The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #841
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Beleg met them when he was looking for Túrin?

...Easier one? You are evil
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #842
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1) I'm not evil
2) that's true
3) it is not the answer I was looking for

Surely Beleg met other people as well, when looking for Túrin - like the rest of Túrin's men for example.

Keep guessing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #843
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
1) No, you ARE evil
2) I knew it
3) I knew it!

Alrighty, what about the fact that they both suffered a mortal wound when there was only one mighty hero around who survived? (I know, somewhat complicated but also true.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #844
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

No, even though it's related to that fact.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #845
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Four things: D, G, N, O, and R.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-11-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #846
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well I don't know. Túrin was always captured (or "captured") shortly after they died. Or he changed his name short time after that. Or is it more focused on them personally and not having too much in common with Túrin?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #847
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I might be slow today, but I'm afraid I don't get what you're saying, Gwath.

Legate - no and no, like you suspected, it has less to do with Túrin (even though part of the answer is related to him).
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #848
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Something like that they were the most brave in the battle when a place Túrin was hiding in was destroyed?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #849
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

No...

Ok, I'll take my words about being evil back, for the combination Legate + confused smiley + Quiz Room made me laugh.

Anyway, Legate's second guess remains the one that is closest to what I'm thinking about.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #850
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay. Let me see. Andróg saves Beleg before he dies, but Gwindor does not save anyone before he dies, quite the opposite, Túrin carries him out of the battle. Technically, Andróg saves Beleg and Gwindor saves Túrin, but that's kinda strange and does not seem much as "in common" - well, at maximum I could say "they saved a hero". I really can't think of anything else.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #851
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Now, first off, I managed to misread the part of the story from CoH that is about the answer (or part of it) so the answer I had in mind is not actually true.

This might make everything confusing, but I can and I will alter the answer, but then it needs stretching a little. If I do it, it actually means that Legate is very very close to the answer with his latest guess.

Yes, Andróg saves Beleg and we could say that Gwindor saves Túrin. That is the part of the answer you got absolutely right. However, that itself doesn't form a connection between the two. And "they both saved a hero", as true as it is, is not original enough. (After all, there are loads of people saving heroes in Tolkien's works.)
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #852
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Is it, like, some details? Like, that they both saved a hero who was in bonds, cut off his bonds or something like that? Or something else, like, some events that occured at that time? I don't know what you are looking for (once again, )
Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #853
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Is it, like, some details? Like, that they both saved a hero who was in bonds, cut off his bonds or something like that? Or something else, like, some events that occured at that time?
I'd rather make this easy than difficult and complicated, so I can tell you it has something to do with their relationship with the one they saved.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #854
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, they saved someone whom they have seen as an "enemy". But in Andróg's case, Beleg was his "enemy" earlier, while Gwindor was Túrin's "enemy" later.

EDIT: or maybe "jealous" is the word?

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-11-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #855
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Well done!

I accept that answer. I was thinking that they saved someone who was their rival for someone's love/ attentions/ regard, but that is very close to your answer as there certainly is the jealousy-aspect.

The thing that I originally had in mind was that their rival tried to save them right before they died, but then, a while ago, I discovered this was not true in Andróg's case (unless you're stretching a lot). So I changed it to that what you said, although it makes the timeline-thing a little illogical. I'm not content with myself .

Anyway, like I said, that is the correct answer, so Legate, please take the thread.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #856
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That happens

Okay, now what the heck am I supposed to post as a question?

What about this, in hope not to be too vague:

What do Boromir and the Nazgul have in common?

And to avoid confusion, I could add that right now I cannot think of anyone else who would have that thing common with them (and I really hope I am not mistaken so that I'm not confusing you, but I'd say you can take for granted now that it's right. If it's wrong it will show sooner or later ).

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-11-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #857
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I might be slow today, but I'm afraid I don't get what you're saying, Gwath.
I reread my post, and it really didn't make any sense. At all.

Regarding Boromir and the Nazgul: both tried UNSUCCESSFULLY to take the Ring from Frodo.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #858
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That's a good one, but not the thing I had in mind. One could say, technically, that they did not want to take the Ring, but Frodo as a whole (Ring included). Anyway, I want to say that I wanted another answer. Keep trying.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #859
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

They lost their horses while crossing a river?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #860
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Very good! That's what I was looking for. Lommy, you may continue the thread.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #861
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

What do Faramir and Sam have in common?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #862
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hm, the first thing I thought about is that they are the "second in rank" after a hero, you know what I mean? Boromir -> Faramir, Frodo -> Sam. Though it hardly is what you have in mind. Maybe the fact that they both did not like that Gollum accompanied Frodo?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #863
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Hm, the first thing I thought about is that they are the "second in rank" after a hero, you know what I mean? Boromir -> Faramir, Frodo -> Sam. Though it hardly is what you have in mind. Maybe the fact that they both did not like that Gollum accompanied Frodo?
Yes, I do understand what you mean by that first one, but as you guessed, it's not the answer (and after all, they're not the only ones sharing this "trait"). As for the second guess, yes, that's very true, but the answer I'm looking for is less obvious (and if possible, even more simple).
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #864
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Simple? Surely not that they resisted the Ring, for they were not the only ones (Galadriel). Well, they had in common the high esteem of Elves. That was someting they really had in common, meaning, something they could agree on. But just technically speaking, that was a thing other people had as well...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #865
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Simple? Surely not that they resisted the Ring, for they were not the only ones (Galadriel). Well, they had in common the high esteem of Elves. That was someting they really had in common, meaning, something they could agree on. But just technically speaking, that was a thing other people had as well...
Good guesses - but like you said, those fact are not restricted to those two.

Keep guessing.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #866
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh yes, I probably found it - right after I hit the submit button of my last answer, I felt as if I were struck by a lightning, and I only had to check what I thought of - they married the same year, is that what you had in mind?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #867
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Oh yes, I probably found it - right after I hit the submit button of my last answer, I felt as if I were struck by a lightning, and I only had to check what I thought of - they married the same year, is that what you had in mind?
Yes, that is very true, but one could say that also Rosie and Éowyn and many anonymous yet mentioned hobbits married in 1420 S.R. as well. But hey, that was actually a very good one that didn't even cross my mind. And you're in a way very close to the correct answer with that guess.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #868
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Typical syndrom of the Quiz Room - finding more answers than you thought of when you posted the question

Close, you say? Hmm...

Aha, born the same year Not as romantic as I thought, but anyways
Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #869
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Yes, but anyways the correct answer. Take the thread, please.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #870
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so what about something trickier for a change. Brodda and Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #871
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
They each married a foreigner?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #872
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Surely they were not the only ones. But you are on the right track.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #873
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Er... they were each distantly related to someone named Morwen?

(Okay, that's a bit weak.)
Old 02-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #874
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That is indeed. Nope. You were aiming the right direction before.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #875
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Oh, I get it.

Their spouses both ended up setting fire to everything?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #876
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That's it

You may take the thread.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #877
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

First, a question about the rules: is it always two people?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #878
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Any number you choose, obviously (well, maybe only asking about one person would be somewhat odd ); the very first post of the thread is about five people. I must say I thought till this time that it has to be always about just two people, hm, in fact, I did not even think about it. Might have been easier to think of some questions...
Old 02-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #879
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Okay. Second question. Do they have to be the only people with this thing in common?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #880
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, they should. On the other hand... if you ask a thing, like, that they had blue eyes, maybe it will do... I think you should specify it, at least, that it may be a thing they may have in common with even someone else, so that someone does not dismiss it... asking what do Bilbo and Sauron have in common, people would generally assume you mean something else than that they wore the One Ring, unless you included also Gollum, Isildur, Frodo and Sam etc.