The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2002, 03:48 AM   #1
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Has anyone wrote Tolkien related stories.

I know this may sound like littlemanpoets discussion but anyhoo....who here has delved into the world of Tolkien and returned with a story to call their own. What are your motavations. Your ideas if you want to share. How long did it take. What age was it set in and stuff like that. I'm going to write a story concerning Aragorn's adventures as Thorongil.If anyone has some cool info for me on this...it would be greatly appreiciated.
[note to others]
don't steal my idea or anyone elses or the wights will have to deal with you

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Aragorn_the_Ranger ]
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:21 AM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Perhaps you should check out our Fan Fiction section.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, BW!!! I just checked out the first chapter of "Dude, Where's My Ring?" and I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Wow! I needed that! Thanks!)
Old 06-08-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Link to my fanfiction is at my homepage. I'm not sure if the address shows in my signature so I give it here: www.geocities.com/heidi_laakso
Old 06-08-2002, 03:16 AM   #5
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thamks everyone. Yes NIprhedril or however u spell it, your link does show up in the forum
Old 06-08-2002, 02:52 PM   #6
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I wrote some but I'm too scared to put it up here.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #7
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just submitted some fan fiction today. It's called The Lord of the Rings: The Parody and I have it split up into six sections for the six Books that make up the novel (only two Books are complete as of now, though). I'm so nervous [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
I hope it gets an ok rating. I think I was pretty original, but I'm still jittery because I've never had my writing on a website before. I keep getting this terrible feeling that there's a horrible grammatical mistake in there somewhere that I overlooked or that I wrote something unintentionally that will offend a lot of people. Yes, I worry all the time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 08, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 06-12-2002, 11:19 AM   #8
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Ithilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Aragorn, I've written several First Age fics, some of which are posted here at the Downs, and others which are up at Fanfiction.net (here's a link - Ithilwen's authorpage.)

I found that what inspired me were questions or challenges concerning specific characters, such as why did Maeglin betray Gondolin (and is it possible to show him in a sympathelic light), and why did Maedhros change from being a noble Elf to someone who was willing to commit mass murder. You need to write about what appeals to you. I'd suggest you ask yourself what it is about Aragorn's time as Thorongil that you find interesting, and work from there. Are you simply curious about what adventures he may have had (in which case you're looking to tell an exciting adventure tale), or is what interests you the effects his adventures had on him as a person (which would be a more psychological story)?

As to how to write it, there are no easy shortcuts - it's work. If you don't have someone else who can read you fic before you post it (and I didn't when I first wrote mine), I highly advise throwing the thing in a desk drawer for a week or two after you finish it. When you take it out again and re-read it after that 'cooling off' period, you'll see the flaws in the story more clearly, and you'll find editing it is easier.

Good luck writing your fic!
Old 06-12-2002, 03:10 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I wrote a poem about Legolas a couple months ago. And I'm in the middle of a story right now. But I don't know if I'm brave enough to put them online or not. I've written alot of stories before, I've just only let my friends read them. I don't know if I'm ready for real publicity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:46 AM   #10
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hye thanx everyone for posting. The type of story I'm going for is Adventure..the wars that he was in though I would like to throw in somthing as to add to him being portrayed as weary..like something he did in the war that disturbed him deeply and he's had to carry this burden with him.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:32 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Aragorn,

That sounds like a really interesting idea for a story! Go for it. And I'd like to read it. If you have a hard time getting it posted here (Mithadan or BarrowWight, what's the average wait? I sent mine in a LONG time ago!) (...okay, I checked, it was "just " a month ago. Go ahead and tell me to be more patient. Sigh.) Anyway, Aragorn, if you have a hard time getting it posted, then let us know via the forum, and put it somewhere where we can find it.

Go, Aragorn! Think hard! Write well! Check your grammar! Have a friend proof-read it for you! And then-- let us see it!!!!!!

--Helen

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-13-2002, 10:37 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Aragorn,

I never did answer your original questions.

What got me started? A friend said, "You've got a good imagination; you should write stories." Huh, I thought. Sounds like fun.

My motivation was simply to write something good. I sat down and started writing. My first effort ended up being about a man, an elf, and eventually a hobbit (all male) out on the North downs someplace, but it never went anywhere and I had no clear idea if it ever would so I tabled it.

Then I started writing about a hobbit lost in the suburbs of Boston, and that went somewhere. I have five sections about his suburban experience (about 300k of text) and then a huge time-gap which I will have to fill in later, because at that point, I started seeing what would happen when he returned to The Shire, so I wrote that. I have almost 400kb of text of his Shire experience.

How long did it take? I've been writing it since February sometime, I think.

I've had two friends read it, both giving very enthusiastic responses, but it may not be the kind of thing that "flies" on the net. I don't know. It's pretty heavily influenced by George MacDonald. Maturation of soul and spirit is the main theme. Some people love that stuff. MacDonald doesn't have a huge following, though.

Do I show up in the story at all? Yes, as a precocious and bossy four-year-old girl who likes to play tag and eat strawberries. I don't know where the tag came in. Never liked it myself. But the strawberries, now...

--Helen
Old 06-13-2002, 08:51 PM   #13
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn - your idea sounds great, but the main thing is that you just GO FOR IT!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Three of the posters here (myself, Orlando's Queen and Nufaciel) also belong to another LOTR chat board where we have a lengthy epic in-progress. A bunch of folks there wanted to do a quest, so we started with nine of us (using our own screen names for ease of writing), a "Ring of Time," and one bad guy (who, it turned out, was one of Lord Sauron's main underlings). A few other people joined us, and it's been quite fun, even though a number of folks dropped out. What I found so amusing, however, is that each author has taken the story in his/her own direction. It's been kind of like one big, gigantic RPG. (I think Nufaciel plans to edit it once it's finally finished!)

(If anyone is interested, you can read this story -- so far -- at: http://www.cinecon.com/cgi-bin/YaBB....46062;start=0)
Old 06-15-2002, 05:51 AM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Check out the Mary Sue Litmus Test thread for some really good pointers on writing. The thread gets really good.