The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Question Soundtrack instruments???

Hello! I have a question about one of the instruments in the LOTR soundtrack. Okay, on the second track "Concerning Hobbits" there is a flute type wind instument that plays the melodey in the first couple of measures. Does anyone know what that insrument is? I have been trying to figure it out, but with no luck. Any suggestions?
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it is a Piccolo but I don't know for sure.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:43 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I could either be flute or possibly a recorder. I don't know if the pitch is high enough to be a piccalo. But who knows
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

picollo, excuse me.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
Mayla Took
Wight

Tolkien

I don't think it is a Piccolo either, it might be a wood recorder, I was thinking of that also. But it does sound alittle strong for a recorder. Arn't they alittle airier?

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 05-01-2002, 02:33 PM   #6
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It depends on the recorder. It could be one I think. Maybe a penny wisle? I don't think that it was too high for a flute.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:54 PM   #7
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

I love that song. I think that it is a flute, because I think that the pitch r a picclo is too high for that. That is just my opiniun, feel free to disagree
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:56 PM   #8
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought it was a flute. It could be a piccolo, though, but my guess is a flute.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:48 PM   #9
Mayla Took
Wight

Ring

I really don't think it is a flute because of the uniqe grace notes. Do you think it might be an intertaional instrument?

Old 05-01-2002, 03:52 PM   #10
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It is not a piccolo. It's either a type of wood flute or recorder. I am leaning more towards a wood flute because recorders are not usually loud enough for an orchestra and I've never heard one of that tone color. However, the tone color is dark enough to be wood. It could also be an Irish whistle, which is basically a type of flute. I've heard a wood flute once, and it has the closest tone quality to the instrument played on that song. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could write the producer or orchestra to find out. Hope this helped some.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #11
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Agree, I think its an Irish woodwind instrument. They have these kind large whistle thingys that look like either small Organ pipe or large tin whistle and they are more mellow than a tin whistle, piccolo or flute. Gives it a lovely full-flavoured depth to the music.<P><BR>BTW, Do i hear 'chains' chinking away when the music for Isengard/Mordor is played??
Old 05-01-2002, 04:47 PM   #12
Mayla Took
Wight

Shield

I don't know if it is chains but I think it is somthing that sounds much like it. I was telling my family how much I enjoy that aspect of the Mordor theme of the soundtrack! In the film while in Mordor, it shows Orcs pounding on anvils and making various objects but the sounds that go along with the Orc's tools are part of the orchestra! It is in the music. I think that is very cool

Old 05-02-2002, 01:16 AM   #13
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

This has been bothering me and my sister for a few weeks now. Well, it was me that brought it up, but now it's bothering her, too. In the beginning of "The Ring Goes South" There is a solo instrument that has a few bars. My sister says it's a clarinet, but I say it's an oboe. Though, we both could be wrong. Does anyone know for sure?
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:48 AM   #14
Mayla Took
Wight

Sting

I don't know for sure either, but I also think it is an Oboe

Old 05-17-2002, 08:19 PM   #15
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

One word: Ocarina.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:50 PM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've played the recorder for over 20 years, and plan to work out the fingerings for the Shire theme. It's most certainly a recorder, have no doubt. <P>I play soprano, sopranino and alto recorder. <P>Kalla, you have a good point, but the theme is picked up by an alto recorder later. That's the difference in the quality of tone color you hear. Good ear, by-the-way.<P>As for the other theme, I will listen carefully and get back to you.<p>[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 05-17-2002, 08:55 PM   #17
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the tune came in a couple of times in the soundtrack. One was a recorder type thing, and one was a lower, Obo type thing. The tune also comes in in many other places in the soundtrack, like in the dreams song (sung by some boy) on track 17.<P>What is an Ocarina?<P>Your right Kalla, recorders are not usually played with an orcestra because they are quieter (I've actually tried that with a couple of recorders, it doesn't really work). Flutes are lowder, and have more of a dynamic range. However, you could do it, especially if you had a mike for the recorder.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #18
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

Yes. That's an oboe. And the next theme is carried by a clarinet. But you knew that. <P>Oh, I love classical music. Too bad I'm no longer in an orchestra, I would love to play these pieces. Nothing like being awash in an ocean of sound, of which you only pull one oar...<p>[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 05-17-2002, 09:04 PM   #19
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

Oh, this <I>is</I> a fun discussion. <P>Arwen we posted at the same time.<P>True, recorders are not normally included in an orchestra, but I <I>have</I> played recorder with an orchestra, for a Medieval-style piece called 'Noye's Flude', which included soprano, sopranino, alto and bass recorders. The soloists need to stand, and it's best if the recorders are seated upstage.<P>And the strings have to shut up (for a change) to make it work. Ha! (Sorry, you folks who've played bands but not orchestras may not be aware of how all classical music seems to have been written for the prima donna strings.)<P>We lost half our clarinet section to the recorders, since the same people who play clarinet tended to be the best on recorder as well. Can't imagine why.. But there always seems be plethora of clarinets, so it wasn't a problem.<p>[ May 17, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 05-18-2002, 08:11 PM   #20
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ahem! Prima Donna strings? I happen to be concert master in my school orchestra, thank you very much!<P> And an ocarina is a very wierd wind instrument. Its in the most famous Zelda game; he picks one up and plays it for something...
Old 05-18-2002, 08:20 PM   #21
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you're thinking of Prima Donna violinists, Marileangorifurnimaluim! I'm a violist and it's rare that we get the melody let alone a featured section in a piece! We are always picked on, too so I can't say that we are revered by others or by ourselves lol.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 08:32 PM   #22
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Grrr violas. I have only just ended a war with my violist friends in JHHO and I still have hard feelings with them because they were mean to me and ya know why??? Cuz they think that I was a prima donna violinist but that's not true because the violin is not my fave stringed instrument!!!!!! Cellos are better and I'd probably be playing one right now if I had the chance! Are you ALL against violinists...?
Old 05-18-2002, 08:43 PM   #23
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>One word: Ocarina.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>O, that's great!! *wipes a tear away*<P>I also play the recorder, on occasion (sp?), though I'm not that good. It is a beautiful instrument when included in diverse pieces, or anytime, really.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:46 PM   #24
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I'm confused. Were you laughing just now??? If so, I'm sorry I am not an expert on woodwind instruments, it's not my fault if I don't know anything!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:49 PM   #25
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Shield

You know, the first performance of Stravinski's 'Firebird Suite' caused a riot. Let's not have one here. <P>Ithaeliel, that's interesting. I didn't realize there were so many musically inclined people on the Downs. Outside of being concert master, what do you play?<P>Very true, the viola's are often unfairly grouped with the Prima Donna <I>Violinists!</I> A lovely instrument, by-the-way, with a rich earthy tone I love. <P>Now before the Violinists of the world unite and throw rotten tomatoes, I'm really referring to the <I>music</I>. C'mon, admit it, through no fault of your own you guys have the melody 90% of the time, while the rest of the orchestra plays back-up.<P>But the woodwinds should't complain. Try playing trombone in an orchestra. All I can say is, you really learn to count time.<p>[ May 18, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 05-18-2002, 09:16 PM   #26
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I play just the violin and some acoustic guitar . I could probably struggle through a D major scale on the other stringed instruments. hehehe.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:04 AM   #27
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sorry, been away for a week with school and whatnot. Thank you Arwen...the university would be proud hehe. I had completely forgotten the Ocarina...lol. And you know...as for this war of instruments...you gotta have all of them to make an orchestra and for those of you who think violins always have the melody haven't played many really large works, esp those with choral parts and musicals/operas. Second, hey, if you want to play those stupid scales...go for it! It's not like our part is interesting, it's just a real....to play! lol. Most of us who play violin play it cuz that is the instrument most appropriate for our hand size...and if you get any degree in music, at least at my school, you get to learn all the different instruments anyway. (And trumpet is an EVVVVVVVVVVVVIL instrument to me:P ) Composers wrote the melody in the upper voices cuz it carried...but they gave us all that scale crap too cuz of the logistics of the instrument (not just vlns, but fl and cl and tpt, etc). I'd like to see a tuba player play the trumpet runs sometime...there are sometimes reasons things are composed the way they are. I dunno, it jsut sounds like you guys are getting a little heated about this and it concerns me, being the nut that I am, music is something to be experienced, not argued about. *gets off soapbox* I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm probably saying what you already know so if you've read this far thanks! lol. Personally I like hearing all teh different tone colors in the orchestra, that's one reason I think we all loved this soundtrack so much. Musicians all come together to create music, otherwise the composer would have written solos in place of symphonies. That's another great thing about tone color is it can give you the best...waht's the word...character? sounding (I can't think of a better word...lol) theme. The theme is repeated, but each time with different families of instruments, giving each time a different meaning and feeling behind the music. And when they added voices at the end (No. 17 I believe illustrates this well), it just all comes together...the innocence, the sorrow, the bewilderment, the strength, the courage, the purity...the soundtrack is just beautifully orchestrated!

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Old 05-19-2002, 02:10 AM   #28
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

OOPs, sorry, I mean thank you Marileangorifurnimaluim, not Arwen...hey, it's 3 am and I'm feeling ill and haven't slept in about three days!! lol. So I can't read names that great at the bottom of this silly little screen when I'm typing the message! anyway, sorry about that, and thank you!

Old 05-19-2002, 07:14 PM   #29
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Thanks, Kalla, you're welcome. No, I'm well aware there a lot of composers who don't lean on the strings to carry the melody. Any woodwind who complains about not having the melody should repeat to themselves three little words: Rhapsody in Blue. <P>But, those that do still outnumber the ones that don't, the more modern composers tending to be the ones that share the melody about. <P>I'm afraid my joke/gentle dig at violins was misunderstood, and taken as nasty comment rather than the wink it was intended to be. Every orchestra I've played in has been very close, and we could complain without it being taken personally. We could take it -<P>"here comes the woodwind Horde.." <P>..as well as dish it out - <P>"melody? What melody?" <BR>"Excuse me, if we're going to play Beethoven, can we put the brass section in the next room?"<P>I loved rehersal, the first awkward run-through, the process of a piece coming together, the brilliant individual performances as the music became our own.. as well as the comments, teasing, jokes and playfulness.. even more than the actual performance.<P>My favorite was Stravinski, especially Danse Infernale. The melody was a puzzle, scattered throughout the orchestra. I think you missed my earlier post about pulling one oar in an ocean of sound. I've done choral pieces, and play woodwinds (including recorders), piano and brass, though I don't have a very good lip.. alas, I so wanted to play French Horn..
Old 05-19-2002, 11:34 PM   #30
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Rapsody in Blue!! I remember that!! When we did it our pianist's copy was so old she had to have a page turner turn the pages slowly so they didn't crumble. Stravinski is kewl too, Firebird is just beautiful!! Although his love of asymmetrical meters was new to me when I first did it. Baccanale is good too, and Rimsky-Korshkov (sp?)...I LOVE RUssian Easter!! It's nice to know that other orchestras tease each other as some of the ones I've played in do. I just didn't know if you guys were talking or arguing. (I've been in orchestras where it is a battle between sections...it isn't pleasant) Personally I think it's great to meet so many people involved in music. Makes me heart want to sing! *sniff*

Old 05-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #31
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't mean to start anything when I excluded violists from the category of "Prima Donna". Don't get me wrong. Some of my best friends are violinists and really, they aren't prima donnas in any way! I was joking around.<BR> Kalla and Marileangorifurnimaluim everything you said was absolutely right! <BR>The violins don't always get the melody. Your examples were all true. Here's a few more: Stavinsky's "Rite of Spring" and Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #32
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

AHhh...I feel right at home with all the music people at the forum. Just like sittin in the pit waiting for the cast to work out blocking, like they should have done BEFORE the orchestra was there...talking about movies/books and music.

Old 05-21-2002, 07:17 PM   #33
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

I love the symphony... in fact, just today I got my Junior High Honor Orchestra performance recording from my friend who so nicely burned it for me! It sounds good, but we rushed in a coupla spots reeely bad... like in Dance of the Tumblers from Snow Maiden. That's by Rimsky-Korsakhov. And in Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, we also had a collective rush. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. Doodeedoodoodoo, doodoodoo doodeedeedoo... very pretty (even though it's not really in dees and doos). I'm glad to have fellow musicians here! <p>[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]