have done? Not good, is my guess. The Quest might have over a lot quicker, and nastier.

Add everything you pointed out after that - Eowyn unable to strike the Witch-King, no saving of Faramir - and we're looking at a Pyrrhic victory if there ever was one.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well, actual events and outcomes in the story aside,

If elves had gone on the quest instead of Merry and Pippin: the book would have been boring! You're talking about axing two of my favorite characters, so I think I can safely say that LotR would not hold as much for me if they weren't in it, or were at least sent home one third of the way through (I mean, how many people think about Fatty Bolger that much?) Maybe I wouldn't even be a member of the Barrow Downs...who knows? Who can predict the future of an altered past?

Then, also, I would not have my nifty forum nick, and my ideas of what I want in a man wouldn't have an uncanny resemblance to a certain foolish Took. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 06:28 AM   #14
Manquesseiel

Tolkien

Without Merry & Pip?? DEAR GOD! The book & film would be so boring, the book is made more lighthearted by these Hobbits, cutting them out would be as bad as gettin shot of Aragorn! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 07:39 AM   #15
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i don't know if this is already said, but remember Gandalfs words: he said to Frodo that he was meant to get the ring. don't you think the other members of the fellowship were meant to come along too?
if you look to it closely, it seems that the only way this quest could come to a good end was exactly by this group of people. did faith have something to do with it?...

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:39 AM   #16
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i don't know if this is already said, but remember Gandalfs words: he said to Frodo that he was meant to get the ring. don't you think the other members of the fellowship were meant to come along too?
if you look to it closely, it seems that the only way this quest could come to a good end was exactly by this group of people. did faith have something to do with it?...

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:04 AM   #17
Aeryn Evenstar
Pile O'Bones

Aeryn Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Tenduriel. Everyone in the fellowship had an important part to play. None of them were of lesser significance. With no Merry or Pippin it might not have been a victory for the race of men. And Eowyn my have been killed instead of just wounded.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote