The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2002, 07:06 AM   #1
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
1420! what do you do to annoy people who don't like LOTR?

ok just wondering how do you annoy people who don't like LOTR. my big sis hates lotr so i annoy in everyway by 1. talking about lotr, 2. talking about barrowdowns and 3. everytime she does something stupid scream "Fool of a took".

also if someone threatens me i scream "Back you devils"

so what do you do?

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:09 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

OMG. There are so many. Of course, I don't reallt intend to annoy them at first. It just kinda ends up that way. Anyway,

1.I am always talking about the Hobbits and Elves.
2.I always wear my "one ring" to school {which for some reason does annoy people}
3.I am always talking about the movie with my LOTR loving friends
4.One time, I actually convinced this really gullible guy that my ring I got from the bookmark was the real one ring. I said that I had some family members that were friends with Elijah Wood, and he gave me the ring from the movie. AND he actually believed that my ring had powers. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, I got tons more. I just get tired of typing really fast. I may post again later.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:58 PM   #3
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Starting to act out the movie from the opening "I amar prestaraen" gets some annoyed glances...we do that sometimes. Or, we just pick a scene and act it all out when someone's who "hates" it is trying to talk.

Or, you can pretend to be a complete teeny-bopper and feign infatuation with Orlando Bloom/Viggo Mortensen/Billy Boyd/Elijah Wood/Dominic Mohaghan/Hugo Weaving/Ian McKellan (got some interesting looks for that one)/Ian Holm (that one too)/John Rhys-Davies (don't even go there with that one)/Sean Astin/Sean Bean/Christopher Lee (hehe). They always get annoyed when you do that...especially when you change your "infatuation" each day and start obssessing about someone knew.

Or, get into completely random Tolkien discussions in front of the person, getting into a fake argument with your friend in front of the person, and acting as if the one disagreement over the stupid Tolkien discussion will end your 8 year friendship forever.

I can think of more, I just don't feel like it...
Old 10-02-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I get everything they have of LotR and show my friends.
Make them watch the movie and listen to the CD.
Quote ramdom things.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am constantly talking about Lord of the Rings and the Barrowdowns. That really anoys people. And quoting is a sure way to drive my little brother up the wall. It's strange because you don't expect the older siblings to anoy the younger ones. Oh well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I do a ton of stuff, but here's my weirdest:

My friends and I staked out a street corner and acted out LOTR. We did some movie stuff and some book stuff. And we made money from people who thought we were homeless bums who needed money for food. But then there were the haters - people who asked us why we didn't have lives, that sort of thing.

I do have a life - LOTR and Tolkien are big parts of it!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:38 PM   #7
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

OMG Elenna! They said you didn't have a life? How stupid!

Anyway, most people at my school like LOTR. But they just like the movie. Not the books or anything else about it. Some of the GIRLS even call Legolas "that blonde Elf guy". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But the people who really get annoyed but what I talk about is the people who havn't even seen the movie. They are always saying how LOTR is so stupid. Of course, my answer..."Have you read the books? Have you seen the movie? NO!!! So how would you know if it is stupid or not?"

That one really gets 'em stumped.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I also say things like "Yes, I read TRUE literature. What do you read? Or can you just not read?"

Sure, it's mean, but whenever somebody attacks my Tolkien habits, they need to be TAKEN DOWN!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:58 PM   #9
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
I decorate all my stuff with LotR thingys. It annoys some people. I annoy people period. It's my job [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . And at band all I'll play is stuff from LotR like concerning hobbits etc [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #10
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

i can annoy people without even mentioning lotr. shocking, eh? (ah, sarcasm)
Old 10-02-2002, 04:17 PM   #11
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, I love to do all those things. Definetly like to quote from the movie and/or book. Hehe, here's a good one though:
Talk to them, on and on about a specific part in the book then be like, oh yeah did you get to that part yet? Ah, it was the best! Oh, and also sad, I was like..(and so on) and then they're like...Um..yeah ok. And then you say, Oh..that's right...you don't like LotR. Ok, well I'll just go talk to someone else then.

If they're snobby, mean, and you really don't like them, add at the end that you'll go talk to someone worthy enough to listen to you, lol. (Ok, I'm really not a mean person though!)
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:32 PM   #12
Narlothgulwendil

Sting

Ah, I had my own One Ring once, but it has been misplaced. I've been VERY concerned about it. Even as I type this, I feel my heart wrench. Though it's probably somewhere in my room, you never know. I suppose it may be for the better, because It was beginning to gat a hold on us... I mean me. And I like the idea with reenacting scenes. Hmm...
Anyhow, on to my suggestions:
Generally act like Smeagol/Gollum. Only that usually just scares people
Start smiling whenever anything even vaguely reminds you of Tolkien or any of his work.
(I know it's been mentioned before) Quote LotR whenever possible.
Constantly write your notes in Tengwar (Ok, haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on it)
Doodle LotR-related things on your notes.
Talk about Arda and its events enough to make people think it actually exists (you mean it doesn't? Shut up, you! Um, okay).
Wear a cape to school(I plan on doing so once my mom makes it), and sport Elf Ears (again, not until I send the order, which could take long, as I don't have a credit card).
Get the teacher mad at you by discussing the Balrog Wing Debate (makes sign against evil) in class instead of doing your work.
That's all I can think of for now.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:57 AM   #13
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
The Eye

One of my favorite annoying-things-to-do is to tape things written in Elvish outside my dorm room. Most people on my floor have never even heard about Tolkien, much less know how to speak Elvish, and for some absurd reason, seeing my random snippets of writing makes them incredibly angry. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I don't know.

The funny thing is, one of my roommates absolutely DETESTS anything having to do with LotR (or I think just literature in general). The other day she summed up Tolkien's entire legacy in her favorite three words: 'stupid little books.' So now, JUST for her, I quote from those 'stupid little books' left and right, and I'm in the process of proving to her just how wrong she is ... simultaneously educating AND perturbing her.
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 10:13 AM   #14
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do absolutely nothing! Those people are simply not worth enough to go waste my precious time.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

My cousin read LotR some time ago, and claims that he liked it, but not enough to go see the movie. Like that was so hard to do, and now it's on DVD, but noooo....

So anyway, we like to write goofey stories together, and in them we parody, emulate and plagerize our favorite things. Like we've got Indiana Jones and Star Wars and Lewis Carroll and Secret Agents (though I don't really like James Bond) all stewing together in our freaky little pot (or "plot" hehe).

So lately I've been writing LotR jokes right and left. One character is named Tuck (short for Kentucky, a spoof on Indiana) and I wrote, "Fool of Tuck!" Since it's been so long since he read the book, he's was like, "Okaaaaaay..."

I figure I'll make him curious enough to re-read or view the movie eventually. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #16
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

the best is when people ask where someone is and you just casual reply..
"mm.. i think he/she went to find the the sun"
or
"i saw them getting dragged off by orcs a couple of minutes ago but i was doing my hair/couldn't find my arrows etc
wierd stares follow until you have to explain.. good education for them!
i also love to write the date in elvish on the board in french class, no wonder the teacher thinks i'm crap at french
Old 10-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #17
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Try to start telling the entirety of "The Silmarillion" in history class.

(Note: see "Situation Comedy" in this same forum to see what that's all about!)

I would have told the whole thing too...
Old 10-06-2002, 08:06 PM   #18
Samwise_Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I haven't really done these b4, but I can picture them!

My mom asking me what I want for dinner, I say: tomahtoes, sausage and nice crispy bacon!

(This one is of you have seen the new TTT trailer) 3 people come to your door, you say: What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have at my doorstep? Speak quickly!

(This one is of you have seen the new TTT trailer) You are outside with 3 friends, and you go back inside leaving your friends outside, then you come back and say: I come back to you now, at the turn of the time.

Relatives come over to your house, and they are all in the livingroom, you come out from your room, look at that over-sized uncle (or whatever) and say: They have a cave troll

Good-bye for now!

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise_Gamgee ]
Old 10-06-2002, 08:16 PM   #19
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Wild (I just love solar powered computers, don't you?
Artanis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is nothing better to do than to glare at random people and start chanting in Elvish under your breath. All I am really saying is "I have given Hope to the Duinedain..." and "A! Elbereth, Glithoneil" but it really creeps them out!
Old 10-07-2002, 01:24 PM   #20
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Artanis - I do the same thing! Also, I turn off the lights in the locker room and sing Elbereth Gilthoniel while I turn them back on.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:34 PM   #21
Mithril
Pile O'Bones

Mithril has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All I have to do to annoy the girl who sits next to me in my Business Computer class is to come on this site during class, which I do all the time. I also talk about LOTR a lot, and quote and wear the one ring every day. Also, I plan to wear a cloak to school, after I actaully sew it. Also, I went trough The Hobbit and got the entire alphabet in runes, so I write in Runes a lot now.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:39 PM   #22
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I always find that a dark mutter works best... as to the Elbereth Glithonel thing, do you sing it? If so, may I have the melody? I would like to see if I could play it on my cello [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #23
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here are a few things i do to annoy my friends:

1. ALL my wallpaper for my desktop is Tolkein related, so when my friends come to use the computer they see The Great Eye watching them. lol!

2. I quote from the movie and the books alot.

3. I do the funky chicken lookin dance that Frodo does in the movie, while talking or walking through the mall.

4. I talk about how great The Barrow Downs is (for some reason this really annoys them).
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 03:56 PM   #24
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

My friends (except Shadow_Staar) don't really understand my Barrow-Downs addiction either...

Philistines, all of them!
Old 10-07-2002, 04:01 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Artanis: I don't know what...oh dang I forgot who it was...but I don't know what tune the person who sings Elbereth Gilthoniel uses in her locker room...but I know I've heard a really nice melody for that song on the CD "The Starlit Jewel". It helps for singing...though not with the cello. But I thought it would interest you, anyway.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #26
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Just talking to my friends and family about LOTR or The Barrow Downs annoys them. Don't get me wrong- my friends are major fans of LOTR, but apparently I talk about it a little too often. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 08:10 PM   #27
Artanis
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thanks so much! I will remember that. Does your locker room have good acustics? LOL [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 10:10 PM   #28
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

in marching band, i like to play track no. 11 (the ring goes south) and sum of track 17 (the breaking of the fellowship).

then there's this boy named ad***** his name is too foul to utter here. neway, in the marching band drill i am the farthest person back on the field, and he's in front of me. (hard to see the drum major; even though he's way younger than me, he's much taller) i was happy b/c the directors can't notice you're getting revenge on cursed creatures. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] he kept on calling JRRT gay, kept saying that Bilbo and Frodo wanted each other, that Bilbo's name was suppose to be "D!ldo" (sry about the language!) and that my "top 10 reasons u noe ur a JRRT fan" shirt was missing the words "is gay" after JRRT. i was reallyyyy POed. so u remember that part of drill i was talking about when i was in the back of the field? well i would always whisper for him to leave his spot early. (he learned soon to do that or else a trumpet would make a dent in his arm.) then i would hit him and at the same time said "arn't u supposed to b up there?" in a nice voice. he thought this whole time i was joking though when i was really mad at him. today at our competition on the bus, he "retracted" all his statements he had ever said about lotr stuff b/c i was telling everyone how he's so ignorant for having the nerve to put runes on his pillow and then dis JRRT. that'll teach him to mess with an angry halfling! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
that does have to do w/ the topic b/c after awhile ppl were wondering why i was so mad and were telling me to let it go b/c they were tired of hearing about it. hehe i guess i am annoying.
also, nething i do in my life consists of lotr related things, and ppl just don't pay attention nemore. oh well. i'll make it back to my homeland one day.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 06:33 PM   #29
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All sixth graders at school say that LOTR sucks and Harry Potter is better. So every time someone says this, I make fun of the Harry Potter books by there names, like:

Harry Smokes Potter And The Scorsuor Is Stoned
Old 10-19-2002, 11:23 PM   #30
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I talk about it so much they get annoyed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I also like to quote the movie a lot! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 01:56 PM   #31
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I quote all the time.
Even in places in the conversation where the quote doesn't make sense.
I can be talking about anything ans suddenly say "Crebain from Dunland!" It really annoys people. Especially if you do it three or four times a day with the same quote [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 02:51 PM   #32
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wore the one ring for a time but the teacher confiscated it [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] and I often add in quotes from the books or movie (I don't get why the ring annoys people, but it does)
Old 10-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #33
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Very funny. Not so much in the middle of conversation but whenever there's a silence and I know everyone in the room will hear me I often shout out quotes such as "What are you doing, THOSE WRAITHS ARE STILL OUT THERE!"

And I also use simile A LOT in conversation. Example. "As black as Weathertop" or " I guess I'll just have to play Gandalf to your Balrog"
Old 10-21-2002, 05:08 PM   #34
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Quote:
" I guess I'll just have to play Gandalf to your Balrog"
That sounds very dangerous, Eomer. Careful, now... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:59 AM   #35
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Remember who won that fight Diamond.

Gandalf.

That's who.

I laugh in the face of danger.

Oh and another thing I do to annoy people who don't like TLOTR.

I slap them around the head.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:49 PM   #36
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA! These are great! I got a cousin who does the whole "Act like Gollum" thing. (Poor girl. She doesn't have her own ring.)

What really annoys people where I live, is to talk on, and on, and on, about LOTR, really fast so they can't get a word in edgewise, and then say "You DO know about LOTR, right?"

then when they say no, shake your head, and walk away. Heh heh! It's great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:14 PM   #37
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Harry Smokes Potter And The Scorsuor Is Stoned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious! I would do that, except I don't know anyone who likes Harry Potter more (or less) than LotR, lucky for them.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #38
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
1420!

I quote both movie and books constantly. My favorite thing to say is:
Quote:
Oh, that's great! Ash in my tomatoes!
with an accent like Pippins. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:38 PM   #39
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I say that a lot too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And "What about second breakfast?" Actually, I quote a lot of movies, OFTEN! But mostly, LOTR, and The Emperor's New Groove. (That is SUCH a quotable movie! "*gasp* My spinach puffs!") [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:29 PM   #40
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

quote:"and sport elf ears"
where do you get them?
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote