The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #41
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

At least people can relate to your obsession. Do you know how hard it is to fangirl Denethor? People give you so much junk for it.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:07 PM   #42
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
White Tree Have no fear, Arda's HERE!

yeah. I guess so. It really ticked me off when boromir's hair in the movie was light red instead of black... bad. don't mess with the hair. Another thing that made me mad was when they didn't explain WHY denethor was mad. my brother kept pestering me why. (He's only read the first and second book...)

But... being resouceful as a am, Ka sent him here... as well as everyone else who asks me questions about book vs. movie knowledge...

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/ click or tell other to click on movie goer's guide. tell them they MUST read it all.or they won't understand.

hope you guys like (Especially you Morgul Q)
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:47 AM   #43
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*is enjoying herself far too much for comfort but is rather put out that there is no mention of Tinfang Gelion*
Old 11-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #44
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Queen
At least people can relate to your obsession. Do you know how hard it is to fangirl Denethor? People give you so much junk for it. (my bolding)
It was inevitable, given the nature of English. A new verb arises.

And to answer your question, just ask Meela.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 PM   #45
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

I hate it when people (basicly my friends) read the first 5 pages and get bored assuming that the rest of the book will be about hobbits.

OR

They refuse to read it because apparently its cliched which therefore means the book is unorigianl crap.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #46
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aule
I hate it when people (basicly my friends) read the first 5 pages and get bored assuming that the rest of the book will be about hobbits.

OR

They refuse to read it because apparently its cliched which therefore means the book is unorigianl crap.
Unfortunately, that is all too true. I'm very glad I don't go to public school, or I think I'd probably end up strangling someone for that reason. Yet another advantage of homeschooling: All violence-producing anger must be taken out on pillows. (Or the unfortunate, not-so-innocent sibling... <evil laugh>)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #47
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
And to answer your question, just ask Meela
Uh...no thanks. Last time we had a PM convo we ended up in an all out war over the pen I got off John Noble.

Yeah...
Old 11-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #48
Durfuiniel
Pile O'Bones

Durfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durfuiniel
I read your discusion with interest and I can tell you, in germany it's exactly the same
But I think worse than this people who know nothing and ask stupid questions all the time are the Legolas-fan-Teeniegirls.
If you see some girlies walking around in school giggling and talking about sweeeeeeeet legolas ("Leggy"), who looks SO good walking around killing some orcs. ("Oh he's so sweet! And he's an elf, that's cool!"
"What's so special about elves?"
"They're all so handsome and they look so sexy killing orcs!"
*laugh*

It's terrible. And if you ask'em something they try to answer but the only thing they know is that Frodo has so sweet blue eyes, Legolas is very sexy, Aragorn looks good too.

"What do you think? Who's important to the fellowship?"
"Legolas, for sure. He's such a cool elf"

(Well, I never saw a "cool" elf and I'm sure none of them will ever think about the really important persons... just because they don't look like teeny-idols)

But the funniest question I ever heard:
3. movie when the orcs tried to push in minas tirith gate with grond (is it called grond in english, too???)

"Oh my god! Is Sauron inside this [grond]??"
Durfuiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #49
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Yeah, it's Grond in Engilsh. Names are all the same, as far as I know.

Anyway, it's kind of good to hear that there are fangirl-teenieboppers everywhere. Not that that's a very good thing.... They get on my nerves. I'm glad I'm not around them very often. One of my friends is a "Leggy" fangirl, but she's also very knowledgeable about everything else to do with LotR. So I deal with her fangirl-ish-ness.

Wow, it feels good to vent my frustrations!

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 11-22-2004 at 07:22 AM.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #50
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Well, I never saw a "cool" elf and I'm sure none of them will ever think about the really important persons... just because they don't look like teeny-idols
I saw a cool elf once. It was when I was aboot twelve and reading LotR. He was even a prince, and a lovely one at that (his name was Legolas if you haven't figured it out yet). And I fell in love with Legolas. I really did. He was my most favourite member of the Fellowship and the one that was woefully left undeveloped. *bops around in fan-girl furie* I mean what could not be cool about an elf running to fetch the sun?

Quote:
But I think worse than this people who know nothing and ask stupid questions all the time are the Legolas-fan-Teeniegirls.
Yaysers -- I'm a Legolas-fan-teenie bopper (I once even asked why Aragorn wasn't considered half eleven!). Whoo! Let's all celebrate! Whoever would've thunk that a smart person (I am sooooo humble) could be a Leggy-bopper too!

Oh blast, I'm not the only one:

Quote:
One of my friends is a "Leggy" fangirl, but she's also very knowledgeable about everything else to do with LotR. So I deal with her fangirl-ish-ness.
I don't really understand what there is to deal with here. I mean....what is the difference between your fan-girlishness and her fangirl-ishness? *scratches head, perplexed* I honestly see no difference between the two. It's a fair trade isn't it? You deal with their fangirl-ish-ness -- they deal with yours. For examle:

Can you believe that she likes LotR??? I mean, I just don't like it and I have to hear on and on about "how great the series is" and how it "rocks" and how it was just the best thing ever made." I mean what is so great about nine people travelling to who knows where...Etc etc etc.

Now, we all know they're crazy (I mean who couldn't like LotR -- loads of people) But seriously, what girl can resist a hot guy in a stupid movie?

Ah, but I forget. We're superior. Because we like LotR. Because we like the story and not the people (which is odd because the people make the story).

Note: All my post is to be read in a playful manner except for my point.

Thought I must say that Durfuiniel's examples are pathetic. Pathetic.

Edit: It has come to my attention that I appeared to be singling you out, Durfuiniel. That, indeed, was not my intent. I do agree that girls who act like the examples you gave are annoying and pathetic and silly...

To be even more specific, I was referring to the people who said the examples (sexy killing orcs etc)...not you or your post.

Welcome to the Downs. It was not my intention to offend or to single you out.

Last edited by Imladris; 11-21-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #51
Durfuiniel
Pile O'Bones

Durfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durfuiniel
Oh well now my stupid computer erased all my post
So again in a shorter form 'cause I have to go(volleyball)
I have no problem with girls who love legolas and lotr , I think he looks very good, tooand I have no problem with girls loving legolas and having no idea of lotr either. But I DO have aproblem with girls loving legolas and thinking they know everything about LotR just because they know the eyecolor of orlando bloom
But I'm sure your none of these and I hope it's clearer now how I meant my post (it's all my english teachers fault*smile*).... and I understand your point!
Thanks for the nice welcome, everybody
Durfuiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #52
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
I have no problem at all with people who put in the effort, read the book, and then come ask me questions about it. Actually it's flattering because it makes me the acknowledged Tolkien expert in our circle, and who could say no to that? But I agree with all those who have said that the most annoying thing is the people who have refused to read the book for whatever reason and then either ask stupid questions or pass uninformed judgment. I can even deal with somebody who says Tolkien is a bad writer (although that comes very close to crossing the fine line between opinion and heresy for me) as long as they've read the book and are making an informed remark. If you aren't informed about what you're talking about, it's likely best to keep your mouth shut.

As for the Legolas-loving fangirls, well, I deal with them. Sometimes I'll even play along with them for the fun of it (and the sheer pleasure of talking LotR with people who actually care). I don't have a problem with them as a general rule; even I have to admit that, as far as the movies are concerned, he was pretty attractive. But (as an ardent fan of the books) I also feel like my admiration for his good looks and showy orc-killing prowess is tempered by the knowledge that he doesn't really do anything hugely significant for the story that couldn't have been done by some other random elf. Fangirls, at least as far as I've seen, seem less than interested in being educated on the relative merits of other characters in comparison to Legolas, and that's fine with me. Live and let live; I have other friends with whom I can discuss other characters seriously.

Quote:
"What do you think? Who's important to the fellowship?"
"Legolas, for sure. He's such a cool elf"

(Well, I never saw a "cool" elf and I'm sure none of them will ever think about the really important persons... just because they don't look like teeny-idols)
It's sad, but so true. I think maybe that's one disadvantage of the movies - there are people who miss the point completely because they're too caught up in their Orlando Bloom obsessions. Not that I have anything against Orlando Bloom, but a little balance is a good thing.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #53
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Has anyone else ever been asked questions that lead to more questions?

Example:

"Who made the other Rings?"

"Celebrimbor. He was the grandson of Feanor and Lord of Eregion at the time of making them. He was eventually killed by Sauron and his mangled bdy was used as a banner."

"Oh...who's Feanor?"

I'm not even going to put in that discussion, but the girl I was speaking to has a habit of asking the questions that need the most explaining...which is not good if you're trying to hold 3 other conversations at the same time. Her next question was:

"What are the Silmarils?"

Followed by:

"Why are they so special?"

*groans*
Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #54
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Oh, dear. Morgy, I pity you. Very much. I'm quite glad I'm not in your shoes. I'd end up killing somebody. Grrr.... <gives everyone she doesn't like the "death stare">
Old 11-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #55
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

You know what's worse? The girl who was asking the questions is telling everyone that I'm stuck-up and snooty because I was reluctant to explain what the Silmarils were...

*sighs*
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #56
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
The girl who was asking the questions is telling everyone that I'm stuck-up and snooty because I was reluctant to explain what the Silmarils were...
Er - isn't it a good thing that she showed sufficient interest to ask those questions?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #57
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
You know what's worse? The girl who was asking the questions is telling everyone that I'm stuck-up and snooty because I was reluctant to explain what the Silmarils were...
Well, it's a long explanation! Plus, my reading of the Silmarillion is not proving substantial enough..... (i.e. I read a tiny bit occasionally..... maybe I'll get to the end sometime next winter....)
Old 11-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #58
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
Er - isn't it a good thing that she showed sufficient interest to ask those questions?
Yes, the only problem is she doesn't understand what I'm saying to her. She's only seen Fellowship and hasn't read any of the books. This brings on awkward questions which are near impossible to explain to a person who has next to no experience of LotR.

"Why didn't Gandalf kill the Bad Guy? He's a wizard, right?"

"Who's Elrond again?" Which leads to: "Earendil?"

'Tis very frustrating. She's getting very annoyed at me because my current response is "Go read the Book. JRRT can explain it far better than I ever could."

*sighs*
Old 11-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #59
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

My absolute favorite/ least favorite question is:

What?? There are books??

It gets me every time. I have actually had people ask me this and it brings tears of laughter to my eyes.

I've found that the best way to deal with people asking you questions like "what are the silmarils?" is to give a 40 minute lecture of the entire silmarillion. They usually just look interested for about 5 seconds then they nod their heads and try to look interested and eventually slide into a stupor and never ever ever talk to you about LOTR again. works like a charm.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #60
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*grins* When the First shot of Eowyn in the TTT Trailer was shown on the screen someone was heard to exclaim: "OMG! Arwen's gone blonde!!"