The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
Failariel

Pipe "On the Ring..."

Ok, is it just me and my friends, or when Frodo puts on the Ring, does he not look like he is going on a bad drug trip? I think he does...for me and my friends, it adds a little humor to a bad thing...just watch FotR and watch him the first time they hid from that Ringwraith. you'll see. He's (as I like to say) "on the ring"!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:01 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*giggles* That is quite true! he does look a bit drugged up. Perhaps this is relating in a distant way to the idea that the Ring is a sort of drug. It has been discussed in many other threads that the ring caused everyone to go a bit crazy, so maybe PJ has picked up on that in various little ways. But then it may just be coincidence.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:14 AM   #3
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Is there a point here? Though I think this could be a pretty good, though slightly overused idea for something in the ME Mirth forum... <P>Swan song,<BR>~Menelien
Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Achika E.

Tolkien

I totally agree though me and my friends thought he looked a bit constapated.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Achika E.! Being dead is fun.<P>I agree. Frodo <I>does</I> look like he is "on the Ring", so to speak. And this is proof that the Ring is like a drug: You can't live with it, you can't live without it, and when you're using it, you see things.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Horse Maiden of the Shire- nice way to describe it. It is like a drug, no matter who posesses it. It's weird how a ring can be like a drug, but it kind of makes sense. He does look really funny in that scene though
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah... He look's like he's high . But I spoted another thing the Ring has in common with drugs - if you use drugs for a long time you start to get real skinny , have problems with skin and do not like unsyntethical light . And as far as I know all of these things can be seen on Gollum , only oppositly the Ring drugs do not give a long life to it's "bearer" . Actually it shortens it .
Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 PM   #8
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Frodo was not "drugged up". Actually, I never thought of it that way. <P>My hypothesis was that the Wraith was using a sort of hypnosis, if you will, and commanding him to put on the ring.("They are drawn to it's power..") <BR>Thank goodness for the others who hit him and woke him up that first time, otherwise they would certainly all have been discovered and killed in what would most likely have been a horribly gruesome scene.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:29 PM   #9
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My hypothesis was that the Wraith was using a sort of hypnosis, if you will, and commanding him to put on the ring.("They are drawn to it's power..") <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm with you, <B>Arwen Eruantale</B>! When I look at his facial expressions and body language, it looks more like Frodo is struggling against something in his head and the commands of the Ringwraiths would fit quite well with this particular notion. I guess you could say the those "on drugs" or "on the Ring" are experiencing something inside or are "under the influence" of something. Perhaps it is like a dieter trying to resist the donut in the fridge, or actually breaking down and eating it! <P>One donut to rule them all; one donut to find them; one donut to bring them all, and in sugar rushes bind them!<P>OK, really, this post didn't start out this way! I'm getting tired and weird! Off to bed (after a donut....) <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. But seriously now, since this post probably isn't very illuminating...I'd say the struggle against the power of the Ring and the "on the Ring" feeling are different, especially since Frodo's expressions are different in each case. When he is "on the Ring" his eyes are open wide in a horrified wonder. When he is struggling against it, he is tired, eyes droop or roll up in his head, and he grimaces (the "constipated" look spoken of). Good night for real now! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:40 AM   #10
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Thanks Lyta!

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:18 AM   #11
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>if you use drugs for a long time you start to get real skinny , have problems with skin and do not like unsyntethical light . And as far as I know all of these things can be seen on Gollum<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hahaha. Actually, Peter Jackson said in an interview that Gollum's eyes, facial expressions, and movements were loosely based on those of a crack addict.