The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #401
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Is Smaug really more clever than Glaurung? After all, he manages to let slip to a teensy Hobbit where his vulnerable part is. Would Glaurung have done that?
I always had the impression that Smaug was unaware of the weak spot in his breast.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #402
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Is Smaug really more clever than Glaurung? After all, he manages to let slip to a teensy Hobbit where his vulnerable part is. Would Glaurung have done that?
Smaug only had one weak spot, Glaurung nearly got killed by a bunch of dwarves and was stabbed in the belly. Plus, Glaurung with his entire horde could not defeat an army of dwarves, while Smaug single handedly destroyed an entire colony of dwarves. Evil Smaug (but in here I guess that's a good thing)!

++Smaug
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #403
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Smaug was fiery, tempestous, and flying, and has a fantastic voice. He makes red and green flames and is golden, which makes a lovely sight. He lives close to Esgaroth, which is a very lovely place. (Thus, he obviously has good taste.) Besides, he was killed by one of the coolest Men in Middle-Earth.

Glaurung is a stupid and lazy worm who cannot fly and gets stabbed by Túrin, who is not of the most adorable characters in Middle-Earth.

++Smaug
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #404
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Eye

On the other hand Galurung was killed by the greatest mannish,
and possibly also (I think Tolkien said so) elvish warrior in
Middle-earth history while Smaug was taken out by a
provincial Home Guardish fellow using a lucky arrow.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #405
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Hey, Boromir showed us what arrows can do, too. He was still a great hero.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #406
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Smaug only had one weak spot, Glaurung nearly got killed by a bunch of dwarves and was stabbed in the belly. Plus, Glaurung with his entire horde could not defeat an army of dwarves, while Smaug single handedly destroyed an entire colony of dwarves.
The Lonely Mountain was one mountain inhabited by dwarves.

Gondolin was a city chosen especially for protection by Ulmo, and guarded by Manwe's own eagles. The place was basically designed to be a fort. And this isn't mentioning the fact that there were great warriors there who could kill balrogs.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #407
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Yes, but isn't that even cooler for Smaug? The coolest thing was that this Home Guardish fellow was a King.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #408
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I always had the impression that Smaug was unaware of the weak spot in his breast.
That's a weakness in itself, to be unaware of a weak spot, or in the case of Smaug, to be so arrogantly self-assured that one would assume no weak spots exist.

Though in terms of 'badness', that kind of arrogance, despite being a failing, does add a certain cachet
Old 03-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #409
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

This is a tough one.

Smaug is one of my favorite characters. His chatter with Bilbo is priceless.

But Glaurung did more damage I believe (played a roll in a couple big battles and overthrew Nargothrond). And he was also killed in a cooler way, by a much greater slayer.

And the weapons used- you have a lucky arrow versus the sword destined to slay Morgoth himself.

*squirms*

++Glaurung

But really I'd be happy with either one winning.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #410
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Smaug
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #411
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Glaurung

I'll go old school on this one. Glaurung's adversaries were far tougher than Smaug's. Obviously the 1st Age Dwarves did not run, while the 3rd Age Dwarves shrieked and scattered like wee li'l girls.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #412
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

+ + Glaurung

He seems to be more inspiration from the
Professor's reading of Sigurd slaying
Fafnir. (although Smaug did
have a great dragon hoard).

Voting so far
Smaug-4
Glaurung-3
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #413
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaurung
Evil have been all thy ways, son of Húrin. Thankless fosterling, outlaw, slayer of thy friend, thief of love, usurper of Nargothrond, captain foolhardy, and deserter of thy kin. As thralls thy mother and thy sister live in Dor-lómin, in misery and want. Thou art arrayed as a prince, but they go in rags; and for thee they yearn, but thou carest not for that. Glad may thy father be to learn that he hath such a son; as learn he shall.
Something about a big bad dragon using a "guilt trip" against his foe amuses me - and so:

++Glaurung

Plus:
Quote:
Hail, Nienor, daughter of Húrin. We meet again ere the end. I give thee joy that thou hast found thy brother at last. And now thou shalt know him: a stabber in the dark, treacherous to foes, faithless to friends, and a curse unto his kin, Túrin son of Húrin! But the worst of all his deeds thou shalt feel in thyself.
That is just so evil.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #414
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rikae's case is a good one here - those really are evil words!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #415
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I voted for him before and I'm voting for him now.

++Glaurung
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #416
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Smaug is a badass, but Glaurung is his daddy nonetheless.

++Glaurung
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #417
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
The Lonely Mountain was one mountain inhabited by dwarves.
Yes, the greatest of the Dwarven holds, after Khazad-dum fell into darkness. Also Smaug drove them out single handedly, I think that makes him greater. How should I put it... more independent than Glaurung.

Quote:
I'll go old school on this one. Glaurung's adversaries were far tougher than Smaug's. Obviously the 1st Age Dwarves did not run, while the 3rd Age Dwarves shrieked and scattered like wee li'l girls.
Or was Glaurung obviously weaker than Smaug? Glaurung is worm that can only wriggle around and spout fire against his foes. Smaug can actually fly! Glaurung is only half a dragon.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #418
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Or was Glaurung obviously weaker than Smaug? Glaurung is worm that can only wriggle around and spout fire against his foes. Smaug can actually fly! Glaurung is only half a dragon.
And yet caused much more damage. Doesn't that make him even more amazing?

And his "playing" with the children of Hurin makes him much more evil. Smaug just kills (yes, there was that bit where he was thinking of picking of the Lake men if I recall correctly, but he failed). Glaurung makes people suffer for his own pleasure. Doesn't that make him more evil?

And he has hypnotic powers.

++Glaurung
Old 03-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #419
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
And his "playing" with the children of Hurin makes him much more evil. Smaug just kills (yes, there was that bit where he was thinking of picking of the Lake men if I recall correctly, but he failed). Glaurung makes people suffer for his own pleasure. Doesn't that make him more evil?
Perhaps, but it doesn't make him very smart. And smart counts.

Allow me to again point out that Glaurung's making people suffer for his own pleasure was his own undoing. His involuted, Ernst Stavro Bloefeld scheme left alive the man who killed him.

So he's not as smart as he thinks he is.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #420
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Go Glaurung go!

Glaurung is the more mythical and awesome as a mere sentiment or feeling the reader has. The name of Glaurung * rings deep into the layers of the unconscious parts of many languages inciting something like a premordial fear and awe; it calls forwards an ur-creature you will tremble in front of, whereas Smaug sounds more like a cheap rendering of some slimy or just bare un-nice syllables in English.

*remember to spell Glaurung correctly: like keeping the vowels separate: 'a' as wide as 'u' in "but" and 'u' as narrow as 'u' in "put".

++ Glaurung
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #421
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Ah well, laying all clever arguments aside, they are still dragons and as such I can't make a logical choice. Therefore I'm going with the one who has lived longest in my imagination.

++Smaug

Unlike Nogrod, I prefer his name, too. Smaug, it reminds me of smog...
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #422
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++Smaug

I have read The Hobbit so many times. I have only read LotR once all the way through and have only read bits and pieces of The Sil and such...

I love Smaug. He's iconic. A good ol' fashioned dragon who lived a life of luxury sleeping on a hoard of treasure, and who even enjoyed a good conversation nearly as much as a good meal.

Edit: I also prefer Smaug's name. It's more suited. In hearing Glaurung's name in the past I used to think he was some other balrog with a name or something, for some reason assuming that from the name. Not sure why, but...I don't know, it's definitely not a dragon/wyrm/worm name to me.

"Smog" or pronouncing the "au" in a German-y way, either way it's cool. The monosyllabic name is more ominous.

Last edited by Durelin; 03-12-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #423
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Unlike Nogrod, I prefer his name, too. Smaug, it reminds me of smog...
Exactly my point!

Smaug is not a primordial, mythical, your deepest unconsciousness-tingling terrifying evil you can't quite describe in any way, but more like "smog" or any other everyday thing that can be unsettling or even frightening but is not quite the same thing.

In this case the fact that we know so much about Smaug turns against it as it's clear Smaug can be grasped at some level as to being a petty and greedy monster whereas Glaurung is just some dark thing you can't quite get to grips with and whose name makes you shiver.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #424
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Exactly my point!

Smaug is not a primordial, mythical, your deepest unconsciousness-tingling terrifying evil you can't quite describe in any way, but more like "smog" or any other everyday thing that can be unsettling or even frightening but is not quite the same thing.

In this case the fact that we know so much about Smaug turns against it as it's clear Smaug can be grasped at some level as to being a petty and greedy monster whereas Glaurung is just some dark thing you can't quite get to grips with and whose name makes you shiver.
Ah but smog kills (according to the book Austerity Britain which I was reading recently) - you might think it's just a dark bit of fog, but it's a silent, deadly killer. Smog isn't an everyday thing but a dark and sinister thing that can have you fooled! Tricksy...

And Smaug also sounds better. It's like the expletive of an angry Scot - "Ach! Smaug!"

And reason three - it is also uncannily similar to smug. Which also describes the timorous beastie perfectly.

Facetious reason four - it makes me laugh too as it sounds like something you can buy in IKEA
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #425
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

To date, the Worm of Greed has overcome an early
lead by Smaug the Golden:

Smaug-6
Glaurung-8
Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #426
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
Facetious reason four - it makes me laugh too as it sounds like something you can buy in IKEA
Lol! No, it'd have to be Smaüg or Smäug then. Seems like a good name for a sofa.

And I mean...Glaurung and Gandalf?! Really?!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #427
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Lol! No, it'd have to be Smaüg or Smäug then.

And I mean...Glaurung and Gandalf?! Really?!
Smaüg Side Table, £19.99. Please collect from Aisle 37, Row B, Shelf 17.

Then you get to the warehouse and there are none left so you have to settle for an Ancalagon coffe table instead...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #428
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Let's see...

1. They both have cool names.
2. They both have memorable (and evil) personalities.
3. They're both dragons.

It's almost a coin toss... but I believe I'll vote

++Glaurung.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #429
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Come on! Let's rally for Smaug! Let's give it a great finish! He's cooler! He can fly! He spits red and green flames! He talks to Hobbits!

Smaug! Smaug!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #430
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Come on! Let's rally for Smaug! Let's give it a great finish! He's cooler! He can fly! He spits red and green flames! He talks to Hobbits!
Thank you, Legate! Glaurung's a worm (isn't that a bit disgusting when you think about it) Smaug is a full blooded dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
And yet caused much more damage. Doesn't that make him even more amazing?
In a way. He was obviously bigger than any other dragon; ergo, the key to his success. I don't find it attractive how he's always accompanied by a great army when he goes fighting (except for those two times when he got seriously wounded and killed), dragons should be more independent.

Quote:
Not really, he got killed by toying with his food. I like people, or dragons in this case, who are more straight forward with their work.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #431
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Final results:

Smaug-6 Glaurung-8

Glaurung the Golden wins a hard fought contest
over Smaug the Magnificent .

Glaurung professed a lack of concern over ever
encountering a winner of other Popularity Cups,
saying "I've taunted Turin, I've fought with Turin,
and I can tell you, the Gray Pilgrim is no Turin ."

Btw, if anyone at some future date starts another Popularity
Contest, one interesting one would be women of Middle-earth/
Aman. There are at least 20-24 easily selected fom Middle-earth,
and more if maia and vala are included. Of course, one debatable
classification would be Melian. Would she be included
if maia in general were not?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #432
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The ur-worm wins!

Which is only decent.

Hurray!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #433
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Btw, if anyone at some future date starts another Popularity
Contest, one interesting one would be women of Middle-earth/
Aman. There are at least 20-24 easily selected fom Middle-earth,
and more if maia and vala are included. Of course, one debatable
classification would be Melian. Would she be included
if maia in general were not?
Oh, I have actually been thinking about something similar... before the Popularity Cups there was a rather similar game called "Middle-Earth Survivor" and I always intended to revive the tradition to make a female survivor game but I never managed to do that... But I won't be around to arrange any contests now anyway, so feel free to do that you others.

Thanks for the game, Tuor!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #434
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't have time to run one of these, but how about a Middle Earth Weapons Cup?

Ringil vs Narsil vs Gurthang vs Aiglos vs Grond, etc, etc...

Last edited by Andsigil; 03-15-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #435
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I could call for this "ME feminine popularity cup" with Lommy. But we can only open it at the beginning of April as she will be away before that.

So unless someone of you has a better idea we'll take on with that in about two weeks.

I don't know what it tells about me as a male but I find females a lot more interesting than weapons...

But feel free to take on that or any other idea before that.