The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2002, 03:11 PM   #41
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I was really creeped out be the Marshes *shudders* I can't wait to see how they do it in the film though.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 03:28 PM   #42
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My brother (what a nice guy [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) recently purchased "A Guide to Middle Earth" by David Day for me, and it has an (to my knowledge) accurate description of the Watcher in the Water. After reading this, I made the mistake of trying to picture it. Ewwwwwwwww.

Kraken
Quote:
According to the most ancient tales, Melkor, that most evil of powers, in his kingdom of Utumno in Middle Earth bred many terrible creatures for which there are no names in the Time of Darkness before Varda rekindled the stars. In the following ages these creatures were a bane on land and in dark waters to those who lived peacefully in the World.

Some of these beings of Melkor's survived below the thunders of the deep far beneath the abysmal seas in ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep even into the Third Age of the Sun. The "Red Book of Westmarch" tells that when a firey Balrog was loosed in the Dwarf-kingdom of Moria, another being came out from the dark waters that lay beneath the great mountains. This was a great Kraken, many tentacled and with a slimy sheen. It was luminous and green and an inky stench came from it's foul bulk. Like a legion of serpents it lay in the black water beneath the mountain. Eventually it came to the clear water of the River Sirannon, which flowed from the West Gate of Moria. There it built a great wall in the river bed and made for itself a black pool, hideous and still. The Kraken was guardian of the West Gate and none could pass without challenge. For this reason, in the "Book of Marzarbul" it was named "Watcher in the Water". During the quest, this evil being was awakened by the Fellowship of the Ring, who managed to escape into Moria.

Whew. Specifically Boromir awakened it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #43
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hey! No worries, mellonamin (my friend), for I am only 14 as well! And do not worry: I have a friend who had to leave in the movie when the Nazgul came on...and did not come back for 20 minutes...my friend and I yelled at him SO much...Oh well...enjoy the site! As you can see, I am a "Recently Deceased" as well!
Old 03-12-2002, 06:39 PM   #44
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Things that scared me:

-Orcs catapulting heads (that took me completely off guard!)

-The Dead Marshes

-The Barrow-Downs

-Denethor's death

-The mutilation of Thrór in Appendix A

-The attack on the Fellowship in Moria

-Pippin and the Palantír

Also, Saruman talking about Lotho's murder really got to me, especially the bit when he says to the affect of "I hope Wormtongue buried him, but he's been hungry lately." I know this was most likely just sick humor, but ick! And I can't imagine anyone actually killing a poor, defensless hobbit in its sleep. Wormtongue gives me the creeps.

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 03-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #45
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
shelob scared me too---never did like marilyn manson...

---------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse
Old 03-14-2002, 03:25 PM   #46
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Lol! Marilyn Manson! SOOOOOOOO funny! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:35 PM   #47
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

first of all - what's the connection between shelob *shudder* and marilyn manson *shudder*? sorry for being slightly dim [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And now, after reading through all the replies, safe to say i'm feeling just a bit squeamish [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
And apart from severed heads, giant spiders and orcs, i was terrified all the way through Mordor. Wanted to crawl under a big stone and hide. Or a small stone. Cos i really felt that tall -->*holds two fingers about three inches apart*

I read a little clip somewhere, Elijah saying that he used to look over his shoulder sometimes, in case there was orcs following him *eek* [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Have an image (I get a lot of that :P) of us folks creeping through Mordor behind Sam and Frodo, clinging to each other, looking around fearfully and armed with bows, swords, knives etc... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2002, 08:19 PM   #48
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

Quote:
first of all - what's the connection between shelob *shudder* and marilyn manson *shudder*? sorry for being slightly dim
seriously, what IS the connection? I don't get it either... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:21 PM   #49
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not easily frightened. I LOVE the Nazgûl (well, most evil things actually...) [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Though there is ONE thing in the movie that creeps me out every time I see it: Frodo's eyes. Oh, I can't stand them. (Sorry to all Frodo lovers).
Old 03-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #50
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Maikadilwen, I agree with you about Frodo's eyes! Creepy! The worst thing is, my friend can do a really great impression of them so when ever I turn around to look at her she does Frodo eyes at me! Argh! lol! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #51
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

erm, why do you think Frodo's eyes are scary? I think his eyes are big and blue and beautiful, if you want ot know the truth! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Besdies, he's not an evil character, so why would his eyes ever be scary? i just don't understand....i think elijah wood has the most amazing eyes [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Jessica Jade ]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:00 PM   #52
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only time I think Elijah's eyes are creepy is when he's been stabbed by the Nazgûl and he's struggling against becoming a wraith. Other than that, I think his eyes are beautiful [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:10 PM   #53
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
my friend can do a really great impression of them so when ever I turn around to look at her she does Frodo eyes at me!
Oh no. I feel SO sorry for you.
They're just..... just.... argh, they're just too big and too blue and too..... happy???? And scary. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #54
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the Dead Marshes was what frightened me most,the balrog didn't really scare me but I was merely shocked it took Gandalf with it.Mordor was quite frightening though,but Shelob really didn't freak me out
Old 03-24-2003, 12:58 PM   #55
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just can't believe that not everyone found the Nazgul most frightening! For me, nothing compares them. When I was reading about them (at night...), I was so scared, I almost couldn't look out of my window. I was sure I would see a black shape in the shadows!
And same thing when I came from the movies - I kept watching over my shoulder and thought I heard their (or their horse's?) voices...
I guess it's the fact that they are nor living nor dead that makes them so scary. To be dragged to their "nothingness" would definitely be worse than death!
I think Shelob and the Orcs were only gross, not really scary... (even if I am really arachnofobic!)
And the ring of course. Not really scary, but so evil...(By the way, when I made a test "Which of the bad guys are you?" I was...THE RING! Wonder what that means... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
Old 03-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #56
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

In the books, there were very many places which I thought were scary, but....in a weird and twisted way. It was pleasant that they were scary. I don't know why. The one I thought was just gruesome was Shelob. And possibly one of the things with the spiders in the Hobbit when Bilbo is piercing it and JRRT just describes how....*shudders* ugh... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #57
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

oooo i agree with the head catapulting thing, that was just kinda...what's the word..gruesome? i dont know it just freaked me out!
Old 03-30-2003, 02:00 AM   #58
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I personally LOVE spiders, so I'd be more amazed by Shelob more than anything. And yes, I'm nuts! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The one thing in the movie that scared the CRAP out of me was the dead marshes, especially when that particular elf opened his eyes... /shudder

That, and Denethor's suicide... Gods, that is so disturbing I can't describe it...
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:27 AM   #59
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Whoa, an opinion thread that survived in the depths of the Books forum - now that is scary! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Time to move this to the Novices and Newcomers forum...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #60
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the movies, I thought the Balrog and the cavetroll were really frightening. In the books, it was the ringwraiths that gave me the creeps. Maybe it's just me, but things seem to be even more menacing when you read them. Maybe it's the fact that I have problems putting faces on characters, so all the characters are very mysterious, especially the evil ones. When you see them defined for you on the screen, it kinda takes away from the intensity of fear I have when I read about them.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:10 AM   #61
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with most things:
eg. severed heads, thrors death, denethor, Frodo's ringwraith eyes (*shudders*)

but I found Boromir's whole, turning against Frodo thing kinda creepy, because in my opinion he started out to be one of the strongest and noblest characters. Just proves that you just can't trust some people...
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:48 AM   #62
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yea, those Watchers give me the creeps, even though the the Orcs are hideous!