Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2002, 07:58 PM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sea was calm and quiet. Everything looked peaceful in the moonlight. The older hobbit and her young charge sat on two barrels looking out to sea.

"Alright," said Child, "Who hurt you? What is in your past that you repay kindness with harsh words? Someone has hurt you badly, for you are thrashing out at those who come across your path in peace."

Daisy looked out at the waves and listened to their sound as they gently lapped against the ship. Then she began to cry. Not the sniffling and fretful tears that she had shown when Pio and Birdland had chastised her, but tears from the very depths of her soul, tears that no young girl should know or understand.

Child was by nature a mother, and she knew what had to be done. There could be no discussion or healing until some of these tears spilled out and took with them the pain that they hid.

Child wrapped Daisy in her arms and drew her head down onto her shoulder. The little body trembled and pressed against her own, clinging to Child as if she was the only safe haven in a very troubled world.

Then the sobs stopped and the little body lay still, still as a swan feather at rest on a silent ocean.

"My mother, my mother," Daisy whispered, "The others did not accept her marriage to my father, because he was different. He loved the Sea, and the winds, and even the storms that blew over the mountains into our village. He looked beyond and saw things that others could not see or understand. Sometimes he even walked in the woods at night and looked for Elves."

"Though, of course," she said sadly, "I don't think he ever found any."

"My mother was raised by her grandparents, and they would not accept my father, Folco Boffin, into our kin. My mother and father had to leave and make their own way in life. And it was a very hard life. Even after he died, they would not help us. My mother finally went away. She gave up trying. She travelled as far as Bree, trying to lose herself in a place where none would know their name."

"And I sweaf to you that, when she died, it was from no mortal illness. For loneliness and tears can kill as swiftly and mercilessly as any disease I know."

Child said nothing. If a Man had said these sad things, she would not have been shocked, but for a hobbit family to do this was simply unheard of. Teasing and comments behind someone's back--Child had herself heard these because of her strange interests as a girl. But to reject a grandaughter, to chase her out of a house.....a hobbit family did not do that.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]