Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

By mistake, Eruantalon posted this on the planning thread rather than this one. So I shifted it over to post here.

It looks as if we finally have someone applying who is a real, professional thief!

Annunfuiniel -

I'm going to lock down that other thread so no one else gets confused. If any other planning is needed, we can do it here or by private messages.

Eruantalon's profile and post

Character Description Form:

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES, Hobbit's Gift

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – The Green Dragon.

For your character please include:

NAME: Rudgar

RACE: Men

WEAPONS: A dull, heavy sword. Some thick leather clothing to protect his body. His fast thinking and equally fast feet.

APPEARANCE: Tall and lanky. He's very stealthy. He has dirty blonde hair. Not dark hair, just dirty from sleeping everywhere outside. He has piercing green eyes and is about 6'5". He wears a dingy pair of brown leather pants. His shirt is grey and his boots are black. He wears a brown leather vest, too. He blends into the landscape when it's dark.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: His strengths are his stealth, his sharp wits and ability to plan ahead. He knows how to get in and out of a situation without getting too badly hurt. He's a skilled thief and knows just the right time to disappear.

His ego is easily his biggest weakness. He knows he's good. He also thinks he's better than he really is. He bites off more than he can chew some times. He can be very dangerous to anyone he's decided to make a victim. But mostly, he tries to get out of situations with his stealth and not have to fight.

HISTORY: He had no family when the village he lived in burned down. He had nowhere to go. His skills made him an outsider when he lived in the village. At first he went his own way with some other farmers turned thieves who aren't very good. But, in his first post for the game, he will decide to leave these fellows and join up with the scouting party that waits nearby with people from his own village.

Unlike most people, Rudgar is better off living on the road than he was before in the village where he was scorned. Everyone seems to like him better, since he's the best chicken thief you'll find. He is now on his way to make a better living with their help. He's not an evil person. He is just a small-time thief who does what he needs to survive.

Eruantalon's post

"Shhhhhh be quiet," Rudgar baited his two friends.

"We are being quiet!" they replied in an angry whisper.

The chicken house was twenty yards away. It was late and the farmer was sleeping, hopefully vary hard. The three companions moved quietly together. "Now you too stay here and watch out for me. Alright?" The two shook their heads in agreement.

All three hunched over trying to hide in plain sight. Rudgar moved without a sound and then entered the little house. There were plenty of fat chickens there. Lots of good eggs. He would have dinner and breakfast in one shot.

Let's see, there you go into the bag. Yes, you too, and you, and you. I'll fill this bag up tonight and come back with another tomorrow if all goes well, he thought to himself.

Now to get out of here safely. He opened the door quietly and saw the face of the farmer there in front of him. "Hello there, sir, and good night to you." Clunk went the flat of the sword on the farmer's head.

It seemed the farmer had slipped past his friends from behind. The man was going in to get a snack of eggs it seemed, since he had a sack with him and a frying pan. Yet,those two idiots with me never even saw him. What were they doing and why had they let him get by?

Rudgar grinned. No eggs for you, Mister Farmer. Just a good solid whack on the head. Good thing I'm a quick clunker. No one ever gets the drop on me.

He chuckled to himself as he walked out. His friends seemed shocked to see him as he turned on them angrily, "That old coot walked right past you. Your eyes must be going bad." He looked at them in disbelief.

When his village had been attacked, Rudgar had gone off on his own and kept away from the main party of the refugees. He had just lent his services to some locals from Bree that had lost their home. He'd met them on the road. Now they almost got him hurt. They would be going hungry if it wasn't for him. Of course, he took most of the chickens and eggs for himself, but that was beside the point. He was hired by these people to get them something to eat.

"You were too scared to take on an old farmer now, weren't you?" He yelled at them.
"You hid behind the chicken house while he came out. You saw the frying pan and got scared, didn't you?"

I've got to get into the company of better thieves, he thought. Maybe I will join up with the party of scouts who are camped out not too far from Bree. I can't go around like this with farmers for the rest of my life. I will join up with my own people again. It's just too hard to do things this way.

He walked them back to the deserted shack where they now lived, smiling all the way. "What's got you in such a good mood? What you smilin' about, eh?" they questioned.

"Just the chance of better things with better thieves that I know of around here." Then he walked off into the night, heading for the scout's camp. He wanted a chance at big-time loot and maybe they could get it by working together.

My next post would be approaching Lothar. He would be asking about joining the bandits. He's vary quiet and skilled. He's just waiting for his chance to get out of chicken stealing.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #42
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Is it too late for me to post a character? I was away for the weekend and my dear grandmother doesn't have a computer. I'd really love to join!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2003, 06:25 PM   #43
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would also like to ask, are there any open positions open? If not, fine. hank you for consideration.

Burzdol

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 09-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #44
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Burzdol, Esgallhugwen,

You are welcome to submit a profile and first post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] We are especially looking for people to play the hobbits and Big Folk of Bree.

Please make sure and follow these instructions when you write up your character.

Also use the form for profiles which appears earlier in the thread.

Thanks!

Cami

· Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.

* We could make use of one female here!
* We need one of the Big Folk to serve as mayor. If you're interested, pm Annunfuiniel to let her know.

· Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially be very mistrustful of the men.

Suggestions for Constructing a Profile:
Big and Little Folk should choose a realistic occupation such as farmer, cook, miller, peddler, baker, laborer, stable hand, teamster, minstrel etc.

Make sure to say in your profile what your initial opinion will be of the "other" group.

Important:
Each poster who plays a resident of Breeland, Big or Little, must submit a complete profile for their adult character. Use the form below.

Each poster will also create a "carry-along child" of the same race (possibly a sibling group) that you will use in certain sections of the RPG. Just attach a paragraph at the end of your regular profile that includes the following: name, age, race, plus a few words on where they live, what they’ve been taught about the ‘other’ race, and what their thoughts on it are.

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-22-2003, 04:01 PM   #45
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Esgallhugwen, Burzdol,

You may, or may not have noticed that I PMed you about the problems with the Shire forum. It appears that the problems we experienced are 'by-gones'; but I'm still excited to hear from you!

~Annun

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 09-22-2003, 07:39 PM   #46
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Here is my information:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?
Yes-The Summons,The Road to Erebor

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.
One-Resistance

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?Yes-Both

NAME:Holoven Journeyman

RACE:Hobbit(Fallowhide)

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):Since he is a gatekeeper for a rather wealthy hobbit, he has thick leather armour and a short sword. Slung on is back is a longbow(which to the average man is considered short).

APPEARANCE:He appears to be larger than he his, due to his thick leather around the mid-section. Holoven wears a green cloak with a pair of thin black pants. Stashed in his slender belt is his sword. His brown eyes blend in with his eye length, dark brown hair.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:Holoven got strength from his father and looks from his mother. He, like his father, has certain liking for the drink. It has previously gotten him in trouble and he is now more careful when he drinks.

This hobbit is particularly social and is always looking for a conversation. He has gotten milder since his wife died of the same disease as his parents. Now he is a single father with a new rate of patience.

HISTORY:Holoven is a gate keeper, and his employer provides him with shelter and food for his services. The hobbit was a born and raised Bree-lander. His parents were Haloven and Melian. His kin include his brother Ilder, which is five years younger, and sister Mariwen, which is two years older. After both parents died of disease, his kin left for Gondor, to seek adventure. Since he stayed back, he needed to support himself. Thus he got his job. Now he has been a guard for the same person, a Miss Grinis, for nine years.

His first and only love was a girl name Kellas. Together the had a son they named Icrin. Now, since she has died, he has to learn to love a four year old while he works through life.

Burzdol's post - Holoven and Icrin

Holoven woke silently as usual. He started breakfast and was soon interrupted by his son, Icrin.

"Daddy," he said in a little kid voice.

"Yes."

"Can we go into town tday to see da big folks?" he asked with anticipation.

"Yes, sounds good. I could get you a new blanket at the market, and your big enough to go I think. Don't think about that right now, here's some breakfast."

The two ate breakfast, and as they finished, Holoven started, "You have to remember that the big folk aren't as polite as Miss Grinis. We have to watch out. And remember to not touch a single thing. Those big folk accuse us of everything possible, so if you get accused, the'll woop you good an' proper."

"Yes daddy. Can we go yet?"

"Go and ask Miss Grinis if she needs anything at market. Grab your cloak on the way out," the little boy ran off as Holoven completed his sentence.

Soon they left with list in hand and talking about manners around the big folk.

"Carry along child"

Name:Icrin

Race:Hobbit

History:Icrin is the son of Holoven and Kellas. He was brought up to think that big folk were rude and mean to the hobbits. He is also supposed to be nice at all costs to them, even though they may be mean. In his youngness, he wants to go meet them to see what they are like.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]

Old 09-23-2003, 09:29 AM   #47
Asa

Tolkien

Sorry for the delay here is the edited profile.

Name: Elmerith

Race: Man

Residence: Bree
Relation to: Erimith his brother.

Appearance: Tall (6 ft 6.) with long brown hair. Wears a black tunic under his
uniform, which is composed of chain mail suit and a wear over cloth with Bree's seal on it with the 7th company written on the bottom. He has deep blue eyes.

Weapons: One long sword and a short bow. A quiver of arrows and a hunting knife.

Personality/Strength/Weaknesses: Elmerith is usually a good natured guy unless he is reminded of his parents in which he usually gets into a rage, or lately when he spent forty eight hours on guard duty. He is very suspicious of the hobbits coming into town as they seem strange and alien to him.
History: Elmerith is the son of a ranger of the north. His father died when he
was about twelve years old and he was given his father's sword as his
inheritance. He traveled to Bree where he enlisted as a guard for the cities
gate when he was eighteen. He has grown into an experienced soldier learning
sword fighting and bowman ship from teachers WHOM he pays with his limited wages.

Elmerith walked down the various dykes and ditches that surround the little town of Bree. He looked down at them in disgust, "How are we going to defend this city against an organized attack?" he said aloud with frustration. He knew full well that these ditches were the city's main defense against any real army and they were in such poor shape that he didn't think that they would fill up properly to even slow an attack. As he walked down the path he looked out. Dawn was approaching and it was close to the end of his shift. Or at least officially, Usually the person who was supposed to relieve him was too drunk to patrol so he had to do more than his share of guard duty that was debatably the most boring pastime known to man. He sighed and kicked a dirt cloud up. He would report to his superiors about the fact that everyone else was drunk but they were also drunk and so there was nothing else to do but do his duty. He hadn't had sleep for days.

Maybe one of the Halflings could relieve him? He thought that that was unlikely because like his peers they were also overly fond of their ale and food. The whole town didn't seem to care whether they were taken over or not. He kicked up another dirt pile. Hobbits probably weren’t capable of being a guard or a fighter because of their size. All in all they seemed to be a totally useless race, "Why did Illvutar go to the trouble of creating such a useless race? They consume but do not earn anything." he thought.
Dawn broke and so Elmerith made his way back to the guard room where he was going to find yet another drunken guard who needed him to take his place yet again. As he walked on he passed the Prancing Pony which said that a large band of bandits were planning to attack the town. Elmerith cursed, now the city was going to be attacked as he had feared. The city's defenses were in disrepair and he was the only soldier that was fit to fight! He read on notice that the guard was to meet with the hobbits to discuss a defense. "Well at least they are doing something about it. That exceeds my expectations." Elmerith thought dryly. The question was what plan were a bunch of drunks and a few useless hobbits going to think up. Hardly anything that was rationally doable and in enough time probably. He marched into the Prancing Pony in a very foul temper.

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Asa ]

[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: Asa ]

Old 09-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #48
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Burzdol,

Many thanks. Annunfuiniel and I will take a closer look and get back with you by pm if we see anything that needs changing.

Asa,

It's good seeing you apply to join a game! Your profile looks interesting but the first post is missing.

Check your pms and then paste everything back up with the suggested additions.

Thanks.

Everyone,

We're still in a holding pattern for now until more of the promised characters come in with profiles and posts.

Cami/Child

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-23-2003, 02:32 PM   #49
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Great profile Burzdol!

I can't wait to see who's approved!

~*Fëa*~
Old 09-23-2003, 05:57 PM   #50
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks ArwenBaggins! It took me awhile to figure somethings out for the profile. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Burzdol
Old 09-23-2003, 07:12 PM   #51
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

NAME: Poppy Goldworthy

RACE: Hobbit (Fallohide)

WEAPONS: A set of four small daggers given to Poppy by her grandpa (which shocked her mother I might add)

APPEARANCE: With a freckled face as cute as a plum, Poppy has bountiful curls of dark brown hair and stands around 3'4". She has a slightly thinner build than most hobbit's although she eats enough. Her dazzling green eyes light up her face like twinkling stars.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Poppy is very stubborn and passionate about things she deeply cares about. But she has an open mindedness that most of her fellow Hobbits have trouble conveying in such times and among the Big Folk. She practices with her little dagger set every day by the wood on a dry dead stump; she cherishes the gift of her grandfather very much. Her weakness at times is getting involved in trying to help someone or something when it is none of her business. She will even help out if she receives no reward in turn.

HISTORY: Like most hobbits they all know one another very well and although Poppy can find some of her aquaintances very annoying or even dull, she'll politely listen to what they have to say or what they ask her to do. Her family isn't really known for much and is content simply to work in a garden (although at times an adventure of sorts will spark their fancy). Her dear old grandpa taught her everything she needs to know about dagger skills.
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

FIRST POST :

Poppy sat content next to her grandpa, Mungo Goldworthy, in the garden. Flowers of all sorts sprang out of the ground in colourful bursts among the green grass.

Poppy inhaled deeply the sweetness of their scent while Mungo leaned back and sniffed the sweet aroma of the leek soup that wafted up to his nostrils . She pondered the news that came to Bree, a group of people were coming and weren't expected to be all that friendly.

Poppy hoped dearly that no great harm would come to anyone including the Big Folk even if she thought them to be a little queer at times. 'So Poppy my dear little grandaughter, what seems to be on your mind? you seemed concerned 'bout something' Mungo ruminated. 'I must be honest with you, I'm a little concerned about the news that came today, you know about those bandits are heading our way'

'I know what your talking about, sweety, I might be old but I'm not deaf' he laughed lazily picking up his spoon and helping himself to a generous portion of the thick green broth, licking his lips in appreciation of the savory taste. He stared out contentedly across the garden as the delicate petals of the autumn flowers bobbed and nodded in the late afternoon sun.

'Perhaps picking some fruit and vegetables from the garden will take my mind off of it for a while, I'll bring a basket of strawberries and rasberries for you if you like and while I'm at it some peas and potatoes for dinner'. Poppy stood up and straightened out her green dress; picking up the two baskets next to her she set about going through the bushes of raspberries, then kneeling down to get to the strawberries, every so often indulging herself.
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Carry along child:

Name: Lily Whitefoot

Race:Hobbit

History: Lily is one of the neighbors of Poppy. She is a sweet little child and very polite but scared of the size and loud voices of the Big Folk. Poppy is a constant companion for "Little Lily" as some call her, Poppy always makes sure Lily stays well out of harms way.

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Esgallhugwen,

Please check your pms. I definitely like Poppy! There were one or two little things missing so will drop you a note on those.

Cami
Old 09-23-2003, 10:56 PM   #53
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Here is where we stand on folk who've applied for the RPG:

· Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3 -4, no more than 2 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.

- Alvinac (+ Karianne) by ArwenBaggins
- Asa is working on a revised profile and post.
- I also have word of someone hopefully working on a female character who may serve as our mayor!

· Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 2 female : At least two of these should initially be very mistrustful of the men.

- Rosie (+Fippi) by Orofaniel
- Hedgar (+Fippi) by Novnarwen
- Holoven Journeyman (+Icrin) by Burzdol
- Poppy Goldworthy by Esgallhugwen

Don't forget this:

Each resident of Bree will also create a "carry-along child" of the same race (possibly a sibling group) that you will use in certain sections of the RPG. Just attach a paragraph at the end of your regular profile that includes the following: name, age, race, plus a few words on where they live, what they’ve been taught about the ‘other’ race, and what their thoughts on it are.
- Rudgar by Eruantalon

Again, please include a few words on what happened when their village and/or family was destroyed, and their attitude about attacking Bree.

Looks as if we are filling up! We should be back to you very shortly. Those of you who've been asked to do revisions, make sure to get those posted up on the thread, please.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-24-2003, 01:44 AM   #54
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Everyone who notices an 'edited by: piosenniel' on their character submission - it's just me setting up your posts for easy transfer to the game thread.

And Cami, I added Burzdol's 'carry-along' child, Icrin, to your list of characters filled, in the post just above this one.

Looking good, everyone!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #55
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Esgallhugwen,

Please check your pms. Two notes should come through.

Cami
Old 09-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #56
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Everyone

One of the hardest things to remember in this game is that these are the hobbits before they came to the Shire. So there's no pipeweed, and they were all born in the shadow of the Misty Mountains. None of them can be natives of Bree. For the same reason, we won't have any Shirriffs in the game. Most of the hobbits will be quite poor, with only one or two exceptions. And they will be a bit more adventurous and a skilled with weapons than their later descendents will be.

Don't feel bad if you made a mistake on any of this in your post. So did I! I let a few things slip by and am only requesting a change now because Annunfuiniel had a sharp eye to catch it.

Please get your revisions pasted up so we can compile our (almost final) list of gamers.

Cami
Old 09-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #57
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cami, I just got another PM about the female scout issue. I'm a bit confused because I've already adjusted my profile (or attempted to) and because this one was written to someone called Soran. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Edit: Who is probably Tinuviel of Denton's character, now that I think about it.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arestevana ]
Old 09-24-2003, 03:28 PM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Whoops! Let me check... I was sending out piles of e-mails on several games and things may have gotten mixed up.

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Cami
Old 09-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #59
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arestevana,

This is what I get for doing too much too fast!

My sincere apologies. You did indeed make the revision. Now, I better go back and check out that other pm that was sent to you.

Could you possibly forward it back to me?

If anyone else gets a pm that makes no sense, please let me know and I will try to correct.

Yes, Soran is Tinuviel's character. Looking at the scrawled sheet of paper that I was working from, I think I merely misread my horrible writing and put Tinuviel's name on your memo. Plus, I made a mistake in not catching the fact that your character is now a healer, which would definitely make sense for the scouting party.

My apologies again for this mix-up.

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Cami

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-24-2003, 08:34 PM   #60
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I received an encouraging message that our applicant for mayor may be on the way. Yeah!

We await your profile and post with interest....

Cami
Old 09-25-2003, 12:18 AM   #61
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

ALL APPLICANTS:

Here's the list you've anxiously - and very patiently - been waiting for! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

· Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3 -4, no more than 2 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.

- Alvinac (+ Karianne) by ArwenBaggins - Accepted

- Asa - Accepted pending minor revisions (add a carry-along child)

- Golden - Accepted

- Chathol-linn - Accepted pending minor revisions (omit pipeweed reference)

· Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 2 female : Prefer that two of these should initially be mistrustful of the men.

- Rosie (+Fippi) by Orofaniel - Accepted

- Hedgar (+Fippi) by Novnarwen - Accepted

- Holoven Journeyman (+Icrin) by Burzdol - Accepted pending minor revision (change of birthplace; and the employer should be of the Big Folk)

- Poppy Goldworthy by Esgallhugwen - Accepted

· Outlaws (Race of Men) - 2 - 3, no more than 1 female.

- Soran by Tinuviel of Denton - Accepted

- Kirima by Arestevana - Accepted

- Rudgar by Eruantalon - Accepted

Those who need to get in minor or major revisions, or new profiles and posts, please try to do so as soon as you can.

Thanks!

Annunfuiniel and Cami

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 09-25-2003, 10:38 AM   #62
Golden

Sting

I hear there is still a spot for a Breelander, eh? One of the Big folk? Well I be working on a character, Uther, who could fill the part. I'll post the info and sample post stuff in a minute...

Old 09-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #63
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Esgallhugwen,

Your revisions are fine! You are now "accepted" in the game.

Golden,

Yes. We have one more possible spot as one of the Big Folk of Bree. Please do put up your profile and post.

This is what we are still waiting on:
  • minor revisions from Burzdol
    and Golden.
  • resubmitted profile and post from Asa
  • new profiles and posts from Chathol-linn (Mayor of Bree)

Once those are in, I believe we will be ready to start our game.

If anyone other than those listed above is interested in joining the game, you can drop me a line by pm or a note on the thread.

But, if you have not already done so, hold off on developing a full profile and post, since we aren't sure where we have need. If you have developed one, go ahead and put it up.

Cami

Old 09-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #64
Golden

Sting

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - No I haven't. But I have played in RPG's on various other websites. And have much skill in different ways.

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
None at this time. Hoping for some soon.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?
No, neither, but hope too soon.

NAME: Uther Donnovin

RACE: Breelander (Man)

WEAPONS: Large Dwarf-Made Axe of Bronze, and a Stout Short Sword of Steel

APPEARANCE: Tall and menacing is Uther, a man of Bree. Dark crimson hair in curls down to his shoulders, which are as broad as many-a river. His face is dark and grim, and he has a golden-brown tan from working on his farm house. He dresses in the manner of most men of Bree, save the large Bronze axe. It is said that in his youth, when he traveled away from Bree and out to the Misty Mountains he saved a dwarf from a pack of wargs and was rewarded with it, and never does it leave his belt (Save when he uses it). He is older, and gray creeps into his red curls, but still strong as an ox is Uther.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is a man of honor and pride. He enjoys good ol' manual labor by day and good beer and song by night. Always ready for a joke or a good tale, he enjoys the simple things in life. Lately, however, with all the trouble in Bree he's been a bit edgy. And the news that Bree could be in danger not only from the drought and heat but from other more fell things, has him on edge.
Greatest of his strengths is his body. "Ox Man" was his nickname in Bree in his youth, for he has incredible strength. And while now 52 years of age, he is still as strong as he ever was. He also has a dwarf-made axe, and while the weapon is void of any magical power, it is strong and sturdy, and when swung by a man of great strength, can be a most devastating weapon.
But he is older, and cannot move swift or silent. He was never one for much lore or schooling, only for action. (Though he knows many tales of old). And he is not found of Wargs, or Goblins for that matter, and is a good slayer of the beast. But not having hewed anything but wood for many years, he may rush into a battle he cannot win, without caring if it means his pride and honor. He also, while no child ever was his, would do anything to save his nephew Arthur II.

HISTORY: Uther, son of Druther, was born in the village of Bree. His older brother, Arthur and he lived in their old farm house in Bree.. When he was only 16 years of age his father took him on a trip to the Misty Mountains, there they found a old dwarf(Borlin) whom had been on his way through with friends and was now lost. They helped him search for his friends only to find the three other dwarves had become a meal for wargs. Uther and Druther, and their new Dwarf companion beat down the wargs and took from their stash a great bronze axe which had been on of Borlin's friends. It was to be given to Druther as a present, but before it could a great warg who had stayed in the shadows and watched the display of horror could no longer contain his lust and attacked. It was felled quickly by Borlin, but it wounded Druther in the processes and killed him. The axe was given to Uther, who then returned to Bree and took over Druther's farm, as Arthur, who was younger, worked for many-a year until he reached the age of 20, when he went off away from Bree to “Open a horse ranch”. Uther stayed in Bree the rest of his life (To this point) save once when he turned 24 and his mother died, the rage made him unbearable of the memories of Bree, so he left for a good deal of time. He return two years later, after having gone over the Misty Mountains and eventually down to the Gap of Rohan. He grew weary of wandering and despite the pain of memories, returned to Bree. There he stayed and has ever since worked on the farm, alone. He gets his share of respect and disrespect from his community. And cares not as long as he has good work by day, and good ale by night. And of course, an occasional audience in the Inn to tell his tales to, if any should listen. Recently however, his Brother Arthur’s daughter and grandson, Arthur II appeared before him. Arthur had his dream. After leaving some 31 years before, he went to Rohan and was able to become a stable owner and horse breeder alongside the Rider of Rohan. Arthur had a daughter after entering Rohan, and she wed, giving birth to a young son, Arthur II. Arthur was killed by a horse after a tragic accident, and his son-in-law, a Rider of Rohan, was killed by an Orc. His wife, Arthur’s daughter, could not raise Arthur II alone, and bore him to Uther to live.

------------------

Golden Presents: Post- Uther

(Just a bit of a sample of a typical day for Uther)

Golden's post - Uther

Bloody heat. Never gave a man a moments rest now in these days, or so thought the tall man who was thinking it. And that blazing orange-gold sun was no help. Not a cloud in the sky, pity, they were long past do a good shower of rain, falling onto the grass and their heads of hair lightly and blissfully with a grace like an elvish dance. Uther pulled along down the street, his long crimson curls behind him, billowing in a brief moment of wind.

Bree was a nice town, that’s what Uther had always believed. Full of good hearted men, and little folk. Indeed, they were weird, those hobbits, but he could tolerate a bit of queerity, for he had learned that hobbits make rather good cooks.

He was now on his way to the local Inn for a pint, and perhaps a chat. There was usually someone who he could tell to his tale of the time he and his now long-dead father Druther ventured into the Misty Mountains. Thought he had told it to practically everyone who would listen. And if none would let it be told, maybe he'd hear some odd tale from one of them Rangers. They usually had something.
Not that Uther was an adventurous man, he preferred to stay right here in Bree, Thank-you-very-much, but he always enjoyed a good tale of bravery and hard work. And perhaps a hard kill. It was hard work and hard kills that made men, men. Not that he expected one from one of them little folk. They seldom, if ever, had such good tales.

With a long sigh he arrived at the Inn, and was glad too. It was so hot outside, especially after a few hours of good ol' manual labor, but still in this heat it wasn't as much fun. Past the wooden gates and through the oak doors until at last he was at the threshold of the Inn and it's wonderful bar. He entered and called over to the barkeep at once.

"Aye, o'er here, how 'bout a pint fella!"

He gruffed and sat down at a dark table in the corner. He could see all kinds here. Small little hobbits busy with their own things. One thing he admired about them was they were good farmers. He, being a farmer himself, knew it well. Busy men talking and drinking merrily, always a fun sight and more fun to join. Those odd Rangers talking in whispers to each other, odd folk, but they had the look of men who were used to hard work, so Uther gave them some respect. And the occasional Dwarf or (rarely) Elf who would pass by.

With a grunt he thanked the Barkeep as his ale was brought over, quickly downing nearly half the glass. He was a big man and even bigger to the Hobbits and Dwarves. But he had great respect for Dwarves, now there were fellows who knew about hard work and labor! Why, when he was only a lad and had out-worked some of the older men of the village, they claimed he was related to Dwarves. Of course, now that he was 7'1" that was a ridiculous idea, as it had always been. But still, he respected the little bearded men.

These were the thoughts on the big mans brain as he drink the sweet tasting ale. He loved Bree with a passion. He loved the grass, as green as one could hope for, and the waters, crisp and blue and clean. It was a nice little town. The Inn was his home away from the farm. The dark common-room lit by the flickering ruby flames of the fire, the large pint at his large hands. The many faces, people. Oh it was a good place. And not a bad place for little Arthur II to live in, either. No, his nephew, grandson of his brother, was in good hands here. Strong hands. The hands of Uther, the "Ox Man"

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Golden ]

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 09-25-2003, 12:10 PM   #65
Golden

Sting

Wow. I didn't know when I typed that I had so many spelling errors and typos. I shoulda run spell check. Sorry 'bout that...

Old 09-25-2003, 12:13 PM   #66
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Golden,

I do indeed like Uther! (Are you perhaps a fan of Arthurian tales?)

We also need to give Annunfuiniel a chance to read your profile and post, since she is the other founder.

I may get back with some minor suggestions later. The main one would be to add a carry-along child to your profile, since you'll need this for some of your scenes. Perhaps a neighbor's child? You can work on this right away. Just look at some of the other profiles for hobbit and men (towards the very end of the profile) and you'll see what I mean.

Will get back later....

Cami
Old 09-25-2003, 12:18 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Golden,

Just saw your note above about spell check. That's good advice for all of us!

Please go in and correct the errors you find. (You can always paste a copy into your word program and run it through a spell check.) Then go back into the post and either repaste a new copy or simply make the changes manually from a print out.

The other thing I find very useful is to try the preview button before you post. That way you get to see everything on screen.

Many thanks again. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cami

Old 09-25-2003, 02:16 PM   #68
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Good profile Golden! I have a feeling Alvinac and Uther will get along fine!

~*Fëa*~
Old 09-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #69
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Golden,

What a wonderful, wonderful character! On my behalf you're accepted; just go ahead and correct the typos and it'll be fine. And if I understood correctly Uther will get along with the hobbits - all the better!

~Annun
Old 09-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #70
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoops! Sorry, Cami, I deleted the message before I read your post. I hope I didn't mess anything up. Sorry!!!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #71
Golden

Sting

Sorry, been away for a bit, at the store and all.

First off, thanks very much for excepting me, I'll go read over the RP thread in a bit. And I'll go get rid of those horrid spelling mistakes... I'm a bad speller... but thats why they invented Spell check.

Thanks again! I'd respond to all of you individually, but I don't have the time. Must run before I burn down the house with my oven.

Adios, Orivua, and S'long
-Golden

Old 09-25-2003, 04:24 PM   #72
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Golden,

Good going! Don't forget to add the carry-along child when you attack the spelling.

I've put your name in the list as "accepted pending minor revisions."

Cami
Old 09-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #73
Golden

Sting

Whew! Well I had to edit out the spelling and add in Uther's grandnephew, Arthur II (Indeed I am a fan of those stories...) and then I had to edit again for proper spacing, but now it should be all done. I added in Arthur II, not actually in the post, but I mentioned him at the end. And put him in the history. Think that about covers it, hope I didn't miss any typos of mine. Might have...

-Golden

Old 09-25-2003, 06:14 PM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Golden

You'll see an "edited by: piosenniel" on your first post for your character. That's just me setting it up to be transferred to the game thread when it opens.

~~ Pio
Old 09-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #75
Golden

Silmaril

Oh, yeah I saw it. I mighta deleted it when I posted the spell-check edited version, not sure. But thanks for telling me. I figured it was just something like that.

Now I'm afraid I must be off for the night, I shalln't leave word till tomorrow, or so I fear. Farewell all!

-Golden

Old 09-25-2003, 06:27 PM   #76
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Thank you so much for accepting me! I await the opening of this game with a great deal of anticipation (not to mention how bored I was when I was in only two games...)
Old 09-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #77
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I also must thank you for me being accepted. I've never been in an RPG before and I am sure it will be a wonderful not to mention extremely fun experience!!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #78
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi - if mayor is still available, here is my character description and first post. Regards - Chathol-linn

NAME: Harald Chetwood the Mayor

RACE: Mortal

WEAPONS: Is competent with longbow and his large, all-purpose knife, Adequate horseman. His greatest weapons are his quick mind and ability to come up with creative ideas. He is schooled in reading, writing, arithmetic, and some lore.

APPEARANCE: If Harald could trace his family back far enough he would find its founders included members of the Houses of Haleth and Beor. He is a little taller and fairer than the typical short, brown-haired Bree-man. Harald is 5' 10." He shaves - occasionally - and so has a bristly chin. He wears his light brown hair loose to his shoulders. His most impressive physical characteristics are his solidly muscled body and dark blue eyes. He wears dark brown homespun breeches, good black leather boots, and white linen shirts with the long sleeves rolled up. He wears his knife sheathed on his belt. His badge of office is a bright red neckerchief.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Strengths: Natural leadership abilities - courageous, charismatic, intelligent and creative. He is happy-go-lucky by nature, practical, loyal to family, friends, alliances. Weaknesses: As the baby of the family, he is used to being the center of attention, taking it easy, and having his own way. He is inexperienced. He hasn't been mayor long. Sometimes he has doubts about his ability to live up to his parents' successful mayorships, feeling he must prove himself. Other times, he's over-confident. He has a short temper but a short recovery time also. Distrusts folk outside of his known groups and relationships.

HISTORY: His father Berendil was Mayor until he died, and then, his mother Hala. Nothing much happened in Bree-land during their tenures so Harald viewed the job, which he inherited by default, as little more than titular, and with some nice perks like meeting girls, going out to dinner a lot, presiding over town meetings, etc. His biggest management job to date was running his Mum's household in town while she was sick and dying. He lives there now and knows almost everyone in town. He is unmarried and courts a woman from Bree. His best friend is the Captain of Guards, Telien.

Chathol-linn's post - Harald

“The best thing your Mum ever did as Mayor was holding these weekly market days,” observed Telien. The two men sat in the new Mayor’s kitchen that overlooked the street and the town below.

“The market days and keeping the streets in order,” agreed Harald. “Let’s have a look at the market, shall we? It’s the first one since Mum died and I should make an appearance, I think.” He tied his red scarf around his neck – symbol of the mayor’s office – and the two went down the narrow stairs to the front door.

“You’ll have to make a more important appearance soon,” said Telien. “Did you hear the news?”

Harald had many ways of hearing the news. He said, “Wanderers in the Wild. Rangers, crying doom. Their party is staying at the Pony.” They were walking downhill from the good residential section of Bree, where houses were two-story stone and the streets were paved – yes, paved – with Brandywine river gravel. Also, a Hobbit family from one of the outlying villages had found a way to chop tree branches and saplings to make a rough mulch. Parts of Bree actually had side trails of springy shredded bark as a result.

“This beats mud,” observed Telien.

Harald was not so sure. “I miss mud,” he said. “If this drought continues, wells could dry up. Livestock could die. Crops already are withering. As for that bunch of Archet Hobbits, downed tree limbs might be the best crop they can come up with this year. Of all the things we don’t need just now, it is scary stories from uncivilized folk. I want you at the meeting, Telien. The Captain of Guard must hear with his own ears if this is a credible threat.” And Telien nodded.

They were now come to the place of the market fair, a little dell in the Bree Hill just south of The Prancing Pony Inn. In former times it had been grassy and green. Now it was dull and browning. That was not the only change.

“Where is everyone?” wondered Telien. For many of the accustomed stalls and stands were not there. It was the middle of Halimath yet noticeably lacking was the fall produce of the rich outlying farms. In their places stood the stalls of Hobbit townsfolk, displaying their cottage-made crafts. The crowd of Z
Old 11-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #79
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

That was really strange! I hit the button to respond and the post disappeared!?

I could have sworn Arestevana's post also disappeared.

Here's what I said....Thanks, Beren. Just let me know where you want me to paste it.

Cami
Old 11-10-2003, 03:24 PM   #80
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

test...