The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien WWXXXV: Werewolves among the Wolf-men

This is the game thread. No out-game posts here. All questions go to the Admin Thread, please.

BRIEF RULES

Deadline is 8 PM GMT.

Votes are retractable once per Day.

No double-lynches.

!!!Roleplaying is compulsory!!!

Please, remove your signatures from your posts on this thread.

For more details about the rules, check the admin thread.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-26-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Prologue - Part I

Túrin son of Húrin was a man strong and proud, a hero of old times, and his deeds were great in the lands of Beleriand in ages long gone. But his fate was dark and sorrowful, for the curse of Morgoth the Dark Lord lay on him and his kin. His tale is fulltold in that lay that is called Narn i Hîn Húrin, the Tale of the Children of Húrin. Here of that tale is told but a small part, for it is the longest of all the ancient tales.
When Túrin was young, his mother sent him to Doriath, where king Thingol received him and raised him. Túrin grew fair and strong in Doriath, and became the companion in arms of Beleg Cúthalion. But he came into enmity with Saeros, an elf from king's court, and Saeros assailed him in the woods; but Túrin overcame him and Saeros fleeing in terror before him fell into the chasm of a stream. In fear of punishment, Túrin left Doriath and joined himself to a band of such houseless and desperate men as could be found in those evil days lurking in the wild. Gaurwaith, wolf-men they were called, and Túrin became their leader and led them away westward out of Sirion's vale; for they grew weary of their life without rest, ever watchful and in fear of pursuit, and they sought for a safer lair.

And it chanced at a time of evening that they came upon three Dwarves, who fled before them; but one that lagged behind was seized and thrown down, and a man of the company took his bow and let fly an arrow at the others as they vanished in the dusk. Now the dwarf that they had taken was named Mîm; and he pleaded for his life before Túrin, and offered as ransom to lead them to his hidden halls which none might find without his aid. Then Túrin pitied Mîm, and spared him; and he said: "Where is your house?"
Then Mîm answered: "High above the lands lies the house of Mîm, upon the great hill; Amon Rûdh is that hill called now, since the Elves changed all the names."
Then Túrin was silent, and he looked long upon the dwarf; and at last he said: "You shall bring us to that place."

The company set westward, and Túrin went at the head with Mîm at his side. They walked warily when they left the woods, but all the land was empty and quiet. They passed over the tumbled stones, and began to climb; for Amon Rûdh stood upon the eastern edge of the high moorlands that rose between the vales of Sirion and Narog, and even above the stony heath at its base its crown was reared up a thousand feet and more. Upon the eastern side a broken land climbed slowly up to the high ridges among knots of birch and rowan, and ancient thorn-trees rooted in rock. About the lower slopes of Amon Rûdh there grew thickets of aeglos; but its steep grey head was bare, save for the red seregon that mantled the stone.
As the afternoon was waning the outlaws drew near to the roots of the hill. They came now from the north, for so Mîm had led them, and the light of the westering sun fell upon the crown of Amon Rûdh, and the seregon was all in flower.
Then one among them said: "See! There is blood on the hill-top."
"Not yet," said Túrin.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Prologue - Part II

Then Mîm led them by secret paths up the steep slopes of Amon Rûdh; and at the mouth of his cave he bowed to Túrin, saying: "Enter into Bar-en-Danwedh, the House of Ransom; for so it shall be called."
And now there came another dwarf bearing light to greet him, and they spoke together, and passed swiftly down into the darkness of the cave; but the men followed after, and came at length to a chamber far within, lit by dim lamps hanging upon chains. There they found Mîm kneeling at a stone couch beside the wall, and he tore his beard, and wailed, crying one name unceasingly; and on the couch there lay a third. But Túrin entering stood beside Mîm, and offered him aid. Then Mîm looked up at him, and said: "You can give no aid. Not unless you can turn back time, and then cut off the cruel hands of your men. For this is Khîm, my son; pierced by an arrow. He died at sunset. Ibun my son has told me."
Again pity long hardened welled in Túrin's heart as water from rock. "Alas!" he said. "I would recall that shaft, if I could. Now Bar-en-Danwedh, House of Ransom, shall this be called in truth. For whether we dwell here or no, I will hold myself in your debt; and if ever I come to any wealth, I will pay you a ransom of heavy gold for your son, in token of sorrow, though it gladden your heart no more."
Then Mîm rose, and looked long at Túrin. "I hear you," he said. "You speak like a Dwarf-lord of old; and at that I marvel. Now my heart is cooled, though it is not glad. My own ransom I will pay, therefore: you may dwell here, if you will. But this I will add: he that loosed the shaft shall break his bow and his arrows and lay them at my son's feet; and he shall never take arrow nor bear bow again. If he does, he shall die by it. That curse I lay on him."
The outlaw who shot the Dwarf was afraid when he heard of this curse; and though he did so with great grudge, he broke his bow and his arrows and laid them at the dead Dwarf's feet. But as he came out from the chamber, he glanced evilly at Mîm, and muttered: "The curse of a Dwarf never dies, they say; but a Man's too may come home. May he die with a dart in his throat!"

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-24-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Prologue - Part III

So began the abiding of Túrin son of Húrin in the halls of Mîm, in Bar-en-Danwedh, the House of Ransom. For a long while the life of the outlaws went well to their liking. Food was not scarce, and they had good shelter, warm and dry, with room enough and to spare; for they found that the caves could have housed a hundred or more at need. But when the year drew on to midwinter, snow came down from the north heavier than they had known it in the river-vales, and Amon Rûdh was covered deep; and they said that the winters worsened in Beleriand as the power of Angband grew. Then only the hardiest dared stir abroad; and some fell sick, and all were pinched with hunger. But in the dim dusk of a winter's day there appeared suddenly among them a man, as it seemed, of great bulk and girth, cloaked and hooded in white; and he walked up to the fire without a word. And when men sprang up in fear, he laughed, and threw back his hood, and beneath his wide cloak he bore a great pack; and in the light of the fire Túrin looked on the face of Beleg Cúthalion.
Thus Beleg returned to Túrin, and their meeting was glad; and with him he brought out of Dimbar the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin, thinking that it might lift Túrin's thought again above his life in the wilderness as the leader of a petty company.

But after the winter came spring, and now again the might of Angband was moved; and as the long fingers of a groping hand the forerunners of his armies probed the ways into Beleriand. They have taken all the northern lands and led their way as far as the Guarded Plain; but the Orcs did not go far upon it, as yet, for there dwelt now in the wild a terror that was hidden, and upon the red hill were watchful eyes of which they had not been warned. For Túrin put on again the Helm of Hador; and far and wide in Beleriand the whisper went, under wood and over stream and through the passes of the hills, saying that the Helm and Bow that had fallen in Dimbar had arisen again beyond hope. Then many who went leaderless, dispossessed but undaunted, took heart again, and came to seek the Two Captains. Dor-Cúarthol, the Land of Bow and Helm, was in that time named all the region between Teiglin and the west march of Doriath. In Menegroth, and in the deep halls of Nargothrond, and even in the hidden realm of Gondolin, the fame of the deeds of the Two Captains was heard; and in Angband also they were known. Then Morgoth laughed, for now by the Dragon-helm was Húrin's son revealed to him again; and ere long Amon Rûdh was ringed with spies.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-24-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Prologue - Part IV

In that time, when due to deeds of the Bow and Helm the power of Morgoth was stemmed west of Sirion, Morwen mother of Túrin fled at last from Dor-lómin with Nienor her daughter, and adventured the long journey to Doriath. There new grief awaited her, for she found Túrin gone. But Morwen's heart was restless, as if she saw some great peril coming, and longed to go to seek for Túrin. But Thingol said to her: "This is a perilous matter, Lady of Dor-lómin, and must be pondered. Such doubt may in truth be the work of Morgoth, to draw us on to some rashness."
But Morwen being distraught cried: "Rashness, lord! If my son lurks in the woods hungry, if he lingers in bonds, if his body lies unburied, then I would be rash. I would lose no hour to go to seek him."
But Nienor said: "If the wife of Húrin can go forth against all counsel at the call of kindred, then so also can Húrin's daughter. Mourning you named me, but I will not mourn alone, for father, brother, and mother. But of these you only have I known, and above all do I love. And I want not to lose you, but I will go and find my brother, and bring him back."
Then Morwen would restrain her; but Nienor knew her mother will not give up unless Túrin is found. So under the cover of night, she had taken horse and left Doriath to seek for her brother in the wilderness. She crossed Sirion and headed northwards, and there came upon a small company of outlaws. Their leader welcomed her, but to her questions he gave no answers. "The Bow and Helm are in these lands," he said, "but where their bearers dwell, no one knows."

Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Prologue - Part V

At that time, news reached Túrin that the Orcs are assembling once more to cross Teiglin with great force, and Beleg set forth with some of his companions to learn more about their numbers, while Túrin decided to stay and guard their hideout for the few days.
"I will return shortly," Beleg said to Túrin when they parted. "But until then, do not admit anyone you do not know to Amon Rûdh. My heart warns me that there is some greater peril ahead than our eyes can perceive."

Thus Beleg departed, and Túrin heard nothing of him for some time. He spent few days with the old Dwarf, listening to his lore and the tales of his life. Mîm seemed well pleased, and showed much favour to Túrin in return; eventually he would admit Túrin to his hidden smithy, and there they would talk softly together. But as days passed, Túrin's heart became unsettled, and every evening he would look westwards to see Beleg returning with news from the Crossings. But Beleg did not come, and Túrin's heart was restless.

But it happened one evening that Ibun son of Mîm returned from gathering of food, and brought news about the Outlaws in surrounding camps, for the fame of the Helm and Bow has brought many men to these lands. And then it was when Túrin heard this strange tale: of a young woman coming from the East, in likeness of the fair women of the House of Hador, seeking for the bearer of the Helm of Dor-Lómin.
"Who was she?" said Túrin, suddenly in fear and doubt, though he knew not why. But at that moment a hooded man appeared beside them, and Túrin, startled, drew his sword. But the man took off his hood, and lo! In the light of campfire Túrin looked again in the face of Beleg Cúthalion: but the face he saw was weary and fearful.
"I bring grave news, my friend," said Beleg before Túrin could ask anything. "The might of the North has moved. Before we could even reach the Crossings, we were waylaid by a troop of Orcs who must have secretly crossed the river. The men fought valiantly, but many of them were slain by the first unexpected strike and the rest have fled into the woods. I do not know what happened to them."
And Túrin said: "So it is as I have feared. I pity that loss, for they were brave men. But even then there is some hope. Mîm's son, here, said that there are men gathering in the nearby woods to join the Helm and Bow. Is that not a good sign of fate in the darkness of this time?"
"Your fate is all dark, and not good, son of Húrin," said Beleg. "But I do not understand what you say."
"I say," Túrin answered, "that we send Ibun for the outlaws down in the nearby camps. We need more men and if we have enough, we can at last go and throw back the Orcs."
Now Beleg was alarmed and said: "But surely you cannot plan to bring those you hardly know to our hideout? The Enemy is searching for you everywhere, and who knows his counsels? Remember that it was for the treachery he achieved his ends in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Choose wisely whom you admit to your presence!"
But Túrin would not listen, and against the counsel of Beleg he sent a call to the men from nearby camps to join him; and he let a chosen number of them come to Amon Rûdh. But Beleg remained quiet and unsettled, and he covered his face with hood, so that none of the men recognized him.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And it indeed was as Beleg said: for it came that Morgoth resolved that the Orcs alone would not serve him in this case, as he needed to discover the hideout of Gaurwaith first. And he called forth the werewolves, fell beasts inhabited by dreadful spirits, and sent them across Anfauglith to the marshes of Serech, and then down through the land between Sirion and Malduin. And when they reached the Crossings of Teiglin, they took upon themselves the forms of Men, and in secret, unknown, they joined the scattered bands wandering in the woods.

Two of these beasts were now among the men heading towards Amon Rûdh. And when the company reached the hill, sun was setting; and Túrin was standing at the hilltop, watching the company as they passed silently. And suddenly he gave out a cry, but was silenced by Beleg, who once again appeared behind him.
"What is it?" whispered Beleg, as last of the company passed. And Túrin said: "I ordered eight men to come. But nine they entered the hill!"
And Beleg answered: "Does your heart not know the answer? There went rumour among the men in the camps about a young woman they encountered in these lands. She is Nienor, your sister. She was searching for you, but shortly after you sent the call, she disappeared."
Túrin's eyes widened. "My sister? So do you say she is here?" And he turned to follow the company, but Beleg stopped him.
"And what if," Beleg said, "there are some who wish to harm you, as I said? Is not your sister in danger as well?"
Then for a moment it seemed to Beleg as if he saw a glimpse of fear in Túrin's eyes. "But what should I do then?"
And Beleg answered: "Now you ask me for a counsel? But I will give you one: hide your helm and conceal your heritage, as you did before. These men recognize the Dragon Helm, but they know not your face. And if there are indeed some who seek to harm you, they will at least not know whom to focus on. Only then you, and your sister, are safe."
Now Túrin, not because of fear for his life, but for his sister, took off the Dragon Helm and covered his face with hood; and unknown he and Beleg joined the ranks of the newcomers. And when the company entered the hill, Mîm the Dwarf and Ibun his son came out and welcomed the outlaws.
"New friends have come to the halls of Amon Rûdh? Mîm welcomes everyone in his house gladly," said the old Dwarf, observing the newcomers closely. And a fair man among the Outlaws, clothed in blue-hued cape, turned to him and spoke: "Where is the bearer of the Helm of Hador? I come a long way to see my rightful master." But another man, standing nearby in the crowd, said: "Why should we care? He will surely come when he wants to speak with us."
Then some of the outlaws looked around, and there was question in their eyes. But at last there came a voice heard from further end of the hall, and all the men and women turned around; but what they saw was not the Dragon Helm of Dor-Lómin. And there stood a man tall and strong, but dressed in with worn-out clothes and with a smirk on his face. And he spoke to Mîm, though he was not looking in the Dwarf's face, and there was contempt to be heard in his voice: "We care not of Dwarven greetings. This day was long and we are tired enough to listen to blethering of old dwarf-kin, nor to look for a man who called us here but has surely important matters at hand than welcome us himself. But let us go to sleep now, as we have a long journey behind and are in need of a rest."
"Surely," said Mîm with a glimpse of smile on his face, "I will not trouble your sleep. Mîm will go to his room and work a little. But the Men may rest wherever they find space."
So every man found his place to rest, some in the chambers opening out of the halls, some even in passages between them, and all fell asleep. Silence fell on the mountain and its many halls. And as the pale full moon rose above Doriath in the east and its white shine lightened the crown of Amon Rûdh, the two werewolves rose from their sleeping places and came together in an empty hall, and with low voices they started to talk about their plans...

These are the names of the inhabitants of Amon Rûdh at that time:

Mîm the Petty Dwarf
Ibun his son
Rikae
Shastanis Althreduin
Nogrod
Macalaure
Isabellkya
Brinniel
Lhunardawen
xyzzy
Gil-Galad
the guy who be short
Mithalwen

Night 1
has begun. Wolves, you may start PMing and talk your plans. Túrin and Beleg, you may do so as well. Others, wait for dawn.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

First night at Amon Rûdh

It was still deep night and Mîm the Dwarf had finished his work. "We go to sleep now," he said to his son. "Take these arrowheads, we will hide them on a safe place." Ibun took several fine-shaped arrowheads they made during this and the previous nights and quietly they crept out of the room. Together they passed through empty and silent corridors. Suddenly Mîm stopped. A sound of soft voices was coming from nearby chamber.
Mîm looked at his son, then beckoned to him to stay in place with the arrowheads, and he himself took a turn and with his lamp's light dimmed he entered the room. "Do not the Men yet sl-"
But he did not finish the sentence. In the dim light of half-covered lantern, two large beasts in wolf-form were sitting there, their eyes staring at him. Mîm gave out a loud cry and turned to run, but he was too slow. At the same moment something big and furry knocked him down from behind, and he fell to the stony floor. Sharp-fanged jaws opened to inflict the deadly bite, but suddenly retaliated, and the wolf gave out a sound of pain, as a thrown sharp piece of metal hit his side. The beast turned, and saw Ibun standing in the nearby entrance. He was just preparing to rush forth to his father's aid, but faster than eyes could see the wolf jumped over Mîm's lying body and ran to Ibun, nailing the Dwarf against the wall. Half-shaken by the pounce, Ibun struggled to set himself free, but instantly he felt terrible pain, as sharp fangs pierced his throat. The Dwarf's death rattle echoed the empty corridor, followed by annoyed growl and Mîm's scream.

But there was no time for the old Dwarf to wonder. The second wolf came out of the room, preparing to finish off the second witness of the monsters' presence. But before he could move toward his helpless prey, a hooded figure appeared in the corridor entrance. There was a plunk of bowstring and an arrow nearly missed the snout of one wolf. The newcomer was already pulling the string of his long black bow for the second time, but the monsters understood the peril quickly. Swiftly, both wolves turned and disappeared in the other empty entrance.

Before Mîm could lift himself from the floor, swift steps were heard and from the other side a man came with sword drawn and a torch in hand, and he stopped at the terrible sight. The hooded figure, still holding the fine carved black bow, turned to him.
"What is this evil work, my friend?" said Túrin. "What happened here?"
"It is as I told you," answered Beleg, taking off the hood, "you brought the evil with you. This is the deed of Morgoth's servants. I saw them: they are werewolves. They are hiding among the outlaws."
Now Túrin saw again that his choice lead him to peril, and that Beleg was right. But the Elf said: "Alas! You may do well to pity that you rejected my counsel, son of Húrin, but too late. The evil is here."
Mîm did not listen to the talk of two men. Crawling on the ground, he moved to his son's dead body, lay his head on Ibun's chest and soaking his beard in son's blood he wept with voiceless cry.
"Stand up, Mîm," said Túrin. "You are alive, thanks to Beleg, though it is too late for your son."
"I pity I came too late," said Beleg. But Mîm looked up, and there was a red light in his eyes. "Late!" he said. "You should have let the beasts kill Mîm as well, then! For what is now left for me here? My sons are dead! Yes, you came too late, Elf, as your kin always does!"
"Do not be hasty in your sorrow and anger, Mîm," said Túrin. "You are alive only because the beasts were disturbed. But with your aid, we can make revenge on those who caused you this pain."
Now Mîm looked at Beleg, but was silent. "Speak to us!" said Túrin. "How many did you see?"
"Two," answered the Dwarf.
"I saw two as well," confirmed Beleg. "I doubt they will do anything more tonight: they surely want to cover, now that they know their presence is revealed. In the morning, we should move the others to seek for the threat in our ranks."
"And how shall we learn?" asked Túrin. "How shall we discern the werewolves from innocent men?"
"We must hope," said Beleg. "But we should not reveal ourselves to the others, not yet. I am sure the Enemy wants you, Túrin, more than anyone else, and if the werewolves learned, they would waste no time to harm you."
"But Nienor!" said Túrin. "She is in danger too! And how can I save her? I do not even know who she is!"
"Then you have to find the werewolves and destroy them before they find you - or her," answered Beleg.
"So it shall be," said Túrin and turned to the old Dwarf. "Mîm, we appreciate you told no one about the two of us. Keep this knowledge in secret still! But I swear I will avenge your son, and once this is done, I will pay you even greater ransom, for I owe you my life now."
And Beleg said: "Do not swear when you cannot see the end! But now you will do well to sleep. I am going to stay awake for the rest of the night and guard, as well as tomorrow and other days if it is needed. I may watch you or another one whom you choose to trust, to protect him from danger. I can stay awake and alert at nights, but you, Túrin, are a Man and have to sleep."
"Nevertheless, I will keep my sword close," said Túrin.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-26-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

First Day at Amon Rûdh

Mîm did not sleep at all that night: after the talk with Túrin and Beleg he took the dead body of his son together with the arrowheads they forged that night and carried it through the empty corridors to his secret room. He was downbent by his heavy burden, but carried it all the way. Then he buried his second son's body, as it was a way among the Dwarves; and when the stars were beginning to fade, he left his secret room and blocked the entrance with a stone.

And it came when the outlaws awoke in the morning, Mîm spoke to them in the great hall and, as Túrin asked him before, told them what happened at night. And when the men and women heard about werewolves being present among them, some were afraid. And one of them, a long-haired woman dressed in dark green, expressed the feelings of some: "If there are werewolves among us, we should leave this place!"
But another one, a grumpy-looking man, said: "And how do you want to survive in the woods if there are such monsters around? No, we have to stay here. And if these beasts go out, they will bring their friends."
"You are right," nodded another, shorter man. "The location of our hideout should not be given away."
"And you remember the way inside?" asked a woman in worn-out clothes, with long black tangled hair. "I think no one of us does. There is quite a maze of rock out there."
"But what are we going to eat?" asked a very young-looking man, almost a boy. "We surely cannot let this place's location be revealed, in this I agree with the short guy. But from what I saw, there is not much food here for the lot of us, or is it?" he said, turning to Mîm.
"Truly, there is not," said the old Dwarf. "For a few days, maybe. But Mîm can bring food from the outside."
"No, no!" said the grumpy-looking man. "We will not allow this, surely? We would never see the old rascal again."
"Why should he betray us?" muttered a young woman in gray cloak. "This is his home, after all."
"Someone should at least watch him," proposed the man in blue-hued cloak. "If we send someone with him, he cannot simply run away."
"But we said that no one should leave!" shouted the short guy.
"If we send just one," said the boyish-looking man, "then even if he were a werewolf, he would not want to leave his fellow here alone. And as someone said, he could not find his way back without the Dwarf's aid."
"Then the only question remains – who will go?" said the woman in dark green.
There was a moment of silence.
"I will," said the woman in gray cloak after a while. "I trust the Dwarf, but for your sake I am going to look after him. We'll be back at sunset, good?"

As no one obliged, the Dwarf and the woman took each one bow and a sack and went off. The others watched them, until they disappeared among the rock...

The inhabitants of Amon Rûdh - dead:

Ibun son of Mîm, killed by a Werewolf on Night 1

The inhabitants of Amon Rûdh – living:
Mîm the Petty Dwarf
, outside on the gathering of food
Rikae
Shastanis Althreduin
Nogrod
Macalaure
Isabellkya
Brinniel
Lhunardawen
xyzzy
Gil-Galad
the guy who be short
Mithalwen
, outside on the gathering of food with Mîm

Day 1 has begun. Everyone stop PMing. Everyone start to talk.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-26-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Old Nogrod woke up with the general hassle. He had thought that this dwarf Mîm was no good and should be done away with anyway. The way Mîm presented the case of the Night was not going to make him thinking better of the shortling.

“C’mon! You said there are two werewolves of Morgoth inside here, but how come you tell us that:

[I]In the dim light of half-covered lantern, two large beasts in wolf-form were sitting there, their eyes staring at [me]. [I] gave out a loud cry and turned to run, but [...] was too slow. At the same moment something big and furry knocked [me] down from behind, and fell to the stony floor.

So you saw two but still one came from behind? And what is your part in this you cobbler of a dwarf? As soon as we realise who of us you are, I say we bring you to the gallows just to be sure with you.”

Nogrod drew breath and watched the others as they tried to come to grips with his strong accusations.

“Just listen to what he tells us and think for yourselves. There is something rotten there. Either there are more Morgoth’s servants around here and he lies to us deliberately or then he himself is a lesser baddie and wants to mislead us with cunning schemes. Both ways I’d like to see that dwarf getting the blade as soon as possible.”

Nogrod streched for his pipe and after reaching it and the tobacco started filling it.

“The Two Captains should stay concealed for their own good... and lady Nienor, if she really is here... I do fear that her fate is tied to the fate of our Dragon-helm of Dor Lómin. But how can we avoid jumping on the child of Húrin or the renowned Beleg Cúthalion, or Her? That is the puzzle for us to begin with in concerto with spotting these cursed Morgoth’s apes.”

After lighting his pipe Nogrod set it aside and took his blanket to fold it neatly. Then he looked around for the others in the chamber and grasped his pipe puffing a few smoke-rings from it.

Mith is away for toDay as she is out with that dwarf. I would not think her suspicious just for the reason she will not have a possibility of defending herself toDay. But the dwarf I would really like to hang. So let’s see who is the one that will not take part in our discussions toDay and reason out the dwarf’s identity that way? Or do you have better ideas?”

With that Nogrod leaned back and fell into his thoughts. He was puzzled and waited in eagerness for the others to contribute their thoughts.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
After a moment's silence Nogrod coughed pardoningly and managed to utter the next words against his personal pride.

"Oh... after some thinking I must say that the dwarf actually said that he had turned around before someone ran over him from behind. But I still wonder how he managed to stay alive albeit being run over by a werewolf. So is he telling us the truth? It's easy to allocate brave deeds to those who do not speak any more... And anyhow I dislike these dwarves so I would rather see them gone first."

With that he grumbled and fell to his back again...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

After a while of napping Nogrod woke up again just to realise that no one had said a word.

"Now what's wrong with you guys? Don't you think we have something to do?"

He bursted and relit his pipe that had went off. Adjusting himself to a better position he scanned the people around. Most of them seemed to have fallen asleep yet again even as it was a high morning outside. He cursed silently to himself... well, being the only one who doesn't need so much sleep around as I'm old enough and have slept my share already, or what? Or the cunning of Morgoth to lay us down and not to even try?

As a sudden reaction he threw a small rock on the short guy.

"Hey you! You we're busy telling us things a while ago when the morning broke... How about you cleared your mind now? Or you blue-hued cloak-man? Or the woman in dark green? We don't get anywhere if you just stay quiet and I'm the only one to talk in this wretched cave..."

His words were absorbed into the silence of the cave and not even the echo answered him. Nogrod sat still for a moment puffing his relit pipe before he rose up and took to the doorway to look at the bright daylight outside.

The morning had actually broken and the sun was travelling quite high already. The forest around Bar-en-Danwedh was glimmering in the day that was already nearing it's peak. Nogrod sat down on a boulder by the entrance of Mîm's hall and looked around him.

The different hues of greens of the forest that danced in the daylight were enchanting and carried Nogrod's thoughts out of the present to the days of his childhood. But then he suddenly came back to the here and now. Darn fools... how do you think to catch the slaves of Morgoth by sleeping on it...?

EDIT: language-affairs...

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-26-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Gil rolled his eyes and sighed

"noggie you old coot, why must you always go into those long paragraphs, maybe our readers would like you as the strong silent type"

Gil smiled at the thought of his own joke then begisn to stretch

"so what is our plan for today now that it is less safer my lads?"
Old 06-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
After some time, a boy hooded in a dark cloak stepped out from the shadows. Sunlight splashed on his face revealing unusually soft features. He looked about the others almost hoping someone else would say something, and when no one did, he cleared his throat.

"I am normally one who prefers to remain quiet, but when no one else but Nogrod will speak, I will no longer stand to stay among the silent. This is an important matter we are discussing...all our lives are at stake. How can we go about seeking out the werewolves when everyone is quiet?

"We may outnumber the wolves now, but one by one they will pick us off. It is important that we find a strategy on how to capture them, and we must have a plan before the day is over or else we might well jump off a cliff, for certainly that would be a better fate than falling into the hands of an Enemy."

Brinn spoke these words quietly, but surely. He hoped that others would follow and step out from the shadows as well.

EDIT: X-ed with Gil-Galad
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Awaking from his much-needed sleep, the young man crawled out from under his sapphire-hued cloak and sat up, reaching for his boots. Picking one up, he paused, then overturned it, shaking it vigorously. A large insect fell out, righted itself, and skittered off.

"Damn cave vermin," he muttered, pulling on the boot and tying the laces. Looking up to see just who was awake, his gaze landed on the old man. He grinned, yanking on the other boot and hopping to his feet.

"What ho, old man! Keeping watch over the rest of us? I'm grateful, truly; perhaps, though, another, more able to fight off a beast, might sit up tonight? I, for one, volunteer, if there are no others courageous enough..."

He trailed off, waiting for a protest... and looked a bit confused when no one did.

"Very well, that's settled. Have that dwarf and the lady come back with provisions yet? I'm about to die of hunger!"

True to form, a growl let out across the cavern, originating from the young man's stomach.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
Gil-Galad

Gil looked over to Shasta

"and you my dear Shasta, you better be saving some of these, 'Provisions', for us this time eh?"

Gil looked around the roo mand sighed

"look my lads, if we are going to get through this peril of werewolves amongst us we must keep a hearty smile at all times and we'll get through this, for as my father fought side by side with the great elven king of the days of old! i will fight with my brethern to save our group"

a voice came from amongst the group "your father was a pig farmer that got himself drunk and drowned hismelf in the lake"

Gil snarled back

"oi, but that drunk pig farmer could out do your papa any time there! jsut ask your mother"

Gil again smiled to hismelf as a rock hit him in the lower back

"oww... thats going to leave a mark now..."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #17
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
"That was one time! And there weren't that many provisions left to begin with!" Shasta protested, turning slightly red. To change the subject, he threw another rock at Gil.

"Anyway," Shasta continued, "with the amount of us here, with two of us being werewolves, we don't have a lot of leeway here... We ought to make very sure that we're executing a werewolf, because we don't have very many chances at this."

Having had his say, Shasta edged warily away from the sleeping bodies behind him, as though one or two them might grow fur and fangs at any moment.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #18
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
"Can't a person here think in peace without being accused of sleeping?" came a woman's voice from the corner. She was hidden by her mass of tangled dark hair, which she soon parted to reveal a dirt-stained - albeit yet quite lovely - face. "It is better to keep silent when no thoughts worth voicing out would come. And you, Gil, would do well to remember that," she added with a glare towards the man.

Lhuna stood up, and walked slowly around the room; all eyes followed her, though she took no notice of it. "You were right, Shasta," she said finally, more to herself than to the person she mentioned, "we don't have a lot of room for mistakes. With only ten - eleven - of us, and two of them vile servants of Morgoth, every drop of blood counts. If it's any consolation to us we ought to be relieved that Morgoth did not think of sending more. But in our small number, should these wolves prove as shrewd as their master, we only have less than a week - four Days, if I counted it right - to spend discovering who they are before we all are killed. We should spend that time wisely, scrutinising everyone, down to the tiniest things they say.

"But as of yet, there is nothing to scrutinise - unless we make a big deal out of Gil's glibness. You'll all have things to say before the sun goes down, and for that I will wait."

Lhuna went back to her corner and sat again motionless, as though asleep.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nogrod woke up from his thoughts when he heard that a discussion had started inside. It's about time..., he mumbled to himself and walked in to hear the conversation.

As he stepped in it was quiet again.

"I heard you Shasta! The brave and young soldier edging away from sleeping fellows in open daylight... and at the same time questioning my strength and skills. If you were my son I would teach you a lesson on respect for older people... and on how incoherence is not a personal trait worth having in this kind of situation."

He glanced at the young man somewhat disapprovingly but then just shrugged his shoulders and walked to his place. Youngsters... gah... After a while of searching he finally lifted a small ballshaped thing from his backpack. It was wrapped in paper of a kind. Nogrod opened the package carefully and took the small bread out from it. He cut a small piece of it with his knife and then turned towards Brinn who was sitting quietly some yards away from him.

"Catch Brinn!" With that he threw the small bread to Brinniel.

"Okay guys, we're all hungry. Take your share from my bread so that we don't need to waste our time on talking about food. We've got more important things to discuss here toDay...

You're right Lhuna. We should scrutinise everything anyone says, down to the tiniest detail. But the problem is that so few of us have said anything that could be read this way or that. Yes Gil is looking a bit glibbery and Shasta's words contradict with his actions. But this far I'm much more inclined to suspect those who just stay quiet and do not contribute to our cause. It's afternoon already and only five of us have said something... I mean, yes I know some people need more sleep than others but this is just plain ridiculous."

Nogrod fell silent for a moment but lifted his head soon again.

"If... and mark that I say if there is a number of people who do not help us toDay - not counting Mith whom we know to be out there in the wild getting us some food - and if, note if there are no better tracks to follow I might be ready to just pick toDay someone I find the least helpful of those quiet-ones and lynch her or him just out of pure frustration..."
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
An older woman in a blue cloak had been sitting in the corner watching these proceedings for some time, though no one had paid her much heed. Now she rose, slowly, and frowned at Nogrod.

"Young man, don't think I speak out of fear of your empty threats...or that you will escape scrutany by assuming leadership of the group, though your forefathers did the same."

She lifted a gnarled wooden staff and pointed to each of the others in turn.
"Brinn has spoken only for the sake of speaking and to urge others to contribute. While I don't approve of empty prattle, his brand of it feels like an honest attempt to break the ice. There seems to be some fear behind it, though, but on the other hand, it is never easy to speak so early.

Gil is talking as much as his grandfather did; and, while discussion is needed, playing and joking in such dire circumstances is not. It is not the play, however, that worries me so much as the lack of playfulness behind it. It seems false, somehow stiff, and I will be watching Gil.

What I say for Gil goes doubly for Shasta. His actions seem staged and his mood slightly...edgy. His fearfulness makes more sense if he is evil, too, since then the majority is against him.

Lhuna,, you speak sense; though, at this point, what you say is rather obvious. I knew your grandmother, though, and she was a crafty one. You must be watched closely."

she paused, then added "it's a shame for such a lovely girl to go around with her hair unkempt..." she pulled an ornate comb out of her bag and handed it to the young woman.

"Where was I...? Oh, yes, these slugs." She indicated TGWBS, Izzabellkya, xyzzy and Macalaure with her staff, giving the last a slight nudge.

"I would hardly be surprised if a wolf lurks among them. You should especially watch THAT one - "
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #21
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Guy looked around the room, concerned. He himself had just awoken; more than half the others were still asleep. Some - like Nogrod - seemed to be on the verge of falling asleep again. Only an old woman seemed really animated, poking people with her staff.

"Friends," Guy said, arising, "there is plainly some evil at work here. This sleep is unnatural - it is late in the afternoon and my eyes have only just opened themselves. Some sort of charm lies on this room: I beseech you all, let us awake these others and step outside, into the sunlight by the pool. There, perhaps, our hearts shall be lighter and our tongues looser. For we have little time to decide what is to be done of these wolves."

The others consented. Rikae, the old woman, gave each of the sleepers a tap with her stick, and the whole group left the cave to sit around the clear pool outside. The sun was shining and they felt their wits sharpen as the sleep left them.

"Now, perhaps," Guy began, "we shall be able to decide who the wolves are. We are in a perilous position - we cannot have people keep watch at night, for fear that they are wolves. So we cannot afford to wait: we must decide who the wolves are, and slay them swiftly."

Everybody in the group looked round once again, suspicious of one another. The sunlight faded, and their moods were darkened. None spoke for several minutes.

"If none shall speak, I shall voice my thoughts, though they be half-formed only, to prevent the sleeping-charm taking a hold even here. I find that lady Rikae too willing to use that stick on others. Hers is the perfect disguise: for who would suspect an old woman. I'll warrant she needs not that staff.

"And what of Brinn? His soft features do not befit a man who has struggled to stay alive these past years. Perhaps his life has been easy under the thraldom of Morgoth."

Last edited by the guy who be short; 06-27-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Making a verb correct
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #22
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Guy looked around in shock. During his oration, most of the rest of the group had nodded off again.

"Hear me!" Guy shouted, waking a couple of them up. "I shall declare he who I believe to be guilty of wolvery. He is

++XYZZY."

There were many nods and a few gasps. Xyzzy, meanwhile, did not offer a response, being once again fast asleep on the floor.

"I feel," Guy continued, "that his sleepiness is a result of wolvery. Tiring himself with murder by night, he requires the day to sleep it away. This sleeping enchantment that falls ever upon our heads is surely a result of his wolvish magic, seeking through spells to make others appear like him and so reduce suspicion upon him. One of these other sleepers - Izzy and Mac - is likely his companion."

He finished, satisfied with himself, only to realize once again that several villagers had fallen asleep. He sighed and shared a glance with Nogrod: he, at least, could stay awake. I do not think, Guy thought, that he is guilty. Surely he would have slain us when he alone was awake earlier in the day, were he a wolf?

Guy looked up - Nogrod had closed his eyes.

Or perhaps he is merely narcoleptic. Sod it, I can't take any more of this, I'm going to sleep.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nogrod was happy for the short guy's proposition. The air was fresher by the pool and he could sense the sight of the setting sun tranquilling some of the fear from upon all of the outlaws gathered there. For a while he just breathed the cooling evening air but as the discussion seemed to have gotten to a halt yet again he opened his mouth once more.

"Your idea to come out here was a good one Shortie but I'm not sure your half-formed suspicion - as you called it - on the Grandma' here is as good. Indeed she's doing the only reasonable thing here we can do and that is to point to others and possible reasons for why we should take a closer look on someone... Indeed I see you yourself doing the same thing which is good. But hardly a reason to suspect someone else doing the exact same thing, right?"

Nogrod glanced around the pool. He was not sure whether the people were sleeping or just deep in their thoughts. Finally his eyes caught Rikae. So I'm a young man then? Has she got trouble with her eyesight or in her wits? He laughed to himself quietly but then addressed the Grandma'.

"Tell me Rikae, whom did you mean by the "that one" when you mentioned "these slugs" we should look more closely? Had you something particular in mind or was it just vain talk? I mean I do appreaciate your short characterisations of some people here and do indeed agree with them but empty pointing is not something I'm very fond of. It kind of feels the wrong way."

EDIT: Adding this as I saw tgwbs's post

"And what comes to your vote short-guy, I'm inclined to say I do appereciate it at least now before I give it some more thought. I just need to think about it for a second"
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #24
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
After being dragged to the water and being nudged with a staff violently and repeatedly, Macalaure finally escaped the grasp of work... erm... sleep. He rose himself and had somebody tell him what has been said and done, while the Sun had been journeying on her paths, and he was not too pleased with what he heard. Critical eyes could be seen under his dark cloak of weathered leather as he spoke to the outlaws.

"Sleep I suffered myself, so I shall not judge those who suffered the same, or still do, at least not yet. But, I ask you, does that excuse the manner in which our curséd company deals with its pressing peril when awake? I think not.

Let us no longer offer the obvious, or jest our time away, or condemn companions by causes contrived of questionable content. Most of you have made an ill-favoured impression on me so far, most notably Shasta, who, like others have observed as well, does not practice what he preaches, and Rikae, who made aggressive accusations based on evasive evidence, possibly stated to see if someone bites."

Exhausted by his elaborations and annoying alliterations, Macalaure laid back on the leaves and proceeded on his productive napping.

(edit: crossed with Guy and Nogrod)
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Yes, I do appreciate your choice guy. If and when we need to flip a coin on one Day or another I say we flip it toDay and/or toMorrow rather than later for then it will be much harder and were susceptible to make foolish decisions then.

What I've heard of this Macalaure speaks good for him and I would like to leave him out of our discussion at least for toDay while I also hope he will eventually wake up yet toDay and speak for himself. That would leave me firstly Xyzzy and Isabell to choose from right now. Naturally that is in case they don't wake up before the Night comes. And I do hope they do wake up as that is the only way to even try to quess on them with something else but pure luck...

Of those spoken toDay I'm inclined to keep my eye on these young men Shasta and Gil - not forgetting the very softly and carefully spoken Brinn and Lhuna either. This doesn't mean I'm in anyway confident with your innocence Rikae and guy but this far I can see you making at least a partial effort and that's enough for me for the time being."

With that Nogrod fell silent but in his head he started remembering everything that had been said that Day. And he started thinking about it...

(EDIT: X'd with Mac so forgive me the incoherence with the Mac not posting yet -stuff...)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Dropping off to sleep in spite of herself, Lhuna was awakened at the mention of her name. She listened well to Nogrod, and shook her head almost imperceptibly when he ended. Rash, she thought, too quick to shed blood that by all means could be innocent. I do not blame him his frustration, but he should not have expressed it so. And she decided to keep an eye on him from then on.

Next came the voice of an old woman, who soon handed her a comb. She received it without thanks, doubtful that it would do her good, and began to work on her hair quietly. As they moved to the pool outside she persevered, sometimes almost breaking the comb in two, but all the while she listened carefully to what was being said.

Soon, when the state of her hair was undoubtedly more dignified than it had been minutes - hours? - before, Lhuna handed over the comb to the old woman Rikae.

"I thank thee," she told her, "for this favor, and for expressing fearlessly your observations. The latter is possibly a sign of your innocence. But I will not be too quick to judge that for certain, for a lot more remains to be seen.

"I feel rather uncomfortable with tgwbs's vote - I would rather he chose one among those who have already spoken. Rather hasty, it seems to me, and safe, for in the event that xyzzy is killed and found innocent, he could hardly be blamed for playing a crucial role in it."

She turned and frowned at the dozing Macalaure, saying, "If you do not like what we speak, then you could have demonstrated for us what you think is right. But your defensive tone this early in our discussion is suspicious, and not worth mimicking. You ought to be observed more carefully."

Lhuna sat, stroking her hair, and pondered on the words spoken throughout the Day. For reason unexplainable, as though a part of her lived in a place where it is already dark, the desire for sleep was to her overwhelming, and she desired to cast her vote before finally succumbing to it.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 06-27-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: removing siggie - sorry Legate!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #27
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Suddenly Nogrod stood up. He had been thinking and trying to remember what had been said and done earlier the Day when the thought came to him. It was a tough question.

"Listen now. I just remember a curse that has befallen on many villages that have been infected by werewolves... Yes, I'm old enough to have heard a host of these stories."

With that he glanced at Rikae and smiled.

"There seems to be a curse in most of the villages that those who do not take part in discussions or make their votes will be dead after two Days have passed. Now what shall we do with this knowledge?

If those that have been silent this far will remain silent and sleep all the Days, they will die toMorrow evening anyway. If they're innocents their deaths will be a big blow to our numbers as we keep lynching people all the time as well and the wolves will not kill one of their own either. So wouldn't it be reasonable for us to indeed lynch the quiets for this reason as well? If and when we risk lynching an innocent anyhow why shouldn't we start with those who may be dead without our or the wolves aid in the first place? That way we maximise our numbers to the Days to come..."

Nogrod looked around him. No one seemed to be in haste to answer his question.

"Please consider this. I myself have no "case" against anyone in particular right now but have a thought or two on all of you and will be voicing them soon. And Lhuna, please tell me why do you think guy should have voted for someone who has contributed something toDay? Do you try to say that everyone who feels like not posting anything should be given a free ride? I must say I disagree with your logic here."
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #28
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Rikae looked down her nose at Guy.
"Certainly, we should not be decieved by appearances. Anyone, no matter how old, young, or short, could be more than they seem. But I don't think it's productive to dwell on this; nor to speculate about voting for those who have not spoken, when they still may wake. Such things distract us from analysing those who have; a wolf may be among the silent, but it is unlikely, I think, that Xyzzy and Izzy are both wolves.
Macalaure may call my evidence "evasive", but it is no more so than his. Still, his delightful diction and enthralling eloquence incline me to be fond of his innocence, at least for now.
I am truly uneasy about Shasta, and would like to hear more from him before the day is over. Some have mentioned carefully analysing WHAT is said, but it seems to me that it is far more useful to try and discern the intent behind the words. Shasta, Gil and Brinn seemed, to varying degrees, to post with the intent of avoiding suspicion, while the others seem to intend, at least somewhat, to actually analyse the situation. Guy, though he hasn't really added much sense to the discussion, seems to be interested in stirring things up, which might speak in his favor.
If I were forced to vote now, it would probably be for Shasta; but if the sleepers sleep on until sunset, I may join Guy in his vote for Xyzzy."

EDIT: Crossed with Lhuna & Nogrod
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mithalwen entered at last bearing such foodstuffs as she had been able to find. Her name signified Grey Tree and it suited her well for she was tall and grey clad but her face now was grey with fatigue and forboding.

"Here take what I have foraged. The day has been long and wearisome, for you as for I. " She sat down and perceiving the direction of their discussion spoke again.

"I will not pass judgement when I have not borne witness to your deliberations. Unless it be my doom not to survive this night, I shall give what assistance I may. But now sleep claims me, alas" .

With that the woman wrapped herself in her cloak and fell at once in to a deep sleep, almost as if she had swooned.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #30
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Macalaure opened one eye, once more worried about the course that events had taken. He decided it was time for him to speak up.

"I'm uncomfortable with the amount of debate which is dedicated to whether or not we should lynch people who did not speak yet. If we do not find anybody worth lynching by the end of the day, then maybe it is a course to choose. But instead of spending our time debating it, we should rather debate, with the little evidence we have, who among us could be a wolf. This may render the previous problem redundant.

Like Lhuna, I don't particularly appreciate Guy's vote. I also hold Nogrod's latest contributions slightly suspicious, because it encourages a debate which I think won't do us any good.

I find it interesting that Rikae calls my evidence against her evasive instead of explaining why her own isn't. I didn't say, for example, that Lhuna speaks sense, but needs to be watched closely. Then again, the rest of Rikae's recent speech looks a lot better than this particular part."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nogrod looked at Macalaure and then addressed the people around the pool.

“I hope you Mac are satisfied of what I'm about to say as that last one was just a thought that crossed my mind and I thought it important to voice it - and I still think that is something we should ponder about. But I have been indeed occupied with what you said we need to do ie. trying to figure out our wolves. Here's some of my first thoughts. I'll give you more after a while.

Of those who have spoken toDay I find the most unhelpful Gil, Shasta and Brinninel. You know the young guys, when have they ever been of any help to anyone?”

With this Nogrod smiled but went serious soon enough to continue.

“I don’t wish to fall into the semantics here between terms like “contributing” or “helpful” or “silent”. I hope you understand what I mean. As a famous philosopher from the days to come said: if you’re not with us you’re against us... If they’re not going to put more effort in I’m all for lynching them sooner than later.

With Gil there is the joking that admittedly feels somewhat fabricated. But quite nothing more. Is he indeed participating? I would be ready to consider him as a non-talker up to this moment. I hope he will open his mouth yet again and say something for a change.

With Shasta there is something more I think. Even though he has spent most of the time joking easily with Gil he has said and done something that bothers me. It’s not only that he first tries to give an impression of a hero to guard us all and then later is afraid of sleeping people in the middle of a Day. This might be explained by psychological pressure, the demand to lie and to make oneself survive in hostile envirovement might produce, surely. But there is also this comment he made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
We ought to make very sure that we're executing a werewolf, because we don't have very many chances at this ...
Now to me this sounds like saying let’s lynch people who speak a lot and let’s forget the quiet ones like himself – and possibly his mate. Anyhow I think he overstresses our plight. We have a few Days to get it right and every speaker is one we can analyse and catch unlike those who do not contribute and with whom we just have to throw a coin. I don’t like the general way he has acted and spoken toDay.

With Brinn there is the carefulness. I’d say overplayed one. It is interesting that he says he’s not normally the one who talks but likes to stay in silence (a parasite, that is?) but now wishes to speak up... and what does he say? Nothing. The only thing he kind of said was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
We may outnumber the wolves now, but one by one they will pick us off. It is important that we find a strategy on how to capture them, and we must have a plan before the day is over.
This is not something I would agree on. As has been known on so many occasions any general agreements are places to hide for the wolves and anyhow his way of speaking of the urgency of doing things and his own lack of commitment seem to contradict each other. So trying to look helpful while laying low as a safety-measure?

I'll soon come up with some further views."

With that Nogrod closed his eyes and went back to thinking.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #32
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Brinn took a large bite from the bread Nogrod had given him, and as he chewed, he remained deep in thought over the things the others had to say. It satisfied him that at least they had finally spoken up. He finished and swallowing, wiping his dirty hands on his trousers.

"Now this whole discussion on whether to lynch one of the quiet ones I find rather interesting, not to mention a bit odd. Only two of us now have not spoken, and while I agree it is quite possible one of them is a wolf and we cannot simply ignore them, I do not think it is a good idea to jump on one of them on this first Day. We must give them another chance to speak before attacking them when they cannot defend themselves. Anyways, I feel confident saying that I am sure at least one wolf is indeed among those of us who do speak, and I think for toDay it would be smarter to base our votes on what has been said, not what has not been said."

Brinn leaned back, folding his arms.

"Now tgwbs's quick vote on xyzzy I do not like. He votes for him because he still slumbers, but on the hour of that vote, dusk was still a long ways away and even still xyzzy still has an opportunity to awaken and speak up before Night approaches. Neither do I appreciate his jump on my appearance alone to judge the chances of whether I am a wolf. To me, his behaviour seems most suspicious.

"Gil-Galad's constant use of insults without any useful contribution to the discussion I highly dislike as well, but I suppose this could just possibly be due to immaturity rather than wolfishness."

And then Brinn was once again silent, for he had nothing else to say for the time being. Sitting in the shadows, he bit his nails waiting to hear more comments and responses.

EDIT: X-ed with Nogrod
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #33
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

A yawn escaped from Lhuna's lips before she could stifle it.

"I can feel sleep nearly claiming me, so excuse me if I sound hurried. Nogrod, I must admit I feel rather uneasy to shed blood in this occasion, only due to the fact that we don't know friend from foe. Should the circumstance be otherwise I would not hesitate, but now, as I said earlier, each life we claim is more likely to be from our side than the enemy's. That is why I do not think it is right that we think of killing our companions before we hear them speak - who knew if they had excellent reasons to be yet asleep, and we end up losing a worthy comrade in our rashness?

"All your eagerness in lynching those asleep, Nogrod, makes me feel wary of you. If I didn't know respect, I would accuse you of having among those who have spoken very little a companion during the Night. But your old age gives you wisdom, and from that we could benefit for now.

"Now from what I've heard toDay I find these people...questionable:

Brinn - few words of little significance, without even following them up. Granted, Rikae had a point in saying that it is tough to break the ice, but I feel a certain hesitance on his part beyond this explanation.

Gil - again, he's too glib to be in this serious situation we are now in. But a voice in my head says that this is how he normally is, and it would be foolish to kill him for this reason alone. He bears close watching in the next Days, though.

Shasta - volunteering to stay up and sleeping on the job, huh? But I sense in him a mix of being happy-go-lucky and careful at the same time - the perfect combination for wolf behaviour. Careful not to slip, but not too guarded to be found suspicious. Unfortunately, I do suspect him.

Macalaure - as I said a while ago, it was too early for him to defend himself by subtly attacking those who expressed suspicion of him. I find this very disquieting.

I shall be casting my vote in a short while."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #34
Gil-Galad

Gil looked around after hearing the comments about him

"come on now lads, the last thing we need is for us to accuse everyone! we are getting no where with that. no TGWBS, your first words of the day is going straight for Xxyzy... who has remained quiet the whole time... very strange indeed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel

"Gil-Galad's constant use of insults without any useful contribution to the discussion I highly dislike as well, but I suppose this could just possibly be due to immaturity rather than wolfishness."
"now my dear brinni, your breaking my heart here. immaturity is quite harsh words, and with the day beginning, what contribution can i provide? you need evidence to have a point in a discussion? with only nogrod speaking what am i to do? to imemdiately accuse him of being a wolf AND our heroes? brinni, first thing you must do is read your own words before you say them then you can be helpful"

Gil grabbed a loaf of bread and some brries and began nibbling on them

"but for now, i think we best be looking at shasta over there, he is trying to hard to relay the seriousness of this situation, if we concentrate to hard on a certain trait, if you will, then these wolfs can slip behind us and take us from behind

Quote:
We ought to make very sure that we're executing a werewolf, because we don't have very many chances at this ...
"now i am trying to have a light-hearted attitude at this... but i do know this peril is serious and will cost us our lives, but let us make sure and go over every possibility and remember how some words can be more harsh then you intend them to be and it will land you in a dark pit"

"in conclusion, ++Shasta, rest in peace my lad, though for the first couple of days, many innocents will probably be lost..."

EDIT: xed with Lhuna
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #35
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Time to start sorting things out, Macalaure thought to himself and started to talk - to himself, apparently.

"Rikae is switching from red to green and back. My feelings about her are mixed, which is not enough for me to vote her, as everybody will surely understand...

About Shasta more and more good points are raised. He's the one most likely to receive my vote right now.

After his recent speech, I'm about to declare Nogrod innocent.

I, too, find Brinn's first post a little too careful. Except for his suspicion of Gil, and mine of Rikae, his last post is almost about the same topics as mine (lynching the silent, Guy's vote), which I find strangely strange.

Of Lhuna I have no definite idea, but she feels more on the innocent side right now.

I don't know why so many of the people are suspicious of Gil. I'm fine with him.

Guy is somebody I shall look at closely tomorrow.

Of Isabellkya, xyzzy and Mith I cannot say anything."
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

"Lhuna’s way of speaking I tend to trust at the moment. She seems to be independent from others’ point of views – remember the wolves need to be liked and thence tend to be the most agreeable ones. I do disagree with her about the best code of conduct for us right now but I feel she is stating her points innocently, not maliciously. Her point on guy is fair even if I disagree with the basis of it and the one on Macalaure was sharp and to the point. I’m not going to vote her toDay unless some miracles happen.

Rikae is another one I feel pretty good at the moment. Her first speech was reasonable and she did what an innocent one should do ie. telling her mind openly and laying some suspicion around to see what happens and to open the situation in the first place. Her later discussion about the intent and content I found reasonable as well – and genuine sounding. She’s another one I wouldn’t like to vote toDay.

Tgwbs I have mixed feelings about. He seems to act and speak like a decent person – and agrees with me to be sure... – but there is something that doesn’t quite sit right with me. First of all he has been a bit too friendly to me like trying to gain a feel-good –factor with me. Secondly he also contradicts himself as he first said we
“cannot afford to wait: we must decide who the wolves are, and slay them swiftly”
and then he goes on with this lynching the quiets just to be sure... even if he clothes it under the vestige of:
“I shall declare he who I believe to be guilty of wolvery”
and giving ridiculous reasons for it:
"his sleepiness is a result of wolvery. Tiring himself with murder by night, he requires the day to sleep it away”.
If I wouldn’t like to get the non-contributors out of the way he would be one of my top suspects right now. And he is. But I will listen to you others as well before voting as we only can lynch one and throwing one’s vote away too easily is stupid (with retrackies or not).

Macalaure I feel strange right now. His first speech was far less I would have waited from him. Kind of in the middle of the road being nice and trying to sound reasonable without actually saying anything, eg.:
“Let us no longer offer the obvious, or jest our time away, or condemn companions by causes contrived of questionable content”
and sticking to the obvious suspects like Shasta and Rikae who had been a bit bold just a moment before him. In his second speech he kind of suspects people who are not full-time analysing others who have spoken but doesn’t contribute a lot himself either in that cause. I’d hate to lose an innocent Macalaure toDay and as I don’t have more on him I will not vote him either toDay... unless the miracles.

I need to bring myself up to date with everythnig that has passed meanwhile as I see Brinn, Gil, Lhuna and Mac have spoken yet more.”

Nogrod picked his pipe and started cleaning it and fell down to his thoughts.

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-27-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: adding the parentheses to the beginning to make the post look like a speech...
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #37
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhuna was torn between two choices and wished to hear more from them, but her eyes were too heavy and could no longer remain open. She scrambled over to the sand, and wrote on it with her forefinger:

++MACALAURE

and shuffled back inside the house to sleep unhindered.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Suddenly Nogrod stood up again. His eyes were startled.

"The Day is ending soon and we need to make a decision. Let's consider our choices together. If Xyzzy and Isabell are not going to show up the curse will take them in the end of toMorrow. If they are innocents it will be a mighty blow to our numbers. We might reduce that shock by lynching one of them ourselves if we don't have a strong belief we have an actual more talkative wolf in our hands toDay.

Just consider this. This is a bit too sleepy place anyway and the talkers can be analysed unlike the people in the shadows.

Of the others I'd think Gil to be more on the innocent side but might go with Shasta or Brinn or tgwbs - albeit less eagerly than with the silent ones."

WIth that Nogrod lit his pipe he had been filling while he spoke and sat down, puffing rings from the smoke and looking sternly at the others around the pool.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Nogrod opened his left eye and glanced around him.

"Xyzzy, Shasta and Mac now have one vote each... and if Isabell and Xyzzy will stay asleep there will be five votes left - if Mith is withholding her vote. So all the possibilities are open. Please speak of your feelings and do not hide."
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #40
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae had been nodding in the shade of a maple tree. At the sound of her name, she looked up with a twinkle in her eye.

"Macalaure, I hope you're not refraining from voicing your suspicions out of chivalry! I can handle your accusations, dear boy."

The sun touched the horizon, and cast a golden light which illuminated the hill behind them with an unexpectedly beautiful radiance.

"I suppose we are running out of time, then. I can actually see some sense in Lhuna's words about Mac, and in Nogrod's about Brinn; but for me the most suspicious outlaw remains Shasta. There is one doubt in my mind; that is, the fact that he seems a little too popular a lynchee, and obvious votes on Day One so frequently go awry - but for lack of a better choice, I vote:
++Shasta"

EDIT: X'd with both of Nogrod's posts