The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Noldorian King?
Finwe 3 6.82%
Feanor 8 18.18%
Fingolfin 18 40.91%
Fingon 6 13.64%
Turgon 1 2.27%
Gil-Galad 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Speaking of a Silly Poll

Oh, this was just too good an idea to disappear...

Read, and then decide...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Finwe. His bravery in facing Melkor was so amazing. He also showed wisdom in answering the call of the Valar. And he's Number One!

And I hate Feanor. He's ... well, it's not a word the language filters would allow. (No offense to Feanor of the Downs.)

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Elven Jim Morrison

I chose Fëanor, because I've always had a soft spot for brilliant and tortured minds who eventually collapse into paranoia and self-destruction. And "Sil Kitchen" is still the greatest single of all time. Er, I mean...
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 02-22-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I'm going to continue my habit of perversely refusing to answer the question asked...

...and vote Finrod.

He may not have been The Noldorian High King, but he was a Noldorian king.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Quote:
[I'm going to continue my habit of perversely refusing to answer the question asked...]

...and vote Finrod.

He may not have been The Noldorian High King, but he was a Noldorian king. (Kuru)
Hear, hear! My father was one of the greatest of the Noldorin princes, and he was the youngest one, at that.

I maintain that he is the only one of the Noldor to break the Doom of Mandos through his own deed (keeping his oath to Beren). Besides, his duel against Sauron is no lesser deed compared to Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth.

But he wasn't a high king. *sigh*

Vzv, Elu, my granddad Finarfin did not use the title 'High King of the Noldor.' Though I wonder why . . .
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Quote:
Vzv, Elu, my granddad Finarfin did not use the title 'High King of the Noldor.' Though I wonder why . . .
I thought Tolkien (in very few places though) said off-handedly that Finarfin, since he went back, was 'recognized' as the High King, (whether he used the title or no is odd indeed)

Also, in many places, (is the Fall of Gil-Galad one?) it said Gil-Galad was the 'Last High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth.' implying that Finarfin was the one in Aman, i assumed.
________
Toyota Ae86

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Who in their right mind would argue with SoN? None of the others come close to rivalling the sheer awe inspiring tragedy and majesty of Feanor.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, man, Fingolfin, definitely. Apart of Maedhros, he's probably my favorite elf in the entire history! His lone combat against Morgoth was awesome, and the fact he died in it makes it even more so. And he endured so much by the hand of Feanor and made it all the way across the ice. . .a chap can't really help but like him.

-- Folwren
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Feanor was an Elf of genius, a great tragic hero, and possessed fine words. He had a correct anti-authoritarian instinct as well. But I can't quite forgive him for the impetuosity with which he destroyed the lives of his seven marvellous sons, many of whom were in their way as great as he. (I'd argue that Maedhros and Maglor were both greater, in fact. Whatever Tolkien says!)

Fingolfin is a stubborn, self-righteous usurper. He's excellent at cornering the moral highground, and striking noble postures; in the end, he was fortunate in finding such a good death. Any of the other great Noldorin princes, especially Maedhros, would have left just as impressive an account of themselves in that situation. What we tend to forget is that it was born of defeatism and despair.

Fingon...now there's a real High King. The breadth to see the need, repeatedly, for a united Noldorin front. Eventually he was to give his life for that unity. A death just as noble as his fathers, in a constructive battle not a duel that was more like a deathwish. A vanquisher of dragons. Faithful to his cousin Maedhros when all others turned away.

Turgon-another High King of at best debatable legitimacy. Wise policies and a relatively good judge of Elves, allowing Maeglin to show his quality despite his heritage. But rather manipulatory in his dealings with Hurin. Good king of Gondolin, but too isolationist to be an effective High King.

Gil-Galad-inherited the best of many of his ancestors. We tend to forget Gil-Galad's long reign in the Second Age before Dagorlad, but it was marked by wisdom, caution and discernment, as well as fine diplomacy. Another gallant death. Should have probably provided more effectively for a successor.

So in conclusion I vote Fingon-the greatest High King, though not quite the greatest hero of the Noldor.

Oh and Finwe? Never had to toil in the North and was pretty useless at the limited demands his task called for, completely screwing up his family for a nice Vanyar piece...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
1: Fingolfin, whose deeds I had the most admiration for.
2: Turgon, whose deeds I most probably would have done, given the same circumstances.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Fingolfin, certainly:

Feanor is certainly a compelling character. Driven by passions and a fierce spirit, he most definitely goes down as the most glorious King of the Noldor. The rendering of the Silmarils, skill of his hands...and who can deny the sheer awesomeness of Feanor pursuing his foes to his death, his heart rejoicing and his voice lifted up in song...

However, Fingolfin is the mainstay of the Noldor. While Feanor is pidling around spewing wrathful venom, wreaking havock and whatnot.It is he that leads the greater part of the main body. He holds together the army when it would have been sundered. Where would they then have been? Feanor smashed by Melkors pinky, and the rest exiled and with no place to turn to. And Fingolfin also has passion and a fierce spirit, as shown in the crossing of teh Grinding Ice, and his despairing battle with Melkor, of which teh elves do not sing, and the Orc do not speak. Basically, he's the man.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh, how I *despise* Turgon.....

Which is why I like Fingon, the anti-Turgon (I agree btw Kuru, Finrod is even cooler but he wasn't High King...)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I voted Fingolfin.

He wouldnt have been my first pick, but Finrod is another liked king of mine. But really, what a bout Finarfin? He was the High King in Aman after Finwe and the Flight of the Noldor really, all the others were High Kings in Beleriand (and Gil-Galad in Lindon). I mean after the Second Age, he was the man, right?(elf...)
________
Mercedes-benz slk-class

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Oh, how I *despise* Turgon.....
He's one of my least favourite characters too. Of course he is not evil in the way that Morgoth was evil, but his behaviour is still highly questionable to me. I think that hiding away his city was a natural reaction to the threat his people faced, but in doing so he effectively condemned said people to a life (and an endless life, at that) in a prison. Gondolin, the Gated Community of Arda. Hmmm...

Then there was his reaction to the appearance of Eol. Rules of Gondolin aside, I think his sense of 'ownership' of Aredhel was questionable at best, and when trying to decide who was the bigger hot-head, Turgon or Eol, I find that they are not very different at all.

Turgon seems to have the attitude of the 'conqueror', and once settled in his new land, he becomes insular. I think that it was no mistake that attitude towards the first Men to enter Gondolin was very different to that expressed towards Eol; he may have come to realise that the hope to keep Gondolin secret was one held in vain.

I realise many will disagree with me, but this is one of my favourite topics of argument.

In terms of who was the 'best' King, I think it would have to be Gil-galad. But in terms of which was most interesting and complex, I may possibly opt for Feanor, even though I do not like him very much.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I realise many will disagree with me, but this is one of my favourite topics of argument.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I agree with you. Turgon, though he's sometimes quite sympathic, is the king of a prison.
Following this logic, it was actually a good thing that Gondolin fell, since all those "prisoners" who could escape alive would be free...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote