The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Barrow Downs Products

In response to popular demand, i've started this hopefully mirthful thread.

Now, we have seen Boromir 88's thread on action figures you'd like to see. But what about Barrow-Downer action figures?

Mine would definitely be in a blue spangly box, and be called Space Cadet Lalwende. The accessories would include some vague text on cosmology, a pack of little tiny ciggies and a big spider. It would be like one of those Hobbit action figures, slightly smaller than the normal figures.

But what about other Barrow-Downs merchandise?

How about little packets of luminous green matchsticks to help keep our eyes open after endless hours online? Or Barrow-Downs damp cloths to soothe furrowed brows after reading something from the C thread?
Old 12-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
1420!

I would like to add "Giggle Calming Pills" for Middle-earth Mirth threads.
"Have you ever started laughing and not been able to stop? Try Giggle Calming Pills! Instantly stops laughter. Take 1 to stop laughing for 30 seconds so that you can take a breath. 2 will stop the laughter for 2 minutes. Just enough to move on to the next post! Giggle Calming Pills! Side effects include: drowsiness, hairy feet, hysteria, and strange coughing noises in throat. Gollum gollum!"
Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Special Offer on Random Titles!

If I had an action figure, it would probably be a really cheesy one. (Hopefully it would look like me, unlike some action figures and there namesakes.) The toy would wear baggy cargo pants and a t-shirt. It would come with a computer, cd player and cds and some books. Interesting features would include:
~push a button and hear me say "Jello!"
~move arms and my fingers will type
~Head bobbles with music.

As for other Barrowdowns products, how about a t-shirt that reads "My other tombstone is my signature." (If that makes any sense at all.)
Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Cutting and pasting from the original thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
How about a HerenIstarion the Munificent™ figure with thread bumping action. He is programmed to recognise clever remarks, which cause him to wave his magic repping wand.

Or a Barrow-Wight™ figure with thread deleting action, programmed to make a wry comment when you say something stupid. Oh, and he glows green in the dark.
And there's always the burrahobbit™ action figure - suitable for (very) short but effective periods of play.

But be careful with the obloquy™ figure. It tears new additions to your collection to shreds if they don't shape up.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:56 AM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have just put in a patent for The Barrow-Downer DVD Mate TM. This product is a little wraith shaped thingy which sits on top of the TV and by magic (i.e. infra-red) detects those times when a LotR DVD is watched. It is a labour saving device as it shouts random criticisms while any of the films is watched, thus saving us our breath. Selected phrases include: "But of course, it would be much better if they had kept Tom Bombadil", "That should be Glorfindel, not XenArwen rescuing Frodo", and "This portrayal of Denethor is incorrect".

I also want a Moderator action figure. It is a vague shaped thing, it looks different every time you look at it and is faintly scary, and it has a little button on the back you can press, making it say it's phrases "Let's get back on topic" and "This thread has been closed".
Old 12-17-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Don't forget the cuddly skwerlz that accompany the moderator action figures - they can talk too! They are programmed to speak one of five different sentences:

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
C7A action figure: A charming and matronly hobbit-lady with a firm voice and toes that dig in during deep debates (especially debates about Frodo.)

Squatter of Amon Rudh action figure: comes with wrought iron fence, glow-in-the-dark-flashlight accessory, and two tombstones labeled BEREN and LUTHIEN.

H-I action figure: one arm lights fireworks. The other arm gives jewels. However the best thing about this action figure is that it can enter ancient libraries (swirling impressive wizard's robe) dust off an old scroll, and bring it out to the front door. Has a very pleasant smile.

Mister Underhill action figure-- very limited edition. Nobody knows what it looks like.

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-22-2004 at 04:06 PM. Reason: to include H-I's wizard robe.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
[b]H-I action figure: one arm lights fireworks. The other arm gives jewels. However the best thing about this action figure is that it can enter ancient libraries, dust off an old scroll, and bring it out to the front door. Has a very pleasant smile.

Perhaps the HI figure could be in a set with the B88 one.... special edition for the discerning collector ... with LOTS of fireworks

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Rimbaud action figure: left arm extend partway as figure says:
Quote:
Darkling I listen; and, for many a time
I have been half in love with easeful Death,
Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath
Comes packaged with complete works of Keats and a Kermit beanie-baby.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
C7A action figure: A charming and matronly hobbit-lady with a firm voice and toes that dig in during deep debates (especially debates about Frodo.)
Thanks, Helen.

You must have been speaking with my family. They have another word for it: pig headed and stubborn!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Very funny, thanks Helen for directing me here

My add up:

mark 12_30™ action figure - is very amicable, tells jokes with a moral one probably would not understand without being widely read, and has very pointed silences - once it stops talking to you, the right guess would be you did say something not acceptable or were not a good boy/gel lately at all!

Saulotus™ action figure - sombre and a bit bulky one, knows all there is to know about Tolkien Canon and Uncanon, and utters exclamations curiosly resembling 'balderdash' and 'absolute rubbish' any time anyone starts speculating about anything vaguely reminiscent of Tolkien. If the 'speculator' insists on commiting the same crime again, kicks off prolix discourses referring to numerous sources and producing manuscripts out of his sleeve. We are awfully sorry, but Saulotus™ action figure is out of stock currently. Try searching under Bob Wehadababyitsaboy™ or similar keywords. But the latter is equally out of stock, we are grieved to inform you. Try again later

Balin999™ action figure comes with a bonus helicopter. Never says the same thing twice.

Sharkŭ™ action figure does a lot of work behind the stage, being, at the same time, constantly (and mysteriously) absent. You lose the chance of seeing the figure again as soon as you buy it - its stand will always be marked with a litle cardboard sign reading 'away' in a fine curly script

Who's Online™ digital chess set - requires great patience on behalf of the gamers, as they must catch their chance of starting the game exactly at the time when 64 members are online. And beware of the spiders - they tend to haunt same squares as pieces do use for the moves.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:50 PM   #12
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Then there's Super Saucepan Man! Armed with a variety of cooking utensils and cloaked in mystery, Super Saucy comes to the rescue with a clanging of pans and the glint of sunlight upon steel. All who do evil shall feel the wrath of his flying saucepan of doom.
Oh, no no no...The Saucepan Man is strickly a younger child's toy. Have you not seen "The Saucepan Man's Happy Fun Cookset With Real Working Fireplace"? You can really cook, with the included hobbitish recipes!

• Appetizer: Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
• Main Course: Charbroiled Mutton Roast with Mushroom Sauce
• Second Course: Stewed Vegetables and Mushrooms
• Third Course: Pan-fried Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
• Fourth Course: Toasted Bread and Cheese
• Dessert: Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, and Berry Pie

Plus, directions are included for home-brewed ale. Impress your friends at your next Party!
(Some assembly required.)

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots FEAR THE RANDOM TITLE! please...

Quote:
The BRAND NEW How do you imagine other BDers? Doll! It spouts off descriptions of BDers (true or untrue) that have been thrown around on the aforementioned thread!
It may require a slight cautionary warning: SOME USERS WILL HEAR DISCRIPTIONS THAT ARE HIGHLY ACCURATE! (Most cases are minor and rare, contact your fellow member if symptoms persist. )

Another slightly (or hopefully) brilliant idea:
Do you ever tire of relentess unintelligent comments about your adored books conjured up by Tolkien himself? Don't you ever wish you couldn't hear those fools poking fun at LOTR? Now you can! Purchase the "BD'ER SOUND CANCELATION REMOTE" Batteries not included.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The New line of Barrow Products from Broken-Toys inc. will include,

Of course, the Barrow Wight’s Book (See The Future of the Downs tread)

The Green Dragon Inn play set, complete with drunken Hobbit action.

Tol-in-Gaurhoth Play board game. Complete with working gallows.

Collectable Green boxes.

And of course, Gandalf the grey action figures with uncloaking action.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Morsul the Dark' Chocalate Chip Cookie Mix
Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Barrowdowns Peach Cobbler- Delicous dessert of peaches with ice cream over top. Comes in two flavors, Durelin Dark Chocolate & Estel (uh...) Even Darker Chocolate. More flavors coming soon!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Collectable Green boxes.
Which come packaged in really fancy green boxes, and so three years down the line you will find them being sold on ebay at inflated prices because they are 'mint' and have not been played with.

A new product released earlier this week was the Error 403 Screensaver. This comes packaged with a utility that enables you to quickly click on it if parents are looming large over your shoulder trying to see what you're up to; the screensaver should swiftly cloak any untoward Mirth activity.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #18
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Quote:
Collectable Green boxes.
That'll be a hit. I can already imagine the hefty prices associated with them. Though, with those purtty green boxes, consumers will want ways to protect them and keep them in their most valuable condition:

~Air tight boxes for the boxes
~Certificates of Authenticity (can you imagine all the counterfeits!)
~An "Fool of A Took's Guide to Collecting Green Boxes"
~And of course, a extravagant display case.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #19
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
Barrowdowns Peach Cobbler- Delicous dessert of peaches with ice cream over top. Comes in two flavors, Durelin Dark Chocolate & Estel (uh...) Even Darker Chocolate. More flavors coming soon!

Let's not overlook (Beth)berry Pie and Lhunarda Liquorice Twists and mormegil morsels. I think that we might be coming out soon with Pio Stiks too!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Sauce as the bishop though? Hmmm. I've never really envisioned him in Bishop's vestments but I guess it is true that loyers tend to cut angles rather than move in straight directions
He'd probably be like this:

Note: Saucepan also available as part of the Barrow Downs' hat collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bishop Saucepan.jpg (22.9 KB, 486 views)
Old 05-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
He'd probably be like this:

Note: Saucepan also available as part of the Barrow Downs' hat collection.
That 'plot' he's holding? Is he about to lose it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I might have been tempted to name a few other Downers as the Queens but the gentlemen in question might not have approved.
*hopes Bethberry will spill the beans*
Old 05-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
That 'plot' he's holding? Is he about to lose it?
I was originally going to put "Werewolf plot" but I didn't think that was funny enough, so I left it as simply "Plot" so you can fill in the gaps yourself.

Anyway, this Barrow Downs Chess may be subject for a thread in itself!

Oh, and...

For all your DEATH metal and grave music and... well, I ran out of puns... but here is a format to play all your Barrow Music on.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-02-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #23
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
*hopes Bethberry will spill the beans*
Oh now Lal. All the fun's in how you imagine it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #24
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Bump!

I was just wondering how we're suposed to pay for this stuff without a Barrow Card... then, it struck me! Monies!

Oh, and I'm sure the Saucepan man (or someone) posted about keeping your clothes as Wight as they can be. Well, now you can do the same for your teeth!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wighter Teeth.jpg (10.7 KB, 487 views)
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #25
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Those are some sweet looking coins- and I don't say that just because I'm on one of them.

But I must ask... what's the other side look like? Do we get the professor's profile in all it's crownéd glory?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #26
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Bump!

I know Barrow Downs T-Shirts already exist... But I've not seen them for a while. Also, I wanted to try my hand at designing one or two...

Soon to be available from all good clothes shops and some rubbish ones as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrow Shirt.jpg (26.6 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg Barrow Shirt reverse.jpg (24.3 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg zoom shirt.jpg (22.7 KB, 510 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #27
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Cool t-shirts! And t-shirts are quite cheap to have printed up, you know, if you wanted to get yourself a unique design.

Esty turned her Barrow Downs t-shirt into a bag and brought it to Birmingham last year, making sure lots of people saw it! I wonder if she has a picture???
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #28
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cool t-shirts! And t-shirts are quite cheap to have printed up, you know, if you wanted to get yourself a unique design.
I may just do that.

Also: have you ever been reading a book and suddenly lost your place? Terrible times! Fed up with using bits of paper and third-rate bookmarks? Look no further than:

Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #29
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
One should not cross read threads. I caught Rune's post about bookmarks on the addicted thread and this one here, put them together, and thought Rune had made such bookmarks for all his friends! I was going to be so impressed.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #30
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Maybe I should start doing that . . .I would hate to disapoint Kath.

I once was a bookmark you know

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #31
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Just thought I'd resurect this topic a tad.

With the increasing lack of interest in The Phantom and Alien serise, the producers thought that, in order to stur up interest again, that some Phantom and Alien costumes were in order. So, here they are:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P and A Costumes.jpg (13.9 KB, 457 views)
Old 11-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #32
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

HB, I just woke up when you took that pic. I told you not to use it.

And as far as Alien- the least you could've done is edit out the face of that half-digested child Alien had swallowed.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #33
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Got a headache?

It's Mandos approved.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #34
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thumbs up

That has a sinister linguistic closeness to Quietil, the euthanasia/suicide drug as seen in Children Of Men...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #35
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
This is probably one of the few BD-Products I don't feel needs to be produced, but it sertainly does have intertainment value.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote