Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #121
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ok, well, I'm leaning away from moving my elf over from the Golden Perch and trying out somebody more ordinary. Is there a need for any particular kind of character, any particular occupation currently? If not, I am leaning towards creating a warrior-bard, or perhaps a hunter.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #122
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine is planning on building a mead hall of stone and we have no mason in our midsts. So...if that appeals to you, that's something that we need. But you can create any sort of character you like.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #123
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
we have no mason in our midsts.
Well, you know, Dan can do a bit (but he is more into carving and such-alike)
Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #124
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Did Form's Nain actually leave? Because if not we might have an NPC mason there.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #125
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well, you know, Dan can do a bit (but he is more into carving and such-alike)
Okay. That's neat. I did not read his bio, I'm sorry to say (I was sick at the time of it's posting, I think...? sick or gone), so I missed that. But a real mason would still be superb, especially since we're making an entire hall.

But I need to be quiet before I say something offensive and stick my foot in my mouth.

-- Folwren
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #126
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Very nice posts, LMP and Lhuna! I just hope that Rowena doesn't take her frusteration out on the newcomers at the hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Ok, well, I'm leaning away from moving my elf over from the Golden Perch and trying out somebody more ordinary. Is there a need for any particular kind of character, any particular occupation currently? If not, I am leaning towards creating a warrior-bard, or perhaps a hunter.
I was wondering when you would show up. Your hunter would be a welcomed help to Erbrand. He usually catches his prey with snares and that kind of stuff, but your hunters bow would be apreciated.

The mason is also a good job to have, so either way you go you're welcomed here.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #127
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Mason" is not a word to be found in Eorling (or Anglo-Saxon) culture. The best we have been able to come up with has been "stone shaper" - which Celuien's character, Garstan, is.

As for Nain, since Formy has not written in months, I'm of the opinion that Nain quietly stayed in Edoras for reasons of his own. If Formy shows up again, however, well, then that's two stoneshapers.

For crafts, look up the links at the beginning of this thread - Regia Anglorum I think is the site which gives some good ideas - you could google it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #128
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
"Mason" is not a word to be found in Eorling (or Anglo-Saxon) culture. The best we have been able to come up with has been "stone shaper" - which Celuien's character, Garstan, is.
I didn't know that Garstan was a stone shaper. Wow.

Never mind, then, Gwathagor. Sorry.

--Folwren
Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #129
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The light in the end of the tunnel can be seen already! It will take a few days and then I can upgrade myself with all that has happened! This sure has been one of the busiest springs I've ever had. As an educated guess I'd say in the beginning of next week I'll be with you in a way of commenting and posting.

Just a short one to all those new to the place. We have at present something like a dynamic duo of craftsmen there: Stigend the carpenter and Garstan the stone shaper. They both have their areas of expertise but they have become used to help each other out and even become good friends - and their children... well their children have done all little children can; from friendship to vengeful hatred...

So if you're bringing in a craftsman of any sort he surely would soon get to know the two and would be their close mate with the rebuilding.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #130
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Feanor of the Peredhil, known hereabouts as "Fea", having departed from the Downs ("It's time."), has happily agreed to leave the character Saeryn in the capable hands of Folwren, who will begin writing her character as soon as she is ready. Of course, a character sketch will be coming from Foley soon, with which I'm happy to help if asked. I don't know if Fea ever fully fleshed such a thing out, but much can be garnered from the old EOH thread.

Hmm..... I wonder why Foley wants to write Saeryn? Could it have something to do with Rowenna? (rhetorical question)
Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #131
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
It's a pity I never got a chance to write with Fea for the Hall. But I'm glad someone will continue for Saeryn, I really miss reading a post about her, and I'd love for she and Ginna to meet.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Some feminine plotting... yay...

Anyway, as you can see, I just posted. I always over-estimate how much time and effort it takes to write a post and that's why I post so rarely.

Nogrod - if you have time, reply, but if not, I guess you can do it later and pio can move it.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #133
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I talked to Lommy on the phone just a moment ago. We'll be writing a dialogue during the weekend that will continue Lommy's post with Modtryth and Stigend talking. So should I make a save or do we still extend this day over the weekend?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #134
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The rule I established, and Pio carried over to this thread, is that there are no SAVES. You post when you post. If the order needs to be changed, that can be arranged.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #135
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
The rule I established, and Pio carried over to this thread, is that there are no SAVES. You post when you post. If the order needs to be changed, that can be arranged.
That's okay.

I was just thinking that we had a particular discussion coming which would probably not involve any other characters (well, you never know!) and it was going to be a discussion in the dead of the night when everyone's sleeping. I wouldn't have liked to have stalled a group of people to post things for the next day if there was to be a change of the day before that as we can write that dialogue on Saturday the earliest I'd presume...

So the rule is a good one. I'm all for it in general.

But at this particular point as I was not sure what was the general mood - whether everyone were just waiting for the day to change or whether it just went on aimlessly and unforseeably forwards; or people waited for some particular night-posts - I felt like asking which way to go.

We'll post on the weekend for Modtryth and Stigend. If you feel to change the day before it please do. That is no problem. We can add that discussion of our characters to the end of Lommy's last post anyway.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #136
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think I will not introduce Saeryn back into the game until our next Day...and probably not until later in the day, as it would take a while to ride from Edoras to Scarburg, right?

-- Folwren
Old 04-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #137
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
it would take a while to ride from Edoras to Scarburg, right?
...or wherever Saeryn is coming back from.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #138
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
...or wherever Saeryn is coming back from.
When she was leaving, I understood that she was going to the Queen to be a hand maiden in her court?

EDIT: Of course, it would be interesting if she hadn't gone there...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #139
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think Fea left clues about alternate places she might go. But if it was the Queen's Court, that's sufficient.

Are we ready to start the next Day? Is there anyone besides Lommy & Noggie who need to post for this Night?

Lommy, I don't want to hold things up because Noggie can't post right away. I'd like you to edit in Modtryth's and Stigend's conversation into the end of your last post so that we can move on. Sound good?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-19-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #140
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm ready to move on whenever everyone else is.

I'll read more of Fea's posts about Saeryn and see about her.

-- Foley
Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #141
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eönwë, you left your siggie in your last post.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #142
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Are we ready to start the next Day? Is there anyone besides Lommy & Noggie who need to post for this Night?
I'm ready for the next day whenever you are.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #143
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Looks like Eonwe has a little more he wants to add for the night, so we'll hold off on the new day for just a bit yet. Thanks for your patience, everyone!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #144
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Looks like Eonwe has a little more he wants to add for the night, so we'll hold off on the new day for just a bit yet. Thanks for your patience, everyone!
Ok, I've finished, don't wait for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Eönwë, you left your siggie in your last post.
I'm sorry, I sorted it out now though. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #145
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sure am glad this is back. Wonder what happened. Anyway, anybody who wishes may begin the new Day - or I will add to my last post if I beat everybody to the punch.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #146
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

My character travels for miles and miles to get here and the best Erbrand can do is just ignore him? Humph! (even though if I was any other character but Dan, I would do the same)
Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #147
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
My character travels for miles and miles to get here and the best Erbrand can do is just ignore him? Humph! (even though if I was any other character but Dan, I would do the same)
The reason that I did that was because Erbrand is new to the hall and he doesn't know Dan is a new arrival. Tell you what I'll edit my post and he'll make an effort and speak to Dan. I feel like having a conversation anyway.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #148
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I made a deal with Lommy that we will write the scene between Modtryth and Stigend tomorrow evening so that it might be up here something like a little less than 24 hours from this moment. After that we should be ready to change the day... unless something too interesting develops.

Good to see you people in here! I'm trying to update myself on all things here tomorrow.

*Just sent the last obligatory workpapers that have dragged me down for weeks and months away today!*
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #149
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The reason that I did that was because Erbrand is new to the hall and he doesn't know Dan is a new arrival. Tell you what I'll edit my post and he'll make an effort and speak to Dan. I feel like having a conversation anyway.
I was going to say don't bother, because I don't really mind. But it looks like something more interesting is going to happen now...

EDIT: I'm sorry about my post, but it sort of went in the wrong direction, I think

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #150
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
EDIT: I'm sorry about my post, but it sort of went in the wrong direction, I think
It's fun when posts do that. It's happened with me before, I can assure you.

I'll try to post something for either Javan or Thornden tomorrow. And something for Saeryn before very much time has passed.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #151
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm busy all day today, except for maybe a quicky post (possibly) during lunch today. Carry on. I may have more of a chance tomorrow (which, Foley, explains why I'm not replying to your PM today).
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #152
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay.

Great stuff everyone! And you're truly welcome Eönwë and Groin. Nice writing!
(you see I have finally updated myself with this...)

Sorry for my post's length but Lommy had began that discussion and we were never able to post it in time (we made the dialogue a moment ago via PM's) so it's now in a past tense with a lots of explanations.

I thought first of making Stigend to go and greet Dan but then thought better of it as it would be foolish to make everyone do the same introductions one by one. I guess there will be something like an official introduction with the breakfast as only a few have met Dan this far.

Elempi, I made Stigend to throw that last line to lord Eodwine on purpose as it seems that not too many know about his interesting idea of making the Mead Hall from stone.

Nice to be back again!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #153
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I guess there will be something like an official introduction with the breakfast as only a few have met Dan this far.
I thought so too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Elempi, I made Stigend to throw that last line to lord Eodwine on purpose as it seems that not too many know about his interesting idea of making the Mead Hall from stone.
So Dan had better come in quick, because he has a little experience with stone-shaping/cutting/carving
Old 04-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #154
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Yes, I'll need to give some thought to a "breakfast meeting" regarding new folk, tasks to be accomplished, and Falco's leave-taking. I think that about covers it. Are there any other agenda items I need to remember?

I have a meeting all night so I must quit here.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #155
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Please remember to remove signatures to all posts to the Meadhall thread.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #156
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll see if I can put together a post continuing Stigend's conversation some time today.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #157
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I hope I can write something this weekend, but I might be all too busy... anyway, great to see things rolling.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #158
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I just wanted to let ya'll know that on May 2nd I'll be gone for two weeks on vacation, so be sure to leave Erbrand out of the drama, or at least don't ask him any questions because he won't be here to respond.

I'll get a post up sometime before I leave. I don't know about you guys, but Erbrand is hungry. Breakfast anyone?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #159
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Nogrod, Thinlomien, I PMed you regarding a character idea I have, but I think I should get your approval before I post. I can provide more detail if you want. Once you read my PM, just let me know if you need more information about my idea. Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #160
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Are people going to start hauling stones and stuff from the scars? Or at least begin quarrying them? What are the plans? How big of stones? How are we transporting them?