The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2003, 01:13 AM   #1
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye Figwit in ROTK?

I know there's been some speculation on this, especially as some people believe he's one of the elves helping reforge Narsil. Take a look at this article: <A HREF="http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2677385a1860,00.html" TARGET=_blank>Bret McKenzie</A><BR>Although, the author of the article is a bit confused, as she says he's a hobbit extra. Imagine, Figwit, a hobbit? Anyways, just thought I'd share that for anyone who's interested!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-02-2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That would be so great!!!! Figwit in ROTK! <BR>In the trailer, there's the bit were you see Narsil being reforged, and in the reflection of the water, you see an elf. But if it's Figwit... I don't think so I should go and see it again...<P>*burst out laughing* Figwit a Hobbit? <P>Navaer!<P>Aethelwine.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #3
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, Arwen, I hate to disappoint you guys, but the rumor of him being in the forging scene could be, by what I can understand, just a rumor. For as I looked at the frame-by-frame analysis of the new ROTK trailer on the <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>theonering.net,</A> I found a picture and a caption that is the following:<P> <BR>Is this Figwit cooling Narsil as it is reforged? No ... it seems to be Arwen! <P>Although the picture looks somewhat like a male Elf, there is a very good chance indeed that they have, once again , put Arwen in the Elf's place. Who knows though, there is much debating on this matter.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
Aethelwine
Wight

Tolkien

To bad... Ah well, you can't have it all, now can you? I'll just have to watch the Councel of Elrond-scene again, then.<P>But that being Arwen? I don't belive <BR><I>that</I>. Since when is Arwen a male? <BR> Poor Aragorn...<P>Navaer!<P>Aethelwine.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I personally don't think it's Arwen or Figwit! I've looked at that scene over and over trying to decide, but I don't think it's either of them. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's what I think anyways. But maybe Figwit has another scene. I didn't mean that was him, just that he might be in there somewhere. Maybe he's one of the elves that left Rivendell with Arwen?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

That is not Arwen that is for sure. What confuses me is how the stuff seen in the trailer relates to the stuff in TTT. In TTT Arwen leaves Rivendel most likely for Lothlorien but in the trailer it shows her back in Rivendel with Elrond. It does show some stuff in the trailer of her walking along in the woods with the other elves but most of it is with Elrond. All the stuff with Elrond and Arwen can't be flashbacks it wouldn't make sense. The only thing I can assume as a flashback at this point is Elrond giving Narsil to Aragorn. Aragorn must give it back at that moment and Arwen sends it to him later. Whatever...I am so confused.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The only thing I can assume as a flashback at this point is Elrond giving Narsil to Aragorn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can't imagine that's the case.<P>I also have to agree that the elves forging Narsil are neither Arwen or Figwit. <P>You know, I'm just not getting the whole Figwit thing. I keep picturing these poor saps trying to find him in the books. <P>H.C.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:14 PM   #8
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was a stupid mistake (one of few, I might add) for PJ not to show the reforging of Narsil (Anduril) before the Fellowship left Rivendell.<P>The prophecy, given by Elrond himself, was that Narsil would never be reforged until the Ring was again found. This was reaffirmed by the dream seen by Boromir and Faramir. I realize neither of those scenes are even alluded to in the movie, but one would think PJ could follow them anyway.<P>What sense does it make to wait until Aragorn's already left to reforge his sword?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:13 AM   #9
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stupid question here: Who is figwit?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is no such thing as a stupid question, Samrohan, only stupid answers...<P>Anyway, Figwit is an elf who was in the councel of Elrond but had no lines, he was played by the actor Brett McKenzie, and certain fans fancied him or something, so he was called Figwit. This means: "Frodo is grea...who is that?!)<BR>There are a lot of sites dedicated to him, and the fact that he might be in the third movie is kind of exciting to a lot of people...Personally, I couldn't care less though...<BR> <P>Hope this isn't a stupid answer...
Old 10-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #11
Aethelwine
Wight

<B>Mariska</B>, that answer is fine. I'm one of those people that really like Little Figgy. I don't fancy him, I'm like him. <P><B>Samrohan</B>, here's the most important (and first) site about Figwit: <A HREF="http://www.figwitlives.net/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>Figwit lives!</A> You should check it out, it's really cool!<BR>If you have any questions about Figwit, that'll answer them.<P>Navaer!<P>Aethelwine.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:49 AM   #12
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, well well, I never realised some of you would spend so much time and effort to create a character and fanclub for a character of such insignificance. Nice going and I like the name.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Aethelwine
Wight

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>I never realised some of you would spend so much time and effort to create a character<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We didn't. He was created by PJ. <BR>Ah well, you have to do something with your spare time (or wat you pretend to be your spare time... don't tell my teachers I said that!) And how better to waist by becoming a fan of an elf with no lines, a perfect pout, and 3 second of screen-time. I do it, and loving it!<P>And, I like the name to! What's his real name again? M... something.<P>To bad he won't be in ROTK, though. But I'm not losing faith yet! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Maybe he's one of the elves that left Rivendell with Arwen? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I hope so!<P>Navaer!<P>Aethelwine.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Stupid question here: Who is figwit? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If you want to see him in the movie, he sits to the right of Aragorn in the council.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:12 PM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yeah, and he is kind of easy to miss. It took me a couple of viewings to actually get a good look at him.<P>I wouldn't mind if they stuck brett in a few more scenes, and it would be understandable if PJ did that because he has developed quite following. But I sure hope that Arwen does not reforge Narsil, where did she learn how to forge? I don't think that young female elves are taught at a young age to work with hot metal, that would be rather odd. Maybe the elf that is forging is not Arwen but another female extra (because remember, they did run out of males to play elves because they had to be really tall and thin)
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Doesn't look like Figwit to me. And it's certainly not Arwen. It is most definately a man (albeit an effeminate one, in true Jackson "Elf" style ). I should imagine that he (and the other Elven smith) are just some more miscellaneous Elves. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> All the stuff with Elrond and Arwen can't be flashbacks it wouldn't make sense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why not? Why could these scenes have not taken place before the scene where we see Arwen leaving Rivendell in TTT? My theory is that they are in fact a flashback of Arwen and Elrond agreeing that he will take Anduril to Aragorn and that, because he can "no longer protect her" she will go to Lothlorien. So that, when we saw her leaving Rivendell in TTT, these scenes had already taken place and she was bound for Galadriel's realm. And surely, it is so much better that she is departing with Elrond's blessing.<P>As to the timing of Elrond presenting Anduril to Aragron, this surely takes place in Rohan, before Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead. Presumably, Elrond reminds Aragorn of that particular prophecy too. <P>I am sure that Jackson will come up with some reason as to why Aragorn should be given Anduril at this point rather than before, although I am in some difficulty in perceiving what it might be. Perhaps it is nothing more than Elrond finally buying into Aragorn's destiny, after being such a grouchy "doubting Thomas" in the first two films.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:25 AM   #17
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As to the timing of Elrond presenting Anduril to Aragron, this surely takes place in Rohan, before Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead. Presumably, Elrond reminds Aragorn of that particular prophecy too. <P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't know about this Saucepan. When looking at the background in the trailer during this scene it sure doesn't look like Rohan to me. For now I will still stand on my theory that Elrond tries to give Aragorn the sword in Rivendel but he refuses and Arwen sends it to him later which replaces the standard in the movie. A legit reason for this is the scene in the Extended FOTR where Aragron says he never asked for the power to wield Narsil.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #18
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what's the big deal about Figwit anyway? He only appears like once.

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #19
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that the scene of Elrond giving Aragorn Anduril is a flahback in Rivendell but is in fact in Rohan. To me it looks like it could be in a tent on the battlefield somewhere. In FOTR Elrond made the offer to Aragorn that Narsil be reforged but Aragorn refused saying that he did not have or want the power to wield Narsil. I don't think that Elrond would've had it reforged anyway and offer it to him again after he refused it once before.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #20
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please forgive my ignorance but who is Figwit?
Old 10-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #21
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

You aren't ignorant! Read the rest of the thread, and you'll se who Figwit is. Or go to <A HREF="http://www.figwitlives.com" TARGET=_blank>FigwitLives</A>. Hope this helps!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-09-2003, 09:15 AM   #22
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you very much.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #23
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I guess I was wrong when it came to Elrond giving Aragorn the sword because I have finally seen the trailer in theaters where the picture quality is much better and they are definately in a tent. But I thought Elrond was not supposed to leave Rivendel unitl the ring was destroyed or is PJ changing that too?

Old 10-12-2003, 10:26 AM   #24
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahhh...Elrond and Aragorn in the tent! Wasn't there this story aaaages ago that when they were filming that part, Elrond went in the tent with his hood up, flung his hood back and had his Agent Elrond sunglasses on? I mean Agent Smith... <BR>But no, there is no way that is Arwen...or Figwit I suppose, although him having been in the film for 3 seconds (or 5 in EE or something), it is kind of hard to judge.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:28 PM   #25
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks for the helpful answer Elentari.