The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2001, 12:31 PM   #1
Treebeard

Sting Pippen looking into the Palantir

I hope I spelt that right.

When he stole it from Gandalf and looked in, was he actually speaking to Sauron directly?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been discussed, but I only just read the books for the first time literally 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for being patient with me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to the Downs! We try to be patient because most of us do recall all the questions we had the first time we read the books. Other sites may flame "newbies", but flaming is not tolerated here.

Yes, Pippin was "speaking" directly to Sauron, who, in his excitement, failed to ask who the "Hobbit" was and what his mission might be.

In the Books Forum (not Books II) are several discussions about the Palantiri, including whether they draw a person to use them or whether that is a side-effect of their being controlled by Sauron. Welcome again and post often!
Old 11-27-2001, 03:00 PM   #3
Treebeard

Sting

Thanks, I've been to many a board, and this is one of the most welcoming I must say. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So Pippin actually saw Sauron? The Palantir is sort of like the Ring then, as it has a pull on people, and almost controls them?
Old 11-27-2001, 03:31 PM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

As to the latter, it was a subject of significant debate with no clear result. There were good arguments on all sides. That thread can be found here

As to the former, we do honestly try very hard. Disagreements and a bit of fighting are inevitable, but we are a community and treat ourselves as such.

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 12-22-2001, 05:10 PM   #5
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Sting

I'm not sure if Pippin saw Sauron. He tended to appear as one Eye, which earned him the title "the Eye of Mordor"
And from the way Gandalf takled, and the way Pippin acted, I would say that the Palantir was exerting some sort of pull on him. I'm really not sure...
Old 12-23-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

There was an interesting thing mentioned in the movie that I'd never thought of. They said that Sauron had no physical form during the War of the Ring. Although I don't think it's stated anywhere by Tolkien, this actually makes some sense. Since he didn't have the Ring, it is possible that he didn't have enough power to create a new form for himself.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 06:33 PM   #7
Runtish_weasel

Sting

When Sauron is reffered to as a flaming eye i always assumed it was ment in the metaphorical sense. Meaning that he isn't actually an eye sitting at the top of his tower but a metaphor for his burning desire and keenness to seek out the ring.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Palantiri

Quote:
When Sauron is referred to as a flaming eye, I always assumed it was meant in the metaphorical sense, meaning that he isn't actually an eye sitting at the top of his tower but a metaphor for his burning desire and keenness to seek out the ring.
Runtish_weasel, that is pretty much true. I always thought in my mind Sauron was a presence that could conjour the image of an eye in one who saw him, or through the Palantir which he had near him.

Unfortunatly, the movies have most likely tainted people's vision of Sauron to atht of a giant searchlight in a magnetic field.. ..
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

There was an interesting thing mentioned in the movie that I'd never thought of. They said that Sauron had no physical form during the War of the Ring. Although I don't think it's stated anywhere by Tolkien, this actually makes some sense. Since he didn't have the Ring, it is possible that he didn't have enough power to create a new form for himself.

I realize that this is an old thread...but Tolkien does say that Sauron could take shape during the Third Age. After Isildur cut the Ruling Ring from Sauron's finger at the end of the Second Age, Tolkien wrote:
"Then Sauron was for that time vnquished, and he forsook his body, and his spirit fled far away and hid in waste places; and he took no visible shape again for many long years."

During the Third Age, Sauron did took a physical shape as the Sorcerer of Dol Guldur or the Necromancer.

But, Sauron didn't need the Ring or the power he poured into the Ring in order to take shape. In fact, during the White Council which was called to debate what to do about the Necromancer, Gandalf said,
"It is not needed that the Ring should be found, for while it abides on earth and is not unmade, still the power that it holds will live, and Sauron will grow and have hope. The might of the Elves and the Elf-friends is less now than of old. Soon he will be too strong for you, even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine, and of the Seven he has recovered three."

Perhaps, Sauron choose to manifest himself as an eye ringed with flame during the War of the Ring.