The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2002, 04:17 PM   #121
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Re: "13 kids..."
Sam, that is. Me, I'm kidless. Sorry, I tend to get into character probably more often than I should. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Oh, please, Mister Gandalf! Don't turn me into anything unnatural!"
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #122
EDORAS

Sting

MY NICKNAME.

I CHOSE MY NICK NAME BECAUSE I WANTED ONE MAYBE NOONE HAD THOUGHT OF SINCE MOST PEOPLE OPT FOR CHARECTER NAMES RATHER THAN PLACES. I ALSO LIKE THE SOUND OF EDORAS.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:08 PM   #123
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Oh Samwise, I knew you weren't talking about yourself, but I had completely forgotten that Sam had 13 kids! Productive indeed.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:35 PM   #124
GANDALF@

Shield

I picked mine because I think Gandalf is the best character in the books, but thats just my opinion. gandalf rules [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2002, 09:59 AM   #125
Vitesse
Pile O'Bones

Vitesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vitesse means speed in French, but it's also the name of one of my favorite cars - the Triumph Vitesse, which was basically a little Triumph Herald economy car with a six-cylinder engine shoehorned in. Anyway I used to really like it, around the time I started posting on message boards. I still do, but nowadays I'm mostly taken to Italian machinery - I own a Fiat 128 and until recently, an immaculate Fiat 131 Mirafiori TC sedan (sold it less than two weeks ago). Those cars are virtually extinct in the USA and getting pretty rare in most other places too - thanks to typical Italian rust and quality issues and not being sports cars.

If there were such a thing, I'd be the all-knowing treebeard of old obscure cars.

But that's how I came to the name Vitesse.
Vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #126
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hama features in my favourite chapter: the turning point of the book as far as I'm concerned, where the wiles of Saruman and Wormtongue are defeated by Gandalf, Theoden is awakened and Rohan is roused for battle. Also for the excellent converstaion between Gandalf, Aragorn and Hama where they just quote proverbs at each other continuously:

A staff may be more than a prop for a wizard, but in times of doubt a man of honour trusts to his own judgement.

and so on. Hama's a bit of a dunce as a bouncer, but he has his heart in the right place.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #127
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Lets take a wild guess why my names is what it is! Maybe because i smoke? NO! Maybe Because i am a pyro....COUUUULLLLLDDD BEEEE! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2002, 04:17 PM   #128
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Welcome, all you newcomers, as I fear there's no way I could remember all of your names......:confused

Quote:
"If I hear not allowed much oftener I'm going to get angry."
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-15-2002, 04:01 PM   #129
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's my reason for the nickname - I didn't want to take over a person's name from the book - I'd rather be a first-rate me than a second-class somebody else. I feel very human, so that means no elf, dwarf or hobbit name. The last name came first - I'm a walker and the Elvish translation of Strider seems elegant without being highflying. When I read the story of Arwen and Aragorn in the appendix, I found his Elvish name "Estel", which means hope - that appealed to me and only needed some feminizing to be perfect. Wow - that was almost as serious and complicated as choosing names for my kids!! Anyway, here I am!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:28 PM   #130
Arwen

Sting

beacause, i want to be an elf, live in Rivendell and go on holidays in Lorien
Old 01-16-2002, 05:19 PM   #131
Dûrkriswen
Pile O'Bones

Dûrkriswen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Dûrkriswen: It's my Elven name. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Dûrkriswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 06:12 PM   #132
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

My nickname comes from this passage "A ship then new they built for him, of mithril and of elven-glass and shining prow no shaven oar nor sail she boar on silver mast, the simiril as lantern light and banner bright with living flame to gleam thereon by Elbereth herself was set, who hither came, and wings immortal made for him, and laid on him undying doom, to sail the shoreless skies and come behind the sun and light of moon." This is a song of Bilbo's from the fellowship of the Ring. I liked the word Elvenglass so I chose it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2002, 07:30 PM   #133
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Wow...I like it, Elvenglass, I like it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
LOTR Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)
Pippin stops to cook
Aragorn says there's no time
Apple hits a head.

Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman
Old 01-16-2002, 07:39 PM   #134
Dragonsk8ter87

Eye

My nickname is Telfan the Elf because I got it from this site using the "What is your elven name?" I like elves and wish to live in Rivendell some day.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Telfan the Elf ]
Old 01-16-2002, 11:03 PM   #135
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hrmm..I thought I posted in ehre before but it seems I didn't.

Maltagaerion is my elvish name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (the other names the name generators threw out didn't sound anywhere as neat)
Old 01-17-2002, 03:04 PM   #136
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
the other names the name generators threw out didn't sound anywhere as neat
I don't know what the other names were, but I think the one you picked sounds pretty neat, too.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #137
pippa

Sting

I chose mine because I am passionate about Celtic names and Meánoíche is a corruption of the name I use on other BBSes transalated into Gaelic. That in turn comes from a Leonard Cohen song.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #138
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm fansinated by Celtic names too and my [what you would call real] name is Seonad. gaelic for Janet. Enedhil is the elven translation, but my nickname in elven is Mortathraiel!
Does anyone else think that elven names and some hobbit names are distantly celtic-sounding? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 05:42 PM   #139
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Ghâshgûl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My nickname is simply the Black Speech version of Feanor ( "fire spirit" ). I think if Feanor would have changed the side, he would have been an excellent servant of Melkor, as he was full of passion and hate. Perhaps he would have translated his name into Black Speech. Of course this is just hypotetical.

I have choosen a Black Speech name not because I am feeling eeeeeeeevil, but because I am currently thinking about how the Ring War was from the viewpoint of the "bad guys".

Ghâshgûl
Old 01-18-2002, 05:44 PM   #140
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I picked dernhelm which is the name Eowyn used when she disguised herself as a man and a Rider of Rohan. I chose it because there are not many girl names to pick from, and I wanted a nickname no one else had but that still was associated with a female character.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:38 PM   #141
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting

I'm not sure if I already posted this, but ohwell... anyway I got my nickname off of the "what's your Hobbit name?" generator. There were others that I tried too, but I didn't like many of them, and pluse I absolutley love Hobbits, so,naturally I choose this one. Yup, thats it, nothing special to my nickname. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 11:37 PM   #142
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Samwise said:

Quote:
I don't know what the other names were, but I think the one you picked sounds pretty neat, too.
Well the other names were...

Orc - Akhrárz the Testy (Look out, hes 'testy')

Hobbit - Hildifons Underhill from the Far Downs (Too long!)

Dwarf - Parin Rockbringer (Not too bad)

Elf - Maltagaerion (Obviously the one I chose [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
Old 01-18-2002, 11:59 PM   #143
Aldaron
Haunting Spirit

Aldaron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first joined the board I was reading The Silmarillion and was taken with the character of Aldaron, who took care of trees.
That fit with my environmental nature.
Aldaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #144
Nazgûl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgûl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">Maltagaerion - i really like your orcish name.... hehehe...

I like the way all you smart people are doing translations to make names....
I especially like the name Ghashgul.... the black speech just sounds cool!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:38 AM   #145
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

My names were:

Elf: Sindalómiel
Dwarf: Varin Lightningshield
Orc: Bagsnik the Cleaver
Hobbit: Hanna Boffin from Archet
Old 01-19-2002, 11:37 AM   #146
pippa

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Enedhil:
<STRONG>I'm fansinated by Celtic names too and my [what you would call real] name is Seonad. gaelic for Janet. Enedhil is the elven translation, but my nickname in elven is Mortathraiel!
Does anyone else think that elven names and some hobbit names are distantly celtic-sounding? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Ooh I love your "real" name! I've never heared that one before.....mind if I use it for an RP character or in one of my stories at some point? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh and yes definitely the elven names. they sound very Celtic. On one of my Celtic baby name sites I use I found a Welsh name very similar to Arwen actually. Which leads me to wonder. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2002, 04:36 PM   #147
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Per Amyrlis:
Quote:
Amyrlis (pronounced ah-meer-lis, with accent on meer) Dornathan.
I don't know, I like the sound of your name.
Quote:
Gandalf: "Sam, do you know what Kingsfoil is?"
Sam: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] "That's a weed! "
(Yeah, I know, that particular instance didn't happen that way in the book. Nevertheless, I thought it was kinda cute/funny that Gandalf asked Sam of all people, and of course, Sam's response....) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #148
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was feeling very unoriginal so I picked Fenrir, the name of Loki's wolf son in Norse myth.
I picked it because:
a)It starts with the same letter as my name in real life.
b)I like the sound of Norse names and have a slight interest in mythology.
c)I feel sorry for, and occasionally admire, the bad guys in stories.
d)Fenrir is the slayer of Odin, even if he does get torn apart by Vidar afterwards he's still one hell of a wolf.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:09 PM   #149
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

mine really doesn't have anything to do w/tolkien...it's just a nickname i picked up when i was getting into this message board stuff last spring...i couldn't think of anything but it was late at night and where we live (waaaay out in the middle of nowhere) you can see the northern lights sometimes in the sky. so i looked out my window and there they were and there was my nickname [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] i use it on all the messageboards i go on.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:04 PM   #150
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

The nothern lights are beautiful, so I think you picked a good nickname Northernlight! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 04:37 PM   #151
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Meánoiche:
<STRONG>

....mind if I use it for an RP character or in one of my stories at some point? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
ohhhh, cool! I don't mind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] if you're wondering, it's pronouned 'shon-at' :S or 'shon'/'sean' instead of 'jan' (seonad/janet)...does that makes sense?? hope so [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 04:58 PM   #152
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Welcome, Northernlight!
Quote:
"Eavesdropping!", cried the wizard. "To punish you properly for listening, you shall go away with Frodo."
"Me Sir!", cried Sam. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray! "
Old 01-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #153
Nuinrog
Pile O'Bones

Nuinrog has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nuinrog was a general of Morgoth in the 4th age when he was released from Mandos. He was the ruler of Duloth-Arvanthand, which was Melkor's fortress upon Middle-earth, as his main one was on Valinor in the north, where he waged war with the Valar until Turin Turambar slew him(Melkor). Nuinrog was a fallen Vala and Master of Shadows. I am not sure who Nuinrog slew and was slain by, but I know he was killed.
Nuinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:41 AM   #154
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I was in a flippant playful mood after reading "Dude, Where's My Ring?" on this site. Thought any LotR site that had the nerve to make fun of the series had my vote. My nick is a wink at the mouthfuls these languages can be. I wasn't thinking of ents, really.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Maril
Old 01-21-2002, 02:04 PM   #155
bryniana
Pile O'Bones

bryniana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my middle name is Bryn...so Bryniana is a natural extension. It is the only part of my heritage that my family really passed on to me, so I am kind of proud of it.
bryniana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 07:30 PM   #156
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus
LOL! I like that!
Quote:
"Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee
Old 01-21-2002, 07:33 PM   #157
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Nuinrog, welcome!

Quote:
LOTR Moment (IV) (Moria?)
Orcs are everywhere
Sam whacks one with a pot
gets..."the hang of this!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2002, 07:37 PM   #158
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Telfan the Elf, bryniana, welcome to the downs! Same to anyone I've missed, which I fear I probably have.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Quote:
LOTR Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)
Pippin stops to cook
Aragorn says there's no time
Apple hits a head.

Old 02-01-2002, 01:47 AM   #159
River Jordan
Animated Skeleton

River Jordan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*River* was an elf name I went by 12-15 years ago in high school when I was really into ElfQuest, and it seemed like a natural one for use here! I am River, the Elf!

*River*

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes." Frodo Baggins

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/YMF
River Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:48 AM   #160
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

River, I have to admit I'm disappointed - I thought your name was a cute pastoral pun because it goes with the last name! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote