The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #41
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

i read the books first, as soon as i heard the first rumours that the films were about to be made. and i must say: even though pJackson has done a great job, he'll never be able to show the mysterious and yet so realistic atmosphere that Tolkien created.

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:13 PM   #42
Nuinheledien

Sting

I read The Hobbit when i was little i never got around to reading LOTR. I watched the film and loved it, but i wanted to know more about who all the characters were, where they were from, so i though, "Hey, il read the book". I read it in about 3 weeks, i never out it down, and i fell in love with it.
Im now reading the Silmarillion, but its really hard...but im trying. Its interesting though!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #43
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I didn't really know about LOTR until FOTR came out and I went and saw it. Then I bought the LOTR trilogy books and the hobbit and read them all in about a week. So, I knew what was going to happen in TTT and that's why I was a little disappointed. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #44
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Saw the movies first and right after went and bought the books.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #45
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
I saw FotR Before I read it, Read TTT, And read RotK.
________
IPAD ACCESSORIES

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #46
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw The Fellowship of the Ring first, then I bought the trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and borrowed the Unfinished Tales. I read all of them, but the Silmarillion, before The Two Towers came in theaters.
I normally like to watch the movie before reading the book but in this situation I HAD to read the books.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:50 PM   #47
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My mom was totally crazy about LOTR so i read the hobbit when I was 8 and I read Lotr when I was ten,at that time I couldn't read english yet so i read it in Dutch then when I was 11 or 12 I read it in English. Then i read it before the 1st movie came out. Next year I saw the TTT first and then I re-read LOTR. Now I decided to read the book once a year which is what many people who are totally crazy about LOTR do.
Note: I also read the Silmarillion.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #48
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion and a couple of short stories way before the movies. Although nothing can equal the books for me I do love the movies too. In fact, the movies spurred me on to read another short story and Unfinished Tales.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #49
Finwen
Animated Skeleton

Finwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read before I saw.

I suppose LotR (and the Hobbit) are those 'classics' which children are encouraged to read when they're young. So, that's how it first came about [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Although by the time the films came 'round it was 5 or 6 years since I'd read the books, so I re-read them.

So, though I'm loathe to admit it, the films re-awoke the obsession, which then got me into Silm. and HoME. Just don't tell anyone.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Finwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #50
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well the books came 1st...i was like buying the books a month before the movie was released in Malaysia. The reason to do so was to get some spoiler and the insight of the whole LOTR and that`s when i got hooked!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #51
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

1420!

I hadn't heard of Tolkien until the beginning of 2001, when the first rumours about the movies came. Read fotr, fell immediately in love with Middle-Earth ánd Tengwar and managed to finish it on the day the first movie appeared in the cinemas. Boy, I'd never have believed I could be so totally bewitched by a simple book! So I read TTT in about a month, then school came along and rotk took a little longer. I literally devoured TH and read the trilogy again, and then the second movie came out. Okay, can't say I was very happy about how PJ has twisted the story around, but although the movie does not follow the book very strictly, he still made a fabulous piece of fantasy. Now I already bought the Silmarillion and the appendices (I know, it's a shame I haven't bought them earlier on...), and am looking desperatly for a copy of the Book of Lost Tales. Most of my spare time goes to searching the web for more information about Tolkiens languages, so I could say I'm a fan! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Moge de dageraad jullie allen halen en verstenen!" – Gandalf

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Old 02-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #52
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well that`s the exact feeling i was talking about Tenduriel you`ll just never stop reading the books...it`s like LOVe!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #53
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

Waugh! I'm deprived! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] When I was 8 or somewhere around that age, my brother wanted me to read The Hobbit, but I was not keen at all on reading then, and since The Hobbit seemed like such a LOOONG book for me, I didn't want to... so he eventually made a "deal" with me and said he would pay me 5 bucks if I read it before the end of the year. I gave it a shot, and got no where near the goal... ended up reading only 20 pages and got seriously bored, so I quit. NOW, my brother doesn't want me to read the LotR trilogy until AFTER I see the movies... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So after I saw The FotR, I read The FotR, got half way through The Two Towers, (hehe... borrowed TTT from a friend secretly... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ) then saw the film, and then finished it... and I'm DYING to read The RotK... so I think I'll go through my little plan of borrowing it from a friend again... secretly of course [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] *sigh* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] My brother rules my life... and so does my other brother... -_- That's what you get having 2 older brothers...
Old 02-20-2003, 12:57 AM   #54
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you poor thing! don't let your brothers control you like that! read the book anyway!
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #55
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

1420!

or read them twice! that's even better [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Old 02-21-2003, 04:26 PM   #56
Luthien
Pile O'Bones

Luthien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Like many here, I saw the Fellowship then I read the trilogy, and I'm so glad I did. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:35 PM   #57
The last hobbit

Tolkien

i saw the fellowship first, then i read the book, read the second book before the movie came out. Just finished reading the hobbit, fellowship and TTT, im reading return and the silrimoion (sp) next, yay.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #58
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Silmaril

I was about 4, as i have stated in previous posts, when my father read me LOTR and the hobbit. So, obviously I read/heard Lotr first!
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:12 PM   #59
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had read the Hobbit and Trilogy as a teenager, many years ago, but without any great understanding. Since the movies came out I read the books again and also The Simarillion, Unfinshed Tales and am half way through HoME. I am also reading the Hobbit and bits of the trilogy and Simarillion to my 5 year old to hopefully enthuse him in Tolkiens work. The movies have brought this wonderful world to many who were not reached before, a good thing in my opinion.