The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
Adariana

Silmaril Legolas and Gimli

What went on with Legolas and Gimli after they went to Fangorn and Before they left on the ship? Who did Gimli have a son with? And did Legolas ever find a wife? I have only read LotR so far so I have no clue about this stuff. But they were my favorite dynamic duo.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:01 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

If I recall correctly, Gimli founded a Dwarvish enclave at the Glittering Caves of Aglarond and Legolas dwelt in Ithilien for a time. Gimli also assisted in the construction of new gates for Gondor. Beyond that I don't think JRRT wrote anything.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:44 PM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithadan:
<STRONG>If I recall correctly, Gimli founded a Dwarvish enclave at the Glittering Caves of Aglarond and Legolas dwelt in Ithilien for a time. Gimli also assisted in the construction of new gates for Gondor. Beyond that I don't think JRRT wrote anything.</STRONG>
He became Lord of the Glittering Caves if I remember right. the only other thing was that Legolas built a ship after the death of King Elessar and he and Gimli sailed into the West. Gimli being admitted at the request of Galadriel.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #4
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

That was mere speculation, Elrian. I doubt Gimli would have been allowed into the West even if Galadriel wished it.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:30 PM   #5
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It says pretty clearly at the end of appendix A of the Return of the King that Gilmi went with Legolas into the west
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli was the first and only of dwarven-kind to come to the Undying Lands. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This matter is mentioned in Appendix A and the Tale of Years:

Quote:
We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Glóin's son with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf. If this is true, then it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter.
Quote:
Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed an end was come in the Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
So Gimli's passing into the West is perhaps more than just speculation, but certainly not a definate fact.

-Voronwe
Old 01-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

There is also a story about Gimili helping Aragorn out in the Fourth Age. When The King went to explore Isengard to see what Saruman had been up to, Gimili found a secret door that Saruman had made. Without him, Aragorn would not have found it. Inside was a place for the One Ring. Saruman obviously expected to find it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Elendur ]
Old 01-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #9
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The part about Gimli is in the Appendix. yes, Saruman had some family heirlooms stashed away in there too, like the Elendimir, and the case Isildur kept the ring in.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:01 AM   #10
Elenhin
Wight

Elenhin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About Gimli and the Undying Lands:
In Letters (#154) Tolkien refers to Gimli's journey to Aman as a fact.

Quote:
...and so certain 'mortals', who have played some great part in Elvish affairs, may pass with Elves to Elvenhome. [Frodo, Bilbo, Sam were allowed]; and as a unique exception Gimli the Dwarf, as friend of Legolas and 'servant' of Galadriel.
Elenhin is offline   Reply With Quote