The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Media Watch

Simon Cowell is the karaoke Sauron

What is fun about this is that the author clearly knows her Tolkien very well...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It continues to be funny, even after she stops comparing him to Sauron.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Using one fantasy to deconstruct another! Interesting how the Tolkien side holds up well while the other one . . .

Also, great thread title, Lalaith. It will be fun to see what other links and references to Tolkien in the media show up here.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Another one for you, this time off the telly...the political satire "The Thick of It" - absolutely sublime episode tonight, not least for this exchange:
Phil Smith (moronic Conservative policy adviser): We could be friends...me, Aragorn, the true king, you Boromir, your horn is broken and will be blown no more...
Olly Reeder (his obnoxious Labour counterpart): This inability to talk without using Lord of the Rings metaphors is one of the very many reasons we could *never* be friends.

The whole thing is here. Please don't watch if you're not interested in politics and/or don't approve of very full-on swearing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p270j
Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
... absolutely sublime episode tonight
Aye, ain't that the truth. And you beat me to posting the reference here. Is Armando Ianucci a fan, I wonder?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Bit late but...

I've been meaning to post a clip from this for a while. The whole episode is LotR related but these are the most "pure" moments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOZzvpqO94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxF6sfyS1k
Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well that is a vast improvement....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think I love her and not just for the usual usurpation reasons

I mean, Medusa was fabled to be ecstatically beautiful, right?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Ang... dear.. surely their clothes were chosen in spite and malice by their mother becasue she didn't get invited? Best you can say for Beatrice is that Eugenie looked worse. If there is anything worse than wearing an outfit the coulour of surgical stockings and having an alleged hat stapled to your forehead it is being turned into a sofa.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
I think I love her and not just for the usual usurpation reasons
I think I love the fact that you usually love girls for "usurpation reasons"...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh yes, Lalaith, I shall now think of him as Grimoaldo, Duca di Benevento, as well as il Lupo Fenriso.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh Ang... dear.. surely their clothes were chosen in spite and malice by their mother becasue she didn't get invited? Best you can say for Beatrice is that Eugenie looked worse. If there is anything worse than wearing an outfit the coulour of surgical stockings and having an alleged hat stapled to your forehead it is being turned into a sofa.
I fully endorse all of this. Which is WHY I love her. Filial pride or what??

Lalaith: I would never dare usurp you, you will always be my supreme Non-Wolf-Luvvah

edit: qualification: I reckon Bea and Eug chose their eccentric costumes themselves out of loyalty, not that they had them foisted upon them by sadist matriarch
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hopeless case clearly. I shall give you a looking-glass though as a wedding present....

Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Not quite sure where to put this bit of news, but today ex-PM Tony Blair revealed LotR as one of his Desert Island books.
"It has its share of wizards who become collaborators, good people who fall from grace, and those who are in some sense redeemed. For the scale and majesty of the invention, the details of the imaginary world created by Tolkien and the rich and deep themes of good and evil, nothing compares to it."

Full story here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ks?INTCMP=SRCH
Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The quote was well said!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*sits back and waits for Ang or even old Saucie to leap on this like a duck on a June bug*
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #18
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Charles Moore in today's Telegraph:
"If News International fails to get control of BSkyB, what sorcery can Mr Murdoch employ now? He finds himself in the position of Saruman in The Lord of the Rings. He has been exposed, and he is losing the battle for Middle Earth – or rather, Middle England. "
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

And yet another political Middle-Earth analogy:
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...lkien-scholars
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
White-Hand You're wrong, Mr. President!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011...erview_lo.html

I'm not really sure where to put this, so I just put it here. It's not really political, but...

Quote:
What Obama read as a youth: "I think I was getting into, like The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and stuff like that. And I confess that I did read comic books as well, like Spiderman was one of my favorites. And then I read what I was assigned at school.
....But by the time maybe I was Malia's age, I was starting to read more serious books like, To Kill a Mockingbird, or some of the things that I see her reading now that made you think a little bit more. They weren't just kind of adventure stories, but they were also stories that taught me about social problems and taught me about how people interact with each other, and how some people are kind and some people are cruel. And history sweeps them along, and people have a lot of challenges in their lives.
I felt more than a bit indignant when LOTR was called "just kind of adventure story". It might not have been as "useful" to Obama the polititian as To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's certainly more than an adventure story.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Personally, I'd put LOTR on par with, or above, any of the so-called "serious" novels like Mockingbird.

If only the political sorts would take the lessons from LOTR to heart the world might be a better place, or at least a more pleasant one.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
If only the political sorts would take the lessons from LOTR to heart the world might be a better place, or at least a more pleasant one.
Professor@Uni: Now students, since you're all going to be polititians in the years to come, the first thing that I have to warn you about is one dreadfully tricky political situation: we call it the Saruman's Noose.

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more.

I think what puts LOTR below Mockingbird in a polititian's eyes is that LOTR is a "long ago" story, with hardly any practical use today. And it's fantasy. "More serious novels" are probably those that are more relevant to today's life.

But I still strongly protest against classifying it as "just an adventure book".
Old 09-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yet another news article talking about Tolkien...

This one is much nicer. Although it basically doesn't say anything, it's a Tolkienite's story... I particularly loved these bits:

Quote:
Despite the success of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings movies, despite the buzz about his upcoming adaptation of The Hobbit, I don’t think kids and teens today are nearly as excited by Tolkien as we were back in my day. They have so many more literary options – and Harry Potter is an easier, faster, more exciting read, with less poetry and a far higher death count.
-made me laugh, though it's the sad truth.

Quote:
But, as I joked with the guys here, I didn’t end up as Arwen, married to Aragorn. I grew up to be Rose Cotton, married to Sam Gamgee
-awwww.

Quote:
Love like a hobbit.
- <3

Quote:
And may the hair on your toes grow ever longer.
-Hurray for Tolkiendom!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hobbit pictures

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/gall...en-in-pictures

Don't usually read the Grauniad but someone on Mustardland gave me the link for this.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh and I am just now watching "Stephen Fry's Planet Word" an interview by Fry with Jackson on Tolkien whcih should be on the BBC i-player this week.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just a heads up, there seems to be quite a lot in the geek press at the moment about Tolkien, spearheading an upsurge in interest in fantasy in general.

Last month's SFX had Martin Freeman on the cover and a decent couple of articles about the upcoming Hobbit film, and on which of Tolkien's other stories may or may not make good viewing if adapted.

There's a Fantasy Special edition of SFX out this week, which also promises 'everything you need to know about the Hobbit' (and lots of GRRM things). SFX Specials are generally very good, so it might be tempting...

And the latest issue of Sci-Fi Now features The Hobbit in this month's bookclub section, with a good article which touches on the issue of canonicity of all things!

I'm sure there will be even more in newsagents over the coming months.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Secret of Gandalf's Success

So this is how he accomplished his mission. Logic!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #28
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

The Real One Ring?

An interesting article.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #29
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

The Fall of An Eagle

At least Gandalf's power saved the other!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Just had acquestion on the quiz show Perfection asking if Isengard were the capital of Macedonia.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Just had acquestion on the quiz show Perfection asking if Isengard were the capital of Macedonia.
Pfft. Everyone knows it's the capital of Iceland.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #32
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Unleash your inner Sam Gamgee with these "Shire-worthy Recipes".
Old 08-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

A very appropriate association with the Dark Lord.
Indeed, the evil seed fomented by him and his master continues to flourish.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

For those who can get BBC I player "Sleuths, Spies and Sorcerers - Andrew Marr's Paperback Heroes" may be worth a look. Episode 2 on fantasy fiction features Tolkien.. nothing new perhaps but some nice archive footage and an amusing 90 second summary of the features of the genre illustrated by the Hobbit films and the wry comment that Bilbo may be wondering how they stretched such a short novel over so long a film.

Did make the point that all the details had to be right in fantasy because you were already suspending so much disbelief.

The first episode was also good if you happen to share my interest in detective fiction.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #35
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Killing Hobbits?

This story isn't really anything new. To me the takeaway is that philologist Tolkien's "nonsense" word hobbit has indeed entered the popular lexicon in exactly the manner he discussed in his letters.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Thanks for the reference

Thanks for the reference to the episode on fantasy in 'Sleuths, Spies and Sorcerers - Andrew Marr's Paperback Heroes', Mithalwen. I watched it when it was first broadcast, and enjoyed his attempt to give an overview of that genre.

There was one reference I appreciated, having thought of it for a while myself. Marr speculated that Tolkien's references to food in LotR might have been a reaction against the food rationing then in force, and which only ended the year that book first appeared.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

'The Hobbit' At Sea!

I thought this was neat. Not the usual audience one might expect for Tolkien!
Old 04-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #38
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

This one is probably for UK Downers: in long-running BBC Radio 4 soap opera The Archers, the villagers are running a Lent Appeal where they have to pay a fine if they are negative about something. Linda Snell has agreed to read her husband's favorite book, the Silmarillion, and then pays £20 into the fund for the privilege of complaining about how awful it is, which she then does, for about five minutes solid. Quite funny if you are familiar with the characters involved:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wvpbr
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #39
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

This isn't Tolkien, per se, but all the same, it's a nice feeling to be reminded of LOTR while eating breakfast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (39.1 KB, 799 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
This isn't Tolkien, per se, but all the same, it's a nice feeling to be reminded of LOTR while eating breakfast.
Indeed. Little reminders or hints like that make me happy. Basically any nerdy reference makes me happy. Even if it wasn't meant as a reference.