The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2003, 11:18 AM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry lindil, I could not resist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But you being the judge and all, it is of course likely that you will be characterised to some extent in many additions to the thread. And I thought that you reacted to the gratuitous kangaroo incident in much the way that I would expect any self-respecting judge to react. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Rest assured, the krazy kanga will not reprieve his act, although the Saucepan Man might pop in to contribute to the proceedings again, depending upon how the trial goes. Feel free to clap him in irons if you wish. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #42
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

To comment on the thread itself: very interesting and entertaining. It seems to me, however, that people get so caught up (myself included) in what they see as 'wrong' about the movies, that they fail to see the good (meaning dead accurate) parts, or even the film as a whole. I have nothing but respect for Peter Jackson and Co.. Remember back to the cartoon versions: The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings (that trailed off at Helm's Deep and featured Boromir of the Horned Helm, Legolas starring as Glorfindel, and Shire seasons changing at a speed capable of causing seizures), and The Return of the King ("Why does he have Nine fingers? Where iiiiissss thaaaat Riiiiing oooooof Dooooooom?"). Think of those and then think of PJ's Lord of the Rings. Even if you disagree with some of his 'artistic license', you have to admit that he did an amazing job.

Fea
Old 12-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #43
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I also agree. I think my greatest pet peeve is when people keep harping on the tiny "deviations" from the books that Peter has done because they fail to look at the "big picture." Peter took years out of his life to give us this work of art, and we're going to complain about it? I just don't think that it's fair to him at all. These movies are absolutely wonderful. There are countless times where I just want to leap "into" Middle-earth, and follow Aragorn "to whatever end," and not many movies can do that to you. This may be extreme, but I don't think that the Trilogy will ever be forgotten, as long as good movies are remembered. As long as the works of Tolkien survive, so will the works of Peter Jackson.

P.S. True, I haven't expressed this opinion during the trial itself, but I enjoy choosing sides that are opposite to my beliefs because it gives me the chance to understand the arguments of the other side, and thus, make mine better.

But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:31 AM   #44
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Very nice concept for a thread: interesting and a fun way for us to express either or angst or joy in the films.

I think most of us would agree that although we may complain at times about PJ's changes in bringing the books to the screen it has been wonderful to see them brought to life in a fairly respectful manner. Many people spent years of their lives trying to make what they felt were the best films possible.

What we should try to remember is that we all have differing opinions and ideas both of how to interpret the books and how we feel about the movies. We should all be able to express our opinions in a respectful manner without getting annoyed at each other.

As my husband reminds me when I start ranting about something I missed from the movie, "I bet PJ did it on purpose just so you Tolkien fans would have something to talk about."

I have lived with the books for over thirty years and they have added immeasurably to my life. I look forward to the same experience with these films.

Can't wait for the next debate.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Faenaduial
Old 12-20-2003, 04:37 PM   #45
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I fully respect all of the work that has been done on the films, and I love all of them. I do have my minor irritations, but I still enjoy the films.

If it is allowed, I think it would be beneficial for us all to not only present our dislikes, but what we liked about the films as well, and vice versa. Although that might be considered "switching sides."

All in all, great idea for a thread, lindil! Very amusing, although intimidationg for those of us who know little of judicial procedure.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 AM   #46
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If it is allowed, I think it would be
Quote:
beneficial for us all to not only present our dislikes, but what we liked about the films as well, and vice versa. Although that might be considered "switching sides."
Luthien it is fine to speak for against, or both. Do not be allarmed or daunted by the faux court-speak! Just read over it all a couple times and do your best. I doubt anyone [excepting Mithadan] would be much of a pro at it. Glad you are finding it amusing. I have enjoyed almost all of it myself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:56 PM   #47
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I may hate PJ for changing the story in the books, but I must admit that when my sister starts to totally bemean the movies, I can defend most of the deviations. Yes, most - even Legolas' penchant for odd quotes, and Faramir being evil (you might PM me if you want to know how) In fact all of the changes are reasonable to me.

Except one. Frodo's weakness is a thing I never can explain. In fact, I was so bothered by it that I thought "Maybe the movie is right. Frodo just happened to be the Ring-bearer, supported by chance and good friends." Then I read the book, wehre I discovered I was so wrong. So was the movie.

->Elenrod

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:01 PM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:57 AM   #48
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have just been reading this thread and it is extemely entertaining, and very humorious.

I love seeing anything that gives power to the people. This is a great way for people to get out their feelings about these films. I can't wait to see the next part [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #49
lindil

Sting

"This is a great way for people to get out their feelings about these films."

Thanks Gorwingel, you have managed to truly discern the whole point of the Trial.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:25 PM   #50
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would just like to say that as much as you are outraged by the changes made, it could have been much, much worse. In nearly every illustration I have seen, the Rohirrim have been portrayed as pseudo-Vikings, but not in these movies. I don't know if any of you are familliar with the work of Greg and Tim Hildibrandt (sp?), but they are LotR illustrators. I agree much more with PJ's interpretation of LotR that theirs. But I digress. I only read LotR after seeing FotR in the theater. Before, I didn't like LotR because I hadn't done well with it when I tried to read it when I was 9. So that's my opinion.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #51
lindil

Sting

Beautiful sig O.
Quote:
I agree much more with PJ's interpretation of LotR that theirs.
Well One thing PJ did exactly right was hire and greatly rely on Alan Lee and John Howe. The sets, the differing armor's/peoples etc, were all splendid, indeed their work often has to carry a greatly altered plot and strangely shifted characters. Defineyly something to chalk up for PJ though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #52
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
if any of you are familliar with the work of Greg and Tim Hildibrandt
*shudder*

I will allow that the Brothers Hildebrant are talented artists, but I will not deny that I detest their work. Or to be more accurate: their art is too cartoonish and did not, in the least bit, coincide with my imaginings of anything. They are talented, but I don't like how they portray the Lord of the Rings.

Cheers,

Fea
Old 01-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #53
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"God rest ye merry gentlemen/Let nothing ye dismay;/Remember Christ our savior/Was born on Christmas day/To save us all from Satan's pow'r/When we had gone astray./Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy./Oh tidings of comfort and joy!"
Quote:
Beautiful sig O.
Hannon le. It's my favorite Christmas carol, but I'm going to change it since Christmas is now officialy over.
Quote:
I will allow that the Brothers Hildebrant are talented artists, but I will not deny that I detest their work. Or to be more accurate: their art is too cartoonish and did not, in the least bit, coincide with my imaginings of anything. They are talented, but I don't like how they portray the Lord of the Rings.
I'm glad that my brother and I aren't the only ones who think that. They gave Elrond a handlebar mustache for goodness sake! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #54
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So, when do we resume? I'm itching to cross-examine someone...actually, I plan to cross-examine everyone.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 01-15-2006 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sweep
Old 01-15-2004, 07:12 AM   #55
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Your honour, I would move to recommence these proceedings. I have many points to raise on behalf of the defendant and wish to bring them before your court. If Your Honour is not to recommence proceedings then may the defence at least be given an idea of when proceedings shall recommence, so that it may further prepare its case?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #56
Erundil
Pile O'Bones

Erundil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Erundil
Silmaril

A motion has been made to recommence the proceedings. Although this unknowledgable Tolkienist has very little to say on such a seemingly weighty matter as this, I second said motion and call upon the right honourable judge Lindil to reopen the court. A recess of nearly a month has passed, and knowing the wights who reside in this barrow, they have seen the newest piece of evidence (the motion picture Return of the King) at least three times in the first two days. I personally have comments that hinge on the final movie, and wait for proceedings to recommence.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:45 AM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Return of the King is now on VHS and DVD. Every self-respecting Rings nut has seen the film at least once (if only to prove how much it deviates from the greatest books of all time). I respectfully ask... do we wait for the extended version before resuming trial?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #58
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Indeed Feanor speaks correctly. While it would perhaps be wisest to wait for the extended RotK to come out, the court's proceedings should not have been stalled for so long. Peter Jackson's beard is taking over the courtroom.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #59
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I would put on record that while Mr Jackson should not come near the forest on a dark night, I will defend Hugo Weaving as Elrond while there is breath in my body.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #60
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
::exchanges high-fives with Mithalwen::

As will I! If this thread is revived I intend to defend the virtues of Hugo Weaving but in the meantime berate PJ for ditching the Scouring of the Shire. Hugo is the coolest elf ever to wear purple.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #61
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh a kindred spirit! I thought didching the scouring lost a main point of the book ....

Hugo ..in armour also *gulp*

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #62
Melonwen
Pile O'Bones

Melonwen has just left Hobbiton.
Melonwen of Imladris hesitantly steps up to the podium. "Your Honor, if we are to resume, I have would like to bring forth further evidence of deviation from the story, the further crimes of PJ et al in regards to the Tree of Gondor." The elleth patiently awaits the judge's invitation to speak.

I love this thread! And to tell you the truth, everyone who has commented is correct...thank goodness for the films, and oh my, what did PJ do to our beloved story?...all at the same time!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #63
Bergil
Wight

Bergil has just left Hobbiton.
<Bergil runs into the courtroom wearing two backpacks>
Bergil: I wish to present evidence
< Bergil starts slowly settting up a collapsible easel he took from from one backpack (not waiting for response). he then rummages around in the other backpack , pulls out a poster, and attaches it to the easel>
Bergil: (taking out a stick for pointing) now-
Lindil: what relevence can a poster for Pirates of the Carribean have
<bergil blushes, takes the poster down, gets what he was looking for out of a backpack, and attaches it to the easel>
Bergil (pointing with the stick): this chart shows-
<crowd yells, Bergil yells back and flourashes stick, hits the easel, and collapses it. he slowly sets it back up, well the crowd laughs>
Bergil: this chart shows the reaction of the human bladder to the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring (though it seems a chart based on monkeys would be more appropriate for you lot), and it clearly shows that cuts had to be made to the film. in fact, he's already pushing it by making them as long as he did. That preticuler charge is absurd.
<Bergil starts slowly taking down the easel>
Lindil (very fast): Leave the evidence here so we can look over it.
< Bergil sits down>

Last edited by Bergil; 01-15-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Bergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #64
lindil

[Bang! Bang! Bang!!!]
Sgt at Arms: All rise the folkmoot will now resume.

[Judge Lindil re-enters the court, his eyesight slightly dimmed w/ the passing of seasons, he peers out into cyberspace to see of there is still the wish for the trial of PJ to continue...]

Judge Lindil:The court apologizes for the great delay, and hopes that everyone who could stand to watch the extended version of Rotk have done so. Perhaps even re-read the trilogy a time or 2. I hope all who wish to speak in support of defense or the prosecution of the accused may now do so. Please post freely and intelligently.

[Judge Lindil waits patiently, curious to see the response [or lack thereof]...]
Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #65
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Opinionated citizen Fea steps forward.

Your honor, I wish to change, slightly, my former words on... Him.

While he managed to mangle every image I had ever created during my pre-movie readings, managed to turn the part of an Elf (by default cool), Legolas, into a lot of obvious-stating foolery, and while he managed to make wargs... well... I simply won't go into the wargs...

I believe that the Extended Edition scene in The Return of the King that depicts Eomer's discovery of his sister on the battlefield and the Houses of Healing shortly thereafter are poignant and excellent enough to counter-balance all of the truly lame choices he made in other cases. The choice of music, locale, cast, and lines were nothing short of brilliant in that scene.

Fea sits back down... at least until somebody says something she disagrees with.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #66
suncrafter
Pile O'Bones

suncrafter has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir-Green

That's the funniest thing I've read on the internet this year so far. Very clever!
suncrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #67
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Disgruntled Hobbit shouts out of the Jury

"Whenever a book is released into a movie form, they're never perfect. Sure, I don't know how the Pths of the Dead exit just down the Anduin from Minas Tirith, or why Faramir was having a bad day, but for the most part, PJ did a good job! It could have been a lot worse people."

Judge Lindir: "Master Hobbit, you were not recognized, and as being a member of the jury...."

"And furthermore, if you people wanted it perfect, go make your own movie! Someone was going to make a movie of The Lord of the Rings, and it wound up being PJ! I think we should...."

Judge Lindir: MASTER HOBBIT! By speaking out of turn (and speaking at all unobjectionally) you have defied the law of court. You will be replaced. Good day to you sir!"

<two Olag-hai baliffs enter and escort the hobbit out of the room. Sam Alito is sent to replace his position on the jury>

Judge Lindir: "Now then, since the nonsense is over, let's resume an orderly trial....."
________
ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER GHOST

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #68
Bergil
Wight

Bergil has just left Hobbiton.
I ask you a question, did you want to see The Scouring?
I ask you another question, did you see Legend Of Zorro?
Do you still want to see the Scouring?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #69
lindil

Judge Lindil:

"Mr. Jackson do you have any words of defense re: the complete abscence of the Scouring of the Shire?"

PJ: "well your honour as I had already killed Saruman..."

[the gallery erupts w/ many loud shouts and boo's]
ORDER! ORDER!!

The gavel is pounded once and an eerie silence falls...

Judge Lindil: So you seem to be admitting that one omission, led to another...

PJ: well as I have stated before my aim as to focus on the story of the ring and it's destruction, so after that, I mean does it really matter?? Fran and I wrote a few other alternate endings, we had Denethor pull out an fire extinguisher as soon as Gandalf and co. closes the door on the hallows, and Denethor sneaks up to the shire [ see cause the new Denethor likes too eat... {At this many boos and hisses erupt} in Saruman's place...meeting wormtounge too...I thought it was great!! a real improvement in fact...

[W/ this the courtroom erupts and Judge Lindil tears at his beard and rips his robes...]

Chaos erupts, Judge lindil regains his composure and discretely orders the Baliffs to escort the defendant out of the court before he is injured...]

After the furor dies down Judge lindil calls a recess...

Reporters gather outside and there seems to be a consensus that PJ has lost alot of weight, possibly due to the rigors of the trial. Some are calling it the 'Noakes Diet'...and noticing the similarity w/ the current trial of Saddam....

Last edited by lindil; 02-02-2006 at 07:38 PM. Reason: bad court stenographer...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 AM   #70
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Boots A recess?

When will the court be back in session?