The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #2081
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
if I had Photoshop and the ability to use it, I'd love that kind of avatar. As it is, I just shopped the internet until I found something small enough that I liked. The ball is a nice neutral image, though photoshopping it to add the German red and gold to the black already there would make it perfect.
Something like this?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:31 AM   #2082
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Why thank you, kind Sir Hookbill! You're my knight in shining (virtual) armour! That is indeed what I was thinking of, but now that I see it, I realize that I like the starkness of the black/white look better after all. Sometimes less is more...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #2083
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I absolutely love Thinlómien's. The contrast is perfect - the style is undeniably artistic, and the sentiment displayed is inexorably true, and that dash in the middle, O, the dash in the middle! It could bring tears to the stoniest heart! In short, she beat me to the punch - many kudos, Lommy.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #2084
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Why thank you, kind Sir Hookbill! You're my knight in shining (virtual) armour! That is indeed what I was thinking of, but now that I see it, I realize that I like the starkness of the black/white look better after all. Sometimes less is more...
Well, I haven’t polished the old armour in a while, so it can't be that shiny.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #2085
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! Here's the kicker!

O, I say, Thinlómien has taken my signature idea to a higher realm.

Football Free Zone .

I tried to copy the avatar here, but it wouldna, couldna work. PerhapsThin will post it for posterity?

For posterity, my siggie is : Werewolf-free zone.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #2086
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

I really like Gil-Galad's (The Ever Lovable) Avy. It is almost the same as he had when I first joined and I never really felt comfortable with any of the others he had.

You must understand that Gil-Galad was the first to welcome me and therefore his avy was one of the first things I noticed about the BD.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #2087
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I really like Gil-Galad's (The Ever Lovable) Avy. It is almost the same as he had when I first joined and I never really felt comfortable with any of the others he had.

You must understand that Gil-Galad was the first to welcome me and therefore his avy was one of the first things I noticed about the BD.
stop it rune... your making me blush...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #2088
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up I love Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Say, this image photoshopped to add either Shrek or Princess Fiona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Bb, if I had Photoshop and the ability to use it, I'd love that kind of avatar.
How's this?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #2089
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
That is a great avy, simply brilliant !

Old 06-15-2006, 03:26 AM   #2090
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oro, that is priceless! What better way to combine both avatars! Now people will still recognize my posts, since Fiona is included. I assume I have your permission to use it; should I expect a very high bill? Thanks to Bb too for finding the wonderful ball hat photo!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 AM   #2091
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
I absolutely love Thinlómien's. The contrast is perfect - the style is undeniably artistic, and the sentiment displayed is inexorably true, and that dash in the middle, O, the dash in the middle! It could bring tears to the stoniest heart! In short, she beat me to the punch - many kudos, Lommy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
O, I say, Thinlómien has taken my signature idea to a higher realm.
Why, thank you both.

Here's it:

(<- as well as there)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #2092
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Woo! Look at me! I'm rebelling against the establishment! Boo and so on to the generic popular culture thing! Stick it to the man!

I have no real problem with the World cup, but I do play tennis from time to time*, so this seemed appropriate. I wanted to be differnt! Don't kill me!

*By this I mean... erm... about three times a year.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #2093
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am now torn between Lommy's and Hookbill's for the dubious endorsement of "Avatar Mithalwen would have, if she had an avatar" . Kudos to both. I love tennis, and I love wimbledon ...even to the point of spending my birthday sitting in rain on Number 19 court in the desperate hope that I would see Todd Martin play. It is better in the sun but you have to queue longer......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #2094
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Hookbill, I've got to say that your's is brilliant. I love playing tennis. I don't get to watch it too much, but am looking forward to (hopefully) getting to see a lot of Wimbledon.

I think it's time for a change for me... it'll probably be there by the time you read this.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #2095
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Is there a particular reason you don't have an avatar Mith?

Lommy I also love your avvie, if only it remained true in my house!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #2096
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

*gasp*
Gurthang I love your new avatar. Brings a tear to the eye socket.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #2097
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My first reaction to Rune's avvie change was:
Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #2098
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Don't worry it will change back before long. (I my self think it strange not having Karl Marx there)

Take it as a reaction to your "Football Free" avy. . .

Old 06-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #2099
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Is there a particular reason you don't have an avatar Mith?

I have tried but it never worked - and part of me likes not having an avatar - it is a distinguishing feature. Apart from not having the technical skill I also like not having a photo up .. most of the imaginings were so much nicer than reality

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #2100
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm intrigued by Gil's new sig. Is that Chewbacca?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #2101
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I'm intrigued by Gil's new sig. Is that Chewbacca?
why yes, yes it is. it is fun to watch when you are listening to music because it looks like he is dancing to the beats.

thanks for noticing
Old 06-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #2102
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Hmmm...Fea seems to have morphed into a weird...burning...thing...
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #2103
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
Hmmm...Fea seems to have morphed into a weird...burning...thing...
'Tis, a fractal, I believe; I remember her mentioning fractals in the ATS thread.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #2104
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It is a fractal. A very Feanorian creation, one would think, and the sort of thing I ponder in my spare time. It might change. I find it disconcerting being unable to spot my own posts at a glance.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 AM   #2105
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Notice really must be drawn to the avatar of Azaelia of Willowbottom, created apparently by Oddwen. Still with a bit of Tolkien-theme but a nod to the werewolf phenomenon also. Perhaps some day the Downs will become known as a werewolf site with off-topic Tolkien discussion!

These young 'uns are getting so artistic with their avvies! Very clever, Azaelia and Oddwen.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #2106
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

If anybody has an appropriate avatar now it's Fea.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #2107
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I was just about to say the same thing.

Very nice avy Fea, I love it!

But I still haven't gotten used to you not having that. . . .thing you had before. You know before you used the photo as an avy.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #2108
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

tgwbs has an interesting variation on the "Flags of the World Cup" theme - a combination of the English and Swiss flags. Nice idea, especially as the color contrast, reversed order of the same two colors, ties them together! (can be seen here)
Old 06-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #2109
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Thanks Kuru and Rune. And Rune, it was a dancing jester inspired by a poem written by our very own Encaitare. It's probably going to return sooner or later. I feel rather like a stranger without it.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #2110
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
tgwbs has an interesting variation on the "Flags of the World Cup" theme - a combination of the English and Swiss flags. Nice idea, especially as the color contrast, reversed order of the same two colors, ties them together!
Thanks. It wasn't actually an even split; the English flag covered slightly more area. Anyway, as both the dreams are over, I have now resorted to an avatar I shall probably have to change in two hours time.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #2111
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have now resorted to an avatar I shall probably have to change in two hours time.
Or not.

Vive l'France!
Old 07-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #2112
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
Anyway, as both the dreams are over, I have now resorted to an avatar I shall probably have to change in two hours time.
Just as the flags will fly still from my car and my window, my avatar will remain unchanged until the World Cup is over. My support is not dependent on success.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #2113
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Laiudanama has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Most impressed by the array of world cup flags - and indeed by Saucepan Man's dedication. Jolly good show, old boy, what what? I do particularly like yours actually, Estelyn Telcontar: Princess Fiona as she's never been seen before!
Laiudanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #2114
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I just realised that it is a bit hard to see what my Avy says. I says Runey not Rune.

and thank you Valesse for making it for me !

Old 07-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #2115
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I like Morm's new avatar, a deep thinking Homer Simpson, very nice.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #2116
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Speaking of the Simpsons....I just love Naria's new avatar. Is it Kodos or Kang?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #2117
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I like Meela's avvie. I guess it's quite new.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #2118
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

I simply adore Esty's new Fiona avatar. I think this one is my favourite one yet. I would almost think it is her in real life! Esty, I mean, not Fiona. And so well sized and everything!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #2119
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

When Valier and Gil post right after each other, and you can see both of their Avatars, its nice to think that Chewie and that cat-thing are having a little party. Lets hope that childish dancing doesn’t escalate into full blown rioting and violence like the great Avatar battle of '62.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #2120
Gil-Galad

But Valier has changed hers now