The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2002, 07:46 AM   #1
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Boromirs death - skill acting

In some bits of FOTR I laughed and I cried, but there was one bit which stuck out in my mind because the acting was so perfect.

When Boromir was dying, I actually almost felt physically sick and I think it's some of, if not THE best acting I've ever seen. I'm not even a big Sean Bean or Boromir fan! Even though I've read the book and knew he was going to die, it still shocked and chokes me every time I see it.

When the first arrow hit him it was the way you could hear his breathing and then he looked at Merry and Pippin and got up with such determination.

When the second arrow hit him and they were both sticking out, still he launched himself up and for some bizarre reason I thought 'He's gonna make it!' I felt that arrow enter.

The third time, I still felt hope despite everything until I heard the music come on in the background and this time he didn't get up. He just turned to Merry and Pippin and the way he looked at them was as if to say, 'I'm sorry...'. (This gets me the same way Spike gets me at the end of season 5 Buffy when he tries to help Dawn (sorry, beside the point)). By this point, I was surprised to find a tear running down my cheek, and one of the wierdest things was the way I hurt as if they'd hit me.

Then Lurtz stood in front of him and the way that Boromir, that proud warrior, had to look up at him choked me, and the way Lurtz shook his head and was about to shoot him from point blanc range...uh...that bit really got me...

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 05-15-2004 at 02:57 PM. Reason: The HTML was...dire...and I hadn't, it seems, discovered grammar...
Amanaduial the archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:58 AM   #2
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree; that part of the movie was heart-breaking. I read the books after seeing the movie, so I kept thinking "He has to make it! He can't die!" especially after he kept getting up again and again after being shot. It is just so sad the way each time he is shot it looks like his is in too much pain to get up, but he forces himself to fight for Merry and Pippin. And then when he talks to Aragorn before he dies...even though the whole speech was not in the book, I think it was excellent. Oh, I'm getting tears in my eyes as I think of it...
Old 05-03-2002, 10:49 AM   #3
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know what you mean. The first time I saw that first arrow hit, it was almost like I was in shock. By the time Boromir says ...my King." I'm in tears, practically inconsolable. As I said on another thread, I have a friend who created a slideshow, and he put a bunch of pics from that scene in there just to make me cry. *sob*<P>Sean Bean did a really excellent job. I adore that man!
Old 05-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #4
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

u hav cool friends!<P>*sob*<P>*sob*

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 08-18-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: For the sake of editing, really. I leave this post on the Downs as a permanent embarassing memory. Shoot me.
Amanaduial the archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:16 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

ok, i knew i shouldn't have read this topic - i'm already teary-eyed thinking about the part of the movie.<P>to be honest, in all the times that i had read the books(>25) i never felt anything positive about Boromir. in fact, when aragorn sends his body down the river in a boat, i thought he was being generous in the kind things he said.<P>but, sean bean and PJ did an incredible job of bringing this character to life - making him a conflicted human, as we all are, who makes wrong choices from perceived right goals, and then has the grace to admit his mistake and seek forgiveness.<P>btw, i am a wholehearted sean bean fan and i was prepared to see him play boromir as a thoroughly nasty bad guy. but he brought such depth of character to the part that i was overwhelmed at his ability!
Old 05-03-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Sting

same, all through the book i was like "Oh god, not him AGAIN!" i mean i didnt exactly have charitable thoughts towards him and in the book when he died it was like "ah well, c'est la vie, er, mort!"
Old 05-03-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I agree. In the book i hated Boromir, but in the movie i started crying when he died. Weird.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:27 AM   #8
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Boromeer was a great warrior, in the book and in the movie.<BR>All warriors should go down fighting and Boromeer’s death was perfect.<BR>Now Lurtz could be a great warrior too, but he was taking a cheap shot at the helpless Borormeer. Aragorn is a great warrior too.<P>All such warriors should be mourned in the fashion of the Klingons!<P>Hhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwlllll!!!
Old 05-04-2002, 04:34 AM   #9
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, That looked so real. I hadnt of read the book, and it came as a real shock, and I had to shut my eyes because it looked so real. But it seemed fitting that he was to die still fighting. I really got to me when he gave that look to Merry and Pippin as they were taken away, he looked so sad.
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 04:51 PM   #10
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love Borimir's character in the book and in the movie. Now, I know that he is not a complex a character as Gollum/Smeàgol, but I could see his pride, his love for country and his valour/bravery. <P>His death was one of the best fight/death scense that I have ever seen. I have only seen the movie twice, but I cried each time. My favorite line was "I would have followed you , my brother. My captain. My king. " It seemed so right. Almost like PJ, Fran and Phillipa read Tolkien's mind.<P>I can't wait to see his brother, Faramir. I loved his character so much. He has a purity and an innocence about him. Truthful, honest and loving. <P>Just hope Dec comes much quicker and August comes tomorrow!

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:42 PM   #11
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First time I read FotR I couldn't stand Boromir, then I went and re read the book from CoE to the end and I relised that he wasn't so bad after all. When I saw the movie I had not read TTT and as I had grown to really like him I had was very upset when he died. Took all my skills not to cry, I don't cry in public. Sean Bean did a very good job as Boromir.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 06:04 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

here's a bone for those who liked boromir/sean bean in the movie - he has filmed some additional scenes which will be in the next one possibly two parts of the series!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:46 PM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought that they dragged out his dying way too long! It was terrific acting, so good that I did not want to watch it, and wish it was quicker, instead they should have put in a few more minuts of Lothlorien or something.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:21 PM   #14
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In another post just a minute ago I'm praising Boromir, and yay! I get to do it again!<P>The acting at the end of the movie was awesome!<P>I've seen the movie 7 times already and still each time I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time Boromir dies. It's almost pathetic.<P>You FEEL it every time he gets hit. Every time. I know I for one, I do this little gasp kind of thing and I'll tense up with each arrow. I'll even lurch foward or something as though I'm being hit. It's scary and sad. The 2nd time I saw it was actually the worst because the 1st time I saw it I couldn't see ANYTHING I was crying so hard. <P>And his eyes TALK to you, much like Elijah Wood's Frodo's eyes. You know when actors look at the camera, or at someone else, and you KNOW what they are thinking?? Sean does that SO well. He is SPEAKING without actually having to TALK.<P>Sean Bean is an amazing actor, and should have gotten SOME sort of award(s). <P>"O Boromir! The tower of guard shall ever northward gaze<BR>To Rauros, gold Rauros-falls, until the end of days."<P>~ Lanniae the Axe<BR>Who would also like to know, even though Boromir is her favorite character, why Gimli doesn't get very much atention. Legolas, of course, only gets it cuz he's hot, and Aragorn cuz he's king, etc. What's everyone got against Gimli?! He rocks! But that's a whole other subject, stick to Boromir here, Lanniae.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #15
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

In another post just a minute ago I'm praising Boromir, and yay! I get to do it again!<P>The acting at the end of the movie was awesome!<P>I've seen the movie 7 times already and still each time I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time Boromir dies. It's almost pathetic.<P>You FEEL it every time he gets hit. Every time. I know I for one, I do this little gasp kind of thing and I'll tense up with each arrow. I'll even lurch foward or something as though I'm being hit. It's scary and sad. The 2nd time I saw it was actually the worst because the 1st time I saw it I couldn't see ANYTHING I was crying so hard. <P>And his eyes TALK to you, much like Elijah Wood's Frodo's eyes. You know when actors look at the camera, or at someone else, and you KNOW what they are thinking?? Sean does that SO well. He is SPEAKING without actually having to TALK.<P>Sean Bean is an amazing actor, and should have gotten SOME sort of award(s). <P>"O Boromir! The tower of guard shall ever northward gaze<BR>To Rauros, gold Rauros-falls, until the end of days."<P>~ Lanniae the Axe<BR>Who would also like to know, even though Boromir is her favorite character, why Gimli doesn't get very much atention. Legolas, of course, only gets it cuz he's hot, and Aragorn cuz he's king, etc. What's everyone got against Gimli?! He rocks! But that's a whole other subject, stick to Boromir here, Lanniae.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:28 PM   #16
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Old 05-04-2002, 08:29 PM   #17
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

whoa, sorry guys, jsut realised my computer is messed up and i sent the same message 3 times! woops!<P>~Lanniae
Old 05-05-2002, 10:23 AM   #18
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would have followed you , my brother. My captain. My king. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>sob<BR>sob<BR>sob<BR>oh god now i feel pathetic...
Old 05-07-2002, 04:37 PM   #19
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

guess this constitutes necrosadobestiality (beating the dead horse) but that was fine work. Hey Lannaie, i too have seen it seven times (7th -- 26 Feb, the day the movie ends) -- okay, no, 8 times, when the trailer for TT came out... B) and i feel every arrow shot (first one usually gives me whiplash!)<P>Gives the character much more depth than putting him off camera the way it was done in the book...<P>s.t.<BR>Bring on those flashbacks!
Old 05-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #20
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Man, yeah, Saxony knows what I'm talking about. But I think we all feel--even just a LITTLE--emotion or pain of our own when we see Boromir die. SO SAD! <P>--Lanniae
Old 05-12-2002, 03:19 PM   #21
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, that scene was done wonderfully! I think I might have cried the first time I saw it, and I'm not really a teary person. The way Boromir's redemption was portrayed was excellent. And that line was perfect.<P>For those of you who want to read some great Boromir characterization, click on the fanfic link in my signature. That is a very heart-wrenching story!<p>[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:53 PM   #22
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Amanaduial, your description of the Boromir's death was so great! It really made me think about harder. And Lanniae, I really loved how you drescribed Boromir/Sean Bean. It was the absolute truth.<BR> I hadn't read the books before I'd seen the movie so I didn't think much of Boromir's death the first time I saw it, but after reading the books and realizing who Boromir really was, I am so moved by his death scene. It truly was great acting and every time those arrows hit, I feel it. I've never actually cried at THAT part, but I always feel really sad.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #23
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that issuch a moving death scene. probably one of the best. i cry Evry Single Time during that part, and ive seen the movie 4 times. sean bean did the role very well. in the books i kinda though he was a bit of an idiot, but in the movie, we see the depth of his character. o so sad. whaaaaa. *sniffle* ill go now, and stop inflicting my mopey weepings on the rest of humanity.
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #24
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Gragongirl, I tried to read your fic but the link wouldn't work! I adore LOTR fics... *except for slash...*<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #25
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Whups, DragongirlG, guess I misstyped your name ther! *hehe silly me* Still want to read your fic!<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-14-2002, 10:27 AM   #26
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

Lanniae -- try going there 'the hard way' if you have to -- the story's well worth it. (i love What-Ifs... what if Boromir went over to the Dark Side... scary! i'd have a hard time watching that movie; like a train wreck -- horrifying but you can't take your eyes off the screen)<P>DragonGirl -- good recommendation!<P>s.t.<P>"Aragorn still has two movies to convince me he's the King, but Boromir's the Hero. That's right, the Hero..."
Old 05-14-2002, 10:54 AM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

you can paste this URL and see if you can get to dragongirlG's site - it's well worth it!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=625151&chapter=1" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=625151&chapter=1</A> <P>btw - i just went to see FOTR with a friend for the 15th time - yes we are fanatics and yes we cried at the death scene!!
Old 05-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #28
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

The part where he says "My. Captain. My King," reminds me of that poem by Walt Whitman, but in reverse, if you get me. The poem is called "O Captain, My Captain" or something like that. It was written as a tribute to Abe Lincoln. The similarity struck me at the time. (I think it also applies to other parts of the movie as well...)
Old 05-14-2002, 11:59 AM   #29
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

Yeah, that line should have been in the book! ...sorry, Prof, i believe you've been outdone in some parts by this movie, and actors, and while we're on the subject of the actor, let me ask you guys & gals, did ya notice how when he was, say, teaching Merry & Pippin swordfighting (and getting dog-teamed by two playful Hobbits, and laughing with 'em about it) and other particularly noble gestures, he presented himself as physically handsome (compared to the rest of the humans in the cast, esp. the folks in the Inn) whereas when sinking to the depths of the role's more, shall we say, base and morally corrupt behavior, he got UGLY? The scene where he snaps and lunges at a certain Hobbit being the most salient example? i find that quite a jolt (even after 8 viewings) -- but i've also seen it done in a graphic novel on my bookshelf, to a symbolic effect that isn't lost on the reader (The Incal, can't recall who wrote it right now but the artist is Möebius, it's a French production, and worth searching out)<P>|_|) <-- it comes in pints, and this one's for the subject of the thread. Skoal!<P>s.t.<P>(Whoo! i do think that man's made himself a new fan!)
Old 05-14-2002, 03:44 PM   #30
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Ninja Ferret! I've heard that before! Dude, I know what you are talking about! Holy shasta...the more i think about it... I gotta go read it--<P><BR>heh...just kidding. later.<P>Oh, and about the story, I got it bookmarked and will go back when I have time! *gasp* That puppy looked long! i read fast...but not that fast! Read the first few paragraphs, and it looked good!<P>God, school, be over! Be over! Only 2 weeks now, guys!!<P>--Lanniae
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #31
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Sean bean is the perfect Boromir!!!!!! I wanna cry when he dies! So sad!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote