Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 PM   #241
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Deva thought for a minute. "I say everythings good! So take your pick and since I'm in a cheery mood it's on me." The dwarf stroked his long brown bread still thinking things over.

"Tell me Isaac, do you travel to this fine inn alone or do you have a companion? I myself have abandoned my companion for a good pint of ale." He pointed across the inn to where a red-headed woman was sitting. "That's Peony, my dear friend."

Deva was in such a good mood this night he felt like he could talk forever. "Excuse me! I keep talking not giving you a minute to answer. Please tell me of yourself."
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM   #242
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Archsage Isaac has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Archsage Isaac
Isaac listened as Deva spoke, not once interrupting him. "Oh, I think that I'll have what you're drinking. And to answer your question, I did travel here alone. I find that having a companion with me merely slows me down in my travels and research." he said, thinking about a happier time that he once knew.

He quickly snapped out of his thoughts though and looked about again with a slight smile. "Don't stop talking, Deva. I most certainly enjoy the conversation. I'm a man of few words, I usually let my sword do the talking..." he said with a more direct grin at Deva. "... but that's getting off the subject. How 'bout we get some food and continue our conversation?" he asked as he crossed his arms and slightly leaned back in his chair.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:02 PM   #243
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Daisy Took strolled up the path and breathed in the cool night air. She had long brown, curly hair (like most hobbits) and small ringlets dangled around her shoulders and face. She wore a long dress which was far too big for her (she had 'borrowed' it from her older sister) and it was a light blue colour. The lace at the bottom of it however had nearly worn off because it was being dragged along the ground. Daisy didn't care though, after all, it wasn't her own dress she was ruining now was it? Daisy was small even for a hobbit being about two inches shorter than the average hobbit. Her face was pretty and she had freckles covering her nose and cheeks.

Daisy hadn't been to the Green Dragon Inn for a long time. Last time she went a young woman named Pio had been the innkeeper and Daisy had been a lot younger. Now there was some new girl, Daisy didn't know her name. She thought it was mighty strange that an outsider would be running an inn in the Shire. However the Green Dragon Inn wasn't like any normal inn in the Shire. From what she'd heard it attracted lots of strangers from other lands. This awoke some strange hunger inside of her that wanted to get out of the Shire and have an adventure. At the same time there was a part of her that couldn't bear the thought of leaving behind the green hills and fields that she loved so much. So with her mind split into two, she decided she would take a chance and see what the inn had to offer. She knew there was going to be a party and it seemed the perfect oppurtunity to broaden her horizons a little.

The little hobbit lass finally turned a corner in the path and there was the inn. It looked different, like it had had been changed. She stopped walking for a moment and watched the shadows moving in the window and she could hear people laughing inside. For some reason nerves took her over. She was actually rather afraid of going into a room full of strangers.
'Oh dear don't be silly Daisy!' she told herself and bit her lip before she pushed open the door.

The place was bustling with people and Daisy wasn't quite sure what to do. A few of the patrons gave her a quick glance but they returned to their drinks and conversations almost instantly. Daisy didn't want to be standing in the middle of the room looking completely clueless so she headed for the bar. She sat herself down on one of the wooden stools and feeling quite small and lost she waited for someone to talk to her.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:36 AM   #244
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"A man of few words, eh? Very nice." Deva said, finishing off the last of his ale. "I have not been with someone who wasn't interested in talking for some time." He smiled at Isaac.

"As for something to eat I am more thristy than I am hungry, but feel free to get yourself someting." Deva called Buttercup over to the table. "Two ales please!" The young Hobbit disappeared into the crowd.

"So tell me Isaac, a man so young, where do you hail from and why do you travel these lands? I come from the Lonely Mountain and just have a sense of an adventure."

Buttercup returned with the ale and placed it on the table. "Thank you, lassie." Deva said going for his mug right away.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #245
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

"I actually don't remember my hometown, I seem to have lost all of my memories up until a few years ago. I just woke up one day with a sword in my hand and a beast lying in front of me, dead." Isaac said with a slightly saddened look in his eyes. He called over the waitress again and ordered a steak and thanked the waitress as she walked away.

Turning his attention back to Deva, he began to speak again. "Sad story, isn't it? But that is the truth. After that I began to wander, getting bits and pieces of my memory back as I traveled." he said, picking up the mug and taking a drink. "This forest seemed to bring back the most memories, so I decided to explore it next." After saying this he took a large drink of his ale.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:57 PM   #246
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Toby’s gold quickly disappeared into Snaveling’s tunic, and the Man was quick to assure the hobbit that the money was entirely safe with him – and at first, he even meant it. Buoyed by his conversations with Aman and Galadel, and floating as he was on the wings of a more manageable amount of drink, Snaveling was feeling better disposed toward the world and its peoples than he had in many a year. He settled back into the cushions of the arm chair, had another warming sip of brandy, and allowed himself the satisfaction of reflecting upon his newfound virtue. I will protect this gold with my very life he thought to himself, smiling at his goodness. I am a trustworthy man; and when Toby wishes me to pass it along to my good friend Aman, I will do so happily, and then Roa will see what kind of a Man I really am!.

The thought of Roa’s commendatory amazement caused him to sigh happily. He turned to Toby and saw that the hobbit had once again decided to rest his eyes…oddly enough, this seemed to entail a certain amount of snoring as well. Out of curiosity, Snaveling removed the money pouch and opened it again. There was indeed a lot of money in there. He shook his head and put it away, before helping himself to another sip of brandy. He allowed his mind to drift back to the scene in which he handed over the gold and Roa stood admiring him for his goodness. He smiled at this scene and looked over to the Ranger where she sat by the fire. She was quite fetching in that dress, and he smiled at that, too. But then it occurred to him how he must appear to her. He glanced down at his ragged clothes and poked his finger through the holes in his tunic. His boots were more patches than leather, and his hair had not been tended to in years.

His mind turned back to the pouch that lay against his heart. Once more he removed it and opened it. This time, he took out a single gold coin and held it up contemplatively before him. He took another sip of brandy and looked across the room at Roa. Her eyes met his and he smiled, but she frowned and looked away once more. Of course she avoids your eye, foolish Man! he cursed. You are appalling to her. She does not yet know the change that has been wrought in your heart; she thinks that you are still the wretch she met all those weeks ago! Well, time will mend that! But his eyes wandered back down to his clothes, and he was dismayed. I may have changed, but my appearance certainly has not. He weighed the gold coin in his hand and thought of the new raiment that it could buy him. For a moment he sat like that poised on the edge of uncertainty, weighing the coin in one hand, and in the other his certainty that Roa would never be able to look at him as anything other than as a vagabond and a thief until he did not appear so much like one.

He took one more sip of the brandy. Toby snorted loudly and started in his chair, nearly spilling his glass. Before the gentlehobit could see him do it, Snaveling put the coin into his own pocket.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #247
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield Willow

Willow watched as a young hobbit, a rather short one at that, walked into the Green Dragon. She reminded her of herself almost of her, the first time she had came in, and tried to play her fiddle.

The young lass stood in the middle of the room for a moment, looking quite clueless, and then she went and sat down at the bar.

Willow thought for a while. She knew what it was like to be new; to just sit there. And now she was more confident, though still quite shy. She breathed out deeply, and resolved to go and talk to this newcomer.

She stood up, and tucked her fiddle under her arm; abandoning her chair to cross the room.

Willow Overhill walked over; across the common room, and went over to the new hobbit girl. No one really seemed to notice her; she blended in so well.

She wanted to go and talk to the girl; her mind screamed out that she needed a friend, but her feet had other ideas. She tripped over a chair leg, just barely catching her violin as it fell, and taking the brunt of the collapse herself.

Willow collected herself, and blushed, embarrased, as usual. After completely collecting herself well enough, she walked over to the newcomer.

"Hullo," she said shyly. "I'm Willow Overhill. What's your name?" She smiled weakly, for she was shy for a hobbit, and disliked talking to strangers, though she had began to warm up to the Green Dragon. And yet she so wanted a friend.

She tucked her fiddle under her arm; held it closer, and waited for a response from the fellow hobbit girl, hoping that she wouldn't be too shy.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:33 PM   #248
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Torlo Hillburrow sulked through the front door of the Green Dragon Inn.

"Green Dragon!" he huffed moodily to himself. "Of all the outlandish names. Dragons, in these parts! Harumph!" Walking inside, he was not much happier. A myriad of very unhobbitish creatures patroned this particular establishment, much to his displeasure.

He wouldn't have to be here if it wasn't for Marigold. Why did his sister Marigold have to go off and marry that lousy foriegn boy, anyway? There were plenty of fine young hobbit lads closer to home, that was for certain. If she had just chosen one of the local gents rather than run off with a hobbit from across the blasted country (or so it seemed) then Torlo wouldn't have to trek all across the Blasted Shire to attend her blasted first aniversary party. And he wouldn't have to stop at these blasted foriegn inns!

In all honesty, Torlo was rather nervous about staying here. Although he wouldn't admit it, possibly not even to himself, the sight of so many strange people frightened him. They were so... so... BIG.

Pushing such thoughts aside, Torlo walked to the bar, trying to look as tall and imposing as possible. This wasn't easy for a hobbit, and it in fact just pointed out his short stature even more. His brown eyes swept across the inn, taking in the patrons. A young hobbit lass, a Man or two, and several others. Not wanting to stare, Torlo forced his gaze to the bar. Blast. Even the barstools were made for taller races.

Pulling himself into one of the more hobbit-sized chairs, Torlo asked the bartender for a drink. He had a feeling he would need it.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #249
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Mira sighed. Toby had wandered off drunkenly and she was once again by herself. She looked about at the chatting, laughing patrons as the party went on. As she watched them enjoy the party, she noticed a young hobbit lass step into the Inn. She sat down on a chair, looking rather lonesome.

Well. Mira thought, It looks like I am not the only one here who is lonely for someone to talk to. She rose from her seat and stretched her legs, which were starting to fall asleep after being inactive for so long. She started to walk towards the lass when she noticed another young girl doing the same. This poor girl, however, stumbled over something on the ground and fell. Mira gasped, but the girl seemed all right when she got up. She walked up to the smaller lass and began talking.

Mira weaved through the crowded room until she reached the pair. She smiled at them and curtsied, saying, "Good afternoon, girls. My name is Mirabell Baggins, and I would be much obliged if you would chat with me a bit."
Old 04-09-2004, 12:19 AM   #250
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

Willow turned around as another hobbit maiden stepped into the conversation. "Good afternoon, girls," said the newcomer. "My name is Mirabell Baggins, and I would be much obliged if you would chat with me a bit."

Willow smiled as she introduced herself. "I would be happy to have you join us, Mira." Then she stopped. "I can call you Mira, can I not?"

Then Willow remembered her manners. "I am Willow Overhill of the North Moors, and as for my companion..." She stopped, remembering that the smaller hobbit girl had not yet introduced herself. "Well, I'm afraid that I do not know her name... I'll let her introduce herself, I suppose."

She smiled, her brown eyes twinkling in the dim light of the inn. "And what brings you to the Green Dragon, Mirabell Baggins?"

Willow sat down on one of the stools, to await a responce from both of the two hobbits. And then something came to her mind. "And do either of you to play the fiddle?"

Her eyes sparkled; Willow had an idea now...
Old 04-09-2004, 02:52 AM   #251
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy grinned as she said hello and introduced herself to the two other hobbit lasses. At least she wasn't alone now but the problem was, she feared she would forget their names within a few minutes...'Willow Overhill, Mirabell Baggins...Willow Overhill, Mirabell Baggins...' She repeated over in her head while she continued to smile at the two hobbits. She was trying so hard to remember their names she only realised that Willow had mentioned something about fiddles.

Daisy's entire family played an instrument of some kind but Daisy had never stuck to just one. She'd tried the fiddle but her small hands found it tiring holding up the wooden instrument after a while. In then end, she gave up trying to learn an instrument altogether and enjoyed singing a lot more.

Daisy turned towards Willow and noticed the twinkle in her eye. She was obviously a music lover as well.
"I don't play the fiddle, but you look like a fiddle player. Give us a tune, after all, this is meant to be a party isn't it?"
Old 04-09-2004, 04:02 AM   #252
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Elkamia

Elkamia, still sat quietly in a corner, drained her wine glass and stood up. She'd stayed here quite long enough, and she didn't see any point in staying longer than she had to. She really did hate parties.

Her green-blue eyes swept over the common room, taking in the three hobbit women by the bar and the other people still here, and pushed open the door to leave. Once outside, she found the great tree she had taken a liking to. It would usually only have taken her a moment to climb onto some of the lower branches, but she was wearing a dress, and the action took rather longer to complete. Finally she managed, the white fabric of her gown draping over a branch along with her feet. The evening breeze stirred her long hair, and the leaves above her moved gently too.

She began to sing, a beautiful song in her own elven tongue, that had been passed through the generations. Although many would not know what the words meant, they gave a sense of wellbeing. The party was gone from her mind, and there was only the melody and the words. She lost herself in her favourite song, the song she had sung all those years ago in Minas Tirith, as Elessar began his reign.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:34 AM   #253
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
A hobbit lass of 17 years on a chestnut colored pony trotted up the road. Up ahead she could see a pleasant looking building with a sign that proclaimed it to be the Green Dragon Inn. That must be it, she thought. She could remember her uncle's words to her before she left: If you're looking for a place to stay while exploring the Shire, The Green Dragon's the place for you. A good, respectable inn is the Green Dragon. Presently, she became aware of a clear voice singing in an unfamiliar language. By the fairness of it she guessed it to be Elvish, though she herself had never heard it before. She listened to the song until she got to the inn, where she turned her pony over to a stablehand and prepared to enter the inn.

She took a deep breath and let it out. "Here goes," she whispered almost inaudibly. She walked into the Green Dragon and headed over to the bookkeeper to request a room. She was handed a card which read 126. She headed up to her room to put her few things away. It didn't take long and she was soon headed downstairs, eager to join the rest of the patrons.

Unsure of where to go, she stood against the wall on one side of the inn and watched the other people. Standing at three feet five inches, the lass considered herself rather tall, but she felt quite short compared to all Bigfolk in the room. Coming from Bree, this was not an unknown sentiment to her, but she particularly felt it because she knew no one in the room. She saw three other hobbit lasses across the room and was trying to decide whether she should join them or not. They looked like they were having an enjoyable time but she didn't want to intrude on them. The latter feeling took preferance so she decided not to go over there, at least not yet. It the mean time she could amuse herself watching everybody else.

Last edited by Firefoot; 04-18-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #254
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Willow smiled, her eyes twinkling. "And what brings you to the Green Dragon, Mirabell Baggins?" Before Mira could get an answer in, Willow interrupted with another question: "And do either of you play the fiddle?"

The other hobbit, Daisy, replied, "I don't play the fiddle, but you look like a fiddle player. Give us a tune, after all this is a party!"

Mira replied, "I don't play the fiddle either, but I do play the flute." Bringing out the little flute she had in her pinny pocket, she showed it to the other hobbits. They nodded in appreciation and Mira put it back. Looking at Willow, she noticed a sparkle in her eyes, the kind of sparkle people get when they have a spectacular idea.

Mira giggled and said, "Okay, Willow. What are you thinking? That twinkle in your eyes says you've got an idea, so let's hear it."
Old 04-09-2004, 03:47 PM   #255
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

Willow grinned at the other two hobbits. "Okay, Willow," said Mira, "what are you thinking? That twinkle in your eyes says you've got an idea, so let's hear it."

Willow smiled. "Well," she began. "Aman asked me to play the fiddle later on tonight, for she said I did all right on the violin. However, I..." she paused, searching for the right word. "I freeze up when in front of everyone. However, I was thinking, that if you two were musical in any manner, you could join me. And it seems you are too."

She glanced over at Daisy. "You asked for a tune, ehh? One little thing here, can you sing? I'll play you one soon, if you'd like, but I'd like some acompaniment later. If we could come up with a tune that all three of us know... Mira, you could play the flute, and Daisy, you could sing. This could be... interesting."

She stopped as she heard someone enter the room, and another hobbit girl entered the room. "Or maybe four of us," she added. "I think we may have another girl joining us."

Willow handed her fiddle over to Daisy. "Hold this, please, and be careful with it," she said. "I'll go and see if this newcomer would like to join us, after all, we hobbit girls should stick together in such a place as the Green Dragon."

Willow walked over to the newcomer, and introduced herself. "I am Willow Overhill," she said. "Would you like to join Mira, Daisy and I to chat? After all, we hobbit girls should stick together."

She smiled, and walked the new girl over to their group, and waited for her to introduce herself.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #256
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The hobbit lass was still standing against the wall when she saw that one of the three hobbit girls she had seen earlier was getting up. She was thrilled when the lass walked right up to her, but she tried to stay calm. The girl said, "I am Willow Overhill. Would you like to join Mira, Daisy and I to chat? After all, we hobbit girls should stick together." They both smiled, and she followed Willow back over to where the other two were waiting and watching them with smiles on their faces.

"I'm Lily Thistlewool," she said. The other two introduced themselves as Daisy and Mira. Then she noticed the fiddle which was still sitting in Daisy's lap. "Do you play the fiddle?" Lily asked.

"Me? No, this is Willow's." Daisy replied, and handed the fiddle back to Willow. The three hobbits explained their idea of Willow and Mira playing their instruments and Daisy singing that night.

"Do you play an instrument too?" asked Mira.

"Yes, I've been playing the fiddle for a couple of years now," replied Lily. "My fiddle has been my most treasured belonging ever since -" she paused awkwardly. She hadn't meant to say so much. "Ever since I began playing," she amended hastily. "I have it up in my room. I could go get it later." She waited for their replies, and hoped they hadn't noticed her slip up.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #257
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

"You play the fiddle too?" asked Willow. "That's great! If we can find some tunes that we both know..."

She looked over at Lily, who had a twisted expression on her face; obviously she had said something that she had intended not to. "I know what you mean," Willow said, "with the fiddle being a most prized possession. It's the only thing I have left of my mother, you know," she added, softly.

Noting the expressions on Daisy and Mira's faces, she quickly changed the subject. "So, what songs do you know, Lily, Daisy, Mira? If we could come up with one we all know..."

She sat down down, to await a response. "So you're from Bree," she said, trying to keep the area from growing to quiet, as the other hobbits thought of any songs they knew. "I recognize the name as one of the Breelands names. Mira, and Daisy, where are you two from?"

Willow tightened up her bowstrings as she sat, waiting for a few answers.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #258
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

"Well, I am a Baggins, from Hobbiton," replied Mira. As for the songs you would like us to help you with, I've not a thought in my head." Willow nodded and furrowed her brow, thinking for a song while waiting for a response from Daisy.

They all sat and were thinking. Out of habit, Mira drew her small flute out of her pocket and played a little tune. While she played, she also tried to think of a song.

How ever far the road draws on,
Long and cold, when you are gone.

In darkened forest I shall wait,
For when you pass the secret gate

Our starlit eyes shall meet again

"...and then what?" murmured Mira, stretching her mind for more verses. She sighed, frustrated for the moment, and chewed her upper lip. She leaned back in her seat and listened to the sounds of the party run on as she waited for someone to speak.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #259
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Deav took in everything Isaac said. He had never heard of someone losing their memory before and from what rumors he had heard they seemed highly unlikely. "Er...I'm very sorry." Deva was at a loss for words. What exactly does one say in such a situation such as this.

The Dwarf lifted his mug to Isaac, "To hoping you find where you are really from." He then took a large gulp from the mug.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #260
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

"That's very nice," said Willow. "You play the flute very well."

Willow stood up, and tested the strings on her fiddle. It was still quite in tune since when she had played it earlier, and she dredged her mind for a tune. One came to mind straight away; a slow, sad sounding song; one of the slower Shire songs. Willow thought it might fit, and played the tune to see if the others recognized it.

Home is behind, the world ahead.
And there are many pathes to tread.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shadows fade

The song was somewhat known in the Shire, and sounded sad and mournful on a violin. And that was what Willow wanted too, she liked that kind of music, though she knew many faster songs. "Are you familiar with that song?" she asked, tucking her fiddle under her arm. "It is fairly simple."

She sat back down, suddenly realizing that she had played where someone would hear her, and for that reason. What have I just done? she thought. I've never been able to play in front of someone before, and never intentionally. Maybe I am growing more comfortable with playing, more than I thought.

She breathed out sharply. "Are any of you familiar with the song?" she asked, her voice soft, and thoughtful. The song had been a favorite of her mother's... and. Do not bring up painful memories, Willow, she chided herself. You have finally found a place to fit in. You are not going to run off again!

Willow tightened her face, her resolve made. She was going to play her fiddle that day, and there was no memory that could stop that.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #261
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Isaac nodded and raised his own mug. Soon the waitress brought him his steak and the utensils to eat. After cutting a piece of the meat, he speared it with his fork and put it in his mouth. It tasted great. He continued like this for several minutes until the steak was all ate. He then smiled and took a drink from his mug.

"I thank you for your concern, Deva, but do not worry about me. I may never find it, it's not a loss. How can one lose what one has never had?" Isaac said, taking another drink from his mug. "I also thank you for refrain from conversation while I was eating. I find it vulgar to eat with a mouth full of food." he said, wiping his mouth on an old, but clean, rag that he'd had in his bag. He stowed the rag away again and looked toward the bar where he'd distincly heard a fiddle. Very good... he thought, smiling once again.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #262
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman

Aman was slightly startled by the flirtatious tone and behaviour of the man in front of her, but didn't let it show - it was rather hard to make the unshakeable Innkeeper seem outwardly startled or lose her control completely. Although you came rather close tonight.. she reflected, slipping a glance at Snaveling. The man seemed troubled once more, she noticed, and as she watched her ran a fretful hand through his hair, snagging his fingers on the knots and tats. For a second, the Innkeeper thought to catch his attention, for he had seemed so relaxed and when he was so troubled his resolve might slip...but no, he seemed to make up his mind and stood.

"Aman?"

Aman looked back at the man by the bar and nearly blushed - shame, Aman, to get so distracted when someone is waiting! "Apologies, Bredan, I was a little distracted."

"Hmm, I saw," Bredan seemed thoughtful and sighed as he said this as his eyes followed Snaveling out of the bar. Aman thought it best to change the subject back to business, pulling out the large leather bound ledger from across the bar where another customer had just signed into the Inn.

"Of course you may have a room - although we seem to be getting a little short of late. If you could just put your name here, and sign here with your mark. Thank you.." she smiled at the man and, turning to get it from the wall, she handed him a selected room key. "One with a nice view across the Shire hills there," she added as she gave it to him. His fingers slid across herself and he seemed to blush very slightly.

Aman wasn't sure what the man's intentions were, but he seemed a decent enough fellow - still, it didn't generally pay to get too close to the Inn's denizens. All too soon they all moved on...pictures of several of those she had been good friends with flitted through the Innkeeper's memory, but she moved them to one side, for the time being. But something else troubled the Innkeeper's mind, something she wasn't sure she had seen: just as Snaveling had left the table, he had deposited a gold coin into his pocket, leaving Toby asleep at the table. Of course, it might have been his; but hadn't he said before that he had no money to pay his way? You saw him, Aman - he is a different man from the callous would-be murderer who first set fire to the trees. Toby probably gave it to him - Snaveling would not now stoop to stealing from his friend... Aman couldn't help dwelling on the man: he was fascinating, a melancholy, bitter enigma of a character, under which lay a gentleman, she was sure....

The firelight lit the side of the man's sallow face as he approached the woman, and his voice was oddly soft, not his usual harsh tone as he kissed her hand. "My lady...-"

"You're a fool, Amanaduial - you did well to take your hand from his. You know nothing solid about the man and what sort of gossip would you like to give the people of the Shire?" She shook her head, smiling self-mockingly. Rubbing her eyes, she stifled a yawn: it had been a long day and she was tired.

Moving briskly across to the little group of hobbits who sat chatting amiably further along the bar, Aman grinned at them. "Evening ladies, anyone need a drink?"
Old 04-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #263
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Aldor looked up at Peony from his empty mug. "Yes I'm fine, thoughtful of you to ask", he stood up taking her hand and gently lifting her from the seat, he could tell she had some memories of her own.

The roar of the Inn seemed to die down as they stepped across the wood floor, their boots making the slightest shuffling noise. A violin chord sang sweetly to them, the sad melody almost making their feet move unconsciously.

"I've heard this song before", Aldor whispered, clasping her hands in his he spun her slowly, while others danced around them.

Yes. Aldor had heard the song before, three years ago, a lone violinist had played it in the Golden Hall of Rohan, except this time it was backed up by a flute and a harp, which made the song even more heart evoking.

Perhaps I am homesick, my emotions are so confusing, never before have I encountered anything like this. Theres no need to rush home, but the song reminds me of better times though it be a sad and somewhat lonely song. No matter nothing wrong with going nothing wrong with staying. This is no time to debate, you know that!

He shook his head trying to get the thoughts out, so he wouldn't disturb this beautiful evening.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #264
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Willow

Willow paused from talking to the three other hobbit girls, and looked up at Aman. "Ah, hullo, Aman," she said, recognizing the innkeeper. Willow stood up.

"Evening ladies," said Aman, grinning. "Anyone need a drink?"

Willow still had to look up at the Rohan innkeeper, but standing, she was a bit closer to looking her in the eye. "Water?" she asked, grinning helplessly. Willow shrugged. "I am a bit thirsty, though I do not know what I'd like."

"Ah, of course," said Aman.

Willow bit her lip. "It doesn't matter, truly. Could you just get something for us, Aman?" she asked. "It would be greatly appreciated."

Willow tucked her fiddle closer under her arm, out of habit, she had picked it up. She climbed back up on the stool, and sat back down, setting her fiddle on her knees. "Ahh, but I seem to be forgetting my manners," Willow said. "Aman, this is Daisy"-- here she indicated the shorter hobbit-- "Lily"-- this time she noted the Breelands hobbits-- "And Mira"-- here Willow pointed at the last hobbit. "Daisy, Mira, and Lily, this is Aman, the innkeeper here. She is a fine woman."

Willow smiled weakly, but it was true. She had a fine appreciation of the innkeeper, even if she was one of the big people, and Willow wanted to make that clear: even if she didn't have the nerve to say it straight out.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #265
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Narya Kyria

Kyria pushed the door open and entered her room. The space was small and plain, but not especially ugly. A bed, an nightstand, a basin and pitcher - it was just as she expected it to be, just as she needed it to be. Perfect.

Strains of of music from the party below floated up through the narrow cracks in the floorboards, and Kyria's feet itched to dance. But no, dancing was out of the question, and she knew this. She should sit still, and wait, wait for Xavier. She must listen, and wait, and not let him down this time, not again. This she knew, and yet still she wanted to dance.

Sinking into a chair, the young elf pressed cold fingers to her aching temples. Be more careful, she chided herself. If you run about crashing into people, it's no more than you deserve. Be more careful next time, watch.

The mellow evening sun made the windowpane glow with soft golden light, shadows from the window dividing the floor into four equal sections of light beneath the window. Kyria rose and went to the window, staring out at the dusty road below. There was no sign of him yet, but soon she would see a cloud of dust rising up the path. She could feel him close.

A pang of hunger made her wince as she caught a delicious whiff of roasting meat coming from downstairs. She was faint with hunger, and it smelled like goot meat, a fine meal. She would eat, but first she must tend to her belonings.

Kyria picked up her sack from where she had dropped it by the door. It was mostly empty, containing only a gown, her maps, and a few other personal items. She plunked it decidedly down on the low bed. There, that was better.

Undoing the drawsting from the sack, Kyria withdrew a pair of long, thick leather gloves. They were black and reached almost to her elbows, and she put them on. She then pulled from the bag a heavy outer robe the sack did not look big enough to contain, and she also put that on. It reached down to the tip of her shoes, and she was entirely covered now except for her head, with the shiny black gloves over her hands. She was ready.

Kyria walked to the door, took a deep breath, and then pushed it open. Down the stairs, through the hall, and then she was there. She entered the crowded room fearlessly.

She was small for an elf. Petite, with small hands and feet, very thin and not very tall. The wine and cream robe completely enveloped her small body, and long, shining golden hair spilled freely down her back. Her nose turned up at the end, and she had small, round, flat black eyes that rolled and turned as she scanned the room.

There was a tall woman standing behind the bar, speaking to a group of hobbit girls. Kyria approached the woman. "Excuse me, m'am," she said softly. "You must be Aman. My name is Kyria of Dell. The meat smells delicious. May I have some?" she asked, placing a coin on the bar with a tiny, black-gloved hand.

Last edited by Memory of Trees; 04-13-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #266
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Lily

"Are you familiar with that song? It is fairly simple," said Willow when she had finished playing her song. Lily stirred. It seemed as if she had heard the song, a long while ago, but it was very familiar none the less.

"I've heard it before," she replied. "I think I could play it. Maybe we should play a couple of more lively songs as well. A nice mixture, if you take my meaning. The mood seems celebratory tonight, like people might want to dance. I think I'll go retrieve my fiddle soon."

She heard someone approaching and she looked up and saw a woman coming heading towards them. "Evening ladies, anyone need a drink?" she asked smiling. The Innkeeper, probably, realized Lily. Willow answered. "Water? I am a bit thirsty, though I do not know what I'd like." The woman answered, "Ah, of course."

"It doesn't matter, truly. Could you just get something for us, Aman? It would be greatly appreciated," Willow said. Then she remembered her companions, and introduced them to her. "Aman, this is Daisy, Lily, and Mira," pointing to each of them in turn. "Daisy, Mira, and Lily, this is Aman, the innkeeper here. She is a fine woman."

"Pleased to meet you, Aman. The Green Dragon is a wonderful inn," Lily replied. She meant it too. Aman seemed like a really nice sort of person, and Willow's word that she was a "fine woman" solidified her impression. "And water would be great."

Last edited by Firefoot; 04-11-2004 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #267
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"I know this song," Peony smiled as she danced with Aldor. "It is a vague part of my memory, but I know I have heard it." The song was sad, but Peony was happy.

"My father would play it on his fiddle when my siblings and I were young. Brings me back to happier days."

~*~*~

Deva listened to the fiddle music. The song was entirely new to him, but many in the inn seemed to know it. "Nothing like a good song to set the mood to the evening, eh Isaac?" Deva looked down into his mug and much to his dismay it was close to empty. He thought for a moment about getting another ale. He decided not too, at least for now. He finished the last few drops and looked out to the dancing couples.

He saw Peony as she danced with Aldor. He smiled to see his friend so happy. "You dance Isaac?" He finally asked. "Because I don't, but I do enjoy watching the happy couples that do. Makes me so happy to see that evil doesn't touch everyone."
Old 04-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #268
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

"You dance Isaac? Because I don't, but I do enjoy watching the happy couples that do. Makes me so happy to see that evil doesn't touch everyone." Deva said after looking at the couples. He had smiled while looking at one.

Isaac laughed and scratched his cheek sheepishly. "I wouldn't call it dancing, per se..." he said, finishing off his ale as well. "In all actuality, I do not dance. I did a sacred dance in a ceremony once, does that count?" he asked, slightly cocking one eyebrow as he did so.

"So, Deva, who is that?" Isaac asked, nodding at Peony. "You seem to know her pretty well." he added as an elf walked into the room. "Well, don't answer that yet, shall I get some more drinks?" he asked, smiling.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 PM   #269
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"No more ale for me, not now anyways, but you go ahead and get yourself some I will wait here." Isaac stood and went off to get another ale.

After he returned and took a seat Deva began to talk about Peony. "The girl over there, the one with the red hair is my friend Peony. We met many years ago through her father. She was looking for an adventure and I took her under my wing. We have been travelling together for some time now."
"
Old 04-10-2004, 09:42 PM   #270
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Isaac took a drink, his thoughts once again turning to a happier time. Not wanting to reveal much about his thoughts, he quickly snapped them out of his head and turned his attention back to Deva.

"Well, that sounds nice, that you have a traveling companion I mean. Traveling alone can be boring, and the long, cold nights aren't much fun when you have no one to spend them with..." Isaac said, once again taking a drink of the ale.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:25 AM   #271
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman

Aman smiled warmly at Willow, pleased at the compliment. "Water? Ah, I think we can find something a little more interesting than that - I shan't force anything alcoholic on you, especially if Willow is to play for us later on. Wouldn't do to have the musician fall of the stage," she said, winking at the little hobbit. "So...strawberry fizz? Made from Goody Gamgee's fruit as well..."

As she was turning to fetch a jug of the drink in question, another arrested her attention and she turned to listen to the customer, a surprisingly petite, pretty elf-maid, soft spoken when she opened her mouth.

"Excuse me, ma'am, you must be Aman. My name is Kyria of Dell. The meat smells delicious. May I have some?"

"Your compliment is recieved gratefully, Miss, but your money is unnecessary tonight," Aman replied. "Everything is on the house tonight because of the party, to celebrate the opening of the Inn! But of course, I can get you a meal," she finished, excusing herself into the kitchen to prepare a meal of lamb and venison - Hawthorne may not have been anyone's idea of a cook when she first arrived, but in recent days she had certainly improved: tonight's fine meal was testimony to how much.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:09 PM   #272
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Elkamia

Elkamia finished her elf-song and sat on the branch for a while, having watched the Hobbit lass give her horse to a stable-hand and enter the inn. You're just unsociable, thats your problem she chided herself. The sound of a fiddle playing, mingled with the clanking of tankards and the burble of conversation, reached her through an open window. She knew that song! She opened her mouth once more, and sang the words that she knew.

Pippin she muttered under her breath. Pippin, or Peregrin as his proper name was, son of the current Thain of the Shire. It was Pippin who had sung that song, all those years ago in Minas Tirith, in the garden before the Houses of Healing. Ever since then the song was fresh in her memory, by far her favorite Shire song. She smiled, flooded with memories, and sung another elven song. She hoped that the fiddle player would play again soon, they were good.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:45 PM   #273
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The night air came over Snaveling like a clean blanket, fresh and cool from having just been laid on the bed. The sounds of the party drifted out to him through the open windows, but out here the raucous outcry of joy was much reduced and more manageable. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, smelling the cleanliness of the yard with its small copses of trees, and the well-tilled earth of the Shire. There was a stiff breeze from the West this night, and for a moment the Man fancied that he could almost smell the Sea, but he knew that was impossible. He had grown up on the shores of the Sea, and his first skills had been learnt on it. But it had been many years since he had seen her shining like gems in the morning light, and burning with her watery lights of infinite colours in the evening.

He opened his eyes and looked up at the stars. The Mariner was almost directly overhead, and so brightly did he shine that even without a moon Snaveling could see his own form lightly shadowed on the neatly trimmed grass of the yard. “Flammifer of Westernesse,” he muttered under his breath, remembering an old tale, long forgotten. “How long has it been, I wonder since I last looked on your cold beauty and did not curse it? So long have I walked in the dark, but now I feel the need for light.” He slid his hand into his pocket and fingered the coin that he had taken from Toby’s pouch. He felt an odd twinge at the back of his mind, but he shook it away. “Besides,” he said aloud, as though speaking with another, “Toby would not mind loaning me the coin!”

A small voice spoke out to him from the shadows, asking “Who’s there?” Snaveling spun about but the voice came from a small hobbit lad whom he’d seen loitering about the yard the past few days.

“It’s nobody,” replied Snaveling. “And who might you be? And what are you doing out here so late at night?”

The hobbit stepped forward into the light of the Star and replied eagerly. “Begging your pardon, sir, but please don’t tell my father on me. Or Miss Aman, either sir, if you please. She’s been told not to let me hang about here in the dark. My name’s Pimpernel Brandybuck, and I’ve just come by to have a look at the party.” He turned back toward one of the windows. “There’s such an awful lot of odd folk in there. From all over Middle-Earth and all! Why, there’s even Elves in there Sir. Elves!”

Snaveling could not prevent a smile. “I know, lad, I know. One of those Elves is even my friend.” The lad’s eyes grew wide and he demanded to know which one. Snaveling carefully pointed out Galadel and Pimpernel let out a low whistle. “Why I’ve seen her. She’s one of those Noble elves, or I’m a dragon.”

“Well, you’re not a dragon, but she’s not a Noble elf, either. She’s of great nobility, but if she’s anything she’s one of the Noldor.”

Pimpernel’s tone when he spoke next was full of admiration. “Why, Sir, you’re a regular Wizard for what you know.”

“Far from it,” Snaveling answered, suddenly bitter. “I know nothing.” His eyes had fallen on Roa once more. With a sudden determination he turned to the lad, holding out the gold coin that he had taken from Toby. “Here lad, take this and do me an errand. There must be a tailor hereabouts?” Pimpernel nodded dumbly as he took the money. “Well, good,” Snaveling continued. “I want you to run and fetch him as quick as you can. I know how late it is, but I daresay he’ll be willing to come out for that kind of money. Tell him that there’s a Man who wants a new set of clothes. They need to be handsome, but not too fine. Have him bring along some samples. When he arrives, tell him to wait for me in the stable and run into the Inn to let me know. Do you understand all that?” The boy nodded. “Good. Then off you go. If this works out, then I might have something for you, too!”

Pimpernel looked at the gold in his hand and just like that, was off running down the lane. Snaveling watched him disappear around the bend in the road before heading back inside to the light and roar of the party. He quickly settled himself down in the chair next to Toby’s and reached for his snifter once more. “Well Toby,” he roared out, loud enough to break through the gentlehobbit’s snores and bring him back to wakefulness. “You’re being a right bore, sleeping the night away. Let us talk about the joys of the simple life: food, smoke and friendship!”

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 04-11-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:29 AM   #274
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy was rather dazed. Everything had happened so quickly. She'd made friends with three other hobbit lasses; Willow, Mira, and the newest one, Lily. Willow had played a short tune on the fiddle and Daisy tapped her fingers on the table continuing the beat. She knew the song very well, being in a family who all played instruments meant she knew almost every song there was out there to know. Before she could tell the others this however, the innkeeper introduced herself.

Daisy wasn't afraid of the woman or anything...she was just wary. What else is a hobbit supposed to do when they meet a big person for the first time? She nodded and managed to smile at the lady who offered them all a drink. Daisy nodded along with the suggestion of water, knowing very well that it was unlikely she'd get away with asking for anything stronger.

When Aman was called away by another customer, Daisy turned back to the little group of hobbitlasses. "Who hasn't heard that tune?" She said rolling her eyes. It was known as the walking song and she'd heard it thousands of times.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #275
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

*Arwen* has just left Hobbiton.
Tiruviel entered the inn with a smile. Wow had it been a long time since she was last here. Must have been nearly a year. She had really missed this inn and the comforting atmosphere that it always brought with it.

Scanning the room for any faces that she knew, her face fell. Oh well she thought - a chance to make new friends.

She wandered over to an empty table and collapsed into ther chair. She had walked a long way and was shattered.

Maybe she would stay here for a while...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your PM's, please.

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-12-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #276
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Elkamia shivered, the evening air had turned chilly. Her thin dress was no match for the breeze. Back to the party? the air there was warm at least, and she could sit by the fire. Or then again, back to the stables? Her other clothes were there, the warmer layers all in green, brown and grey. The inn seemed a nicer option, though she was quiet and not known to party.

She dropped off the branch, glad that the man and the hobbit lad had gone now, as her skirts billowed out like an umbrella. She giggled when she landed, how long was it since she limbed a tree in a dress? She chided herself for the folly of it. You should know better than to drop from a tree in a dress. Particularly at your age! She giggled at her own thoughts, and then settled her skirts and hair. With strangers she seemed quiet and cold, like a mountain stream in spring. Give her a group of friends, or solely her own company, and she relaxed and smiled a lot more.

Having settled herself and painted the calm facade back on her face, she headed towards the common room. The warmth hit her like a smack in the face, and she was glad for it after the breeze outside. The party was still going strong. Noticing a woman sat at a table alone, she decided to introduce herself. She wasn't usually so bold, but the woman looked like she would appreciate some company.

"My name is Elkamia." She said politely to the woman. "You look like you could do with somebody to talk to, if you'll excuse my frankness." She paused, her elven green-blue eyes intent as she waited for a reply.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #277
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Goodbye, Torlo, and Hello to Eleniel

Torlo Hillburrow shouldered his pack and stood. He had tarried here long enough; Marigold would be expecting him at her party. In higher spirits than he had arrived in, Torlo left the Inn.

He turned around and stifled a yell, finding himself face-to-face with a huge, wolfy-looking dog. The mutt wagged his tail and licked Torlo's face, finding it the same height as his silvery muzzle.

"Arrow," commanded a voice from behind him. "Leave that poor fellow alone!" Arrow, as the dog seemed to be named, whined once but obeyed. The voice had come from a woman seated on a brown horse.

"Sorry about that," she said apologetically. "Arrow can't help himself sometimes." Torlo nodded, too shaken to speak. I'm safer back home! he thought as he walked away.

"Now look what you've done," the woman scolded, brushing a strand of brown hair from her face that had come free of her thick braid. Arrow didn't seem to mind the fact that he had practically shaken the lunch from the unfortunate halfling.

Arrow's ears pricked up, hearing the sound of music. It was coming from an inn, The Green Dragon, it seemed. He looked up at his mistress, pleading with his black eyes to stop for something to eat.

"I just fed you this morning," the woman grumbled, but the smell of roasting meat was making her own stomach rumble. She sighed.

"You're quite spoiled, for a guard dog," she said with a laugh. "But I'll stop for lunch, just this once. Then we're back on the road." The dog let out an excited yelp and bounded to the door in a whir of silvery puppy energy.

Eleniel (for this was the woman's name) led her horse into the stable and removed its heavy pack saddle. Its strange assortment of contents rattled noisily inside.

"Rest a while, friend." she told the horse. The beast sighed as the weighty saddle was removed, glad to comply.

Eleniel entered the inn, taking in the music and merriment. Arrow had already made himself at home, trotting here and their and licking unsuspecting patrons. She snapped her fingers and the dog bounded to her.

"Hello," she said to the inkeeper at the bar. "Fine day, is it not? Allow me to introduce myslef: I am Eleniel Goodchild of Laketown, purveyer of fine merchandise from across Middle Earth. Could I buy something to eat for myself and my canine companion? He eats anything." she said, remembering the leather glove that mysteriously disapeared two nights ago.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 PM   #278
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

Willow grinned at Daisy. "Yeah, I know nearly everyone knows that song. It's one of our songs, after all. A true song from the Shire. And you would know many songs, if you sing. But not all songs have words."

She scoured her mind, searching for one without words. And one came to mind swiftly, as there was nothing to keep her mind befuddled: she had, after all, only been drinking water. Come to think of it, she thought, I haven't been eating anything, or drank anything really today.

She smiled within. It was ironic: her being a hobbit and all.

A more challenging, and dancible fiddle song came to mind, and she picked her fiddle off her knees, and stood up to play.

And she played. It was a faster song, at least by those she had heard play it, and was challenging as well. It was called Down Yonder. The song sounded as one that needed words, but she did not know of any. All she knew as the tune seemed to fit into the merry airs of the Green Dragon Inn.

And she played.

Willow let herself be conscious of nothing but her fingers playing over the strings, and the pull of the bow's horsehair threads. And there was nothing there but her, and her fiddle in the world that she had for herself, where she could play, and nothing stood between her and the violin.

When the song ended, she was able to slip herself out of her-- almost trance, one might say-- and sat back down.

"And do you know that one?" she asked, her face twisted into a wry smile.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #279
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
The gentle roar of Snaveling was more than enough to wake Tobias Hornblower. He was perked up within instants, color returning to his face, his bloodshot eyes widened orbs of light, and his features buzzing with movement. His drunken trance was lifted like a morbid cloud flowing away, leaving only a warmth and sunlight in the gentlehobbit’s visage. He heard the finality of Snaveling’s words and turned, sitting upright in his chair as he regained a finer posture.

“By the Shire, you’re right, Snaveling. I do apologize for being such a dreadfully dreary fellow, but I swear by all the pipe-weed in Longbottom that I’ll make up for it. Tonight is a night for partying, Snaveling, and I intend to show my worth on the subject. You and I are going to have something that, I believe has oft eluded us of late…fun. Yes indeed, my friend, we are going to make the best of this.”

The elder hobbit was about to rise, pushing up on the ample arms of the chair, but sagged back down for a moment and raised a halting finger before Snaveling could ascend. He reached slowly into the crenellated corners of his vest and coat, stabbing about in unseen darkness with his knobby fingers.

“But first, Snaveling, I must compose a brief letter. Just a moment, if you please.”

From his prodigious inner vest, Toby drew out a fine quill and a narrow scrap of parchment, which he lay down ceremoniously on the nearby table. He leaned over, hunching his back, and pulled a protective arm around to shield the letter from view. Even though he knew Snaveling was aware of the purse’s contents, he wanted the letter itself to be unknown. He quickly began slashing away at the parchment with the quill pen, dipping it curtly in an ink pan which he also produced, popping off the lid and setting it beside his newly arranged work desk on the table. He began to write.

Dear Miss Amanduial, most fair innkeeper of the Green Dragon,

As is my knowledge, over the course of the last weeks, you and the valiant denizens of the Green Dragon have gone through many hardships and woes, but have strived enough to get us all where we are this jovial night. Though I am ashamed to admit it, I have not been a great help during these hard times and, in fact, have acted more as a hindrance. I could merely apologize, but that would be no more than a weak gesture on my part. Instead, I have mustered together this, a gift, to be used however you see fit to help the Green Dragon in the future. The purse you hold contains no more and no less than eleven coins, one for each letter in ‘Green Dragon.’ I pray you take this gift and consider my debt at least partially paid. I wish you good fortune for as long as you require it.

Sincerely, Tobias Hornblower the Third

Concluding the note with his signature execution of a intricate flourish, scribbling his name in larger, heavily inked calligraphy and pulling up the quill swiftly. He admired the stylish cursive before rolling the note into a miniscule scroll and sealing it with a slim piece of crimson ribbon that he’d produced from one of his many pockets. After tossing the scroll in his hand momentarily, he took it between his index finger and thumb as he handed it, holding the note like a fine porcelain cup, to Snaveling.

“Now, good Snaveling, do me the great favor of giving both note and purse to Miss Aman, and then return so that we may begin reveling in the merriness and jollity of the surrounding festivities.”

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 04-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #280
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Aman walked away shortly afterwards, and the conversation quickly resumed. Daisy directed her comment to Willow's question: "Who hasn't heard that tune?" Willow admitted it was well-known, and then she picked up her fiddle and played a lively tune. It was one of Lily's favorites, though she had never heard it played so well. Lily knew that she certainly couldn't play it so well and with such life. To Lily it seemed that the music came quite easily to Willow; she wished that she could play like that. Lily loved her fiddle more than just about anything, and enjoyed playing, but she had to work hard to get it right. Once she knew the song well it was easier, but she still had to think about it. Presently, the music stopped and Willow sat down.

"And do you know that one?" asked Willow. Lily thought for a moment before she answered. "Yes," she said. "I know the song. But I sure can't play it like that. Sometimes I have trouble with a part towards the end." She let the other three hobbits reply, and then she said, "Now, if you will excuse me for a moment, I'm going to get my fiddle from my room." She got up from her seat and walked across the common room and up the stairs to her room.

"Now where did I put it?" she muttered. She had been in such a hurry to get down to the common room in the first place she had paid much attention to where she had put her things. Probably in a drawer somewhere, she figured. She went through the drawers and finally found it. She looked with pride on the fiddle for a moment. It wasn't the nicest one in the world, but it was it good condition and gleamed softly in the low light. They're probably wondering what's taking me so long, she thought smiling. I was only going to get my fiddle, afterall.