The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth LIV: The Council of Evil- Admin Thread

The Fourth Age of Middle-Earth

All was well with the Reunited Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor and the Kingdom of Rohan. Sauron, that scourge of the earth was vanquished, various minor uprisings in Rhun and Harad were crushed or pacified, and the Free Peoples suffered from no internal strife. It appeared that a time of peace and joy was to be enjoyed after the last three ages of warfare, swaying power, and hatred. Dwarves, men, hobbits, and wood elves looked into their envisioned future and saw no flaw in the outlook. Life seemed good to them.

Yet it was not so with the remnants of evil. From their hiding places in the underground, in the mountains and in forgotten lands they watched the children of light with hatred and jealousy. The combined might of all the forces of darkness might have rivaled the Free Peoples, but most of Sauron's remaining servants were undisciplined and disorderly and the direct servants of Morgoth unwilling to quit their rest and endure war once more.

It appeared that no final strike was to be made against the good and beautiful.

But the Council of Evil was formed, great beasts and monsters of darkness banded together; and a shadow grew over the earth...

Players:

Aganzir
Boromir88
Brinniel
Eonwe
Gwathagor
Ilya
Isabellkya
Kath
Meneltarmacil
Nogrod
Sally
Shasta
Strongbow

Last edited by Gollum the Great; 12-21-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Uh... Gollum... I don't know how to break this to you... but if you want to mod a WW game, you have to put your name down on the waiting list.

Last edited by Nerwen; 11-20-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
As far as I can see, Gollum is next in line for modding.

You should have waited til the present game is over, though...
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, my mistake. Sorry, Gollum. I just assumed you hadn't been around long enough.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
You should have waited til the present game is over, though...
Perhaps you're right, but wanted to get the thread up and not worry about it later. I can wait for the players before I start.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Perhaps you're right, but wanted to get the thread up and not worry about it later. I can wait for the players before I start.
That's indeed quite a decent idea - and not unheard of or not done before... I think you can have a "beginning discussion" and enlistment to your game going on quite well even if the previous game is underway.

But then it would actually have to concern the nature of the game and such things. Posting only a teaser will not get all the people interested. Some people just love experimental games and others love the basic-ones. Giving some information of this might affect who would be interested in joining.

Also some mods are a bit more authoritative while others call for suggestions about what kind of a game the possible players would like to play. This thread could be just the place for you to tell us your stance on these issues and get some discussion going on.

Though it sure would be polite to wait with the starting of the game until the previous game has finished so that people from that game might join yours and maybe have a day or two to just comment and laugh about the incidents of that one before engaging to a new one.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But then it would actually have to concern the nature of the game and such things. Posting only a teaser will not get all the people interested. Some people just love experimental games and others love the basic-ones. Giving some information of this might affect who would be interested in joining.

Also some mods are a bit more authoritative while others call for suggestions about what kind of a game the possible players would like to play. This thread could be just the place for you to tell us your stance on these issues and get some discussion going on.
Being a newbie mod I'm not exactly sure what is meant by basic and experimental, but I think this game will lean toward being ordinary with couple of twists. Votes will probably be non-retractable and ties for lynching will result in the first chosen to be killed.

I welcome suggestions but doubt if I will use many.

Thanks for the advice Nogrod.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think the main difference with basic and experimental games is, which roles there are; basic games are games with a team of three or four wolves (depending on the number of players) and a seer, maybe a ranger and a hunter as gifted roles as well, whereas experimental games might have pretty much anything (eg. Di's game was rather experimental). I recommend skimming through some old games and admin threads - they might give you both help and ideas.

I'd prefer a very basic game myself but I'm alright also with a bit more experimental game. However, if you are going to include some twists of your own, I'd really prefer them to be public information because if there's something I can't stand, it's rule discussion in the game.

Anyway do you have any idea what would be the deadline?

Oh and you can sign me up. I won't have much time to play next spring so I want to do it now as much as I can.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I'd prefer a very basic game myself but I'm alright also with a bit more experimental game. However, if you are going to include some twists of your own, I'd really prefer them to be public information because if there's something I can't stand, it's rule discussion in the game.

Anyway do you have any idea what would be the deadline?
I think the deadline will be about 5 PM EST. The twists I am still thinking about, and I'm not sure yet as to what I will do, but when I've decided I will let them out (unless they are intended to be kept secret).

I imagine I will start the Monday following Fea's game, but a change could readily be made if a player(s) require another time.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
As you already know, Gollum, I'm eager for Tol-in-Gaurhoth.

Consider this an official notice of signing up.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I'm eager for Tol-in-Gaurhoth.
The right spirit.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
If you intend to start on the ... is it the 19th? If so you might find that you need to have a break over Christmas because people will obviously be very busy/away etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
If you intend to start on the ... is it the 19th? If so you might find that you need to have a break over Christmas because people will obviously be very busy/away etc.
In the game that was running last Christmas, we had a 48-hour first day and night during the Christmas period, I think, and switched back to 24 hours then. That might work also here.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
Strongbow
Wight

Quote:
I imagine I will start the Monday following Fea's game, but a change could readily be made if a player(s) require another time.
So will we be starting this Monday, December 15th, or has this been redacted/revised?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
So will we be starting this Monday, December 15th, or has this been redacted/revised?
It depends on when enough players have signed up. At present we have too few players to begin, I hope more arrive shortly.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #16
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

So who have actually signed up? Just Strongbow and me?

If players don't start to appear soon you could send a few invitations.

Also, what about the roles and such?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Count me in.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'll play as well.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Welcome Nerwen and Shasta (we'll need your powers of clairvoyance to see us through this time!)

Quote:
Also, what about the roles and such?
Ok, this should be something like what will happen:

x ordos
1 Seer
1 Guardian or Hunter
2 Werewolves
1 Modified Werebear

You ought to get the general idea of what roles there are (especially the wolves and bear) from the opening scene once you read it.

And one other thing. I thought out what various races the players will assume, but do you fellows think I should assign them in the prologue, or post them here and have you choose? I suppose that in the case of the former alternative you could PM requests. The nature of the species will probably have a bearing on the story.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
Strongbow
Wight

Post the roles up, and let us PM you choices, methinks.

Just a newbie's $.02.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I will play.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would like to play, please.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'd like to be in as well.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #24
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Count me in as well.

nb. Gollum you should make a list of players in thus far and possibly edit that list into your first post or something so that it's easy to check the situation - and then keep on upgrading it as the number of players grows.

If I counted it right we have now 8 players. So Monday might be a wee bit optimistic starting date...
Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

I thought of the list just a few hours ago but didn't get to it. It'll be up on the first post shortly...

And about the starting date. What would work best for you guys? I see that Monday looks a bit early, but would a week from then be ok?

Also, welcome Nog, Gwath, Ilya, Isabellkya.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #26
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I've been away for so long that it's about time I joined up. Count me in.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Well, I've been away for so long that it's about time I joined up. Count me in.
Good to see you Menel! It's been a long time indeed!

I'll promise not to suggest lynching you on Day1 this time - and I will even speak on behalf of you if someone gets that unheard-of bad idea...
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If you don't plan to start the game until the 22nd, I might consider joining. An extra week will give me a breather from the last game (as well as from RL stress), which has left me exhausted. And I definitely wouldn't join a game before the 19th, as I promised myself not to be part of another WW game until I've returned home for the holidays..

Though a question I don't think has been answered yet: Will this game be running during Christmas, or will there be a break?

Anyways, you can put me down with a question mark for now. It's a probably, but I'm not sure just yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #29
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Put me down- definately.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #30
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Glad to see you Brinn (?), Eonwe, and Meneltarmacil. I especially look forward to watching you, Menel, as I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing (or modding) with you, but I recollect something of your style from reading The Fellowship of Saruman and being fascinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
If you don't plan to start the game until the 22nd, I might consider joining. An extra week will give me a breather from the last game (as well as from RL stress), which has left me exhausted. And I definitely wouldn't join a game before the 19th, as I promised myself not to be part of another WW game until I've returned home for the holidays..

Though a question I don't think has been answered yet: Will this game be running during Christmas, or will there be a break?

Anyways, you can put me down with a question mark for now. It's a probably, but I'm not sure just yet.
At this point it seems improbable that the game will begin any sooner that Dec. 22. Only if several players start clamoring to begin quickly could the date be pulled forward.

As for a Christmas break, I vote that we pause for 24 or even 48 hours, but this point should I think be left to all participating to decide on.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
As for a Christmas break, I vote that we pause for 24 or even 48 hours, but this point should I think be left to all participating to decide on.
The thing is, Christmas is celebrated on different days in different places. We in Finland have it mainly on the 24th while most of you others celebrate it on the 25th. Therefore I think it would be best to have a 48-hour-day and/or night around Christmas: everyone could pop in every now and then to play when it best suits them.

Do you have any specific number of players you'd like to have before starting?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #32
Strongbow
Wight

Quote:
Therefore I think it would be best to have a 48-hour-day and/or night around Christmas: everyone could pop in every now and then to play when it best suits them.
I agree with this. I am also fine with the starting date being the 22nd.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #33
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I do agree both with the Christmas going for 48 hours Day & Night and starting on 22nd - or possibly 21st if it's the Night phase that starts the game...

Quote:
Do you have any specific number of players you'd like to have before starting?
I think we have played one game with something like 11 players but that was a bit too little - although it was quite an amusing game so long as it lasted. 14-16 has been the standard number for a long time and with that sized village you can make three wolves and a full house of goodie-specials (three) and still it makes almost 2/3 of the players normal innocents. That has been quite a good working ratio thus far to my knowledge.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #34
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

I think I need approximately 15 players. 14 or even as high as 17 would work.

Now that I think of it, I don't believe I ever found a definition of a Werebear. I understand that his main purpose is survival, but are any other chief characteristics?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #35
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
And one other thing. I thought out what various races the players will assume, but do you fellows think I should assign them in the prologue, or post them here and have you choose? I suppose that in the case of the former alternative you could PM requests. The nature of the species will probably have a bearing on the story.
This question needs to be answered. So far I have a grand total of 1 replies and the 10 other present players have not (yet) spoken. Please do so soon.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #36
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think posting them in the thread and letting us decide would be a good idea.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I want another go, just as long as you grant me the opportunity to take out Menel on Day 1. Oh, hi Menel, long time no see.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #38
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's nice to be back. And yes, I remember the Werewolf Wars with Boromir88 quite well. I'm looking forward to the game.

*sharpens sword*
Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #39
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I agree that posting them here sounds good.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #40
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would like to play if there's still room? I need an excuse to escape various family members.