User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2002, 06:23 PM   #641
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

No word of any problems came back to Tulë. In fact there was a decided air of excitement, at having solved the issue, which ran like an electric current among the companions.

Good! Then allow me to link us once again and we can return to our original position.

The process came together more quickly this second time. The others, their minds accustomed to his now, linked swiftly and strongly, easing the burden on him.

The air shimmered once more and they were safely back in the waters of the Fourth Age.

Khelek had nearly reached the ship, rowing swiftly while towing Angara's empty skiff back. The dragon, it seemed, had had enough of small boats rocking on the waves and elected to fly herself back.

Tulë rowed strongly toward the Star and came abreast of Mithadan.

Well done, Mithadan! the elf sent, grinning. Race you back! Last one there must cook the other dinner!

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-28-2002, 06:47 PM   #642
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As the skiffs came back to the ship Rose cheered them on. It seemed miraculus that they had performed such a feat.
Rose had always been amazed by they way the elven race and many gifted others were able to controll thier minds. Rose could do a little but her mental powers were extreamly weak and only suited to picking up small traces.
She was certain that this demenstration proved that a person's mind was thier greatest possetion. In whatever way it was used. It could hold people together better then rope. And it could do far more then that.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:12 AM   #643
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child stood with Rose on the deck of the Star watching the skiffs come back. She was very glad to see that no one had been hurt, and that the trial had been a success. Then she went back to her work swabbing decks, hoping that Kali and Bird would be returning soon.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-29-2002, 07:23 AM   #644
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Suddenly, Child heard I high, clear voice calling from across the waves. It was Kali, bobbing on the surface, and waving his hand to come on board.

Child lowered a rope over the side of the "Star", and the hobbrim nimbly scampered up the rope and landed lightly on the deck in front of the hobbit and the dragon.

"Oh, Child, I'm sorry I've been gone so long, but Levanto took us to a wonderful place! Birdie and I went with him to his city! I was allowed to go into the great city of the Mer-Folk! And they talked with me about my people, and how they would help us. And Levanto even took us to meet his King! Oh, Child, if you could have only seen it all. Birdie said that you would recognized so much of it..."

Child laughed, as Kali was running on non-stop. But what did he mean that she would have "recognized" the city of the Mer-Folk? She was actually rather miffed that Bird had been away so long, and was not there to assist with the experiment of the skiffs, (as well as the deck swabbing and daily tasks of taking care of the "Star".)

Raising her hands, she laughingly protested "Hold up, Kali! It all sounds truly wonderful, and you must sit and tell all of us about your adventure. But where is Birdie?"

"Oh...she's coming. Didn't Levanto tell you? I think she had a wonderful time as well, Child." Here Kali looked doubtfully out over the waves. "I think maybe she had TOO good a time. Look!" He pointed to a small, black and grey figure coming swiftly towards the ship.

"WHEEEEEEEEEE!!" A dolphin shape broke from the sea, soaring ten feet in the air and landing sideways with a terrific splash into the water. Again the dolphin leapt from the sea, screaming at the top of its lungs "AHOYYYYYYYY, LONELY STAR! YOO-HOO!"

Then Birdie started a whirling tail-walking dance down the length of the ship, passing by an agast Tule and Mithadan, who were still in the skiffs surrounding the ships. The dolphin gave a raucous laugh as she whizzed by the Man and Elf, and sang in a loud, slightly slurred voice:

My gal don't do much talkin',
Dances, even when she's walkin',
One and Two and Three and Four,
She dances 'round the floor!"

"Kali!" Child whirled on the hobbrim, who was leaning over the railing watching the antics of the dolphin with great enjoyment and puzzlement. "Kali! Is Birdie drunk?"

"Oh Child, the Mer-Folk cannot drink," Here Child sighed with relief. "But they do serve a type of searoom at their feasts. I had none myself. My mother always said that type of searoom wasn't good for you. But the Mer-Folk really seem to like them. Birdie liked them too." Child cringed as another "WHEEEEE" echoed across the waters. She ran to the rail, crying out. "Bird! Birdie! Get up on this ship immediately!"

"BOARDING, MY CAPTAIN!" Bird broke from the waves, rising high in a great arc towards the deck of the ship. She missed by a mile.

The body of the dolphin fell directly on the skiff containing Tule. There was a terrifying "CRASH!" and the skiff was swamped, rocking violently in the water as it half-filled with sea water. Tule sat on the floor, half-drowned, with a black-and-grey dolphin sitting in his lap.

The dolphin looked up, gave the drenched Numenorean a wink, and asked companionably "What DO you do with a drunken dolphin, ear-li in the mornin'?"

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-29-2002, 08:16 AM   #645
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Child and Rose quickly brought the skiffs up and helped Mith and a Tule back on the ship. Then Birdie back as a women came bounding onto the deck. Rose's chest ached from laughter as Bird continued her antics. It seemed to anoy Angara as she tackled the skin changer and pinned her to the boards.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:31 AM   #646
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie gave Angara a wet, sloppy kiss on the nose and sang:

I'm a dragon, you're a dragon,
He's a dragon, she's a dragon,
Wouldn't ya like to be a dragon, too?

Then the skin-changer collapsed in a heap under Angara and started to snore.

"Oh, no you don't," muttered Child under her breath. "Rose! Fetch me that bucket of mop water..."
Old 08-29-2002, 09:27 AM   #647
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Once Mithadan had finished laughing, he stowed the gear from the skiff and sat on a barrel to relax in the bright sun. He looked curiously at Tule as the Elf playfully assisted Child in rousing Bird.

The last message he had received from Tule just prior to the shift had been odd. Perhaps it had been the tension of the test, but it had "sounded"...different, if "sounded" was the right term. It had not sounded like Tule.

He had accepted the Elf as a friend and ally with little hesitation. Indeed, Ancalimon had vouched for him. There was no reason for suspicion, but the niggling doubt remained. But now, there was little time for concern. Much planning was left to be done. It was one thing to shift the Star and three small boats and quite another to shift an armada of 20 Elven ships each laden with a cargo of 50 Hobbits plus crew. He would certainly need practice in Osanwe...

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-29-2002, 11:16 AM   #648
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child couldn't help laughing. Her friend grinned up at her, sporting an inverted pail on her head. She and Kali managed to navigate her back to the cabin, with Bird babbling on about the wonders she had seen. Her verbiage showed no sign of stopping.

Child recollected it had been a long time since she'd seen the shapechanger in such a happy frame of mind. The mer-city must have been amazing. Strange words and phrases continued to bubble out of Birdland's mouth. Child thought she heard her friend mutter something about kuduk villages, kings' palaces, and north gates. None of this made sense to the hobbit.

She finally decided Bird might require additional assistance. Only twice in her life had Child experienced this particular malady. Her Aunt Bell, however, had known exactly what to do. So Child asked Kali to run to the storeroom and secure a dose of mugwort to be made up as a drink. Kali came back to Child toting a generous flagon of steaming brew.

He wrinkled his nose in disapproval, "This smells horrible! Are you sure we should do this?"

Child nodded her head. "I'm sure."

"But, what if she won't drink it?" asked Kali.

"She'll drink it! And, with the hand of one experienced in the feeding of medicine to small children and puppies, Child managed to engineer the drink into Bird's open mouth. Her friend immediately fell into bed snoring once again.

Child assured Kali that Birdland would sleep the rest of the afternoon and night and wake up the next morning with nothing worse than a bad headache.

Then she and Kali sat down to talk. Kali was clearly sober and speaking the truth. Yet his tale of Gondolin had the ring of magic to it. And his descriptions of this underwater world carried both sadness and joy. Then Child felt a pang of sorrow. Levanto had never had the chance to share his jewel with Piosenniel. For the Elf would surely have loved to see her beloved city rise again, if only on the shores of the ocean bed.

Old 08-29-2002, 12:06 PM   #649
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Once he saw Bird would be alright in the capable hands of Child and Rose, Tulë went below to change clothes, wet from the encounter with the dolphin. 'A loose shirt, short breeches, bare feet. Enough for now.' he thought to himself, running his fingers through his unruly hair.

He looked for his map of Númenor and found it folded in his leather bound journal, marking the last entry.

Back on deck, he chose a quiet, sunny place, near the rear of the Star, to sit and study the map for the next move.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:42 PM   #650
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC-- Moved and edited again. LOL. I just can't find a home I'm happy with for this post!

Finished with her chores and her care of Bird, Child made her way back to the deck of the Star. The success of their trial and the return of Bird and Kali had released just a little of the tension on board. And Child had to admit that Tule had done exactly what he said he would do. Yet, part of her felt uneasy.

Then she sensed a familiar tug inside her mind. "Angara where are you?"Child responded."Don't pull tricks on me!" She started about, but could not see the dragon anywhere.

"I'm not pulling any tricks. Look up, you blockhead hobbit." Angara snorted and wafted puffs of smoke down on Child's head.

Child gazed up to the top of the mast. Angara was hanging upside down by her tail, blowing large smoke rings in Child's direction. "Who are you calling a blockhead?" the hobbit retorted."

"Well, you didn't even bother asking me if I'd sustained injuries in this afternoon's little escapade. That Elf almost had me killed."

"Angara, don't be ridiculous! You look very alive to me." Child gave her a sharp glance, and then continued. "Anyways you don't know how lucky you are. Just try sitting on deck with nothing to do except knitting a scarf."

Child raised up a long yellow scarf which she carried in her hand. It looked as if it could wrap around most hobbits two or three times. The scarf had several holes and numerous dropped stitches.

"What I would give to be in your situation. .....just don't ask. You can at least be part of the rescue. But I know nothing of osanwe beyond having you barge into my mind, and even less of naval strategy."

She remembered how Mithadan had stormed about in Idril's house, feeling trapped because he was unable to move or act. Now she knew exactly how he felt. "I feel so useless sometimes." She spoke every word slowly and deliberately, and then continued. "As for the Elf, leave him out of it! He at least has managed to come up with a workable plan."

Angara laughed, "That sounds like a new tune, Mistress Hobbit. The last time we talked, you called him a pickle face...."

Child glared back at the dragon. It was true that she didn't totally trust the Elf. Part of her felt he was saying and doing things which should have fallen to Pio. Child knew Tule had come from Ancalimon, but she still didn't understand why he would want to be part of a mission whose only purpose was the rescue of hobbits. There were Elves who looked at hobbits with fondness, and then there were the others..... Child still wasn't certain which group Tule fell into.

Angara plunged down from the masthead and came to light on her shoulder, shrinking down to a more manageable size.

"Little Andreth, is anything wrong? " The dragon's voice was gentle. Child hesitated, but then looked into the whirling green and gold eyes. Angara seemed to be asking a genuine quesion, so she decided to try offering a genuine answer.

"I don't know. I don't like all this waiting and sitting and not doing. When I was in Beleriand, I felt as if I made a difference just by getting up in the morning. Now my main contribution is swabbing the deck and cleaning up everyone's mess in the galley. I feel as if I am ready to move on with my life, but there's no place to move on to." Her fingers strayed to the green stone nestled at her throat. Then she shook her head and looked down stubbornly at her knitting.

The dragon said nothing, but sat down and placed her body within Child's skirts, allowing the hobbit to softly stroke her head.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:12 PM   #651
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Khelek and Veritas sat with Mithadan on the foredeck. Mithadan was sweating as if from great exertion while Veritas and Khelek sat calmly with slightly amused looks on their faces.

"You must learn to send your thoughts selectively, so that no others but the intended person can receive them," said Khelek. "Otherwise, you might as well be shouting out your secrets in the midst of a crowd. Perhaps the best way to do this is by attempting to shut out my thoughts while Veritas sends hers to you. Let's attempt this."

The three sat still and silent. Mithadan concentrated on receiving only Veritas' thoughts to the exclusion of all others. Then he heard two voices in his head saying simultaneously, "Your hair is a mess." "You need a bath."

Mithadan growled at the Elves who well nigh collapsed in laughter. "Didn't work?" gasped Khelek. "Let's try again. And concentrate less. There is no need to be so tense unless someone is attempting to penetrate your mind without leave."

Mithadan took a breath, then attempted to clear his mind. He envisioned a wall between himself and Khelek and an open tunnel between he and Veritas. This time, he heard but one voice, "He's right, you do need a bath, Man."

Mithadan smiled and jumped up. "It worked," he cried. Then he turned to face Veritas with a frown. "Wait a minute..." Veritas' face was a mask of innocence.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #652
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The sun had shifted and a shadow had worked its way across the space where Tulë sat. He had put away the map, there was no more information he could pick from it for now. Later he would consult with the other elves and Mithadan about the problem of the palantíri locations and when best to call the ships from the West.

Standing up, he stretched his shoulders, sore from this morning's row back to the Star. He looked over the side of the ship at the glassy, inviting sea. The idea of a swim crossed his mind for a brief moment, and then was put aside.

Walking back toward the foredeck, he heard the laughter of Khelek and Veritas followed by a growl from Mithadan. 'Ah! Practicing!' Smiling, he stood and watched them for a moment.

A small touch on his arm stopped him from continuing on toward the three. Child had come up from behind and placed her hand on his arm to draw his attention. He turned, and noted her polite hobbit face was on, though behind her eyes he sensed a multitude of questions and uncertainties waiting to be brought up.

He smiled openly and inclined his head toward her. 'May I call you Child?' he asked, holding her eyes with his own. 'Ancalimon has told me so much of you, I feel as if we have already met.' He waited for her to continue.

'Child will do nicely.' she said, wondering just how he made his eyes do that - turn from a darker grey to a lighter, sparkling shade as if the sunlight were passing through the waves. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. 'I wonder if I could speak with you.' she continued.

He nodded in assent, and motioned her to a nearby chair, drawing one up for himself. When they had settled themselves in comfortably, he urged her on. 'Please, feel free to ask what you need. I know I came on board the Star while you were still in Beleriand. And that there has been little time for us to get to know each other.' He sat back, giving her time to collect her thoughts.

Child tried to think of what she wanted to say first. The thought of 'You can't take Pio's place!' was put aside in favor of a more polite start. 'I really do know nothing about you.' she said. Where are you from? - Númenor? Is that where you met Ancalimon?'

'I have been in Númenor, of late.' said the elf, considering the question seriously, 'but that was at the request of Ancalimon. I was to familiarize myself with the Isle that I might aid you in fulfilling your quest when he could not be there to guide you. I met him and your companions recently in Númenor and took your companions to the place where the hobbits will be imprisoned. Ancalimon returned almost immediately from my first introduction to the crew to see the hobbits in Beleriand once again, I believe.' He sat back, silent for a moment, considering the answers to her other questions.

'And you met Ancalimon there, in Númenor?' she prompted, leaning forward to scrutinize his face as he answered.

'Best to be truthful with this One.' he thought to himself, assessing the spirit of the hobbit before him. 'No, I did not meet him in Númenor, Child. I come from Valinor, and that is where I was asked to aid him.'

Child sat back, taking in his answers and the manner in which he gave them. She leaned forward once more, a question forming in her mind. She was just about to ask it, when Rose and Kali came running to her and tugged her up from the chair.

'Hurry, Child, come quickly! Bird is awake and has heaved up all the stuff in her stomach. Daisy's trying to get her cleaned up, but Bird keeps getting sick. Hurry, Hurry, please!! We need your medicines!'

Child sent them back to help Daisy, telling them she would be along directly. 'I wasn't quite done speaking with you.' she said to the elf, as she made to hurry off. 'This evening if it's convenient, I'd like to continue our conversation." She awaited his answer, hand on hip.

'As you wish, Child. I'll be here. Go on now and take care of Bird.'

He watched her retreating form, then stood and went on his way to the foredeck. The elves had gone, and Mithadan stood leaning on the railing, looking over the sea. He did not hear the elf approach and stop behind him.

Your pardon! came the impish thought to him. But you really do need a bath! You did lose the race back to the ship this morning, if only by a hair. And I do prefer my chef clean!

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-29-2002, 06:51 PM   #653
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Having cleaned himself from the exertions of the day, Mithadan set about preparing dinner, a fish stew. "Fish yesterday, fish today and don't it look like fish tomorrow," Mithadan muttered under his breath. Accompanying the stew was a selection of dried fruits and the last of a fine vintage of wine. Tomorrow, the crew would need to make due with lesser spirits.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:25 PM   #654
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Look what I've found!' came the excited voice of the elf from behind a stack of barrels in the hold. Daisy came running over to him. She had been poking about in the ship's larder with Tulë and wanted to show off her finds as well.

'I've found a tin of flour and one of sugar, and here's a small jar with cinnamon, and a packet of nutmegs.' said Daisy, proudly displaying her treasures.

'Excellent sleuthing, Daisy. Those are just what we need to turn these into something delectable.' Tulë held up a small cask filled with layers of honey-scented dried apples, and another smaller one of rich, dark dried currants. 'Let's find us a bit of butter and go up to the galley.'

The pair made their way to the galley and peeked inside. Mithadan had left the kettle of stew on a low back burner, and it burbled lazily every once in a while letting off a burst of savory aroma. He had gone off about other business while it simmered.

Daisy stoked the fire for the oven and set enough apples for two generous pies soaking in some warmed water. She helped the elf cut the butter into the flour and roll it out to make the crusts. The apples were plumped by the time they had lined the bottoms of the pie plates with dough, and Tulë poured off the water and added a generous handful or two of currants to the bowl along with some sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, a few gratings of nutmeg, and some flour for thickening. He stirred it thoroughly and divided the mixture between the two pie pans. Daisy placed a few small pieces of butter about the top of the mixture and carefully placed the top crusts on, pricking a star-shaped pattern in each one.

They popped the pies in the oven, cleaned up after themselves, and gave the stew a stir before leaving.

About an hour later, the smell of something wonderful had wafted up on deck.

'What's that?' asked Mithadan, relaxing on the foredeck with the others of the crew. 'Ooh, what did you make that smells so good!?' asked Rose.

Daisy could hardly keep from laughing as Tulë pushed her forward. 'It's your pies for dinner, Mithadan! You'ld better get them out of the oven before they burn and set them out to cool!'

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #655
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Evening came and the crew sat down to dinner. The success of the experiment earlier in the day had buoyed their spirits and they fell to with hearty appetites. When the last bit of stew had been sopped from the bowls with bread, and the platter of fruits passed round for the last time and washed down with good wine, Mithadan brought out the pies and cut generous slices for all.

'Let's go up on deck with our dessert,' said Child, picking up her plate and grabbing a fork. 'We can catch the cooler breezes and watch the sunset while we enjoy dessert.'

The hobbit's suggestion met with approval and soon they were all sitting about on deck enjoying the ending to a pleasant day.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:43 PM   #656
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the hobbits sat on deck chatting and laughing, Child noticed Tule standing alone in the prow of the ship. This was not the first time she had observed him doing this. He often took a solitary stroll as the first stars came into the sky.

She excused herself from her friends and walked over to the Elf. He stood with his eyes rivetted on the western horizon. Child had not forgotten his promise to speak further, and wondered if this might be a good time. The hobbit gently commented, "It's beautiful, Tule. Isn't it? No matter how many times I stand here, I never tire of it. I love the sound of the waves as they slide against the vessel, and the way the stars are reflected in the water like a hundred glittering lights."

"Is your home near the Sea, then?" he asked.

"No, I'm no hobbrim." She shook her head. "The soil, the land, tugs at the heart of my people. They love the earth too much to stray so close to the shore."

"When I was younger, I used to think this love would pass if they only learned the ways of Elves and Men. Sometimes, I even wanted to change them, hoping they would become like the Elves with their learning or like Men who carry out so many great deeds. But, more and more, I understand that I was the one whose vision was clouded. What memories and words are to your people, the earth and growing things are to mine."

"You said earlier I might speak with you. But it's not only questions I bring. I wanted to tell you something of my people and my own fears about this rescue."

"In Beleriand, I was part of a community of hobbits that had friendly dealings with Elves and Men. In that time and place, my people seemed to understand both their path and their lore in a way I can never hope to achieve."

"But I have so many concerns about what's happened in Numenor, and whether the Star will arrive in time to do any good." Child hesitated and then went on. "Tule, I'm not faulting you. I believe you and Mith will be able to find some way to break through the guard and rescue the hobbits from the tombs."

"But I don't think it will be enough just to carry out a physical rescue. I'm worried about what has happened to their spirits and minds. My kin have spent over three thousand years of isolation in Tol Fuin and another sixty years of imprisonment in the tombs."

"When I lived in the camps of Morgoth, every one of us felt his presence, and had to fight to keep it out of our hearts. Yet, at least we lived under the stars, and could look up to dream."

"But my people have been hidden in a dark place. The young ones have never looked up to see the sky or the sun. And they lie under a hill which has become so polluted that even the sacred Hallow of Eru holds a temple to Sauron. I can not imagine what that feels like, and I fear for them."

"When you come to rescue them, they may be very afraid. For it's been a long time since they've seen any Elves, and, as for Men, their model is Ar-pharazon who ripped their freedom from them."

She lowered her voice, "In the camps, I met a hobbit, Maura Took, who was loremaster for his people, and another named Lindo, a singer who seemed touched by Varda's hand. They meant much to me. But I fear that the Mauras and Lindos of the hobbits have been crushed by the hands of Ar-Pharazon and Sauron."

"Tule, I have to know. Why do you want to do this thing for my people, and what do you know of my kin? Did you ever visit the kuduk of Beleriand or Tol Fuin, or some of the men I mentioned? I know that Ancalimon must have chosen you for a reason. Are you permitted to say what that reason is?"

"I don't mean to push myself forward so crudely. But sometimes, in a world where Elves and Men have such talent with words, my people have had no one to speak for them."

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-30-2002, 01:45 AM   #657
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

He regarded her intently. The depth of her understanding made him choose his words with care. 'You are frightened, Child, and rightly so. Shadow rises once again and strives to swallow Light. And so it will ever be until the Doors of Night are thrown open and the final battle fought, as I have heard.'

He gazed out across the sea to the West. 'And yet, there is always the seed of hope that blooms even in the bitterest of Springs.' He returned his gaze to her, regarding her closely. 'Did you not look in the mirror, Child? Did you not see the face of hope? Did you not see the face of your loremaster, your singer, your people looking back at you?' He paused, and then went on, almost as if to himself. 'And beyond hope is the doing of all the actions, great and small, which brings life to hope.' He smiled at her, 'And that is where things stand for now, for me - I have come to do what I can to help you do what you need.'

He laughed a little at his words. 'Bye the One, that was too ponderous even for an elf! Come, sit and share one more cup of wine with me, and I promise to answer your questions more directly!'

They sat in silence for a while, sipping their wine, and watched the moonlight ripple on the wave crests.

He spoke again. 'Ancalimon did not choose me. I was chosen for him. By the Lady who dwells west of the West.' A spark of recognition gleamed in the hobbit's eyes. 'You know her, also, I see. She has a great love for your people as does Ancalimon. They have taught me much about you, though from the first your people have had a special place in my heart.'

'I have had many dealings with hobbits, throughout my life. I know the name, Lindo, a hobbit very kind to children, as I remember, but I do not recall Maura Tuk, I am sorry to say. And yes, I know of Tol Fuin, but I never journeyed there.'

He took a small drink of wine, and set the cup down carefully on the low table between them. 'Your first question is the hardest to answer. "Why do I want to do this thing?".' He ran his hand through his hair and considered his answer.

'Because it needs to be done. Because I can. Because your people are Arda's hope and the last defense against Darkness.'

'Because you are my hope.'

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-30-2002, 11:05 AM   #658
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan sat at a table in his cabin making notes on several sheets of vellum. He had scratched out a rough map of the caverns at the base of Meneltarma and the courses of the river. Then he outlined some of the details of the plan which had been created.

Several crewmembers would take a skiff from the Lonely Star and contact the imprisoned Hobbits just as the Numenorean fleet prepared to make way to Valinor. After the fleet departed, preparations would be made for the Hobbits to escape from captivity. Mithadan would seek out a palantir to contact the Telerin Elves in Tol Eressea, who would depart in a fleet of their own to Numenor, staying well clear of the Numenoreans. The Hobbits would be transported to the Telerin fleet which would gather around the Lonely Star and shift to a new time approximately one year later, by which time the peak of Meneltarma should have reappeared as an island...

There was something wrong. Of course there might be some opposition to their activities. There might be skirmishes with Numenorean guards and he doubted whether the transport of the Hobbits from the caves would go undetected. But as he reviewed the plan, he felt a thrill of fear as if there were a fundamental error in their reasoning. He reviewed the plan over and over again. Then he stood and walked to Child's cabin and asked for a book of lore addressing the fall of Numenor. For hours, he pored over the book, reading the final chapters of the tale. Then his eyes grew wide and he slammed the book closed. Indeed there was a problem. He hastened down the hall to Tule's cabin and knocked on the door...
Old 08-30-2002, 12:24 PM   #659
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulë sat on his bed, maps spread about him in disarray. Pio's green journal concerning her travels in Númenor lay open in front of him.

He was in the process of skimming though the pages on the palantíri and making annotations on one of the maps, when the sound of hurried footsteps came down the hall and stopped outside his closed door. The sound of someone's firm knock followed.

'Enter!'
Old 08-30-2002, 02:36 PM   #660
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen's post

Gamba's Journal on My Very Own Vellum, Written While Imprisoned in the Tombs of Numenor

3319 Second Age, Day #1

I get to have a songbook and diary of my very own and Phura, my brother, doesn't. That's because Loremaster says my runes are terrible and my poetry retention is worse. Loremaster thinks that this will improve them both. He says I must remember how lucky I am to be learning and to have a sheet of vellum. Most of our people are so busy making armaments and mining iron and digging graves for the king that they have forgotten all their lore. Many of them don't even have enough to eat.

For the record I'd better say that Phura is always very good to me and always helps me with my lessons. Loremaster says that is why Phura remembers every verse of every song, because he tries so hard to teach them to me. Of course, I am very grateful for all his efforts.

Sometimes I think Loremaster is sad. He says he is afraid what will happen to us if he would have to leave. But he is very brave, and I don't know why he would leave us.

Dorthonion's Isle so fresh and green
Still call us from across the sea
Though many waves lie in between
Still sweet our memories are of thee.

-----------------------------------------
3319, Second Age, Day #2

Phura says that the second line of the poem should read calls, not call. I don't want it to. I want Dorthonion to call me now. And I want to go back. But that was 64 years ago, and I'm not even sure of the way. Loremaster says we were free then, and could see the sky all the time, not just when we swim out from under the rock roof.

Then we tilled our land so sweet,
And wild we roamed the mountainside,
We sang and danced on merry feet
Under the sky so blue and wide.

---------------------------------------------

3319, Second Age, Day #3

Loremaster agrees with Phura and says it should be Calls. But I'm not going to change it and make my diary look messy. Loremaster laughed and said sometimes excess attention to superficial beauty costs us realism. Then Phura laughed too. I don't care. I'm not changing it.

And now beneath a rocky roof
We think of all our old beliefs;
We work, and sigh, and wish for proof
That hope remains, and freedom lives.

3319, Second Age, Day #4

Phura says he's sorry for laughing at me yesterday. He says my diary does look nice. He says he wished we could go back too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Loremaster is proud of Phura because he is learning an old hymn to Eru from one of the guards. I am not supposed to tell anyone. But they didn't say I couldn't write it down. Only Phura and Loremaser read this anyway. I keep it hidden so nobody will laugh at my runes. And this guard is nicer than the others. So I don't want him or my brother to get in trouble.

Phura says that the hymn to Eru made him feel less sad. I hope he'll teach it to me. I feel sad all the time since the new god moved into the temple at the top of Meneltarma. I have bad dreams every night. I don't know the hymn to Eru yet, but I'm going to write something cheerful for a change.

Lovely smile in moonlight beaming
Shining hair in starlilght gleaming
Darling Pio, Bright Pio,
Lovely Piosenniel.

3319, Second Age, Day 5

Phura is always carrying on about the hobbits Nitir and Azra. He learned a poem about them and says that they will return one day to help set us free. I don't see how hobbit girls can do anything that important. He must be mistaken.

Anyways, I would rather meet an Elf. I asked Loremaster what an Elven maiden looks like. He says they are as tall as the men-guards, but beautiful; much more beautiful than anything we see down here. I'd like to see an elven maiden someday. Especially in the starlight. I wonder if she'd sing and dance for me.

Loremaster didn't say anything about Elven maids who carry swords, but I've heard all the tales about Piosenniel, and I know she fought as well as any man. If she were to come back, I'm sure she'd beat up on Ar-Pharazon and make him let us go.

Song and dance the heart enchanting
Ancient wisdom understanding
Thoughtful Pio, Wise Pio,
Noble Piosenniel.

-

3319, Second Age, Day 6

Today I feel sad. I miss my mother and father. Sometimes I don't think about them too much, and some days I keep remembering them again and again. I guess today is just one of those "again and again" days. Loremaster says he will take good care of us and help us grow up to be hobbits they would be proud of. But I still miss them a lot.

I asked Loremaster what starlight looks like. He says that it's against the rules for us to swim at night so I can't see. It's against the rules for us to swim during the day too so I don't understand what difference it makes. Phura says it's more dangerous at night because you can't see where you are going. But I still don't know what starlight looks like. I saw the moon many times while I was swimming but they say it looks different at night and it shines by itself. I can't wait til I'm old enough to swim out at night. My only consolation is that Phura isn't old enough either.

I tried to teach Bungo how to write runes. I wanted to cheer him up. He spends all day making ropes and arrows for the king and says it's very boring. His runes look even worse than mine and he has trouble remembering what they mean. I wish I could help him remember.

Elven maiden stong and free,
Swift across the land or sea,
Bold Pio, fleet Pio,
Daring Piosenniel.

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-30-2002, 03:21 PM   #661
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan walked into Tule's cabin. He pushed aside some parchments and sat on a chair, with an annoyed look on his face. "We have a problem," he said.

The Elf smiled gently. "We have many problems," he answered lightly. "What is yours?"

"Our plan for summoning the Telerin ships is flawed," replied the Man. "You have suggested that I gain access to a palantir for this purpose. While that might be difficult at the best of times, it is impossible as planned."

The Elf's brow furrowed. "Why is that?"

"Because at the time Ar-Pharazon's fleet is assembling, the King's Men were sent to round up those loyal to the Valar such as Amandil and his sons. Well, by that time Amandil was gone, but to evade capture they boarded seven ships and left the island, waiting off the Eastern coast for the results of the attack on Valinor."

"Yes?" responded the Elf.

"They took their most valuable possessions with them. All of them. The Palantiri were among them. At the time we will be attempting to rescue the Hobbits, the Palantiri will not be on Numenor!"
Old 08-30-2002, 03:45 PM   #662
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose was extreamly bored. Everyone was preparing for the days to come and she didn't have any way of helping.
She wandered the ship trying to find somthing of intrest. Finnally she wandered to the frount of the ship and gazed at the stars. If only she were like Birdie and could just fly away for awhile. Soon she fell asleep on the deck.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:39 PM   #663
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was buzzing about the deck of the ship trying to find Bird and the hobbits. The first one she ran into was Rose. She asked her to run and collect everyone and to meet down in the galley.

Within a few minutes, Rose came trooping in. Trailing behind her were Daisy, Bird, and Kali. Child lined everyone up and stood to make an announcement.

At that instant Daisy whispered to Rose, "I can see she used to be a teacher." Rose nodded and giggled. Then Child gave them a sharp look back.

"We have a job to do," Child said sternly to her companions. "I spoke with Tule last night about a number of things." At this point, several eyebrows lifted in the room. "Before I left, we talked about how we needed to start preparing the Star to take on as many as fifty hobbits or hobbrim in a very short time. Even if they're only on the ship one or two days, they're going to need food, blankets, and maybe even medical care. Plus, we will be returning to Meneltarma after that. And again, all our hobbits will need to be taken care of for the day or two that we're there."

Kali asked what kind of shape the hobbits might be in, since they were being rescued from a prison. And Child had to admit she didn't know, but that some of them could be sick and hungry.

Then she added, "I've already begun to go through the galley and storerooms, and we aren't going to have enough supplies, unless you folk swim and row out into the seas and start foraging for foodstuffs, healing herbs, and other useful things. Thanks to Rose," and here Child nodded towards the girl, "we do have plenty of kingsfoil, but there are many more provisions we need. You need to use your imaginations. Anything you can come up with will be put to good use."

At that point, Bird suggested that Levanto might be able to help. Soon the hobbits and the shapechanger were exchanging suggestons about how they might gather some of these supplies. Child told the group she would organize everything on board once they brought the things to her.

In the middle of this confusion, Kali turned around and looked at Bird, with a decided gleem in his eye, "They're coming, they're really coming. All these plans and maps and headaches that the Elf and the Man are doing. They mean something. They mean my family is coming home." Kali looked happier than he had looked in days.

Child nodded and smiled. "Now, get going, and I don't want to hear any more moaning or complaining. You've each got a job to do!"

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-30-2002, 06:12 PM   #664
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tulë rubbed the back of his neck in exasperation and sighed. Pulling the navigational chart of the Isle's waters up close to him, he ran his index finger along the possible positions of Amandil's seven ships. 'They might be anywhere off here.' he said, pointing to the eastern coastal waters. He drummed his fingers on the map, murmuring to himself, 'How could I forget that!'

'What about this as a possibility?' he asked, looking at Mithadan. 'Can we get one of the palantíri from the ships? Perhaps even one of the smaller, hand held ones? It would not take a large one to be able to contact the Master-stone on Avallonë. What do you think? Might this be a viable option for us?'

Mithadan raised his eyebrows in response to this question, and shook his head decisively. 'Absolutely not! We can't go sneaking onto a Númenorean ship. We'd be thrown into the hold, thrown overboard, or killed outright! And beside that, there are seven ships. We have no idea which ship has the palantíri, or if they are cached on more than one.'

The elf looked at the map he had been working on and pushed it from him in frustration. 'I'm getting the idea, Mithadan, that we are nixing the palantíri plan, then, completely. Correct?!'

'Correct.'

'So what do you see as being a workable option for us, now?' asked Tulë.

Mithadan thought for a moment. 'Well, you were able to contact Angara as she flew from Northern Beleriand, and you were able to link the ship and skiffs today - is there a way you can send the message to the Teleri through osanwe?'

Tulë blanched, and rubbed his temples with his fingers. 'Osanwe?! I have never tried such a distance as that!'

'Still, I can see no other way, Tulë.'

'Well, then, I shall have to put in some practice time, also.' He smiled and shook his head at the distance. 'I hope Child has an ample supply of headache powder!'

He pulled the sea map of Númenor and Aman toward him and studied the distance to Tol Eressëa from the southern waters of Númenor. 'Our next question is, since we have agreed on the means of communication, is to figure out when to send the message.'

Mithadan looked at the map and drew his finger along the possible line of approach for the swan-ships. Above that, he pencilled in lightly the path that Ar-Pharazôn and his armada would take. 'I believe we know that the invasion will take about thirty-nine days to reach Túna from the Isle. Do you know how fast the Telerin ships can travel?'

'At this moment, I have no ideas on that. Would any of your sources have information we might use for our calculations?'

Mithadan shrugged and said he didn't know, but that he would look through them.

'Good enough, then.' said the elf, getting up from the bed. 'Let's go up on deck for a bit and stretch our legs, maybe catch some fresh air to clear our heads. We can put our heads together tomorrow to figure out a few more details.'

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-30-2002, 06:32 PM   #665
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child and Rose had begun their search for supplies by closeting themselves in the depths of the ship, searching for things that had been overlooked before. They found a number of barrels of wine and some smoked meats which had been tucked away in Minas Tirith and then forgotten.

As they straightened and organized all the items, Daisy asked Child if she could tell her a tale to make the time pass more quickly. Child laughed and said, "I can do one better than that. Last night I went to bed and had a strange dream."

Daisy looked over and laughed. "Rose told me that sometimes you see Valar and Elves, and they bring you secrets from Valinor."

Child burst out laughing, "Don't believe everything you hear from Rose! Anyways, this was a different kind of dream. It was just about hobbits, and it was very silly. Or so it seemed to me."

Daisy was curious now and told Child to go on with her tale of dreaming. So Child described how she had seen two young lads having a fight. "They were about eleven years old. I think they must have been brothers, because they were fighting the way brothers fight. Both of them were in some kind of very dark place, and they were aguing over the strangest thing. One brother, the older one, kept insisting that he wanted to see "Nitir and Azra", and the younger one, who was a bit of a scamp, said he preferred "Pioseniel" since she at least carried a sword. The older one spoke very nicely and was a little shy. He reminded me of Lindo. He even sang a song in my dream."

"And the younger one?" asked Daisy.

"Oh, he definitely looked like Maura, or how Maura would have looked as a young lad. Only he seemed to be getting in trouble all the time."

Child went on, "Near the end of the dream, a teacher came in and scolded the younger boy for keeping the elder from his studies."

Daisy looked up with mischievous eyes. "So which one did you like better? The older one who defended Nitir, perhaps?"

Child shook her head, "What a strange question!" She laughed and was about to turn her thoughts to something else. But then she stopped and reflected for a moment. "You know Daisy, you're right. I liked both the boys very much, but I did feel something more for one of them. The littler one who looked like Maura and acted like a scamp, that is the one I would pick."

[ August 31, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-30-2002, 06:36 PM   #666
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose immediatly put herself in charge of the opporation. This was what she had been waiting for. Enough supplies for 50 hobbits would seem like alot to most people but Child had employed the right ones for the job.
They started by thinking of the things they could gather out at sea. The ovious choice was of course fish. But Rose was determined to provied the hobbits with a little variety. She sent Bird to see if she could find any near by islands where posible food could be found. Meanwhile the reast of them took a skiff and started fishing. Levanto helped by exploring the depts. He brought back a number of searooms along with crabs, lobsters and oysters.

By this time Birdie came back with news of a small island a few hours away. Once on the island there wasn't much to be found. Thier hunt was not in vain for they did find a large amount of bird eggs.

The whole process took a full day of hard work. But Child was not dissapointed in what she saw. There seemed to be enough food for everyone.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:44 PM   #667
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child went through all the provisions that her companions had brought. Rose was correct in saying they'd worked very hard for there were many supplies to be sorted and put away. They certainly had enough fish to last 50 hobbits for at least a week or more!

But Child knew some things were still missing, since none of the 'teeners had thought about the possibility of babes or children coming onto the Star. She knew there might be many young families, so she wondered if there was any way Bird or Levanto could miraculously come up with a source of milk for the little ones.

There were also various herbal remedies which she desperately needed. It made no sense to waste kingsfoil by using it on small wounds or minor illnesses. But such conditions still needed appropriate treatment.

She thanked everyone for their help, but then suggested Bird go out one more time. Meanwhile, she assigned Rose and Daisy to work on the job of gutting and cleaning the fish and all the other seafood.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:44 PM   #668
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Child," said Birdie, "You are forgetting the offer of the King of the Mer-Folk, who swore that he would help Kali with his mission to find and free his people. The Mer-Folk would be willing to help with any supplies you might need for 50 Hobbits. And I myself can testify to the excellence of their fare."

Child was elated at the solution, then suddenly, a look of worry and suspicion appeared on her wise, Halfling face. "Birdie, just what kind of "supplies" are you referring to?"

"All kinds, they have every kind of fare you could want, though some might come in unfamiliar forms. They even have mushrooms!" Suddenly, the light dawned on Bird's face, and she said, in a defensive tone: "No! Not THOSE kind of mushrooms. Really, Child! Will you never let me live that down?"

"And what of the milk?" said Child "Can a hobbit child thrive on the food fit for a Mer-Child?"

"Oh, I think they can handle that as well" said Birdie, with a laugh. "Though you might be thrown for a minute by the peculiarity of the herd."
Old 08-31-2002, 06:02 AM   #669
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose knew very well that food wasn't the only thing the hobbits would need. So with Child's leave she went down to her room and with all the material she could find started to make blankets and extra clothing all the time singing one of Lindo's lullabys.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:22 AM   #670
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bird couldn't stop laughing at the joke about the mushrooms. But for Child, this was no laughing matter. She reminded her friend how much hobbits love mushrooms, and asked whether the shapechanger would care to be in charge of clean-up when 50 hobbits got sick. Bird laughed, but promised once more not to pull any tricks.

Child was about to send her off to speak with Levanto, when she thought of another needed supply. "You don't think they'd have anything down there that resembles what we call "fruits"?

Bird looked at her with a puzzled face. "Why "fruits"? Do young hobbits have a special need for fruit?"

Child laughed, then leaned over and said, "Not those hobbits, silly. It's for us. I haven't seen a real piece of fresh fruit since Minas Tirith. Daisy used the last of those shriveled up apples for her pie, and it came out alright. But that's still not what I'd call fresh fruit."

"Don't forget that, while you were here eating up the last of the fresh stores on the Star, Rose and I only had what was available in the camps. And that wasn't exactly a midsummer's feast! The Orcs wouldn't even let us eat the fruits we raised ourselves. I used to dream about raiding apple orchards almost every night. Rose and I searched for fruit when we revisited Tol Fuin, but couldn't find any. See what you can do for two friends who'd love to see something resembling an apple!" Then she reminded her again about the milk and herbal remedies, and urged her to hurry back as soon as she could.

Old 08-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #671
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Fruit, eh?" pondered Birdie. "Well, I don't think they have apple trees growing under the sea, Child. Least not from what I saw."

Bird shrugged "The Mer-Folk have food. Some of it's sweet, some sour, some meaty, and some..."bready". And fish, of course, Herds and herds of fish. They have fields, or groves, as you might say, since they do no plowing. And they have plants. And they have some things that look like plants, but I don't think they are."

But it's all good. Very tasty. I never had a better feast, not since leaving Gondolin. But then again, come to think of it, I WAS in Gondolin! Perhaps they should call it "New Gondolin", eh?"

But you asked for food, and the Mer-Folk have it, and are willing to share with us. If you want the details of exactly WHAT you wll be eating, I suggest you ask Kali. I for one, thought it best not to ask."
Old 08-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #672
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Mithadan was deeply engrossed in the strategic details of the rescue, but even he could not help but notice the flurry of activity that was going on all over the Star. It was the first concrete evidence he'd seen that something was actually about to happen and, like Kali, he welcomed its arrival.

Child came over to him in the hall and quickly explained how everyone was helping outfit the ship for the fifty or more hobbits who were expected to come on board. He shook his head and laughed as the hobbit told him how Bird and Levanto were petitioning the mer-folk for their assistance.

"Either that is going to be the most delicious food I've ever tasted," the man observed, "or the worst! I'll reserve final judgment until I have it in front of me on my plate." He looked a bit alarmed at Bird's description of the "herd" which would be moving in to provide a source of milk.

"Tell Bird not to bring anything on deck which would crowd half of us off the ship! The supplies are precious, but so is the space we'll need to transport that many hobbits"

"And, Child, one word of advice, you might want to have someone take one of the smaller skiffs and put in at a port along the coast. Remember that we're in the Fourth Age, and should be able to get hold of provisions like flour or apples which I highly doubt the mer-folk can provide. Also, some extra blankets would be useful."

"You should be able to find some small market towns wedged between the Blue Mountains and the bay of Belegaer that have these provisions. Just tell the crew to get an early start tomorrow, and be back on board within two days at most. We can't hold the ship any longer than that, but I do agree that supplies are needed."
Old 08-31-2002, 07:35 PM   #673
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child warned Bird to be careful about bringing anything on board that would cut down on the space available for passengers, and then explained that she herself would be off in the skiff to one of the coastal markets. Between the two of them, they should be able to cover all the ships' needs.

The two women embraced, and Bird swam off to meet Levanto. She promised to return by the same time tomorrow. Child walked down the hall and knocked on Rose's door. The girl sat surrounded by several piles of blankets as well as an assortment of sewing supplies. She had been diligently working for most of the day.

"Rose, it looks as if you're going to get your wish. Today, you managed to get out of cleaning fish by working on the blankets which we needed. Tomorrow, there's something else we can do together. She quickly explained what Mithadan had suggested. The two agreed to meet at dawn and get an early start.

Child asked Daisy and Kali to take care of the fish cleaning and organize everything else in their absence.

"When will you two be back", Kali asked.

"As soon as we can," Child assured him. "I'd love to do it in a single day, but I don't know how realistic that is. If Bird gets in before I do, please help her with those supplies." Child went off to the Galley to prepare for the morning.

Old 08-31-2002, 07:59 PM   #674
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen's post

3319, Second Age, Day 12

I wish I knew why we were suddenly on this big Ladros review and the settling of Dorthonion. Loremaster Lindo's songs weren't any better than any of the other old loremasters, and why he wrote so many lullabyes I don't know, but they are getting annoying. Loremaster says it is because my dreams were about Ladros and the elders thought it would be wise to review the songs from that time. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut. And I don't see what half of my dreams had to do with Ladros. I didn't have one single dream about a snowball fight.

Azra's Lullabye

Stars above are softly shining,
Wind and waves my ship are rocking,
I my love for you am singing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Though our days we live in thralldom,
Deep inside your soul lives freedom.
Dream of shining elvish kingdoms!
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Watch and wait, always remember,
Never to despair surrender,
Hope will find you, hope remembers,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Far away wild gulls are wailing,
Far away fond hearts are waiting,
Far away proud ships are sailing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-31-2002, 08:22 PM   #675
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(forgive me for playing you)
As Child was in the galley she heared a sniffle and what sounded like a muffled sob. then a voice broken with grief said

"Well Sharon, have you taken good care of the Silmarillion I gave you?" A weary and worn Frodo Baggins crept out and took a few steps to C7A, but then he fell to the floor sobbing uncontrollably.
"I'm sorry I left. I'm so sorry I left. I can never catch up. I you want me to leave I will, but I missed you all so terribly. PLEASE DON"T SEND ME AWAY!!!!!"
Old 09-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #676
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*sniff* Oh forgive my emotional outbreak. Yes, yes an overview would be of more value than gold at the moment.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #677
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC ------

ROSE Please check your pms. I have some info on the Gathering RPG and also some other stuff.

FRODO Please hold off on posting. Check for a pm from me. Thanks.

ENTIRE CREW OF THE STAR-- Take a look at the Fanfiction/RPG discussion thread. Since there's a ban on starting new threads, I took an old question and re-edited it. I wanted to get something up so we'd be sure and have space for fanfiction discussions and proposed edits. Scroll down about three old entries and you'll see a comment from Rose and myself re our identity in the fanfiction.

sharon

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-02-2002, 10:37 AM   #678
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen's post

3319, Second Age, Day # 13

Loremaster says I shouldn't be using my journal to just complain about everything. Well, all right then. Fine.

Nitir's Lullabye

Curls across your pillow lying,
Shining curls my heart entwining.
Dreamy smile, my heart beguiling
Dream, dear hart, sweet dreams.

Tears across your pillow lying
Shining tears, Nienna sighing.
Tracks of tears with time are drying,
Dream, dear heart, sweet dreams.

Hope across your future lying
Bright hope, Ancalimon finding,
Dreamy hope, God's heart beguiling.
Dream, dear heart, sweet dreams.

Love across your spirit lying
Shining love, my heart entwining
Dreamy love, my heart beguiling,
Dream, my heart, sweet dreams.

Well, I wonder what she had to be so sappy about . Loremaster says I have to learn about Nienna and Ancalimon now. Of course, Phura already knows.

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-02-2002, 11:17 AM   #679
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The small skiff made its way eastward, rising and falling amid a flurry of white foamed waves. The breeze blew briskly from the west speeding the vessel towards its intended destination. It was early afternoon when Rose first sighted the northernmost shore of Forlindon. Far beyond, she could glimpse the hazy peaks of the Blue Mountains. Child sat in the prow, trying to plot a course, so the boat would arrive just south of the closest market town.

As they pulled the vessel into a secluded cove, sheets of grey clouds darkened the horizon. Within a few moments, thunderheads moved in, and raindrops pelted the ground. Child and Rose tried to hurry along the shore, but were unable to make much headway. Blowing sheets of rain almost slammed them to the ground. Then Rose spied a cliff overhang, and the two women sprinted for its shelter. They crouched down, shivering and wet.

There was no sense trying to start a fire. The wind and rain were too heavy. So the hobbits sat close to each other, and told stories to try and pass the time. By late afternoon, the downpour had given way to a simple rain.

"We'd better push on," Child told Rose. "I promised we'd be back by tomorrow evening." Rose nodded in agreement and went down to retie the moorings on the boat. Then the women made their way along the twisting coastline.

It was already evening when they reached the village of Khuzal. The dwarves had founded this town thousands of years before when wares had been traded between Eriador and Beleriand. Now it was a sleepy village just beginning to revive as conditions improved in the early Fourth Age.

Rose and Child checked into the local inn, and ordered a meal in the common room. As they came down to eat, a number of unfriendly stares were thrown in their direction. Apparently, hobbits were little known on these shores. Fourth Age or not, many dwellers in Middle-earth had never seen a kuduk, and considered anything so different to be questionable at best. And the fact that they were women did not help matters any.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #680
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the two women sat quietly eating, one of the big folk came barrelling towards their table. The fellow was loud and boisterous and must have consumed an infinite number of pints. Breath reeking and eyes wide, he latched onto Rose, gripping her by the shoulder and commenting disparagingly on her size. Then he cajoled her with a string of impertinent questions. Not one of the customers sitting at the bar made any effort to intervene.

For one terrible instant, Child feared the scene was about to deteriorate into a battle of words or even worse. But, just as Rose struggled to free herslf, she found assistance from an unlikely source. A kindly man, with broad shoulders and strong arms, came over. He forcibly removed the offending hand from her shoulder and retorted. "Be gone, Hugo. They're visitors at the Inn, and they've done you no harm."

"Since when do we let in the likes of them?" the voice growled in return.

"Since I'm the proprietor. And I say they're in and you're out!" The offending party was dumped out onto the steps of the Inn.

The man shook his head and wiped his hands on his work apron, then came in to see if the women were alright. "I'm sorry. Folks around here just aren't used to seeing the likes of you. I know things are changing, but we're a bit far north and people are isolated here."

Child nodded in understanding and quickly explained the purpose of their errand and their needs. The two bargained a bit and agreed on an overall price. Then the owner of the Inn promised to contact the suppliers and have the materials taken down to their skiff first thing in the morning. Child thanked him for his help, and excused herself and Rose to retire to their room. The older hobbit carefully locked the door once they were inside.

The minute the door was closed, Rose burst forth with indignation. Frustrated and angry, she turned to Child and demanded, "You've lived outside the Shire for a good piece of your adult life. How often did you face this? What have we done to deserve this?"

"Rose, calm down. Most folk aren't like that man. When I lived among the big folk, many were curious. I was different, and they often didn't know what to make of me. I've faced raised eyebrows and puzzled looks, but not too many bullies like that one. He's a prize, I must say!"

Rose began ripping things out of her pack and throwing them onto the bed. Then she interrupted Child. "I don't know how you stood it. I don't think I could. I can see why we prohibit men from coming into the Shire. They look different to me too, but at least I don't bully them! I wish they'd all go away."

"It's not that simple." Child sighed. You don't feel that way about Mithadan or most of the men you met in Minas Tirith. The Star has lots of different folk, and we all manage to get along."

"That's different," came the stubborn response.

"No, it's not different. Every group has the good ones and the bad ones. You can't tell me there are no bad apples among our own kin."

"Maybe so," Rose conceded. "But I still wouldn't want to live in a household of big folk the way you did. Wasn't it hard living away from your people so long and having to deal with all those strange looks? Didn't you want to live where you could be yourself and not have to answer all those questions?"

Child sat for a moment and said nothing. For the girl had unknowingly hit on a very soft spot. Then, she replied. "For a long time, I just wanted to see and experience something different, to get away from people I knew too well. But, after Beleriand and after Maura, I thought a lot about what I've missed over the years. And now I'm not sure any more."

"Anyways, there's at least the two of us here together, and we'd best get to sleep, if we want to leave early in the morning." She said goodnight to Rose. They she lay awake a long time, trying to figure out things in her head.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]