The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Samwise Gamgee Send a message via AIM to Samwise Gamgee
Silmaril The Hero of Lord of the Rings

Well, I wrote an essay on why Sam is the hero of LotR that is here on the Barrow-Downs
http://www.barrowdowns.com/Essay-14-1.htm

So, that is my opinion.
What I wanted to do in this topic is put forward my opinion, and hear others (besides hear mine refuted) because I really don't know anyone else who I can discuss the matter intelligently with (the only person who knows enough about the matter heartily agrees with me)

Anyway, I hope this topic can be an interesting debate(but intelligent and critical, not just emotional opinions with no backing, please!
Old 06-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Samwise

I personally think that all members of the fellowship were heroes equaly as they all had their own part and they managed to keep together through some extremely rough times. They all managed to show some sort of heroism throughout the book and all showed great courage.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Hmm... I find it difficult to choose a single character when there exists such a vast amount of players in the tale, but for the most part, I agree with you about Sam. To me, he's the embodiment of the innocence and good-naturedness (is that even a word?) of the Shire, and the inspiration that kept Frodo going. He was with Frodo throughout the journey, from the Shire to Mordor and back again, and the only time his loyalty wavered was when he believed Frodo dead, in which case his mind turned to the task at hand (the destruction of the Ring). And I like what you said in your essay about him being a "representative of nature." I think of him as the type of person we should all strive to be like - loyal, brave when he needs to be, and a great cook. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I think it's safe to say that without Sam, Frodo would not have lasted as long as he did.

But I also think that Gandalf was very close to being the hero - he's the architect of the entire Quest, he was the one Istari who stayed true to the cause they were assigned, and he fought just as hard as any in the actual war.

So it's a tough decision... I think everyone working together was really what made the Quest a sucess. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Send a message via ICQ to Samwise Gamgee Send a message via AIM to Samwise Gamgee
Sting

not the success of the quest, but the story as a whole - as a literary work, that's what I mean by the hero
Old 06-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Quote:
not the success of the quest, but the story as a whole - as a literary work, that's what I mean by the hero
Oh! *blushes* Whoops... sorry. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] In that case... yes, my choice is still Sam, for the same reasons I posted before.

By the way, I really liked your essay.

Quote:
He is indubitably a small gardener, not heroic by nature, but in his very humbleness he is a prime candidate for the focus of Tolkien’s story.
I agree, his humbleness is one of the things that makes him such a great character (in my opinion). I mean, even after he's come back from Mordor and is proclaimed a hero, he's still modest (from what I recall). And he is by no means perfect, which I feel makes him even more interesting a character.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I just thought of something - is humbleness a word - or is it humility (although to me humility is more the opposite of pride, not like working-class)

Well, I hope there are people who DISAGREE!

I'm sure they abound on the Barrow-Downs, but I'm glad you agree Estella. Whenever I read the book, I just don't understand how one couldn't agree, but then, I'm just one person!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 PM   #7
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
Well, you get your wish. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As of right now I have some things to do, so expect a lot of support against your opinion in the next few days, and many days after that hopefully (I love arguing with you people [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). That was an outstanding essay, some valid points are given.

I might as well tell you now that I think Frodo is the main character.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #8
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
posted June 11, 2003 08:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you get your wish.

As of right now I have some things to do, so expect a lot of support against your opinion in the next few days, and many days after that hopefully (I love arguing with you people ).

Don't give up on me if I don't argue for a while - goin on vacation
Old 06-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's not argue. Debate/discussion is fine. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have to agree with many of you that it is really impossible to choose a single charater that is the hero of the story. At first my mind would jump to Frodo, but Frodo is not really the kind of person you would immediately think of when you think of the definition of the word "hero".

Though I just looked up the definition of hero in the dictionary and here is what Merriam-Webster said...

Quote:
Main Entry: he·ro
Pronunciation: 'hir-(")O, 'hE-(")rO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural heroes
Etymology: Latin heros, from Greek hErOs
Date: 14th century
1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage
2 a : the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work b : the central figure in an event, period, or movement
Gosh after looking at this I think that each member of the fellowship embodies one of these charateristics. I didn't know that this definition was so broad.
I would have to say that Aragorn embodies the first one.
Gimli, Legolas, or even Sam could fit the third one.
Aragorn or Frodo could fit the second one.
And all of them or mainly Frodo could stand for the fourth one.
And it goes on...
Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 PM   #11
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Gandalf is the most important individual in the War of the Ring, hands down. Nothing would ever have happened without him. All of the others -- those in the Fellowship and their allies -- were important, but did not fill such an exclusive niche as Gandalf.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:16 AM   #12
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Samwise, I remember reading your essay some time ago and enjoying it quite a lot! I have since come upon an elucidation of heroes that I cannot at this late hour dredge up the source for, but, in effect, it defines traditional and mythical heroes, two different kinds of heroes. Samwise was a traditional hero, as was Aragorn. Their exploits and journey are tied up with great feats and courage beyond normal bounds. Both Aragorn and Samwise are hailed as heroes by their fellows. In particular, Samwise is looked upon with much more respect in his home, the Shire, than our hero Frodo is. Frodo is the mythical hero, the one who goes on the spiritual journey, and is changed forever in a way that cannot be understood or followed by those in the world around him. Frodo is THE hero, but he is an alienated, rarefied hero, one who has gone above and beyond in another realm.

But let's face it, without Sam, where would Frodo be? So, Sam is DEFINITELY a hero! Overall, however, I would say that all nine were heroes, and many others besides. LOTR is filled with tales of those who go beyond the bounds to perform heroic deeds.

But for me, I'd say that it all falls to a matter of identification. Most people relate to Sam because of his down to earth nature and good hobbit sense, but some people go into the tale and become transported into Frodo's realm. I can feel the tensions of spiritual battle at the Ford of Bruinen as keenly as Sam's uncertainty outside Shelob's Lair, only with different parts of my brain. A spiritual battle is creepy, and I can understand why Frodo had to yell his oath by Elbereth and Luthien the Fair. The very speaking of the thing gave him strength. It is a very different way of battle but heroic nonetheless. And Sam, while he understands this concept, is not immersed in it as deeply as is Frodo. He does seem to intuit it quite on his own, though! "Galadriel," and the rope falls, his uttering of Elvish words and the wielding of Galadriel's light quite by instinct--Sam has the capability of using the spiritual side of himself to do battle, but his battle is mainly physical--getting Frodo to his destination. And sometimes his choices are iffy, but his steadfastness and good heart win him through. I would never argue that Sam wasn't a hero. That would be pointless! But each member of the Fellowship played a heroic part--my point would be that none would have prospered without the spiritual steadfastness of Frodo, whose journey was unique (and horribly mirrored by Gollum!) but who could not operate in a vacuum.

Well, I'll end now! It is late, and hopefully I've made sense!

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I, too, wrote an essay, on why Lord of the Rings is all about Pippin and some other people! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I suppose it all depends on where you look! LOTR is full of heroes! I think someone should write an essay on the spiritual journey of Lobelia Sackville-Baggins!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #13
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion there were many heroes and heroic deeds in the story. Each part has a separate hero as well. Till Rivendell, I would call Strider the main hero. Till the mines of Moria, Gandalf after which Aragorn again. Boromir dies a hero and so on. In the end the major heroes which stand above all others are Sam, Frodo, Aragorn and Gandalf.

Aragorn's main task was battles and fighting. Gandalf's was advice and stability. Frodo's to destroy the ring and Sam's to support Frodo. In my opinion, out of all these the only person who did much more than that was expected of him was Sam.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:11 AM   #14
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Aragorn's main task was battles and fighting. Gandalf's was advice and stability. Frodo's to destroy the ring and Sam's to support Frodo. In my opinion, out of all these the only person who did much more than that was expected of him was Sam.
I think there is a question of just what was expected of each member of the Fellowship. On Frodo alone was any charge laid, so on him alone is there any (official) expectation. And the wise did not even know what to expect. One of the themes I particularly enjoy in LOTR is the very slow clarification of Aragorn's path. He knows he must return to Minas Tirith and fulfill the role set down for him by his lineage, but the path is not clear and is, indeed, drawn for him by circumstance in great measure. He uses the elements placed before him to greatest advantage and does more than what is expected of him, fulfilling his role more completely than he himself could ever have dreamed. Only when the Grey Company arrives and Elladan and Elrohir bring the reminder from Elrond "remember the Paths of the Dead" does he decisively take it up-the path becomes clear and Aragorn is now a clear, burning flame of purpose. This is merely one example. I believe all the members of the Fellowship do this to some extent, even poor Boromir, whose legacy is fulfilled by his brother Faramir and also by Pippin, who fights for Gondor in Boromir's memory. The moment when Pippin rises above the frightened young hobbit he was to declare himself soldier of Gondor in Denethor's service is a beautiful moment, where Pippin rises above and beyond the call laid on him and takes on the weight of responsibility to a great realm. Ah, the list could go on! But I should include Samwise the Brave, as this is his thread, nominally, but I cannot help but point out the heroism of all the Fellowship (and could branch out to others...).Sam has a terrible choice laid on him, and it would appear that he waffles after having made it--but the very process of Sam's indecision has the greatest effect possible. He saves the Ring from capture, then saves Frodo from a horrible fate! Sam has his time of aloneness and fear at the very edge of Mordor, but overcomes it partially through his love for the Elves and his call to Galadriel and also for his greater love for Frodo, who is more precious to him than any old Ring of Power anyway. Sam's strength is his love and innocent trust of the great powers of Light. He, too, goes above and beyond the call laid on him, but I wouldn't say he is the only one!

This post has rambled a bit, but I hope it has illustrated my point! Thanks for your indulgence!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #15
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

If you were to use the search function, you would see this thread repeated over and over ... and over.

There is a reason that the search function is there. (That was what we call a "hint".)
Old 06-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #16
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
If you were to use the search function, you would see this thread repeated over and over ... and over.
There is a reason that the search function is there. (That was what we call a "hint".)
Not to seem obtuse, but I don't get the hint. If it means that this discussion has gone on a lot already - sorry, I didn't find it (I did search).

Anyway - I believe that all the members were heroes! And the quest needed every single one (even poor overlooked Gimli) I just think Sam is the hero as in main character (def'n 2a in the post by Gorwingel) See, my sister thinks I hate Frodo because I think Sam is the best - but it's not like that at all. They're all great, but I think if you look at the book from the perspective of how Tolkien wrote it, you will find that sam is the central character