The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting Inconsistencies-I'm not grouchy, these are just so obvious after you see it 10 times

And heeeeeeeeere they are!<P>1.Are the mini-towers at Barad-Dûr caricatures of Sauron in his armour?<P>2. In the account of Isildur, he says that "Already the writing...begins to fade" and this is shown by the letters disappearing as he is holding It on the Battlefield, but surely <I>writing</I> wouldn't be his concern with A FIELD FULL OF VERRRY ANGRY ORCS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM?<P>3.After Gandalf says "One Ring....bind them", we cut to a shot of Frodo pouring tea, and Gandalf continuing his speech. But tea takes a long time to boil...what did they do in between?<P>4.When Frodo says "What must I do?" We cut to him packing BEFORE Gandalf says "You must leave"...Hmm...Psychic! <P>What do you think?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Hmmm, I can't say I noticed the bit about the tea...but I always did wonder how Isildur could copy the Ring inscription verbatum after having seen it for the briefest moments on a battle field.<P>Well, I don't know if this is an inconsistency, but I always notice that part where Gandalf is telling Frodo to go to the Prancing Pony in Bree. He's rolling up a blanket as he says this, and then Frodo says, "Bree" and grabs the blanket, and flaps it so it comes unraveled, and then he shoves it into his pack in a mess. I laugh every time I see that.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Did yoo also notice that Bilbo reacted to his ‘confounded relatives‘s’ loud door-banging before the actual banging commenced? heheee. I don't think these are inconsistencies. I think they are manifestations of pj's twisted sense of humor.<P>I also found the dead uruk-hai-head-on-a stick extremely funny (TTT). The expression on its dead face was hilarious. tongue sticking out and everything. <P>^_^
Old 01-26-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, the Ring thing could be explained like this: the inscription remained as long as Sauron was touching it, or in fire. Meaning Sauron was really hot? (Sorry -- that was completely irrelevant). Maybe just the residue of Sauron's physical presence remained until Isildur had time to copy it down. Also, the Orcs probably threw down their weapons and surrendered like their descendents did at the Battle of the Morannon in the War of the Ring, when Sauron was destroyed.<P>EDIT: Okay, looking back, that "Sauron was hot" thing was in reference to the temperature. Get your collective heads out of the gutter. <p>[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 01-27-2003, 04:21 AM   #5
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

What the other people meant was that in the movie it isn't explained that Isildur looked at it when he was safe. Or I think it was something like that. IN the books you get the whole account about it, and in the movie they shortened it.<BR>Am I right?

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 AM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heh heh! I quess I don't think! I just don't give little things like that too much thought. I'd go batty! I always marvel that Elrond doesn't just grad the ring and throw it, or push Isilder in the Crack of Doom, ring and all!
Old 01-27-2003, 06:31 AM   #7
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always marvel that Elrond doesn't just grad the ring and throw it, or push Isilder in the Crack of Doom, ring and all! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too! But that would be an awfully short movie!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
Lupiane

Sting

Just seen TTT for the fifth time today and here's one inconsistancy that caught my eye. If you watch closely when the Rohirrim attack the Uruk-hais, when the horse nearly tramples Pippin, his hands are unbound. Then, as Aragorn manages to recall what has happened, you see him escaping the horse's hooves, hands unbound, AND unbinding his hands a second later. Magic ropes?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 AM   #9
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I haven't read all the threads on bloopers in the first movie, so somebody's probably mentioned this before (cause it really sticks out), but when Boromir is on the ground dying, talking to Aragorn, every shot from behind Aragorn shows Boromir's hand on Aragorn's left shoulder, but in all the shots from the opposite point of view, Boromir's gloved hand is nowhere to be seen. I thought this was the biggest, most glaring mistake in the first movie.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #10
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Hm. Usually I'm very good at detection bloopers and this kinda stuff, but I noticed that I didn't detect very much in the two LotR movies. Hm, I guess I'm too busy with loosing myself in the movie (and not in the music, Mr. Eminem!), when I watch it.<BR>That's why I don't see the Bloopers.<BR>And I never realized that Boromir-hand-thingy.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:01 PM   #11
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

One more thing: When Gandalf rides up to Isengard, his horse is BROWN, but didn't he have Shadowfax by then?
Old 01-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He definately did not have Shadowfax at that time. He got Shadowfax from Theoden after escaping from Isengard. They got this right.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 1.Are the mini-towers at Barad-Dûr caricatures of Sauron in his armour? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are noticing something that I am not here.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 2. In the account of Isildur, he says that "Already the writing...begins to fade" and this is shown by the letters disappearing as he is holding It on the Battlefield, but surely writing wouldn't be his concern with A FIELD FULL OF VERRRY ANGRY ORCS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He remembered what was written and knows the language. The scroll was written well after the battle in Minas Tirith.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>3.After Gandalf says "One Ring....bind them", we cut to a shot of Frodo pouring tea, and Gandalf continuing his speech. But tea takes a long time to boil...what did they do in between?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is it that hard to imagine that there may have already been a hot pot by the stove when Gandalf came in? Besides, what do you want them to do? Extend the the dialogue for the sole purpose of watching water boil. That would be exciting. <P>Actually, if I remember the scene correctly, there is a cut implying a time delay here. They were in the living room and then in the kitchen. Obviously some time has gone by.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 4.When Frodo says "What must I do?" We cut to him packing BEFORE Gandalf says "You must leave"...Hmm...Psychic! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Nothing wrong with this. Just good editting. Makes the scene far more dynamic which is the idea, to lend some urgency to Frodo going. It's not meant to be taken this literally.<P>As for the unbound and then bound Pippin hands, that seems to be a mistake. I saw it too.<P>As for Boromir's moving hand, I've seen Fellowship numberous times (I'm certainly not counting) and never noticed this. I'll watch for it but it can't be that bad.<P>H.C.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #13
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

In TTT, you can clearly see the roots of Orlando's shaved dark sideburns in many of the close-ups.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #14
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yes, the Boromir moving hand thing is what really stuck out to me. The first couple times I missed it because I was really caught up in the emotions and dialouge, but about the third or fourth time I was like "Dang, that's a major goof!".
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM   #15
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

The Flame Of Anor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

not going to get started on the second movie's bloopers, but does anyone else think alot of these could have been caught simply by sitting and watching the movie strait through? Or getting someone off the street to watch it? Especially in the beggining of the second movie, my entire group, none who were looking for it, noticed the Bridge changes alot in the close-up.<P>Woops, got started, but anyway...
Old 01-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #16
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

In other words, you noticed it because you weren't paying attention to the movie, right phantom? Just kidding!<P>In some ways, I wish you never would've pointed it out, because that's such a great scene and now whenever I watch it I can't concentrate on it (I invited you to my birthday party, and you repayed me by pointing out errors in my favorite movie!!).<p>[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: lord of dor-lomin ]
Old 01-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #17
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I WAS paying attention to the movie, lord of dor-lomin, I just noticed the error because my brain operates on many more levels than yours. <P>Another thing I thought was odd, and I saw a thread about this recently, when Gimli hits people with his axe it doesn't cut into them. It's like they got clubbed instead of axed.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #18
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

As I've mentioned, a lot of these are not mistakes at all, and some are due to over active imaginations. eg: Gandalf's tennis shoes that was mentioned in another thread.<P>As for stuff like Boromir's moving hand, I strongly suspect this stuff happens in movies all the time. I've watched audio commentaries on some pretty big and highly acclaimed movies and often you'll get directors pointing out their own mistakes. It's hardly uncommon. These films are just put under an insane amount of scrutiny.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Especially in the beggining of the second movie, my entire group, none who were looking for it, noticed the Bridge changes alot in the close-up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have no idea what you are talking about here. Could you please elaborate?<P>H.C.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #19
Telephirion
Pile O'Bones

Telephirion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some people have said that in the Bridge of Khazad-Dum sequence, once Gandalf smashes the bridge apart with his staff, in a series of shots the cracks in the bridge appear to be different. I can't say that this mistake affected my experience particularly!<BR>The most obvious mistakes I have noticed on the DVD are (1) in one shot the face of the man playing one of the Black Riders is fudged out with an off-black patch, and (2) when Frodo falls down the slope before the storm on Caradhras you can see the stockings the actor wears to secure the shoes to protect their feet from the cold.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:39 PM   #20
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Well, if we're going to talk about the most glaring and distracting errors, this one wins for me hands down:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Continuity: While the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin) are at The Prancing Pony in Bree, Merry returns from the bar with a pint and Pippin takes off to get his own. When the angle changes to an over-head shot, Merry is no longer at the table and Pippin is suddenly back in place. This was obviously a shot that carried over from the previous scene (prior to Merry's return from the bar). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-27-2003, 06:46 PM   #21
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Well, during Helms Deep Orlando Bloom runs into an orc...
Old 01-27-2003, 06:51 PM   #22
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also on the bridge of Khazad-dum - after the break happens it is plain that the edge is smooth, there are no handholds to grab onto anywhere, this is seen many times from multiple angles if you're looking for it. Then Gandalf falls and a monster hold appears. Tricksy wizards...
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #23
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Okay, just watched. You guys are scary. <P>Alright, my turn.<P>In the special edition DVD they go through the Midgewater marshes. There's a shot where Pippin falls and you can see that his foot has come off at the heel.<P>The only reason I noticed this is because on the actors commentary, the folks that play the hobbits were talking about how misserable that scene was and how much trouble they were having keeping their feet on.<P>H.C.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #24
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Ya, the bridge looks like it was thrown in at the last minute to me (it is my favorite sceen, as u can probably geuss from my name)<BR>It is very, very smooth, then suddenly is crattered and a large crack appears. This was not true in FOTR.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #25
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I doubt it was thrown in at the last minute. Scenes like this one have to be well planned out.<P>They needed to have the crack there so that Ian McKellen could pull himself up enough to deliver the "fly you fools" line. The overhead shot of Gandalf being dragged to the edge is almost certainly a stuntman. Although a lot of that shot would be blue screen, the bridge (or at least the section he is standing on) is not. You can even see trails being left in the dirt by his fingers. There may have been a logistical safety concern of throwing down a stunt man on a bridge with a large crack in it.<P>H.C.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:48 PM   #26
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I assumed the Bridge scene was the old footage of gandalf from a different angle with a ditigal bridge. By 'last minute' i was speculating it was one of the final digital scenes. gandalf's falling from this angle looks digital to me... could be wrong.<BR>(Edit) The FOTR scene had none of these problems, so it cant be a safety thing.(edit)<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: The Flame Of Anor ]
Old 01-28-2003, 06:26 PM   #27
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

Here are a few more mistakes in TTT:<BR>1.) In the scene where Gandalf and company arrives at The Golden Hall in Edoras and Gandalf prepares to end Saruman's hold on Theoden, Gandalf can be seen wearing the leaf brooch on his cloak, keeping it intact, like the rest of the now split up fellowship. But then the wizard discards the cloak to reveal his white robe as if nothing held it in place. <BR>2.)In the Gate of Mordor scene there are two cave trolls opening the gate. Yet we are told in Fellowship that sunlight turns trolls into stone. What's keeping the troll from turning in to a pair of interesting door stops for the Black Gate? <BR>3.) In the scene when the Rohirrim together with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are going to fight with the Wargs of Isengard, the horses of the Rohirrim are charging and over the hill where Legolas is shooting arrows at the Wargs. When Legolas' horse, Arod, approaches with Gimli upon him, observe the way Legolas mounts Arod. It is clearly impossible to execute this stunt despite him being an elf even. He grabs the left side of the reins with his left hand and hoists himself upon Arod. The stunt looks like it's shot with Legolas actually dismounting Arod but in the film it's played reversed. <BR>4.)There is a scene near the end of the battle for Helms Deep where a few remaining attackers enter the fort to be met by Theoden and his horsemen. Theoden comes very close to a wall of swords at the door, and one of them bounces off the top of his head. He shows no awareness of it and it leaves no mark. <BR>5.)When Sam dives on Frodo at the end in front of the Nazgul on the dragon, Frodo draws Sting and hold it to Sam's throat. Given that the other side of the river is taken by the orcs shouldn't sting be glowing? Also: Frodo and Sam had been captured by Boromir, so there is no apparent reason that Frodo would have his sword iin an easily accesible area.<BR>6.)There is a scene where Aragorn and Gimli borrow armor from the Rohirrim, and the chain mail Gimli tries on is way too big for him. This sequence is funny, but it doesn't make any sense, since all through Fellowship and Two Towers up to this point Gimli was wearing his own mail shirt, which fit him perfectly. Why does he suddenly need a new one - is his in the laundry or something?<BR>7.)When Aragorn is floating down the river after falling off the cliff, you would not expect his armour to float. <BR>8.)How could a falling Wizard catch up to the sword in midair that was dropped several seconds before he did? The wind dynamics simply wouldn't make this possible. <BR>9.)In the scene in the storeroom where Sam is suggesting Frodo use the Ring to escape, Frodo is initially sitting in front of a barrel. Then Faramir arrives and Frodo and Sam are now sitting on a cloak and there are no barrels in sight. <BR>10.)When Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli walk into Meduseld, Gandalf is seen arm in arm with Legolas, apparently leaning on the elf for support, but when the camera cuts away and returns, Gandalf is not in contact with Legolas, but they are arm in arm again for the next shot. <BR>11.)When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are chasing the Uruk-hai just before the Rohan riders appear, they run between two rocky outcrops over a ridge. Aragorn signals to hide, and almost at once the riders appear. Strangely Aragorn can hear Uruk-hai on foot 1 day's march away, but not a group of riders 30 seconds ride away. Legolas, famous for his eyesight, obviously forgot to have a look over the ridge where he might have spotted the riders. <BR>Some of these my friends found: but a few were found by me. Took a while!
Old 01-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The FOTR scene had none of these problems, so it cant be a safety thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oops, now I'm the one who is confused. I thought the scene at the beginning of TTT had the same issue as the one from Fellowship. All my comments were in reference to Fellowship. I can't comment on TTT as I can't remember the scene in enough detail.<P>H.C.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:23 PM   #29
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

Sting

applause for GaladrieloftheOlden <P>more questionable stuff:<P>When the fellowship entered Moria, why did Gimli go on and on about the hospitality of the dwarves when he should've noticed right away that corpses were lying everywhere. Was he in denial? Took him a while to react. (longer than the others). It's like that scene in Harry Potter where the kids entered the room of the giant 3 headed-doggie. The first thing they should've noticed was the HUGE doggie. They had time to chit-chat before reacting to the dog. In real life, when you enter a room full of corpses and/or 3-headed doggies, the first things you'll notice are the corpses and/or the 3 headed doggies. I guess film makers do this for dramatic purposes. I hate it when they do that. Fills my heart with rage.<P>Also, when Frodo and the hobbits were in Rivendell, did anyone notice that the height of the railing on the terrace was just perfect for a hobbit (and way too short for elves), so was the settee. An elf would trip on it. That would be fine if that specific section of Rivendell was built for hobbits. But no- when Frodo fiiinally notices Bilbo, we can see that the bench he was sitting on was too high for him- his legs were dangling.<P>Lastly, In TTT, when Haldir arrived at Helm’s Deep, Aragorn gave him a man-hug as oppose to Legolas’ elf-hug. Why didn’t he just pat Haldir’s shoulders the way Legolas did? That should’ve been his natural reaction, given the fact that he grew up with elves. The only excuse I could think of for Aragorn is that- upon realizing that the elves have come to their rescue, Aragorn, being a human (kind of), was overcome with emotion. Hence, the man-hug. Even so, is it inherent in human beings to hug when overcome by an extreme emotion such as the one Aragorn apparently felt? I don’t think so. Haldir was obviosly taken aback by Aragorn’s hug. You can tell by the expression on his face. (Either that or he thought Aragorn was smelly). <P><BR>Whooops. It wasn’t my intention to write an essay. Sorry. <P><BR>ps- what does it mean? that we're noticing all these minute details? hehe.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: propagandalf ]
Old 01-28-2003, 07:27 PM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 1.) In the scene where Gandalf and company arrives at The Golden Hall in Edoras and Gandalf prepares to end Saruman's hold on Theoden, Gandalf can be seen wearing the leaf brooch on his cloak, keeping it intact, like the rest of the now split up fellowship. But then the wizard discards the cloak to reveal his white robe as if nothing held it in place. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Keep in mind that the guy is a wizard. Even though (thankfully) he is not shooting sparks out of his fingertips he still has magic. Therefore he can take his cloak off any way he wants.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 2.)In the Gate of Mordor scene there are two cave trolls opening the gate. Yet we are told in Fellowship that sunlight turns trolls into stone. What's keeping the troll from turning in to a pair of interesting door stops for the Black Gate? <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Very observant. However could it be possible that only certain trolls become stone in sunlight. Because if not then Tolkien made the same mistake. Remember at the last battle Pippin was almost crushed to death by a troll fighting during the daytime. (hmmm..this would be an exelent debate topic)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 5.)When Sam dives on Frodo at the end in front of the Nazgul on the dragon, Frodo draws Sting and hold it to Sam's throat. Given that the other side of the river is taken by the orcs shouldn't sting be glowing? Also: Frodo and Sam had been captured by Boromir, so there is no apparent reason that Frodo would have his sword iin an easily accesible area.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Imagine your Faramir. You have a thousand men at your call and you have just captured two midgets who only try to escape you by shouting how you must let them go. Up until now hobbits were never really taken seriously and Faramir had no reason to do so now. Consequently the fact that they had swords wouldn't bother Faramir.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 8.)How could a falling Wizard catch up to the sword in midair that was dropped several seconds before he did? The wind dynamics simply wouldn't make this possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The key word there is Wizard. He probably used his ablilities to get his sword. Also he could have caught up with the balrog because it could have been trying to use its wings.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 11.)When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are chasing the Uruk-hai just before the Rohan riders appear, they run between two rocky outcrops over a ridge. Aragorn signals to hide, and almost at once the riders appear. Strangely Aragorn can hear Uruk-hai on foot 1 day's march away, but not a group of riders 30 seconds ride away. Legolas, famous for his eyesight, obviously forgot to have a look over the ridge where he might have spotted the riders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If they had hid earlier we would have spent unessisary time waiting for the Rohirum to ride up the hill. This would have been time consuming and boring.<P>Also concurning Boromir's changing hand positions during his death scene it probably happened because they shot Boromir's face at a different time then they shot Aragorn's face.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:46 PM   #31
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the Gate of Mordor scene there are two cave trolls opening the gate. Yet we are told in Fellowship that sunlight turns trolls into stone. What's keeping the troll from turning in to a pair of interesting door stops for the Black Gate? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Very observant. However could it be possible that only certain trolls become stone in sunlight. Because if not then Tolkien made the same mistake. Remember at the last battle Pippin was almost crushed to death by a troll fighting during the daytime. (hmmm..this would be an exelent debate topic) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Perhaps they were Olog-Hai - see <A HREF="http://www.barrowdowns.com/ArticlesHiFi.asp?Size=" TARGET=_blank>this Article</A> on the BD Articles page.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:01 PM   #32
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also concurning Boromir's changing hand positions during his death scene it probably happened because they shot Boromir's face at a different time then they shot Aragorn's face. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>This is certainly true, not just different times but likely different positions. To get Aragorn's shot the camera would have had to be lower then Boromir's head, which is tough trick considering he's laying on the ground. They would have had to shoot Boromir, move the actors to allow the camera to be placed properly and then shoot Aragorn.<P>They likely had a multitude of takes, only some of which Boromir put his hand on Aragorn's shoulder. When they are choosing the take, their looking more at the emotional content of the performance then in small continuity issues. The vast majority of the audience would never notice this so they are better off taking the takes that best convey what they are trying to get across.<P>Having said that, it sure is fun to spot these things after the fact. <P>H.C.<P>Edited for typos.<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #33
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Speaking of a multitude of takes, there is one part in TTT that the inconsistency is SO easy to see.<P> Eowyn is weeping over a dead Theodred, when Worm come slinky sneaky tricksy in. Then comes the "must have died during the night" speech. Now, when Eowyn and Worm are facing each other, we see an angle that would have been from the doorway. Then there's the "fair and cold" speech, all is from the same angle. (honestly I'd LOVE to see outtakes from this scene, I'd think they'd be rather funny). Eowyn says "Your words are poison" and stomps out of the room. Now as she is turning to go, the camera angle switches so that we see from the view that Theodred would have were he alive, Eowyn should be facing us and Worm should have his back to us. However, things switch, Eowyn as she leaves is turned away from us and Worm is where Eowyn was a millisecond before. Those two just can't stay in the same spot can they?<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 01-31-2003, 11:25 AM   #34
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Also he could have caught up with the balrog because it could have been trying to use its wings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Except, of course, for the fact that Balrogs don't have wings....or do they? <BR>No, don't answer that, I was only joking.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:07 PM   #35
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have scrolled through and I don't think anyone has noted this...<P>In the FotR when the nine companions are boating down the river Anduin, Frodo is sitting in front of Sam. However when they approach the Argonath, Frodo is behind Sam! <P>In the extended version this fits because they made a stop in between and it is perfectly logical to switch places the next day...but with the cut it just didn't quite work out

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:46 PM   #36
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the FotR when the nine companions are boating down the river Anduin, Frodo is sitting in front of Sam. However when they approach the Argonath, Frodo is behind Sam! <P>In the extended version this fits because they made a stop in between and it is perfectly logical to switch places the next day...but with the cut it just didn't quite work out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You must understand that the journey down the river took days.(more then two) So when you saw all those different shots of the river in the theatrical version that was representing a week's worth of paddling. Therefore the fact that Frodo and Sam switch places isn't a mistake at all. Though I guess it's confusing to some without the night scenes. They should have put text at the bottom saying: "One week later" or somthing.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #37
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Lastly, In TTT, when Haldir arrived at Helm’s Deep, Aragorn gave him a man-hug as oppose to Legolas’ elf-hug. Why didn’t he just pat Haldir’s shoulders the way Legolas did? That should’ve been his natural reaction, given the fact that he grew up with elves. The only excuse I could think of for Aragorn is that- upon realizing that the elves have come to their rescue, Aragorn, being a human (kind of), was overcome with emotion. Hence, the man-hug. Even so, is it inherent in human beings to hug when overcome by an extreme emotion such as the one Aragorn apparently felt? I don’t think so. Haldir was obviosly taken aback by Aragorn’s hug. You can tell by the expression on his face. (Either that or he thought Aragorn was smelly). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think this is a goof at all; yes, Aragorn is a man and he is so glad to see Haldir and hugs him. and yes Haldir is taken aback by it. I liked that scene quite a bit and think it is quite effective.<P>I also liked how Aragorn displays his human-nees when he yells in frustration and kicks the orc helmet or whatever it was.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Even so, is it inherent in human beings to hug when overcome by an extreme emotion such as the one Aragorn apparently felt? I don’t think so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>the way you phrase this, it almost sounds like you aren't a human being...
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:12 AM   #38
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I also liked how Aragorn displays his human-nees when he yells in frustration and kicks the orc helmet or whatever it was.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know if you know this, but Viggo broke a toe on that shot, the intensity of his yell seemingly reflects that.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:37 AM   #39
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannûnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I just watched FOTR again. Yes, that dying Boromir hand thing really bugs.
Dimannûnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #40
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I thought it was funny (the hand thing).<P>regarding aragorn's hug-<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the way you phrase this, it almost sounds like you aren't a human being...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That’s because I’m an electric calculator . I don’t mean to be punctilious. I was just wondering where Aragorn learned to behave like that. Certainly not from the elves. I liked the hug. It was cinematically pleasing but I don’t think it was consistent with the mannerisms of someone who was raised by elves. After all, isn’t hugginess an acquired behavior? Perhaps he picked it up from other rangers. Yeah, that’s probably it. <P>Whilst we’re on the subject. I also thought- Legolas losing it with Aragorn (whilst discussing the forthcoming battle) was totally out of character. Again, I’m not disputing the fact that the scene was a crowd pleaser. I loved it (yay). But I question the elf’s behavior since this is a thread about inconsistencies.<P>Btw, I say these things in the spirit of fun only/ cheeeers.