The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The Begining of the Two Towers? PLEASE POST!

How do you think Pete will start the next movie?<BR>The book starts with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli but do you think Pete will do the same?
Old 03-03-2002, 04:21 PM   #2
kalimac

Sting

Ooh, that's a good question. Personally I think he'll start in with Merry and Pippin waking up in the Orc-camp (the "Uruk-Hai" chapter in TTT). No good reason for thinking this except Merry and Pippin are the characters who are most left at a loose end right now, in movie terms - at the end of FOTR we saw Frodo and Sam at the edge of the Emyn Muil and getting ready to try and cross over to Mordor, and Strider et al preparing to pursue the Orcs. OTOH the last we've seen of Merry and Pippin is them being carried off previous to both these events, and it would make sense to start with them, in a sort of "Meanwhile, while Boromir is being sent over the Falls and Frodo and Sam are climbing the Emyn Muil, here's what's happening to the other two."<P>Also in practical terms Merry and Pippin are much better devices for catching up the audience on what's already happened; it's easy to picture them having a disjointed conversation about "Do you think Frodo made it away all right? What happened to Boromir? Do you suppose Strider's trying to catch up with us?" and so on. It's hard to picture the Three Walkers pausing during the chase to engage in helpful dialogue that will fill the audience in on what's happening, but since Merry and Pippin are trying to figure out what's happening to them exactly it would make sense for them to talk it out.<P>OK, that was a little long. I'm sorry - just call it my 5 cents worth.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #3
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great theory, Kalimac! I agree with you.<BR>I just can't wait until Dec. 2002!
Old 03-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
shire....baggins...

Sting

Personally, I think they should start with Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. Next they should put Merry and Pip, and fade over to Fodo and Sam. With the changes PJ is said to be making, who knows what scenes they won't even show
Old 03-03-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
calenfaniel

Sting

I agree with Kalimac, that's what would make the most sense.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:18 AM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Welcome to the 'Downs Kalimac (woo hoo, someone else likes the notes on translation, too!) and shire...baggins... (your name is very creepy but very cool nonetheless)! Post often and enjoy yourselves!<P>I agree with Kalimac; starting with Pip and Merry would make the most sense. But my guess is that will really start with a flashback intro, sort of like the one in FotR. More than that, I cannot say.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I think they should start with Merry and Pippin because they ended with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and they might forget about Merry and Pippin.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Does anyone think that in the beginning they will show flashbacks of happened at the end of FOTR to refresh the audience's minds? I wouldn't need it, but the people who are not obsessed and aren't on this site just might.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I agree with Brinniel. A lot of people have short-term memories, and would like their memories refreshed. Who else thinks there's going to be some voice that comes on, saying, "When we last left our story, Pippin and Merry had been kidnapped by orcs, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli searching for them, Frodo and Sam out to find Mt. Doom, and Boromir was falling down a waterfall."
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 11:37 AM   #10
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
White-Hand

I hope not.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #11
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

I would hate it if they did that! People should be able to remember (if only vaguely) what happened in the movie before! It's just pandering to some people's ignorance...
Old 07-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #12
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Humm......PJ may start the way the books do, but as we all well know, the ignorance of others who haven't read the book will lead to them getting bored if they dont see the ring-bearer and Sam in the opening scenes, they might not be able to follow properly so i'm guessing we will see Frodo and Sam earlier than in the book.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 04:19 PM   #13
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Perhaps it will start with a narration over action as the first one did. Narrated by Cate Blanchett, or another cast member.<BR>There can be brief glimpses of all of the characters with short descriptions of where they were just at the end of the last movie and where they are heading now.<BR>It's starts with a shot of a group of Orcs running over the plains and then a short glipse of Merry and Pippin being tossed to the ground.<BR>Then it flashes over to Frodo and Sam and tells of where they are heading and then you see big green eyes peering at them from behind.<BR>Then it flases over to Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, and the story begins with then searching and Aragorn finding the leaf brooch. Then the words "The Two Towers" appear on the screen.<P>That's a theory. I really have no idea, but I am sure it will be great and I can't wait!!!!!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #14
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I think they'll start with Galadriel's voice just skimming over the events at Amon Hen, like she sort of did in the first film, and then fading in to Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 01:54 PM   #15
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think they'll do a narration and start with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn in order to maintain suspense about Merry and Pippin a little longer for the people who haven't read the books. I like the idea of bringing everyone up to speed through a conversation between Merry and Pippin, but I think the narration is a more efficient device and more in keeping with Tolkien's style.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:02 PM   #16
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought an interesting lead-in to start the T.T. off would be to show Boromir's body floating down the river, and the scene where his brother Faramir discovers him. You could have a tragic scene with Faramir trying to reach his brother, and questioning his fate, then fade to the Three Walkers following the Orcs.<P>Or Frodo and Sam movin' on. It's all good.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:12 PM   #17
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that they are gonna start with an non-fellowship character like Saruman, Elrond or Galadriel. Most likly in theaters they will have the preview of the FOTR.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:17 PM   #18
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I pretty much agree with what people have said already. I think they should do a flashback, then start on the story with each group at a time. Or, as Kalimac said, start w/ Merry and Pippin talking about the recent events. {a.k.a. flashback}
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:10 AM   #19
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think they should start with Merry and Pippin because they ended with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and they might forget about Merry and Pippin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. <BR>But before I think Galadriel(as narrator) should tell what the fellowship was set out to do, and about the main idea of The Fellowship of the Ring for people who might not have seen it. Then go to Merry and Pip.<BR>Somthing like that..

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:02 AM   #20
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I don't think the audience should find out that Faramir is the brother of Boromir until after Frodo and Sam have been scared by him.<BR>I can't remember who said it but the suggestion that the title 'The Two Towers' should come up after a couple of minutes of explanation was perfect for me. Remember in The Fellowship that the war scenes started off and then the film started proper in Hobbiton.<BR>Likewise, I think the ending of The Fellowship will be relayed at the start and then things will mellow out a bit with the three hunters, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. There'll be a line like 'I cannot even imagine what Merry and Pippin are going through right now'<BR>.....and then it will cut to Merry and Pippin, and I just can't wait to see their facial expressions!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:47 AM   #21
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I don't think anyone would narrate the flashbacks. They would probably be just 5 min of scenes of what last happened to each character in FOTR if there are any flashbacks at all, that is.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:49 PM   #22
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PJ says there will be no narriteration.<P>This is how I think the begaining should go:<P><BR>The screen is black. You can hear Gollum's voice muttering. Somthing like: "My precious,they stole it" then the title The Two Towers appears. The words fade and in thier place is a picure of a full moon. The camera moves down until you can see a landscape of rocky hills. You can hear Gollum muttering again. Then out of the shadows two balls of light are visible. The lights move out from the shadows and we can see they are the eyes of Gollum. We watch as he crawls around the rocks. He sees somthing down a cliff and starts to climb down. Below him we see two shadowy figures. The camera switches to the two figures and we see they are a sleeping Frodo and Sam.<BR>We go back to Gollum as he continues to climb. When he gets close enough he reaches out a bony hand and.......................<P>What do you think? Hm..perhaps I should direct my oun LotR movie. Ya right.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:23 PM   #23
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

THIS JUST IN!<BR>From Entertainment Weekly Fall Movie Issue:<P>December 18: The Two Towers<P>"And for those who still aren't able to tell a hobbit from a dwarf, may we suggest a trip to the video store? Because there won't be a reprise montage at the beginning of the Two Towers. 'It's a very TV device to slip a little recap on,' says Jackson. 'We thought: BANG! We'll just jump straight into it."<P>There you go! We still don't know where the BANG! will begin, but it will be great!