The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2003, 09:33 AM   #921
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Sting

Quote:
-When every item of clothing in your wardrobe relates to LotR *and these are my hobbit pants, and this is my Elvish shirt...*
I do that. Not my entire wardrobe, but i have my hobbit'y look, and my elvish shirt. I wish I had a big long coat with a huge hood! I'd go sit in the corner of the pub and collect weird looks. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
-When you have to make up an element for science class and decide to name yours in Elvish *heh heh*
We had to make up a new species and draw up a pedigree chart. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Fun thing, making and elvish name, and then having to make it sound latin. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Forest Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #922
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Hahaha! You must have gotten some weird looks with that one.
No, my entire class - hell, my entire YEAR (and that's about 200 kids) know me as the LotR-freak. Nobody even blinked.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #923
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that's sad... at least they give me some looks (not often anymore, but still..... they are looks!)

but you know that you're obsessed when your parents tend to call you with your elvish name... (because you react faster on that)
Old 09-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #924
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Quote:
I'm 5'2", so the height difference is a bit ludicrous.
my parents are 13 inches apart.

Quote:
You were just nick-named "Frodo"
my friend gave me a lotr related nickname and I gave her a harry potter nickname since she is obsessed with it.

oooh! We watched the animated version of the hobbit today in one of my classes. I was quoting it and singing along. No one was surprised, though, because they all know I am obsessed with lotr

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #925
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
The only down-side is, I'm 5'2", so the height difference is a bit ludicrous.
An elf dating a hobbit. *snork* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] j/k

When you get your cousins to nickname/name their kids after LotR characters. Due to my wonderful influence, my cousin's little boy, Adam, is now nicknamed Adam Bombadil. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #926
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When your Health teacher asks you to write down what view you would see out of your bedroom window if you could see anything, and you write Cerin Amroth with lots of stars visible at night(I didn't have time to explain what Caras Galadhon was to her). Everyone else in my class put down boring stuff like a beach or a sunset. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone found out what I put down, so I couldn't get any weird looks. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
You duel imaginary orcs with your sword.
My treehouse is named Belegost, and it is where my brother and I battle massive orc hoards (even though we only have long sticks for swords).

In french class, you have to write what you would like to learn to do, and you write that you want to learn to speak Quenya (except you write this in French). I actually am takin Quenya lessons from Ardalambion.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #927
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

~ When you go on a walk by the beach with your family and you see a flock of birds in the distance flying around and yell "SPIES OF SARUMAN!"

~ When you ask your movie rental store if you can have their "LotR: TTT" poster. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm trying to get weird looks from people, but it never works... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #928
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
My treehouse is named Belegost, and it is where my brother and I battle massive orc hoards (even though we only have long sticks for swords).
Hey, no problem. I only have long sticks as well. They certainly do make good swords, and I've fought with some nasty orcs myself. Well, Orominuialwen, we shall have to duel sometime then... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #929
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Quote:
I'm trying to get weird looks from people, but it never works
Oh, Rilwen, how sad!

Try kelebrating Random Band-Aid week for weird looks. (I'm not sure when it is at this time, but I can find out) On Random Band-Aid week you put a brightly-colored band-aid somewhere noticeable (like on your face) and every day of the week you change it, and put a different band-aid somewhere else.

Another good way to get weird looks is to put a small sticker on the tip of your nose. I did this with a sticker that said "4", and when people asked me why it was there, I said it was the number of lembas I ate that morning.

I'll think up more later, hope that helps!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:41 PM   #930
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

On the day before Viggo Mortensen's birthday, I went around with fake Elf Band-Aid ears to celebrate. (All you do is unpeel the white tabs from a band-aid, grab a corner, and fold it down vertically, so it bisects the white pad. Do the same thing with the other half, and voila! You've got a Band-Aid ear!) Of course, mine had dinosaurs on them, so I got strange looks from everyone.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:44 PM   #931
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
When your late for class, and everybody else has sat down, you run into the classroom and tell the teacher: "Sorry I'm late sir but the orcs have stormed Brithombar and Eglarest!" You then proceed to sit down and open your books.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That's bloody genius!

Let's see...I haven't been here in a whole *gasp* two days, so I have a lot to add...

-You put the One Ring in your still life for art, even though it has nothing to do with the rest of your objects, you just want to draw it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-You label your school-books in Tengwar

-You draw the Doors of Durin on your pizza box so that no one else will eat it

-You read Frodo's horoscope in the newspaper (he's a Virgo [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) and think of what sign the other characters would be if you don't have thier birthdays

-While fabric shopping, you notice that hugging a piece of folded velvet is probably just like what it would feel like to hug Frodo...

My mom has finally accepted my obsessive-ness. When I was buying the fabric for my Elven dress, she showed me each one and told me the pros and cons of each and how it would fare for everyday wear. Because she knows that I will wear it like regular clothes... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I just smiled to myself...

Edit: Hee hee! Elennar, I'm gonna kelebrate Random Band-Aid week! I just need some of those neon Band-Aids... Ooo yeah, thanks so much for nominating me in the BD Awards thread! It made my day! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #932
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
You label your school-books in Tengwar
ooh I did this only I labeled my dividers not my books, good idea though!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #933
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
You know when you're obsessed when you start dating an Elf. (I swear, my b/friend is an Elf!!!! Of course, he's much too skinny, but he's got the silky black hair, 6'2" height, perfectly pale skin, and the greatest greenish-brown eyes.) He looks like a Noldo. The only down-side is, I'm 5'2", so the height difference is a bit ludicrous.
Ooo! Lucky you! *envyenvy*
Old 09-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #934
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

*snork* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #935
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

When you have a pen that says "The Shires" on it, and has a prettypicture of a hill and sun next to it. You get a pair of compasses and scribble out the 's' at the end of 'shires' so it reads "The Shire." You show it to your entire year.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #936
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Quote:
Oooh what a great idea! *goes off to label her school books*

Today one of my friends said to me, "you're late." I proceeded by saying the whole Gandalf speech...altering it a bit to fit the circumtance. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Wow, I really need to start doing more things...with the start of school I've been so worried about getting to all of my classes that I haven't had the time or energy to do obsessive things. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, I'll work on it.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:00 PM   #937
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
...I haven't had the time or energy to do obsessive things.
Dude, there is always time to do obsessive things. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Like wearing your cloak to school on a regular basis.

And letting your classmates know what's going on at the Downs this week.

And working on Walk to Rivendell.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 PM   #938
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
My mom has finally accepted my obsessive-ness.
Not mine, yet. She thinks it's a bad thing for some reason... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Another way to get weird looks: Bring a small musical instrument to school in your backpack and play it at lunch. I did this today with my recorder, I played May it Be, and another song I like, Starry Starry Night.(has anyone else heard that one?)

Also I got a weird look for saying that I collect weird looks. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
(All you do is unpeel the white tabs from a band-aid, grab a corner, and fold it down vertically, so it bisects the white pad. Do the same thing with the other half, and voila! You've got a Band-Aid ear!) Of course, mine had dinosaurs on them, so I got strange looks from everyone.
Dinosars! Hee hee hee! I will definately try that, but with ordinary band-aids. *chuckles at funny mental picture of elves with dinosaurs on their ears* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 09-11-2003, 08:16 PM   #939
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I feel awful for not posting on this thread in a while. It must have something to do with my advanced classes and the fact that I'm having a bit of difficulty keeping up with certain classes...

Anyway, today in my Physics class, we played pictionary (don't ask) and one of the guys said that he knew greek (I can't remember why), I said, "I know elvish" with kind of a shrug, and then he said, "I want to learn that." I was so excited. And then we ended up talking about LotR during notes (bad us! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) and I told him about BD so maybe he'll show up here someday soon and that would be so cool!

Finwe, I'm so jealous! I want to date an elf! *plots to steal Finwe's b/friend so that she can date an elf [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *

And, sadly, that's all I can think of at the moment. Which is sad for my obsessiveness.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #940
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

-When you forget about the obbsessive things you've done today because they've just become normal everyday actions to you...

That could be a bad thing...*sniffle*

Ooo! Guess what?! I just found out my English teacher has a cat named Smaug! *grins like an idiot* That made me so happy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh yes, now I remember. I did a Gollum impression today. But it wasn't our fault, was it, precious? No. She stole our ruler. Yessss... Stole it from us. It was our birthday present. *hiss*
Old 09-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #941
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
Oh yes, now I remember. I did a Gollum impression today. But it wasn't our fault, was it, precious? No. She stole our ruler. Yessss... Stole it from us. It was our birthday present. *hiss*
*falls over laughing* lol! There's a guy in the Computer Club who calls his laptop precious. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 PM   #942
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
I did a Gollum impression today. But it wasn't our fault, was it, precious? No. She stole our ruler. Yessss... Stole it from us. It was our birthday present. *hiss*
*snork* I'm so doing that next time someone kifes my stuff. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-12-2003, 11:46 PM   #943
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

~ At your high school football game, your friend comments that Frodo is a little weakling [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] , and you start yelling things in Frodo's defense.

~ As you're walking home from the game, your sister makes a joke about her key-chain, saying it's the Phial of Galadriel (it's a fake crystal), so you grab it and hold it up yelling, "A Elbereth, Gilthoniel!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Another good way to get weird looks is to put a small sticker on the tip of your nose. I did this with a sticker that said "4", and when people asked me why it was there, I said it was the number of lembas I ate that morning.
Haha! Thanks, I'll try it! Or for anyone else, put how many times you've watched "TTT". [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #944
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

When lots of stuff people post here are just everyday actions for you.
When you no longer post everything obsessed you do each day because this thread would be flooded.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #945
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
At your high school football game, your friend comments that Frodo is a little weakling [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img], and you start yelling things in Frodo's defense.
The heck with yelling; I'd punch the guy's lights out. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I so evil...

When you can detect any mention of LotR at a distance of up to thirty feet. (I did this the other day and really creeped some people out...)

When you plan to go see a movie you don't even want to see, just because the new RotK theatrical trailer is going to be showing with it. (Yep, next Saturday I'm going to see the trailer! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

When you have heart-failure when you find out that Shelob will be shown in said trailer. *swoon, faint*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-13-2003, 11:12 AM   #946
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Sting

Quote:
Well, Orominuialwen, we shall have to duel sometime then...
Name the hour Meneltarmacil, and I shall be there! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have no time for the Downs anymore- way too much schoolwork. Curse the nassty school, preciousss.

Quote:
I haven't done this yet, but I have written Do the Wave for Boromir the disco king on my notebooks in hopes of finding a fellow Downie in my school.

You get very excited because in one day, you see someone with a LotR pin on their backpack, and someone with a Legolas t-shirt (I knew the girl with the shirt- she's a LotR fan too)

You start to laugh when you hear you dad say "you know, of all the things to be mildly obsessed with, the kids (meaning you and your brother) have picked a pretty good one." There is nothing mild about my obsession!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #947
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
When lots of stuff people post here are just everyday actions for you.
When you no longer post everything obsessed you do each day because this thread would be flooded.
Well, couldn't you just save them all, and post once every day? Yeah, it would be a long post, but then you would give everyone else more ideas! I can always use more ideas on how to increase my weirdness/obsessiveness rating!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #948
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I think I am going to hurl. I just went on a different board (that was my first mistake) and it was swarming with legolas fangirls who don't know anything about lotr. I can't take it anymore! *convulsively twitches*
Disclaimer:I have nothing wrong with Legolas fangirls it's just the one's that say things like "I saw ttt 12 times and I didn't even like the movie, I just think Orli is hot" ARGH! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] that's what makes me mad. Just had to clear that up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

anyway.... I am decorating my room Middle Earth style and I might even start a site with tips. What do you all think?

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: elfearz1 ]
Old 09-13-2003, 03:29 PM   #949
Tymezennith
Pile O'Bones

Tymezennith has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Random Band-Aid week is November 9th through 15. And you know your obsessed with lord of the rings when you try to get your dad's walking stick to light up so you can play in caves. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ErmaBombeck
Tymezennith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:31 PM   #950
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thanks for the Random Band-Aid Week idea, and the dates! Oooh this is gonna be so much fun! *squeals* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #951
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

So, first of all, I haven't been on here for ever it seems, ever since my wonderful post got eaten by the computer. It made me all sad and discouraged.... but now I'm back! And just a big general comment that everything everyone has said is great. Well, so that's covered.

Quote:
-While fabric shopping, you notice that hugging a piece of folded velvet is probably just like what it would feel like to hug Frodo...
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Today one of my friends said to me, "you're late." I proceeded by saying the whole Gandalf speech...altering it a bit to fit the circumstance.
I do that all the time, especially with that particular speech. But no one ever quotes along with me... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
Also I got a weird look for saying that I collect weird looks.
Very cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been stricken with the sudden urge to write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" on my hand. Is something wrong with me? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #952
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I have been stricken with the sudden urge to write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" on my hand. Is something wrong with me? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Definitely not! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Writing things on your hand is a very good way to bring in the weird looks. I have started doing it with "Trees" and it is very succesful for my collection. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #953
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another nice way to get weird looks is to wear a flat volleyball on your head, write trees on your hand, and quote LOTR in every situation humanly possible. Oh yeah, and saying that you collect weird looks. Many thanks to whoever thought that up! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #954
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Many thanks to whoever thought that up!
You're welcome, Sirithheruwen! Glad it's working. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think some of my obsessiveness has spread to my brother. A few days ago I caught him doing a really good, scary Gollum imitation in his room, all alone. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #955
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
I have been stricken with the sudden urge to write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" on my hand. Is something wrong with me?
My friend drew the symbol made out of Tolkien's initials on my arm once (check out the symbol for this post! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) Also, sometimes I draw random leaves on my hands (leaves are the only thing I can draw [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

I was in my computer class yesterday, and the textbook was talking about wearable computers, when I suddenly noticed that the name of the company or whatever that makes them is called MIThril!! So of course I got very excited and started saying very loudly"That is so amazingly cool! They have mithril!" Of course noone knew what I was talking about. Oh well, that's what you guys are for! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:26 PM   #956
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Sting

where does that boromir thing come from anyway?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #957
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Tomorrow I'm wearing me cloak to school...

I wrote "DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!" on my hand & drew a little squid too^ ^;;
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #958
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

When you bake cupcakes for Frodo and Bilbo's birthday, and make your family sing the happy birthday song. (guilty, I hope hobbits like chocolate!)

Excellent way to get weird looks: Dress up as Jack Sparrow, and walk your friend home! (I think I saw my drama teacher drive by and stare at me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) I got a lot of stares, and some people's mouths dropped open! Also one person pointedly ignoring me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (It works even better if you sing about really bad eggs) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I am planning to do this at school on friday, as it is talk like a pirate day.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #959
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

We had dress up like a pirate day...

Today I walked to my local park carrying my bow and arrows. That got a few stares... and I practiced shooting a milk cartoon. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #960
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Eye

Quote:
I am planning to do this at school on friday, as it is talk like a pirate day.
Ah, yes. I've heard much about this Friday, seeing as one of my friends has become increasingly obsessive about pirates. LotR is my obsession, and pirates, especially PotC, are hers. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

One of my friends had never seen LotR (either one) or read the books, so I had her watch FotR yesterday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] We had a sleepover and stayed up till 4:00 AM watching it... I don't know if she liked it or not... She made fun of it the whole time, just to bug me [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] and she did say it was too long. (We watched the EE) I was quoting the whoooooole time...