The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #641
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
White-Hand

LOL, maybe we should, Miss Lynn.

Today I recieved the patch I ordered off of ebay. Very unique indeed.

As of today, one of my collectibles is being "changed". I was playing with my dog this morning, wearing my Hobbit shirt, 'cause I so rarely get to wear it. Well, my puppy, being big an' rough as he is, jumped on me, grabbed a hold of the shirt with his teeth, and r-r-r-r-r-rip! My mother said she could cut off and sew the picture part (of our four Hobbits) onto another shirt. That'll be okay, I never really cared for the fact that the shirt was black, anyway...not my color...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #642
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I discovered an interesting LotR collectible item in a little shop in Heidelberg recently - 3-D figures lasered into glass cubes! (The company manufactures lots of other figures, and what I bought was not LotR, but I thought it would be interesting to show to all of you.) Alas, the website pictures can't show the astonishing detail and the wonderful effect of the figures, which consist of thousands of tiny dots and can be viewed from all sides. The ring, floating diagonally in the glass cube, looks particularly spectacular. The site is in German, but you'll see the "Special: Lord of the Rings" link which takes you to that page. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #643
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Oh, WOW....

Those are cool. Of course I would want a Sam with Frodo to go with him, (if I had that kind of dinero at the moment) but Arwen is done just gorgeously, too.

I was bumping around ebay recently looking for something also totally not-LOTR related, and found THIS . It's probably something other folks have seen before, but I never had. Very cool, 'specially with all the Sams.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #644
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I was bumping around ebay recently looking for something also totally not-LOTR related, and found THIS . It's probably something other folks have seen before, but I never had. Very cool, 'specially with all the Sams.
Stacey, that's a great chess set--you'll love it. The board itself is pretty cool. It has a map of Middle-earth with a faint image of the ring as the light squares and the darker squares are a solid blueish color.

And an excellent find just this afternoon:

Legions of the Haradrim -- 3 piece set (3 inch)
Merry in Rohirrim armor on Stybba (3 inch)
Pippin in Gondorian armor in front of Gandalf on galloping Shadowfax (3 inch)

**and I'm still looking for that darn gaming gift to give myself lol**
Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 PM   #645
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Just won the chess set this afternoon. Don't know if I'll keep it all, as the figures...well, some of the figures pertain more to other folk than they do to me, if you take my meaning.

I am STILL waiting for the sets of cards I last mentioned. Usually I get a little over - anxious, but this time I feel the seller is taking way too long to send me what I bought... Then, as with another time, things do happen that are uncontrollable.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:09 AM   #646
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I added something very nice to my LotR collection today - a round puzzle with movie characters and scenes depicted on it. It can be seen here. It's called (translated) 'The Destruction of the Ring' and has 1000 pieces. I love jigsaw puzzles, though I will have to hide this one from myself to get other projects done before I start putting it together!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #647
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

VEERY very cool, Miss Estylyn!

I am still waiting for the cards I ordered... I'd sure like to know where in the world they ARE.....

Also waiting for the chess set...but that wouldn't be coming yet.....
Old 08-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #648
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, Esty! I am also trying to get a Ravensburger puzzle. This company makes the best puzzles. I tried to order a new LotR Ravensburger puzzle for the holidays but they were totally sold out, at least at the English language sites I can access. Now they are starting to show up on e-bay so I am trying again. I'll let you know if I have any success!

As some of you know, most of my collecting is in books. That means my taste and desires are often too expensive for my means. But the other day I picked up a 1980 Guild publication Lord of the Rings for a song. The person had a Guild Hobbit up on e-bay that finished just a few minutes before. Everyone focused on that so I was able to sneak in with a $10 bid on LotR and snarf it up. It is one of those fancy leather books that weighs a ton: maroon and gold published in London that's technically a first edition.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:46 PM   #649
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Oooooh......

Miss Child, that sounds just wonderful.
You just collect the LOTR books, or..."HOME", and all of that kind of thing?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #650
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It is definitely an advantage in this case that Ravensburger is a German company - I found that puzzle by chance in the supermarket, just walked past a shelf where it was on my way to the groceries!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #651
Child of the 7th Age

Tolkien

Quote:
You just collect the LOTR books, or..."HOME", and all of that kind of thing?
Samwise,

Well, I have to admit that I collect more books than anything else. It's the librarian/archivist in me! Plus....remember how Bilbo's study looked? Mine is just as cluttered with papers and stacks of books with bookmarks in them.

I've been buying Tolkien books off and on a long time--all the way back to the mid-sixties. Most of my treasures came from garage sales and library book sales where I rescued them from the depths of some bargain bin. I have a lot of paperbacks, some hardcover, a few fancier things. For the last few years, I've also haunted e-bay. My stuff takes up two good sized bookcases. But, to tell the truth, half of the fun is in the chase. You look for some things for a loooong time, and then unexpectedly you find it. So you pat yourself on the back and start all over again!

I do have all of HoMe, mainly the US editions. But some of my stuff is more lively than that, since one of the main reasons I collect books is for the illustrations. There are lots of Middle-earth artists I like, plus JRRT's own pictures. I have several posters plastered on the walls of my house that go a ways back. (They peacefully co-exist with my husband's baseball collection.) More recently, I've started buying a few calendars and oscar ads, and lots of postcards -- both from the movies and the books. Postcards are fun because you can afford to indulge even when you are broke. And all my collections are heavy on hobbits!

I also love things like statues, miniature pewter figures, little boxes and such. These go on top of my piano. Like you, my prize movie treasure is Sam with Bill the Pony. And my prize music cd is Starlit Jewel (the one from Marian Zimmer Bradley). I just got a cross stitch pattern for two scenes from the movies. We'll see if I make any progress on that.

Interestingly, my kids both have small LotR collections too. My son's is heavy on Gimli, and my daughter's on Legolas.

Basically, I live in a house which is peopled with Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits, and members of the old Brooklyn Dodgers!

Ooh, Esty, that is nice! To pick up such a puzzle when you are grocery shopping!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 AM   #652
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Cross stich pattern, Child?? Where did you find that? Which movie scenes does it depict? Now if someone would only develop a nice LotR patchwork pattern...
Old 08-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #653
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White Tree What? ? ?

Cross-stitch pattern? What cross-stitch pattern? I want to see!

I finally got my LOTR TCG cards today, 1 Realms of the Elf-Lords, 1 TTT, 1 ROTK, and 3 Fellowship.

The Two Towers
  • Place: Eastemnet Gullies
  • Dunlending Arsonist
  • Ugluk (yeeccchh)
  • Mahur (double yeeccchh--orcs look even worse in foil)
  • Gandalf the White Wizard (finally--a GOOD guy!)
  • Uruk pursuer
  • War and Valor (pic of Boromir)
  • Southron Soldier
  • Sword of Rohan
  • Kill Them Now (more yucky Uruk)
  • Forth Eorlingas! (pic of Theoden)

Realms of the Elf Lords
  • Caras Galadhon (purdy)
  • Isengard Retainer (what IS with all the ORCS???)
  • Citadel of Minas Tirith
  • Seek and Hide (Frodo and the Cave Troll--what is this doing in 'Realms of the Elf Lords?
  • Isengard Axe (and nasssty Orc....)
  • One of You Must Do This (Gandalf and Boromir going at it [with words] at the Council of Elrond)
  • Fireworks(....Ooooh.....Quote from Samwise the Poet: "The finest rockets ever seen:/they burst in stars of blue and green...")
  • *sigh* Orc Warrior....
  • Old Noakes: Purveyor of Wisdoms (Noakes was my grandmother's maiden name: go figure)
  • Coming for the Ring (can you guess? Yep--bunch of nasty Orcs)
What most of these have to do with "Realms of the Elf Lords" is beyond me....

Return of the King
  • Gorgoroth Engineer (Orcs must have been REALLY easy to put out!)
  • Mordor Vetran (reallly yucky Orc)
  • Tower of Ecthelion (finally--it's not an Orc)
  • Denethor:Steward of the City (the look on his face almost reminds me of an Orc)
  • Gorogoth Sapper (do I have to say it? )
  • Great Gate (a pic with NO orcs)
  • Peace of Mind (Pippin and Gandalf on the balcony at Minas Tirith--from the back, darn it! They can take so many pictures of ORC faces, but NO_OOO...)
  • War long planned (pic of a spear-head)
  • SAM--Needer of Vittles (WOOOHOOOOO! A SAM!!!) I already have this card in foil.
    One can never have enough Sam....
  • Orc Chaser ('nuff said...)
  • War Towers (mumakil/Oliphaunt)

Fellowship Pack 1
  • Lothlorien Woods
  • Nazgul Sword
  • The Gaffer *grin*
  • Goblin Scimitar
  • Sleep, Caradhras (Yike! Avalanche!)
  • Shadow's Reach (Frodo in the dark at Bag End)
  • Goblin Patrol Troop
  • Delving
  • Stout and Sturdy (Ah, yes....don't mess with my fave Hobbit....]

Fellowship Pack 2
  • Shire Lookout Point --Frodo and Sam from the back, DAG NAB IT!
  • Rumil
  • The Pale Blade {{{shudder}}}
  • Hobbit Sword--Four swords, four Fuzzy Hobbit feet
  • The White Arrows of Lorien -- Lego's gift
  • They Are Coming -- "The Last thing written is a trailing scrawl of Elf-letters: they are coming. "
  • Uruk-Hai raiding party (can I NOT get away from these guys????)
  • Anduin Banks-The Fellowship leaving in the Elven Boats
  • Eregion's Trails--the four Hobbits following Strider
  • Unfarmiliar Territory --Lego getting ready to shoot in Moria

Fellowship Pack 3
  • Mithril Mine (wierd...the pic is upside-down, I swear.....)
  • Gandalf's Cart (with Gandalf in it)
  • Merry, Friend to Sam (Yay! A Hobbit, not an Orc!)
  • Orc Soldier (Ugh, speaking of which....)
  • Hobbit Sword (Again)
  • The Gaffer's Pipe
  • The White Arrows of Lorien
  • They Are Coming
  • Uruk-Hai raiding party
  • Anduin Banks
  • Eregion's Trails

Huh....I think I got mixed up, or I very weirdly got a lot of doubles....oh, well, you're probably tired of reading this list anywho....anyway, I GOT the cards!

Last edited by Samwise; 08-16-2004 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Adding on
Old 08-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #654
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Oh, dear.......

......must take a break from ebay. I am soon going to be recieving two of these and THESE !

Plus, one of the folks from my LOTR home page sent me these !
  • Knocked on the head (poor Mr. Merry)
  • Warmed a bit (Merry and the Fool of a Took)
  • It burns us (Sam, Frodo, and {{{Gollum}}})
  • Samwise the Brave
  • Filbert Bolger
  • Bounder
  • Frodo-Son of Drogo
Some of these cards I already have, but most of them I did not. Besides, if someone is going to hand me Sam cards, who am I to complain? Now if only I could find a ton of Eomers to pay her back...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #655
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
lets see
I just discovered the card game and bout...three? big boxes that had 224 cards each and like 20 packs...then built three decks and relized i dont know how to play.

My mom just got back from germany she brought me a magazine the has herr der ringe...return of the king(Forgot the German) posters in it I already put em all on my walls.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #656
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

WOW!

I have no clue how to play the game, either. I just get them for the pictures.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #657
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
well seeing how many cards i have I have about a bajillion doubles and triples and quadruples.... I like all the ents

I have:

Quickbeam
Ent Avenger
Brichwood and
Treebeard..maybe(goes searching gandalf deck)
I have like five balrogs

yes sam is one of my favorites to collect

Sam Ents Nazgul Orcs
Old 08-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #658
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1000 words

I took this picture so I could post it here. That was a long time ago. But well, here it is, even though it's outdated now...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:24 PM   #659
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What an impressive collection, Helen! Mine doesn't take up nearly that much space, as I buy only one copy of each book I own! I added about a dozen to my shelf, since I spent lots of money in bookstores when I visited London last week. Here's my list of new acquistions:

Bilbo's Last Song - JRRT, illustrated by Pauline Baynes (lovely!)
a book of 20 LotR postcards, with pictures by various artists
The Soddit (Hobbit parody) - A.R.R.R. Roberts (funny)
The Hobbit Companion - David Day (I'm not a big Day fan, but this is a cute, illustrated little volume)
Tolkien: Man and Myth - Joseph Pearce (I've started reading this and am really enjoying it)
Tolkien and the Great War - John Garth
The Real Middle Earth - Brian Bates (Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages)
Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon - Brian Rosebury
Tolkien's Art - Jane Chance
The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien - essays from TORn authors

Now, where can I buy time to get all of those read?!

*...and the other two, if you counted? Well, they're not Tolkien-related, exactly (just two Harry Potter parodies...)
Old 08-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #660
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thanks, Esty!

I loved the Pearce book; I envy you the Garth book. And Bilbo's Last Song is amazing! Let me know what you think of the TORn book-- I passed on that one!

Yeah, four shelves worth of trilogies-- redundancy is high on my list of ideosyncrasies. I like the cover art. My husband says, "But it's all the SAME BOOK!" (Only four shelves worth! The rest are bios, critical works, & HoME...)

I should clean the place up, and get a better picture with the more recent changes (as, the Gandalf doll went to live with a friend...) Separate the harp, and the bow... put the cloaks out... that sort of thing. Maybe I should just redesign the whole room around the collection! Now there's a likable thought... time to lose the cold-metal desk anyway...
Old 08-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #661
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

WOW, Helen, what a gorgeous collection!

I know what you meant about the doubles and triples, Morgul....I find they are handy to give as gifts to other LOTR-minded folks. (I have given a couple to another Barrowdowner of Li'l Mr. Wood/Frodo, for example....)
Old 08-28-2004, 06:32 AM   #662
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I forgot to mention the most important (to me) - and most expensive! - of my book purchases, as it wasn't in the stack waiting for a space on my shelf, but on my piano. It's The Road Goes Ever On, with Donald Swann's music to Tolkien's poems. There's even a CD included with this new edition, but I'm working my way through the book to get a first impression on my own before listening to it. Maybe I'll write a review of it then - I don't recall that anyone has done that yet, though it's been mentioned and I assume I'm not the only one here who has it.

From what I've tried so far (and no, I'm not a singer, though I have enjoyed accompanying them on the piano - my playing is definitely better than my singing!) I would say that they're not the kind of popular melodies Peter Jackson would have incorporated in the movies. They follow the classical art song tradition, similar to Schubert's songs, perhaps. More later...
Old 08-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #663
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, it would be impossible to photograph my books and all the other bits and bobs, as they're all over the house, but as my little figures are in their display case (cat protection) I thought I'd show 'em off. I've actually bought most of these this year - once I started I could not stop - all bargains, more or less! I told myself I would not bother collecting them if they were tacky, but I doscovered that they're excellent little figures, so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM001494.JPG (61.6 KB, 521 views)
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #664
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Wow, that's impressive, Lalwendė! What a collection!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #665
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow, some of these collections are massive! Here's my humble collection:

Books:

- three-in-one Alan Lee illustrated LotR
- smaller paperback copies (two of which are my aunt's from the 70s)
- the Silm hardcover, illustrated by Ted Nasmith
- HoME I-V paperback box set
- the Tolkien Reader
- the Languages of Middle Earth (I forget who wrote it)
- Weapons and Warfare movie book, very interesting but not entirely accurate to LotR
- The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring (movie book)
- The Art of the Two Towers (also a movie book)

Alas, I don't own the Hobbit or UT yet.

Movies:

- FotR EE DVD
- National Geographic DVD on LotR which came with the above
- TTT EE DVD (so much abbreviation!)
- RotK regular DVD... can't wait for the EE!
- Secrets of Middle Earth DVDs, which analyze the Hobbit and each section of LotR. I have yet to watch them; I never seem to have the time.

CDs:

- all three movie soundtracks; I hope they make longer ones with the EE music included. All the music would be nice, because there is some beautiful stuff which aren't on the soundtracks.
- "Nightfall in Middle-earth" by Blind Guardian

I'm always on the lookout for Tolkien-related CDs but so far I have not come across anything which sounds the way I've imagined it. I wanted this CD that Christopher Lee made, but when I finally had the money the store didn't have it anymore

Other:

- four movie posters
- the Evenstar necklace
- tons of little newspaper clippings sprinkled all over my walls
- a fantasy magazine with a lovely series of LotR movie articles
- a keychain with the Ringspell on it
- the One Ring (which came off a bookmark tassel)
- maybe fourteen bookmarks, most of which I can't find because they're scattered in various books
- a Legolas patch
- Aragorn pin
- pack of cards
- Argonath bookends which I love fiercely
- Aragorn light-up glass goblet! Very cool.
- massive T-shirt
- brochures from the museum exhibit I just went to
- two prints, I believe by the brothers Hildebrant, autographed by them (fortunately they're not any of the goofy-looking ones. They're good.)
- a "Herr der Ringe" book my friend got for me in Germany. Very intriguing, although I actually sat down and read the whole thing depite the fact that I understood around three words.

That's all I can think of right now, although I am sure there's more... I'm trying to convince my parents to buy the chess set, but so far it's not working. I'm also trying to convince them that a sword is a perfectly logical thing to buy. Sort of working.

Now that I look at it, wow, I do have a lot of stuff!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:49 PM   #666
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I just remembered this CD and listened to the samples on the site, and I must say the "Merry Old Inn" song is great. It had me giggling, anyway. I wasn't very happy with Galadriel's song, but I think that elvish music would be very hard to place or write, especially something by Galadriel. I actually have a friend who's planning to major in music composition, and she is currently working on a piece for Galadriel's Lament (Ai! Laurie lantar lassi surinen etc., not I sang of leaves etc. -- the site calls the latter the Lament.)

Here's the site; it seems relatively promising. Sadly the CD seems to have been temporarily discontinued, and I can't find it on eBay or Amazon.com.

http://www.flowinglass.com/sjewel.html
Old 08-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #667
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Encaitare,

That is one of my favorite CDs. I had the great fortune of finding a folk music dealer who had "one or two " copies left. I got one of them, still shrinkwrapped, for a paltry fifteen bucks-- that is, for the original price; no scalping. Miraculous. Their elvish songs take a few listenings to grow on you; but I find they stand the test of time very, very well.

The only other elven songs I prefer to the Starlit Jewel versions are: Tra La La Lally by The Hobbitons (Hilarious!) and THe Lay of Nimrodel and Legolas' Song of Lebennin by The Tolkien Ensemble. THeir Legolas totally rules, and their Aragorn is fabulous too IMO.

Best Hobbit: Hobbitons (also out of production, woe is us.)

Have you checked out the Music Reviews thread?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #668
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I took this picture so I could post it here. That was a long time ago. But well, here it is, even though it's outdated now...
Geez, Helen, you have even more sets of LotR etc than I do. My books only take up two shelves!

Quote:
I know what you meant about the doubles and triples, Morgul....I find they are handy to give as gifts to other LOTR-minded folks. (I have given a couple to another Barrowdowner of Li'l Mr. Wood/Frodo, for example....)
Any gift of Frodo is always appreciated, Stacey!!

Quote:
Well, it would be impossible to photograph my books and all the other bits and bobs, as they're all over the house, but as my little figures are in their display case (cat protection) I thought I'd show 'em off. I've actually bought most of these this year - once I started I could not stop - all bargains, more or less! I told myself I would not bother collecting them if they were tacky, but I doscovered that they're excellent little figures, so...
Ah, Lalwendė...a fellow action figure collector! Aren't they fabulous?

Quote:
I'm also trying to convince them that a sword is a perfectly logical thing to buy. Sort of working.
Encaitare, I think swords are perfectly logical...I currently own five: Sting, Hadhafang, Strider's Ranger Sword, Narsil, and the LE Andśril. There are a few others that I have my eye on, but (unfortunately) funds are not currently available.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #669
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alatariel - it was ages ago I asked about collecting the figures and you warned me that this would become addictive. How right you were! I do like those Armies of Middle Earth ones too, but it's harder to find a good rendition in these. You can buy a Fellowship set (which I didn't buy and have not seen since) and I have seen a picture of a Shelob's Lair set, which also attracts me because I like spiders!

I think one of the nicest things I have obtained was a handmade silver One Ring (not laser-etched). I have wanted one of these for the last twenty-odd years and finally found one - not underneath the Misty Mountains but on e-bay - it's well worth anyone checking it out for these.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #670
Child of the 7th Age

Esty ,

Please let me know what you think of the Bates book. I was thinking of getting a copy.

I wanted to share my most recent acquisition. This was a big, big splurge. All summer, I watched as one of the dealers in rare books auctioned off books autographed by Pauline Baynes. Many of these were Tolkien; some were Lewis, Arabian Nights, or other fairy tales. This was done for a good cause: she wanted to support an animal shelter in the UK with needed funds. Most of the books went at prices way above my head. Then I saw this:

Here is the link: here

I had been saving money over the summer and hadn't spent any of it. My resolve faltered....and now the bookplate proudly sits nestled amid the first pages of Bilbo's Last Song.

In the meantime, I have sworn off e-bay....for at least one week.

My other splurge is coming through my mom who knows how crazy I am! She has preordered the 2005 Allan and Unwin anniversary edition from Amazon in the UK as a holiday gift. It is to be issued in late October. Here is the description:

Quote:
Special 50th anniversary edition of the literary phenomenon voted Book of the Century and the Nation's favourite Big Read. Includes revised and reset text and special features unique to this edition. This deluxe cased volume contains the complete text, fully corrected and reset, and features for the very first time the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, illustrations done by Tolkien and intended for inclusion in the famous 'Bridge of Khazad-dum' chapter. Also appearing are previously unpublished family trees and two, full-size fold-out maps. Sympathetically packaged to reflect the classic look of the original, this brand new volume will prove irresistible to collectors and new fans alike.
This sounds like something special, and I am looking forward to seeing the package arrive.

Later Edit: Encaitare,

Regarding Starlit Jewel, which is issued by the MZB's estate..... The music is among my favorite, and also because I have had a weakness for Marian Zimmer Bradley for many years. (I have a signed first edition of one of the Arthur series, which I got when she came to a local bookstore long ago. She was a lovely person to meet.)

The reason they cost so much is that the Estate pulled them off the market for not having the right license. I've seen them go on e-bay for $100! I managed to get my own on e-bay for less than half of that, but still a lot more than $15.
I did it by having a favorite search for Starlit Jewel and the minute a reasonable "buy it now" came up in my e-mail box (it just happened to be a new one but I would have taken anything), I pounced on it. But the whole search took a good four months.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-29-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #671
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Thanks for the thread link, mark12_30; I will be sure to check it out! Seems like a very high-demand album I stumbled upon, huh? Thanks for the info on it, guys, I'll keep an eye out for it...

Alatariel-- You lucky, lucky thing, you! My dad's weakening about the sword thing... ::crosses fingers::

A couple more things I have!

- a beautiful map of Middle-earth that I just love to sit and stare at
- a popcorn bag with Aragorn and Arwen on it that I saved from the movie theater
Old 09-01-2004, 01:25 PM   #672
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, here goes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit (Alan Lee illus)
The Annotated Hobbit

LotR (Alan Lee illus)

The Silmarillion (1st ed hb)
The Silmarillion (Ted Naismith illus)

Unfinished Tales (1st ed)

Bilbo’s Last Song (large P/b & small H/b)

History of Middle Earth (p/b’s & index & 3 vol h/b in slip case)

Farmer Giles & Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Tree & Leaf, Smith of Wooton Major & Homecoming of Beortnoth

Sir Gawain, Pearl & Sir Orfeo

The Monsters & the Critics

Roverandom

The Road Goes Ever On

Artist & Illustrator

Vinyar Tengwar 39 (Osanwe Kenta) & 41

Letters

Carpenter Biography

Tolkien & the Great War

Complete Guide to Middle earth (Foster)

Tolkien’s Legendarium

JRR Tolkien & his Literary Resonances

Tolkien Studies (vol 1)

Tolkien the Medievalist

Tolkien & the Invention of Myth

Meditations on Middle earth

Celebrating Middle earth: LotR as a Defense of Western Civilisation

Splintered Light

A Question of Time

An Introduction to Elvish

A Sindarin Lexicon

Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon

People’s Guide to JRR Tolkien

Master of Middle earth

One Ring to Bind them All

Tolkien in the Land of Heroes

The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien

LotR: The Mythology of Power

Tolkien’s Art

The Inklings

Tolkien: Man & Myth

Tolkien; A Celebration

A Closer Look at LotR (also pub as Tolkien’s Ordinary Virtues)

Finding God in LotR

Secret Fire: The Spiritual Vision of JRRT

Of Orc-Rags, Phials & a Far Shore: Visions of Paradise in LotR

JRR Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth

Tolkien in Perspective

Following Gandalf

The Magical World of JRR Tolkien

Frodo’s Quest

TheMaps of Middle earth (boxed set)

Tolkien’s World

Concerning Hobbits & Other Matters

A Tolkien Bestiary

Tolkien: Illustrated Encyclopedia

JRRT: Centenary Conference Collection

A Dictionary of Quenya

Touchstone Magazine Tolkien Special

Silmarillion Audiobook

BBC Hobbit

BBC LotR

BBC Tales from the Perilous Realm (dramatisations)

JRRT: An Audio Portrait

Tolkien: Audio Collection

Fired By the Ring (documentary)

Starlit Jewel

Tolkien Ensemble: An Evening in Rivendell, At Night in Rivendell, At Dawn in Rivendell

JRRT: A Film Portrait of JRR Tolkien

Mallorn 40-42

Amon Hen 173-188

Best of Amon Hen 1&2

Tolkien, A Mythology for England?

The Atlas of Middle Earth

Journey's of Frodo

(on order: new Naismith illus 2nd ed Sillmarillion, & LotR 50th anniversary ed)

(Oh, & various movie stuff)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #673
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My goodness, what an impressive book collection, davem!! Some of those I have recently bought - it would be interesting to hear your opinion on them.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #674
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

...yowza, davem!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #675
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

davem - that's a superb collection!

Quote:
JRRT: A Film Portrait of JRR Tolkien
Is this the BBC Omnibus documentary which was broadcast some years ago? This was an excellent documentary. I also have a taped edition of The South Bank Show on Tolkien which was well worth seeing.

Has anyone else got the very peculiar Lord of the Rings tarot cards? I found these in a shop in York a while ago. A few years ago I also found a copy of The Tolkien Family Album in one of those remaindered book shops for £1.99. I was looking at it the other day and was horrified/delighted to discover it is a first edition.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #676
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Well, davem, I cannot beat that. Although I have a moderately small collection of books ect, People seem to see it as large. Mind you, I live in an area where I'm lucky to meet someone who actually knows what a book is!
But here goes;

From right to left on my book case, first level;

Full-unabridged Silmarillion, by Martin shaw (CDsRead)
Lord of the rings films (animated, RotK, tTT, Fellowship followed by Fellowship and tTT extended editions)
Return of the King (Black paper back)
The Two towers (Black paper back)
Fellowship of the Ring (Black paper back)
Lord of the rings trilogy (Blue, modern classics)
The Hobbit (Hard back, cover illustration by Tolkien)
The Hobbit (Black paper pack)
The Hobbit (third edition, Hard back)- [Very proud of, though I NEVER touch it, its SO fragile]
The silmarillion (Battered, black paper back)
Unfinished tales (Black paper back)

Second level;

History of Middle Earth Vol 1 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 2 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 3 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 7 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 8 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 10 (paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 11 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 12 (Paper back)
History of Middle Earth Vol 13 index (Paper back)
Finding God in Lord of the rings (Hard back)
Wizards, elves and Hobbits (Hard back)

Third level

Tolkien a Biography, by Humphrey Carpenter (Hard back)
Lord of the rings unabridged read by Rob Ingles (Cassettes)
Tales from the Perilous Realm (Black paper back)
Roverandom (Black paper back)
The Lord of the rings BBC dramatisation
The Hobbit BBC dramatisation
The Complete Tolkien Companion (Hard back)

Forth Level

The Hobbit, GameCube, (Game)
The booklet that came with "The Map of Tolkien's Middle Earth"
The booklet that came with "The Map of Tolkien's Beleriand"
Borad of the Rings (Hard back)
The Soddit (Hard Back)

To be continued...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-01-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #677
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
(EstyLifted from your earlier post)

Bilbo's Last Song - JRRT, illustrated by Pauline Baynes (lovely!)Beautiful - another example (like Smith & Giles) of Baynes' work enhancing Tolkien's)

a book of 20 LotR postcards, with pictures by various artists ( ARRGH! I have this too, & forgot to add it - the first card, Bilbo's Great adventure, is one of my favourite Tolkien illustrations)

The Soddit (Hobbit parody) - A.R.R.R. Roberts (funny)

The Hobbit Companion - David Day (I'm not a big Day fan, but this is a cute, illustrated little volume)

Tolkien: Man and Myth - Joseph Pearce (I've started reading this and am really enjoying it) Certainly one of the better bigraphies!

Tolkien and the Great War - John Garth (the best biog after Carpenter - & if it was the first of a multi vol biography of Tolkien we'd be truly blessed. This book transformed my understanding of Tolkien.

The Real Middle Earth - Brian Bates (Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages)- You'll have to let me know whether this one is any good, as I've been considering buying it.

Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon - Brian Rosebury - this one, along with Shippey's Author of the Century is a central book on Tolkien. Brilliant!

Tolkien's Art - Jane Chance. OK- ish. Iread it about 2 years ago & nothing has really stuck in my mind

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien - essays from TORn authors - a curate's egg - very good in parts, but betrays its origins as a bunch of unrelated essays.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #678
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks! It's always interesting to hear what others think of books I'm reading (or planning to). Right now I'm getting to know the song cycle "The Road Goes Ever On" - I noticed that it's on your list of books, davem. I'm curious, as it's a style not necessarily immediately accessible for everyone - do you like the songs?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #679
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Ok, here g)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
Is this the BBC Omnibus documentary which was broadcast some years ago? This was an excellent documentary. I also have a taped edition of The South Bank Show on Tolkien which was well worth seeing.
No, though I have both those documentaries as well. Its a 110 minute video film, narrated by Judy Dench, including in depth interviews with, among others, Christopher (incredible stuff!!!!), Priscilla & John Tolkien, Tom Shippey, Verlyn Flieger & Rayner Unwin - no longer available as far as I know.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297196/. Tolkien Society did have some stocks, but I think they're out now.
Esty I do like the Road goes Ever On - not exactly my kind of music, but it has strong associations with Tolkien. I especially like Galadriel's Lament, which Tolkien sings on the Audio collection.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #680
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
...yowza, davem!
That would sum up my sentiment, I believe....