The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #41
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
I like the FotR soundtrack, though that's possibly because I don't like change (well hate is probably more appropriate) and so these beings the first tunes I heard, they stuck with me and all others are being compared to them. The first track that I really love is 'Concerning Hobbits' and close behind is 'The Black Rider' because it starts happy and then gets into the ringwraith theme (which I love) - a little bit of everything! I've also grown to like the 'Treason of Isenguard' as when we played LotR in band I got to do some excellent long loud and low notes rather than fifty or so bars rest (if anyone could work out how to fit a tuba into 'Concerning Hobbits' I'd be very interested!).

I got an MP3 player too, and I have one folder with LotR music and one without, except for TTT trailer music, I love pretty much all the trailer music.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #42
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

Oh my gosh! An MP3 player is perfect for all types of exercise! And IT NEVER SKIPS!! Its probably the best gift I ever got. And I confess, I do fall asleep listening to LOTR songs...Plus, its really easy to smuggle into boring classes. Not that I've ever done that....
Old 04-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #43
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

FOTR~ Best song Concerning Hobbits, that's my driving music.
Also love May it Be with Enya. The lyrics are so moving and I try not to cry when I hear it.

TTT~ Love the King in the Golden Hall and every time the tune pops up in other songs.
Gollum's Song shows what it's like for Gollum. And the way Emiliana Torrini sings is so haunting.

ROTK~ Minas Tirith! All the way! I could listen to that song forever! I hum along like there's no tomorrow every single time. Also the last bit to The Fields of Pelannor. It's like when the Riders of Rohan are charing down. So powerful I almost cried when I was listening to it.
Into the West is by far the most moving song I have ever heard. I even used it for an English project when we were supposed to dig for the deeper meaning in a song. I could go on for ever about how much I love the music for these moves, but I've taken so much time already.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #44
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
TTT Trailer music...

In case anyone is wondering, the music for the TTT trailer is based on a theme called Requiem For A Dream...I don't really know who its by though...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #45
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I've been listening to the FotR soundtrack a lot lately and found myself enjoying it more than when I first listened to it. I love RotK's soundtrack. On the TTT's soundtrack, the Golden Hall song is my favorite.
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:16 AM   #46
Gimpel the Fool
Pile O'Bones

Gimpel the Fool has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gimpel the Fool
Silmaril The Soundtracks

I believe it's quite honest of me to say that "The Lord of the Rings" soundtracks have surpassed many in their beauty and elegance. Howard Shore is an awesome composer (the word "awesome" doesn't do justice, I'm afraid), and I was very pleased to find he won an oscar for his brilliance.

"As epic as you are, we must adjourn this meeting and return in the future"
Gimpel the Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #47
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
I only got the soundtracks yesterday (I found the box set of all three) but already I've formed a big impression. I love "Concerning Hobbits" and "May It Be" on Fotr. "Gollum's Song" on TTT is really good, and "Steward Of Gondor" and "Into The West" were really cool on Rotk. I keep singing Billy Boyd's bit in "Steward Of Gondor" because I think it's really cool.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #48
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Feared Half-Elf - Another fan of that bit!

I thought overall TTT soundtrack was not as good as the other two - it seemed more repetitive and the battle scene tracks were a little tedious I thought. However, I must say that I did particularly like the violin Rohan theme - it was rather striking and seemed to fit the scenes it was composed for perfectly. It came out the strongest in TTT, although it was present in RotK.

It's a close thing between the other two, but I think RotK is my favourite soundtrack out of the three, even though some of the tracks are extortionately long! One of the things I like the best about FotR soundtrack was the treble solo at the end of track 17, 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' (in fact, I like that entire track), as well as the heart string-twanging violins and flutes used in that track. There was much more of this present in RotK soundtrack, and so overall I liked it better. Also, it was very varied - a nice change from the slightly repetitive TTT soundtrack. However, I did feel that Enya's track 'May It Be' was more suitable to the films than Annie Lennox's 'Into the West'; neither the artist or the style of song really seemed to fit the film genre...
Old 04-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #49
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril Question

I saw a box set at Wal-mart for all 3 CD's, but it seemed to be to inexpensive to actually be THE Howard Shore versions. Is there any other version? Would be safe to buy and enjoy? Thanks y'all!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #50
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

There's actually a symphony for LOTR we played the movement called "Gandalf" in band, but I think it's only one CD. The one at Wal-Mart probably was the Howard Shore version. Even if it's not the symphony is awesome. I'd say you'd be safe in buying it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #51
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Is there any other version?
I, unfortunately, bought one of the soundtracks by "The New World Orchestra" thinking it was nice and cheap but it turned out to be completely synthesized. It's not nice to listen to and it's now hidden away never to see the light of day again.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:14 PM   #52
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Good grief, there isn't a soundtrack on sale from...*sinister voice* the cartoon films are there?! Horror!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #53
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There is, I've seen it myself at Wal-Mart, a soundtrack of...

Dramatic Music: *DUN DUN DUN*

the Cartoon version!

The Roast: Neigh!

Frightening, is it not?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:36 AM   #54
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Frightening? Oh yeah. Yeah, I'm scared...
Old 04-16-2004, 04:56 AM   #55
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also played Gandalf and I loved it. Gandalf is from the Lord of the Rings first symphony by Johan de Meij (Dutch). I have the CD, the symphony is half an hour long and I think it has five movements (songs) Gandalf,Lothlorien,Gollum, a journey in the Dark, and The Hobbits.
The orchestra is no other than the London Symphony Orchestra and I like the CD a lot.
Loved playing the easy version of the first symphony.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #56
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Taking this from the top...

Actually, Shore won two Academy Awards (Oscars) for the soundtracks - one for "Fellowship..." and one for "Return...".

The 'violin' playing the Rohan theme on "The King of the Golden Hall" from the TT-soundtrack is actually a Hardanger fiddle - a Norwegian folk music instrument with additional resonating strings.

The box-set with all 3 CD's is OK. It came out the same date as the RotK-soundtrack, and is simply the 3 soundtracks in one box. So you'll save money compared to buying them seperately.

Shore has written a symphony based on the soundtracks - he's touring with it, and if it isn't already recorded, it will be. The symphony have the music arranged in accordance with the books, so there are six movements each corresponding with one of the six books the novel is made up off. It might come out already in May, but I'm far from sure about this.

There's also talk of a complete LotR movie music box-set, with 8-10 CD's - a sort of a 'super-extended soundtrack'.

A lot of musicians have felt inspired and written music based on Tolkien. So, if you're only looking for the music Shore wrote for these particular movies, take an extra look at a CD you wanna buy - maybe it's not the right music!

I love the music Shore wrote - I have many favorites, but I think I'd like to mention one that others don't seem to. It's the Polynesian choir singing (in Dwarfish!) on "The Bridge of Khâzad Dûm" from the FotR-soundtrack - of course, the Fellowship theme that follows right after on the same track is also great!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #57
Lhundulinwen
Wight

White Tree

I now own TTT and RoTK, and a copy of FoTR, wich really stinks. I need the real one! I wish wal-mart would carry it, dang them. I need to complete the trilogy!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #58
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Have you tried Target?
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #59
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe i can identify

Quote:
I, unfortunately, bought one of the soundtracks by "The New World Orchestra" thinking it was nice and cheap but it turned out to be completely synthesized. It's not nice to listen to and it's now hidden away never to see the light of day again.
Heh. I got one 'preformed by Mask'. Basically the same thing, except tweaked a little, I'd much rather go for the real things :/.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #60
Lhundulinwen
Wight

White Tree

Well, the closest Target to where I live is about an hour away, and Wal-mart is more like 30 minutes away, so generally we go to wal-mart. But, me and a good friend will probably end up at Books-a-Million or Hastings weekend after next, so I should be able to get FoTR then. As long as I can keep from spending my money!!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #61
Gimpel the Fool
Pile O'Bones

Gimpel the Fool has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gimpel the Fool
Question

Does anyone have any idea as to where one could find a good music book of Howard Shore's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" for, say, a violin or guitar? I love the music so much, and I would love to be able to play it on an instrument and share what I love with my family and friends.

"As epic as you are, we must adjourn this meeting and return in the future"
Gimpel the Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #62
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Do you mean sheet music? Anyway, here's a link:

http://netscape.musicnotes.com/features/promo/lotr/default.asp

Why don't you do a search on the Google (or other) search engine? Keywords could be Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings, sheet music...

I know a lot of the music is available, also in arranged form for smaller ensembles and even solo instruments.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #63
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Favorite Song from the movies.

Mine is not really a song, more just music, but I love the Rohan violin Music. Anytime we are in Rohan I love to hear those wonderful violins play.

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-04-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #64
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I really enjoy the soundtrack music. Many moons ago I thought that if they ever filmed LOTR then the soundtrack would have to be based on the Donald Swann song cycle, but I was quite impressed by the job Howard Shore did. I too like the themes for the Rohirrim (it stirs up my viking genes ) and for the Hobbits (quite Vaughan Williams). I like the whole gothic nature of The White Rider, because I like stirring choral music. But I'm most fond of Gollum's Song...it's like the song Bjork never managed to do. Who is that woman who sings it?

The only thing I dislike about the CD soundtracks is the fact that they are these new-fangled interactive things and they take forever to load when I want to hear them at work!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #65
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Does anyone know where I can permantly down load the song "Use Well the Days" I only noticed this thread yesterday when it was bumped up and I became curious about the song. I heard the Mp3 of it but I was hoping there would be a version I could permantly down load on my computer. Like a version for Real Audio Player or iTunes ect. Thank you
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 PM   #66
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Who is that woman who sings it?
Emiliana Torrini.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to set up a new thread for an idea I've got... it would be sort of like CbC only instead it would be TbT: Track by Track, a musical analysis/discussion of the scores, one track at a time. Would anyone be interested in this?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 AM   #67
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

I'd be interesting in doing that track by track thing, Encaitare.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #68
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I think it sounds like a fun idea, Encaitare! Run it past Estelyn to make sure it'll be okay though.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 AM   #69
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Okay, cool. I happen to be at school right now and there are only around 15 minutes left till the end of study hall, so I can't do anything right now... perchance when I get home I'll start the thread, being sure to mind Mr. Wight's example-making/better topic thread. I'm glad people are interested!

Quote:
Run it past Estelyn to make sure it'll be okay though.
Heh... wouldn't want to miff Esty by stealing her title idea! Maybe I'll come up with something a little more creative...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #70
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
No need to work out a new name - Track by Track is fine. I suggest you put the thread on the Novices and Newcomers forum, as it will attract more general attention there than on the Movie forum. It sounds like it could make for an interesting discussion!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #71
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Alright, N&N, here I come. I'll just scamper off and begin, then.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #72
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

The Tennis Ball Kid has just left Hobbiton.
Box-set with complete score coming!

The entire score is coming out on CD! More info: here, and here.
Quote:
Anyway, things continue to progress at the corporate level. You know, with a project of this size, there’s always the question of exactly who will put it out? Or, how will it physically be packaged? Or, how will it impact other releases – when’s the best time to put it out? And of course there’s always the question of how exactly to present it all. There’s so much great music that you’ve not heard, even in the films. As I’ve mentioned before in emails to some of you, the word I’ve continually heard bandied about is "legacy." Everyone wants to make this something special. And we as fans know all too well what happens when things are rushed out.

So, that being said, understand that there’s not a set release date yet. I believe the intention all along has been to make this a fourth quarter release, which I think is a good idea. So, if it’s out in 2005, expect it around the holiday season. And should it be 2006, the same will hold true, I think. (This isn’t my way of hinting that it won’t be next year... no one really knows yet. As the other Douglas Adams said, "Don't panic!")
Quote:
he nine-disc cd set will be similar to the ROTK special edition soundtrack, in that it will most likely also have a documentary part with the cds. The cds will have every bit of music recorded for the EE editions of the three movies. It also will include some out takes, such as the first version of the fellowship theme, and music from an Arwen scene that was cut from the movie.
Anybody else excited about this?

ttbk
The Tennis Ball Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #73
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Oooh! Very excited indeed ... I wonder how much that will cost... Sounds great, though.

By the way, welcome to the Downs, Tennis Ball Kid!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #74
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Song at the end

Hi!
Does any one know what the song at the end of FOTR is called? I think it's the first song sung as the credits shows, it's a boy singing, but I don't know who? I love this song but I can't find it (and I haven't got the soundtrack)
Thanks
/Sharia
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #75
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sharia, the song is called "In Dreams" and it is sung by Edward Ross.

I know the track-by-track thread is in full swing and in the middle of ROTK over in the Novice and Newcomers forum (and I heartily recommend it to any who haven't seen it yet), but I figured I'd go ahead and make some comments here, as this is a more general soundtrack thread.

First, these are absolutely phenomenal soundtracks. Howard Shore has absolutely captured the spirit of the movies, and, I think, the spirit of the books. I think FOTR is my favorite soundtrack simply because every track is very memorable, but ROTK is gaining quickly and may overtake it.

Just a word of caution for FOTR though: Heavy on the Black Riders theme. It appears with full choir each time in #3 (The Shadow of the Past), #5 (The Black Rider), #6 (At the Sign of the Prancing Pony), #7 (A Knife in the Dark), and #8 (Flight to the Ford). It may be slightly overused, but I like it and sometimes find myself humming it.

The themes for all the soundtracks are phenomenal. Shire, Fellowship, Isengard, Mordor, Rohan, Gondor, Lorien, Nazgul . . . awesome. My favorite would have to be the Fellowship theme, with the Shire being a close second. The best Fellowship theme tracks are FOTR #11 (The Ring Goes South), FOTR #13 (The Bridge of Khazad-dum), and TTT #5 (The Uruk-Hai). Well, okay, those are the most majestic renditions. There are others that might be considered equally good.

I can't get over how awesome all the music is. The only one that makes me cry (or want to cry; I'm a sixteen-year-old male, after all) is ROTK #17 (The Return of the King), when the Shire theme is played sadly. This is the moment in the movie when everyone bows to the four hobbits at Aragorn's coronation. I wanted to cry when I saw that in the theatre, and I want to cry when I hear it in the soundtrack.

OK, I'll quit raving; you're all bored to tears, I'm sure. My favorite tracks are, not necessarily in this order:

The Bridge of Khazad-dum

The Breaking of the Fellowship

Concerning Hobbits

The Black Rider

The Uruk-Hai

Foundations of Stone

The Return of the King

The End of All Things

The White Tree

The Steward of Gondor

The Grey Havens

The Ride of the Rohirrim

Many Meetings

OK, I could probably go on, but I know you don't want me to. I will just add a word about the three original credit songs. Enya's (May It Be) is beautiful and used to be my favorite. Emiliana Torrini (Gollum's Song) is truly haunting and captures the heart of Gollum. But my favorite is Annie Lennox in Into the West. It's just a wonderful song, and, well, obviously, she makes an awesome delivery. I know some complain because it's a lot different style from the other two, but I think it fits the end of the movie perfectly.

All right, I'll stop now.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #76
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
My favourites are the fight scene music of Gandalf and Saruman in The Treason of Isenguard, The Bridge of Khazad Dum, the boy-sung poem at the end of the Breaking of the Fellowship, Evenstar, the slow charge part at the end of the Forth Eorlings, and the departure part of the Grey Havens.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote