The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #41
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Would also like to add the first 'Beastmaster' movie to the list.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #42
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Blade Runner -- a dark fantasy of the future. Incredible vision of multi-cultural street life and language, urban milieu, man's moral vision in a technological world.

Logan's Run -- a classic Speculative Fiction, which includes both fantasy and the old sci-fi

Silent Running -- another speculative classic. I love the card game with the robots and the line about not playing for three in one oil.

But I have a question: Is it possible for a movie to be based on a book which is clearly classified as fantasy and yet not be classed as a fantasy movie?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #43
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I love Star Wars. Matrix is pretty cool sometimes. Willow was a lot of fun. My friends make fun of me but I like the Harry Potter movies too. I like most fantasy/sci fi stuff. Made up worlds are always so much better.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #44
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of dor-lomin
Made up worlds are always so much better.
Why? Is it an escapism thing (you want to watch a movie that takes you away from this world for a while) or is it that you're familiar/comfortable/knowledgeable regarding the genre?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #45
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

It's an "escapism thing". After rubbing elbows with rude morons all day it is wonderful to spend some time with Aragorn, Gandalf, and others who are polite and intelligent.

Plus, castles and such beat office buildings any day.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #46
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
It's an "escapism thing". After rubbing elbows with rude morons all day it is wonderful to spend some time with Aragorn, Gandalf, and others who are polite and intelligent.

Plus, castles and such beat office buildings any day.
Agreed. In LOTR everything seems clean, clear, concise and unless your'e Boromir, things go quite well.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #47
Mumak o' Harad
Pile O'Bones

Mumak o' Harad has just left Hobbiton.
Star Wars;
Blade Runner;
Heavy Metal;
Indiana Jones (all of them);
Final Fantasy;
Krull;
Mumak o' Harad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #48
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
My friends make fun of me but I like the Harry Potter movies too. I like most fantasy/sci fi stuff. Made up worlds are always so much better.
Don't let your friends make fun of you for liking the Harry Potter films! They are decent films, and you can tell them that they star some of the greatest British actors giving great performances. I like them anyway. Good fun.

But my favourite two films are about as far away from fantasy as you can get: Whistle Down The Wind and Mike Leigh's Naked. Both very grey and grainy, and the latter also incredibly negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
But I have a question: Is it possible for a movie to be based on a book which is clearly classified as fantasy and yet not be classed as a fantasy movie?
I've been pondering this one, and I had come up with Gormenghast, as it didn't seem that the BBC adaptation was marketed as being fantasy at all, more of a curious, slightly 'baroque' costume drama. But then, is the novel a fantasy at all? Or is it more gothic? And indeed, are many things which are classed as 'gothic' actually fantasy?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #49
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
They are decent films, and you can tell them that they star some of the greatest British actors giving great performances.
Well, Alan Rickman is in them, and he's one of my old-man crushes. So HP is just dandy by me, even if they didn't live up to the books.

Has anyone ever seen Ed Wood's sci-fi movies? They're positively awful and I love them dearly.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:11 AM   #50
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No, but I did see Ed Wood (the Johnny Depp film) which gave me a pretty good handle on the man and his work...
On a similar note, would we classify Edward Scissorhands as fantasy?

I'm not sure btw if Robin Hood strictly counts, in that he may actually have existed and he is set in history rather than fantasy. If Robin is fantasy, then surely Pirates of the Caribbean, Three Musketeers or any adventure/action film, also counts?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #51
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Besides LotR, which is the best there are a few that i enjoy watching.

Star Wars
The Chronicles of Narnia (they werent very good, and i am now awaiting the arival of the new ones which are supposed to be as good as, or up to par with LotR)
Harry Potter
Monty Python and the Holy Grail was great. it was so hilarious

I am also awaiting the arival of HHGTTG. i am in the process of reading the books and i love them. i can only imagine how the movies will be.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #52
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Of course, Doctor Who returns to the BBC at the end of March! *excited!* We are promised a new, darker style of Doctor, amazing special effects (no wonky sets), and the answer to how the daleks get up stairs! I just hope they have a regneration scene at the beginning to make it all 'proper'. I already have a cushion prepared to hide behind in case they have the cybermen.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #53
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Lalwendë, I too was always more terrified of the Cybermen. I had been meaning to comment on your signature
I have great hopes for Christopher Ecclestone, he is a very talented actor (I'm reserving judgement on Billie Piper, until I've seen her!)
Apparently, The Doctor is going to have a Mancunian accent, as according to Mr Ecclestone 'Other planets have a North too!!'
It will be just like the old days...Saturday teatimes will be pure bliss
Old 04-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #54
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is easily the funniest movie ever.
Aside from that, I always like Dungeons and Dragons (even though the movie is a lot less interesting than the game) and Harry Potter. And of course the Princess Bride.

I don't know if this is counted as fantasy or not...but I loooved Timeline. Maybe it's more sci-fi, but I figure time travel is fantasy. And it was a really good movie.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #55
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is not just the funniest movie ever, it is the greatest movie ever.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #56
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I think you all know what i've seen about 50 billion times that's fantasy and non-lotr...

Labyrinth. Of course! Designed by Brain Froud, from the eighties, dancing goblins, and David Bowie in tights... What could be better?

Next, are some that I also find wonderful, but not as great...

Legend. I really don't know about this one. It was okay, but really didn't stike a cord of amazement with me... The castle was awsomely designed though, i'll have to give it that...

Princess Bride. This was funny beyond belief! Equal amount of charm and humor make a wonderful romance. Or, straight from the source itself : 'True Love...'

There's another, but i've completely lost the name. I'll give you the plot and theme, that which I do remember and if anyone could tell me it would be much thanked. So, it goes along like this: There is this family, and the mother has passed (died). So now, as with any movie family, the dad now both has mother and father roles. There are three children, two girls and one boy. The eldest is an adolencent girl, the second oldest is a girl about 10, and the youngest is a boy around 8. The mother was an artist, who would paint pictures of some fantasy realm that she could see. The middle child, really believes in her mother's paintings more than the rest of her family. So, I think they all go to sleep one night and wake up or end up in this world that the mother painted. They end up having to go on this adventure of some sort, and first stop by at a faery part of the realm. They meet the lady and lord of the fae, which the lady is really, really blue from head to foot. The lord looks like the green man and has a temperment like Gimli. The lady on the other hand, is really kind and patient and tells them they have to find something and bring it back for them. It has some connection with the mother of the family. So, they end up in a boat with a bunch of gnomes or some other group of creatures, sailing to some place. They meet up with a medusa-like woman who lives in the building. The dad ends up gaining her trust and they take her on the ship, she somehow can help them. Also, the dad makes these really cool red shaded glasses for her to wear so she won't turn them to stone.

So, they travel some more and of course, some other part of the realm wants to stop them from getting this orb-like things, I think they were Goblins that wanted to stop them. All that I can remember from this point is that the opposing goblins almost find the orbs, and try to sink their ship, but the eldest daughter does some dance-charm thing and counter's their attack. They end up bringing them back, everything turns out great, their happy again, ect...

If anyone finds this familiar, or might know the name of the movie they think this is from, it would be great if you could tell me. Thanks.

~ Copyrighted Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #57
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
A Knight's Tale!!! Booya!
~EF

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote