User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #121
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam proudly took the driver's position in the wagon, waited for the others to hop in, and started off. He drove with an air of certainty and self-assuredness, but in truth he wasn't completely comfortable driving yet, and it required his full attention. He answered very shortly when anybody said anything to him, and the conversation soon included only the other children.

Wonder where Cami is, Sam thought as he guided the wagon along. She ought to be here, shouldn't she? Any road, she's a better driver than I am, that's for certain. He shrugged. She must be doing something else. He did wish that she was here though, or he was there. He and Cami fought a lot, there was no doubt about that, but he always felt better when his cousin was around. He did occasionally resent the fact that she was a year his elder, but he took comfort in not being the oldest, having somebody above him to look to for guidance. At least she'd be there when it came time to actually deal with Sandyman.

"I hope Ted Sandyman won't be too mean." He heard Elanor's voice beside him, and she sounded worried. The stretch of road ahead was clear and straight, so Sam took a risk and looked over at her, smiling.

"Don't worry," he said confidently, looking back to the road, "I don't expect we'll have much trouble." He didn't know if it reassured Elanor, but hearing himself say it reassured him a little bit. "Cami will know how to handle it," he added, a little surprised at himself for actually saying it out loud. "I mean, I could, too, but Cami will be there, that is," he finished, attempting to look grown-up. He tried to ignore Elanor's grin.

Finally Cami caught up with them, apologized for being late and hopped into the wagon. Naturally he teased her, but he was quite glad to see her. Now there would be no problem in handling Sandyman.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #122
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was lucky that the seat in the wagon was wide enough to fit all four hobbits. But then, it could also be that they were small enough to fit comfortably. At any rate, now that Cami was also in the wagon, Elanor was between Sam and Marigold. It's an Elanor and Marigold sandwich! She thought amusedly, and mentioned it aloud. Sam's words had almost quelled her anxieties about having to approach the unpleasant miller.

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #123
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

"It's an Elanor and Marigold sandwich!"

Sam laughed aloud when Elanor said that. He was feeling quite a bit better, now that Cami was with them. But they had just rounded the last corner before they arrived at Ted Sandyman's, so that elation was quickly quelled. It was a bright, sunny day, but Sam could swear that there was a curtain of dark stormclouds behind the mill, and he could almost hear claps of thunder in the distance. He frowned.

Come on, Sam, get a hold of yourself, he thought fiercely. You shouldn't let Sandyman get you upset so. Anyways, Cami's here now. You might not even have to deal with the miller at all! If nothing else, that last thought reassured him. "Almost there," he shouted to his passengers.

"Sounds fine, Ms. Brandybuck!" Biffo remarked. "Fine, indeed."

Melilot grinned. "It's Bracegirdle, Master Proudfoot," she said, with a touch of feigned indignance. "I'm no Brandybuck. No, no, it's fine," she added, when Biffo began to apologize. "It's fine. Similar names, if you don't know the people so well. Though I don't doubt that we'll know each other quite a bit better before this trip is done. Especially if we decide to camp." The last part was said a little thoughtfully. "But I don't doubt that my uncle will be able to give us good prices. But bandits had been mentioned. How...how reliable are these reports?" she asked, looking around the table. Talk of bandits roaming around her dear Shire worried Melilot. She didn't like this at all, and hoped that it was simply the talk of Inn-goers who had enjoyed their drink a little heavily. She waited for responses.

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:13 AM   #124
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the cart pulled up in front of the old mill, the children piled out onto the grass. Cami bounded up the steps and pounded insistently on the door.

A grumbling sound came from inside, "Hold yer horses. Hold yer horses. Don't be in such a rush." Then there was the sound of a hobbit putting down a large platter of food and padding up to the front of the house to find out who had caused that commotion. Cami suddenly found herself looking into the eyes of Ted Sandyman, the young son of the Old Miller who went by the same name as his father.

"Where's your father, Ted?" Cami demanded.

A broad grin played over the lad's features. "He's gone for the day, and maybe tomorrow too. If you wanna do business, it's gonna have to be with me." The boy glared at the children, who were younger than him by a year or two, casting an especially mean glance towards Sam.

Cami looked grimly at her friends, making no attempt to mask her displeasure. This was even worse than dealing with the lad's father who, though gruff and loud, was at least accounted to be fair-minded. The younger Ted was generally judged to be a rascal by everyone who knew him.

Rascal or not, they had little choice if they wanted to get flour for Bilbo. They'd have to put up with Ted's nastiness and rudeness to buy the things they needed for the party.

Cami explained how much flour they needed, and asked Ted to go down to the mill and bring up all the bags. Then she squatted down on the doorstep, with Elanor and Marigold at her side, and waited for the lad to return.

As Ted walked off towards the shed that doubled as a storeoom, he muttered under his breath, "Them's strange folk at Bag-end. They're up to no good, I suspect. And those Gamgees aren't any better. And Cami....what a pain! She thinks she's queen of the Shire. I'd love to teach her a lesson or two!"

Ted put the sacks on a large flat wagon and easily rolled them out to the front of the house, but refused to help the children transfer the flour into their pony cart. So, for the next hour, the four of them pulled and tugged till they managed to get everything loaded.

"That'll be six silver coins," Ted sneered back at Cam.

The girl took out her purse and began searching for the money to pay the miller, but no matter how hard she looked or shook the bag, she could spot only one silver coin. All the rest were only copper pennies.

Cami's heart dropped to the bottom of her furry toes. She knew she'd tucked the silver coins in before she'd left Bag-end. What could possibly have happened to them? Then she remembered the scene in the bakery where her purse had fallen to the ground. Trusting soul that she was, Cami wondered if perhaps Lotho had mistakenly left some of her coins strewn about underfoot.

She began explaining the mix-up that had happened, and asked Ted for a minute to run back to the baker and check for the coins. Ted grinned broadly, since he suddenly saw the exact opening he'd been hoping for. He would indeed teach this girl a lesson for having him bring out so many sacks of flour and spoiling his lazy afternoon.

He grabbed Cami rudely by the arm and started to yell directly in her face, "Yer no better than a thief. I'm takin' you to the shirriff, and he'll lock you up good. I saw him this afternoon having a little break in the Green Dragon, and that's where we're going now."

Then Ted started dragging Cami away. The girl turned back towards her friends, crying out desperately to them, "Help! Heeelp! Go get Bilbo, or Sam's dad, or mine. Go get somebody. He really means to do this!" Ted grinned with delight to see the girl squirm so uncomfortably.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-05-2003, 07:41 AM   #125
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor stared after Cami, frozen in fear. For a moment, she didn't know what to do, but in the next second she grabbed Sam and Marigold's hands and started pulling them towards the wagon.

"Let's go!" She shouted, jumping back onto the wagon. "Hurry, before it's too late! Straight to Uncle Bilbo, he'll help us!"

She shoved Sam into the driver's seat and helped Marigold up. Once they were all in, Elanor clasped her hands tightly together in her lap, a tight knot growing in her stomach.

"Oh, hurry!" She moaned. "Hurry, hurry!" The Sheriff wouldn't really lock Cami up, would he? The thought nagged at Elanor all during the ride to Mr. Bilbo's Bag-End.

What will Mr. Bilbo say? Elanor thought, in dismay. What if Frodo finds out? She clenched her hands so tightly together her knuckles turned white.

"Hurry," She whispered, as if that would make things any better.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #126
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Once or twice, Cami tried to wriggle out of Ted's iron grip, hoping to pry herself loose and scamper off to the safety of Bag-end. Sadly, however, the lad was quite a bit taller and heavier than she was so it was difficult for her to fight back with any chance of success. No matter how much she pushed and pulled, or kicked out with her feet, she couldn't manage to get free. All the while, Ted stared at her malevolently, throwing out taunts and jibes to make her feel even worse.

One time, Cami managed to get a good square kick into Ted's behind. Then he made her stop a minute, and untie the sash that she wore about her waist. He wrenched it out of her hands and used it to bind her feet together, almost like a pair of fetters, then continued dragging her forward in the direction of the Inn.

By the time the pair had reached the Dragon, which stood some ten minutes away in Bywater, Cami was a frightful sight. Her hair stood up on end, flying off in every direction, her eyes were brimming over with tears, and there were small bruises on her right arm in the exact spot where Ted had latched onto her.

The miller's son triumphantly mounted the steps of the Inn and yanked the door open, holding Cami securely by the collar. Waving the small purse in the air, he called out in a loud voice so everyone could hear, "Innkeeper, shirriff, I've caught me a thief! It's that nasty girl Camelia who hangs around Bag-end. She and her gang refused to pay for their sacks of flour, and she's been trying to pummel me into the ground ever since I nabbed her."

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #127
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Stumbling into the wagon, Sam snapped the reins and the pony took off at full speed. His previous uncertainties about driving gone, Sam sped down the road. Please let Cami be okay, he prayed silently. Please don't let that Ted do anything to her.

The road rushed below them as they galloped down the road. The pony hit a hole in the road and stumbled. Sam muttered a harsh word, and the girls stared at him. "Sorry," he said, a flush rising to his face. But he had nothing to fear, for the pony recovered herself and kept right on going. "Come on, girl," he whispered, "please hurry." He began to whisper a little litany under his breath, "hurry, hurry, please girl, hurry..." over and over again until they finally got to Bagshot Row.

As soon as they arrived he hopped out of the cart and helped the girls out. "Marigold, you go get Dad. Elanor, you get Mr. Bilbo. I'll...I'll go get Cami's dad."

The girls nodded and took off, and Sam hopped back in the cart. "Once more, girl, you've done so well," he said to the patient pony, and they took off to Cami's house.

It only took a minute to get there. Sam tripped out of the cart, picked himself up and hurried to the door, where he knocked ceaselessly until it was answered.

"No need to knock the door down, I'm coming!" Obo Goodchild, Cami's father and Sam's uncle, opened the door. "Sam! What's the matter? You look a wreck!"

Sam instinctively took a look at himself. It was true, he wasn't in the best of conditions: his hands were cut in a few places and his trousers ripped at one knee, and he was covered in dust. He dreaded to think what his mother would say if she could see him right now, but now wasn't the time for that. "Uncle Obo, it's Cami!" he cried, and spilled the whole story. He spoke so fast and so emotionally that his uncle had to ask him to repeat himself in several parts, but before too long the story came out so that it was understood.

"Marigold's telling my dad, and Elanor's telling Mr. Bilbo," Sam finished, breathing hard. "But we have to hurry! Ted's--"

"Sam. Get in the wagon," Obo said, calmly and firmly. Sam hopped into the driver's seat, then scooted over to allow his uncle to drive.

"We have to go pick everybody else up now. Elanor's at Bag End and Marigold's at my house," Sam said. Obo nodded, and they took off to get the others.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #128
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Marigold was so overwhelmed with what was going on. Ted had dragged Cami away while Marigold had been frozen to the spot before Elanor had come to her senses and pulled her into the cart. As they were driving Sam seemed worried and the pony tripped up, he had said something which she didn't quite understand but knew straight away it wasn't something he'd say in front of their parents.

The cart had come up to Bagshot row and Marigold had been instructed to find her dad and help Cami. There's no way that Cami is gonna get locked up, its not possible. She kept repeating in her mind. She burst through the door and ran to her dad. She splurted out everything at once so he couldn't understand what she was saying but he calmed her down and asked her to explain it properly.

"We went to the miller's to get flour for... uhh for something and the miller wasn't there but his son was there so Cami asked him for the flour but then she didn't have the right coins so she asked if she could go get some more but Ted wouldn't let her and he said that he was going to bring her to the sherrif and get her locked up!" She finished out of breath and looked up to her father.

"Okay" her father sighed, "We'd better go get Cami's father and see what we can do" He held her hand and she followed him outside.
"Actually dad, Sam has gone to get Cami's father. I think we'll meet back here"
Her father's presence had definetely calmed her down. Everything's going to be alright now. she thought.

She had been a bit worried that her dad might ask questions about why they were at the mill in the first place but thankfully he hadn't mentioned it, hopefully Marigold wouldn't be the one who would have to explain it all to him. The two of them stood silently and waited for the others to come.

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 02-06-2003, 07:16 AM   #129
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor ran to Bag-End as fast as her short little legs could carry her, and arrived there moments later, breathless.

"What on Middle Earth is the matter?" Bilbo exclaimed, upon seeing her. "Where are the others? Why aren't you at Ted Sandyman's? Where is the flour?"

She hurriedly explained the situation to him.

"Oh dear!" He gasped, and quickly scrambled back into his hole. He came out with a bag of jingling something- probably gold coins that he would use to save Cami.

Frodo appeared in the entranceway. "Elanor!" He exclaimed, a pleased look coming over his face, which was immediately replaced by a look of the utmost bewilderment. "What are you doing here? Uncle Bilbo? What's going on?"

"Don't you worry about anything, Frodo," Elanor said, putting a false note of cheerfulness in her voice. If he knew about Cami! Suddenly, a stab of jealousy pierced her heart. If Ted Sandyman had taken her prisoner, would Sam, Marigold, and Cami have cared so much about her? She shook her head. Don't be so foolish, Elanor, don't think such selfish thoughts. Now you have to concentrate on saving Cami . . . don't think like that . . .

"Come on, Uncle Bilbo!" She said at last, and the two of them dashed out of Bag-End to meet Sam in Bag-Shot row.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-07-2003, 05:27 AM   #130
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Decisions, Decisions

The meeting at Olo Proudfoot's house had gone very quiet. It was a lot for hobbits to be expected to deal with - a choice between sleeping with a tree root for a pillow, or straining their purses on a trip around the Shire gathering supplies. On top of which, the prospect of bandits seemed more likely than it had since most of them could remember.

Biffo Proudfoot had seemingly made up his mind. He obviously favoured staying at Inns, and his (quite pointy) ears had perked up at Melilot's suggestion of cheap rates. But it seemed there was also a good case to be made for sleeping out, especially if it turned out that there had been no bandits all along.

Just as the silence seemed to fill the whole room, and the threat of a pin dropping and bursting their ears looked all too likely, Olo spoke up.

"I have... an idea," he said. "Since we don't have to decide until we stop for the night anyway, why don't we just head off right now! We can get the ponies, trot along to Frogmorton, and talk it over on the way."

Olo seemed quite chuffed with this proposition, and his nephew was nodding and stroking his chin with approval. Just like Uncle Olo to come up with something like that out of the blue. It's clear which side of the family the brains are on, thought Biffo resentfully. The younger Proudfoot thought he would be doing well to come up with something to beat that idea.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #131
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Primrose stared at Olo in complete shock and amazement. He was looking very proud of himself for this clever suggestion. Primrose thought for exactly thirty seconds, then stood up. "Right, then, let's go!" she said.

"But, Prim!" Melilot gasped. "We haven't decided enough yet!"

"Oh, I think we have," said Prim. "We can discuss the rest on the way, like Olo said. Come on, everyone, I'll take you to my house." She stopped at the door. "Actually, you all go to your houses and pack whatever you think you might need. You know, food and blankets and such, in case we do have to sleep out of doors." She paused. "And bring whatever you have, as well, even if it be a simple walking stick. Better safe than sorry. Meet me at my house after you've all finished packing. I have to talk to my father about the ponies alone."

= = = = = = =

Bowman arrived at Bag End and knocked on the door. Mr. Bilbo had better let me come or I won't be happy, he thought as he waited. But the door did not open, and there was no noise from the hole.

Bowman stepped back off the front steps and thought a moment. He's probably gone into town on some errand, he thought with a sigh. I'll follow.

He walked down onto the road and saw just what he was looking for... Footprints. Nice, fresh footprints that clearly said Mr. Bilbo had just passed that way. And someone else had gone with him.

Bowman began to run down the path, bent to the ground so he would follow the footprints all the way. He kept on running until he bumped into something that cried, "Ouch!"

"Why, Bowman Proudfoot!" It was Mr. Bilbo with a little girl next to him. I know her, Bowman thought. Elanor Greenthumb. What is she doing?

"Yes, Mr. Bilbo," he replied. "I was just stopping over at your house to see if I could help you with anything."

"Help me? With what?"

"Oh, you know. Just anything you needed help with."

"Bowman, you're a sturdy lad. I do need your help. Ted Sandyman has kidnapped Cami."

Oh no. Camelia Goodchild was even worse than Elanor Greenthumb. But maybe if he helped Mr. Bilbo, he'd be allowed to help out with the party.

"All right," he said. "I'll have you save Camelia!" He would not call her Cami, whether it would help Mr. Bilbo think he was friends with her or not.

And off they hurried together, Bowman purposefully ignoring Elanor.

= = = = = = =

"Dad?" Primrose took three deep breaths. I'm only asking to borrow the ponies, she scolded herself. Stop being such a scaredy! Anyway, Dad is the only one left to ask now, and if he says no, we can find ponies elsewhere.

"Yes, Prim?" Mr. Tussock said, looking up at her. They were standing in the stable, and he had been cleaning one of the pony's feet.

"I want to know if I can borrow one of your ponies for… a trip."

"Borrow my ponies?"

"Just one, Dad. We need six, and I already have three to use, with the cart. That's four people. If you lend us another it'll make five."

"Us?"

"I'm going on a trip with… some friends."

"Ah, I see." He dropped the pony's foot and stood up straight. "Well, Ms. Tussock, let me think about it."

Prim groaned. She strongly disliked her father calling her 'Ms. Tussock,' and there wasn't any time to think about it. "Dad, we need the pony now.."

"All right," her father sighed. "Take him."

"Thank you, Dad!" she cried, throwing her arms around his neck. "Which one?"

"Take Etinel."

"Thanks even more, Dad. You know Etinel is my favorite."

"Yes, I know."

Primrose hurried over to the stall where Etinel had just finished his dinner. "Come on," she said, taking up a halter and slipping it on. She led him outside to wait for the others and hitch up her own pony to the cart.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #132
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor sighed. Great. Just one more finger in the pie, and to make it worse- Bowman Proudfoot! She couldn't stand him! Elanor continued walking along the way silently, her fingers crossed in her pockets, praying silently.

Please don't let Ted do anything to Cami . . . please, please, please . . . please let us get there in time . . .

She wondered what Marigold and Sam were doing now, and how successful they were.

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #133
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pearl was a bit suprised at the turn of things. They were leaving-already! And she hadn´t packed yet! Back at Vivi´s, she started packing. What would she need?

She considered the situation. Travelling on roads, no beds... some nice-looking, robust basics would be good. In blue, red and white, a cool cotton or linnen- perfect. She opened the closet with her stuff and started pulling out various itmes.

The blue-and-white-striped dress; her favourite summerskirt (red and wite polka-dots); two white dresses with colorfull aprons to match; a woolen jacket for colder days, two blouses, a raincoat...... yes, that would do.

She grabbed a small, pink bag and started filling it with her "beauty products": shampoo, soap, some grease for her hairstyling, a herb-and-milk-mixture for her skin- the basics.
Make-up? She decided on some lipgloss and mascara, no more. For her hair, she packed a HUGE bunch of ribbons in evey color you could imagine, also some clips to hold stubborn bangs in their place.

After having added some blankets, food supplies, her journal and money, Pearl looked at her bundle. Yes, that would do. She only needed two more things. The first was her most valubale and precious treasure. A beautiful necklace, with a pearl. It was her lucky charm, and she was sure she would need some luck. The other thing was her father´s sword. Well, technically it was hers, because he didn´t use it anymore. She would need it, with bandits around... speaking of, she had forgotten a first-aid case! After all, there was a good chance they might need it. She grabbed some herbs Vivi´s mom stored in the kitchen and added them to her pack. Then, she returned her thoughts on the sword. It was...somewhere in Tuckborough, unfortunately. But she needed it. Rather, she needed a sword.

"JOE!" she called. Vivi´s brother, one year her senior and basically her brother as well, appeared.

"Joe, can I PLEASE borrow your sword?? Please?"

He snorted. "What the heck do YOU need a sword for?"

She had thought about something, of course. "I promised Olo Proudfoot to help him with some shopping... he needs to organize a cousin´s wedding- in the Northfathering, you wouldn´t know them. And well, there´s dark folkes around, I need a sword... please???" It wasn´t even a complete lie, if you thought about it... she was sure Olo was related to Frodo in someway or the other, and wedding, birthday- where was the difference, anyway.

"Ok. Ok, you can have my sword. Don´t weasnt some rotten bandits to harm you, do I?"

She flung his arms around him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! You´re the best brother in the world!"

Grinning, Pearl grabbed her stuff and Joe´s sword, said good-bye to him, Mrs. Boldger and Vivi and- was off.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:31 PM   #134
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Walking out to the hallway, Biffo took up his tall staff, slung his coat over his shoulder, and plopped his felt hat on his head.

"Well, that's me packed!" he grinned at Olo.

"Oh, no it's not!" a female voice scolded from further down the passage. It was Maggie, Olo's wife.

"Biffo Proudfoot, you are not going off into the back of beyond without so much as a woolly blanket! What would your mother say?"

"I'm fine, aunty," the cornered hobbit replied. "Don't fuss so much!"

"You need a pillow, a cooking pot, a ladle, a bowl, not to mention a spare handkerchief!" Maggie began counting off items on her fingers.

"Yes, all well and good, Aunty, but Frogmorton's a mighty long way from here. Roughing it a little is hardly going to kill me, especially if we're at an Inn, now is it?"

"Now, now, Maggie," said Olo, stepping in between his nephew and his now fuming wife. "I'll take some things along for the lad. You go on ahead, Biffo. I have one or two things to take care of."

Biffo thanked his uncle curtly, nodded a rather sarcastic farewell to his wife, and strode off out the door. Once outside, he felt much less shut in, in more ways than one. Though the morning had been chill, it was now mid afternoon on a lovely day in early spring, and Biffo ambled along with Primrose just in sight a few hundred yards ahead of him.

After a few twists and turns, the hobbit came to the lane in Hobbiton where the Tussocks lived. Primrose went inside a hole near the end of the road, and Biffo slowed his pace. He soon came to a fenced yard with a lovely cobbled pathway leading up to Primrose's door. Biffo arrived as Primrose was hitching a pony up to the family cart.

"Good day for it!" Biffo remarked, and leaned against the fence to wait for the rest of the group.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:01 PM   #135
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Melilot wasn't looking forward to going home at all. True to her impulsive nature, she had made a promise that she wasn't sure she could keep. The conversation had gone something like this:

"Oh, by the way, Prim, we have a pony that I could bring along."

"Are you sure it's okay with your dad, Mel?"

"Oh, don't worry about it. He'll be fine with it--I'll just ask nicely."

"Well, if you say so, but isn't your dad sometimes a little..."

"Stubborn about this kind of thing? Yes, but this is a special case. He'll let me."

"You know him better than I do, I suppose."

"Really, Prim, don't worry about it. I've got it under control."

That was what had transpired, and now she had to follow up. "Wonderful," Melilot groaned as she opened the gate and went up to her house. "This ought to be fun."

Mr. Bracegirdle was sitting in the den, smoking a pipe and watching Melilot's younger brother, Nick, play. Melilot took a deep breath and went to kneel by her father's chair.

"Hi, Dad," she said, smiling winningly. She pushed a lock of curly hair behind her ear, and leaned her head against the armrest of the chair.

"Evening, Mel," her father said, smiling back at her. "Where were you all day?"

"Oh, out with Primrose Tussock," she said. "We were at Mr. Olo Proudfoot's house."

"Doing what?" Mr. Bracegirdle asked.

"This and that," Mel replied vaguely. "That was a good smoke-ring, Daddy," she commented when her father produced a particularly round one.

"Thank you, Mel," her father said suspiciously.

"You know, Daddy, you look very nice today," Mel continued.

"Mel, would you like to ask me something?" Mr. Bracegirdle asked, looking dubiously at his daughter, who was smiling in a peculiarly charming manner.

Melilot continued to smile, but she silently she groaned. This wasn't going quite the way she had wanted it to. So much for buttering him up: time to take the direct route. "Yes, Dad, I do have something to ask you," she said, her face solemn.

"Fire away," her father said.

"I told Prim that I could borrow Brynna for a trip we're going on, and it won't be that long, I promise. But we do need another pony, and I promised Prim that I'd be able to get her one, and I don't want to go back on my word, so can I please borrow Brynna?" Melilot's words came tumbling out without a break for breath, so when she was done she gasped and turned her smile on again.

Mr. Bracegirdle seemed a little stunned. "Well, Melilot, I don't know," he said. Melilot winced; when he called her by her full name it wasn't generally a good sign. "Brynna's our only pony, and it won't be easy to get on without her."

"I know, Daddy, but this is really for a good cause," Melilot said earnestly. Her mother, sitting on the floor with Nick, made a noise that sounded suspiciously like stifling a snicker.

"Oh, go on, Holfast," said Mrs. Bracegirdle, "you'll survive without Brynna for a while. Let the lass take her, just so long as she doesn't mess around. I trust Primrose not to lead Mel on a wild chase throughout the wilderness." She grinned. "And a good cause is a good cause, after all," she added solemnly.

There was a long pause. "Fine," Mr. Bracegirdle said finally, "take Brynna. Just be careful with her, won't you?"

"Thank you! I'll be so careful with her, she'll look better when she comes back than she did when she left!" Melilot exclaimed, throwing her arms around her father's neck. Nick screamed with delight and pounded his blocks on the floor, and Mrs. Bracegirdle smiled knowingly at her husband.

"Don't doubt it," Mr. Bracegirdle grumbled, fiddling with his pipe, "she's been looking a bit bored lately. Do her some good to be out and about, I suppose."

Melilot smiled, gave her father a kiss and her mother a grateful look, and went to pack.

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-09-2003, 09:22 PM   #136
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Silmaril

"Well now, that's a lot Maggie." Olo said looking at the luggage with wide, puzzld eyes. Maggie had two large bags packed with more than he thought he'd ever need. On top of that he had carried twice as much for Biffo's sake.

"Don't give me back talk Olo Proudfoot!"

Olo now hushed and listened to her. "You will not walk off unprepared. Don't forget your bow and arrow. Here now, strap your knife around your waist. And don't forget your pipe. Here's the pouch of weed."

"Daddy, how long do you think you will be gone."

"Not long enough for any of you to miss me darling." He said this with a wink and grin that suggested he had more to his thoughts than he had told the others.

"I am off now everyone. I'll be back soon. Dear, don't worry about me now."

Now heading off in the opposite direction from Prim's house, Olo started walking. He only went half a furlong when he arrived at his cousin Brumble.

"Hullo there, Brumble. How are you today? Brumble had seen him walking up and came out to meet him.

"Fine, fine. Olo, how are you?" he said, opening the door.

"I came by to ask you a favor, if you don't mind me being straightforward. I am helping out on a famly party. Nothing too huge now."

"Ahh, now your talking about Billbo and Frodo's party! Well, I got an invitation. Olo, you don't have to be coy now."

"Of course, Brumble I wasn't trying to be rude."

"You see, Olo, it would be a bad party if there was no food. That's what you're here for. My prize mushrooms, aren't you? I know that you are good friends with Frodo and Billbo. They probably asked you to come down now. Right?"

Now Olo was confused. Did he mention somthing to him ealier No, of course he was just guessing. But he did have good mushrooms though. He would have to remember that and tell the others.

"No, not right this minute Brumble. I came around this way to ask another favor. You don't need your Annabell for a while, right? Well I am helping the company of hobbits to gather supplies. Especially seeing your condition, good cousin."

"Yes indeed, good cousin." Laughing now and faining the words good cousin with friendship, Brumble stuck out his leg in the splint for Olo to see it.

"Yes, I can see it's still broken. I hope it gets better quickly. You got the last of the mushrooms out of the field first ,I hope."

"Ohh, now you are intersted in mushrooms, Olo, aren't you! Well, yes I did. So you can get some when you come back. Yes you may borrow Annabell. I hope she is helpful."

With Olo holding Brumble's arm and helping him to the barn they retrieved Annabell. Olo thanked Brumble once again for the pony and was off. The road to Prim's house was pretty straight but Annabell wouldn't be kind all the way over.

Suddenly there was a turn in the road. Left, left, you crazy beast, and slow down now. I'll have my lunch on your head soon if you don't.

Now Olo was in the middle of the woods....then gallopping quickly over a field....then back to the road. He was zig zagging across the road. Stop this, you crazy horse. I can't stay still on you. Come on now. HELP!! HELP!! I'VE BEEN TAKEN HOSTAGE BY A CRAZY HORSE.

Now in the confusion not only was Olo lost, but he was heading in what seemed the opposite direction. What direction was the right one? He could be going around in circles for all he knew.

A miracle happened then and there. He could see Prim's house in the distance. They could hear him coming in their direcion.

HELP! HELP! SOMEONE, THIS ANIMAL HAS GONE MAD. HELP, I'M GONNA BE SICK. OH ,DEAR, HELP!

Olo now let out a ghastly belch. I didn't eat that for lunch now!!! Biffo was already there as was Prim, since she lived there. The two hurried up to the gate to meet him. He had no control over the animal now. It rammed at the gate and tossed him onto the bush on the other side of the road from Prim's house.

Clunk whent Olo to the ground. Not as hard as it sounded of course. But Olo was left dazed and looking like a sack of potatoes.

His eyes whent rolling around like marbles in his head. "Thats the last time I ride a horse. Call me a liar, but I won't get on you again Annabell."

Biffo thought the sceen vary funny. He was concerned at first but saw that Olo was not hurt really. He was laughing at Olo loudly now.

"Uncle Olo, what ever got into you to bring a horse? Where did you get him? What ever got into you to ride him here?" He was laughing so hard now Olo couldn't help but join him.

"I don't know now Biffo. There was a road, then a field. At one point I thought he was going backwards!"

Prim seemed amused now that she saw Olo was fine. The horse was by the gate not minding them at all. He seemed to like some of the flowers in Prim's garden. He was chewing them happily when Prim's mother came out.

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #137
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"We're leaving??? Oh no, I don't know what to pack...some clothes, but which ones? And how many? Ok, I'll take these ones. And where's the bag Aunt Rosie gave me last year? It would be perfect to pack everything in there! Perhaps in this cupboard? No it isn't, but what about this nice little one? Perhaps I could put my money in it? But where's Rosie's bag? Oh dear, perhaps I should tidy up my room as soon as I get back again..."

Crystal was in her room, packing, and speaking busily to herself. She was excited, and, even if she wouldn't admit it, nervous. She had never been on a journey like this, especially not these days when there were so many bandits around! But she was looking forward to it because she was sure it would be a great time.

"Anything forgotten? Hm...she had clothes, some blankets and handkerchiefs, her money, food...and her sword. She was very proud of it since it was a real nice one, long and sharp, at least for a Hobbit, and it had a beautiful inscription on the balde. She couldn't read it but she loved it. Perhaps she should ask Bilbo Baggins if he could tell something about its meaning but she had never found the time to. And of course this sword reminded her of her first "adventure" when she got lost in Bree.

"Well I think that's all I need for the journey" she thought.

She packed everything in Aunt Rosie's bag which was under der bed, behind some huge boxes with stuff she never knew she possessed at all ("I REALLY should tidy up everything here when I'm back!") and went downstairs.

She said goodbye to her family, hugged her mother, and went down the road to the Tussock's house.

Before she got there she had to stop at the neighbour's house. Adamanta Willow, a close friend of her parents, had a pony and Crystal had asked her to borrow it for the journey.

She didn't spend a long time with Adamanta, just saying hello, getting the pony ready, and off she was again. Fortunately she could ride pretty good so she had no problems with the pony.

From afar she heard screams. What was going on there? She began to ride faster and finally saw Olo Proudfoot trying to ride on a pony. It looked very amusing but still she was nervous-what if he fell off and broke his leg or even worse? After some time he DID fall off, but it seemed as if nothing had happened to him. Crystal was relieved and rode slower.

Some of the other Hobbits were already there. She could see Pearl, or better, Pearl's bag. Who else would travel with such a terrible pink bag obivously full of make-up?

Finally she had arrived at the Tussock's house. She smiled and said hello.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #138
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Obo smartly snapped the reins over the pony's back and sent the cart flying down the length of Bagshot Row. He stopped in front of Hamfast's place to pick up the others who had hurriedly gathered there on the front doorstep.

Mister Bilbo had Elanor and another hobbit in tow whom Obo had not seen before. Marigold ran out and began to climb up onto the wagon.

Bilbo quickly introduced the lad who'd come along with him, "Bowman Proudfoot, here." He briefly explained. "He's agreed to come and help us, and I wasn't about to turn his assistance down!"

The boy fixed a stubborn eye on Obo, but then grudgingly nodded his head to acknowledge the older man. The farmer said nothing in reply, but wondered how this lad had managed to ingratiate himself with Bilbo. He seemed to be a bit disrespectful, and was certainly not to Obo's liking. A thought ran through the farmer's mind. I certainly hope Camelia doesn't take a liking to this one!

Then they turned the cart about and set it on the main road that led in the direction of Bywater and the Green Dragon Inn. Just as they reached the door of the Inn, Obo turned about to Bilbo and said with some concern, "I hope my daughter hasn't been a nuisance again. I know Camelia's always hanging about Bag-end. If you'd like, I'll keep her at home and put her to some honest work, so she'll stay out of your affairs."

Bilbo shook his head, "Not at all, not at all. Cami is a great help to us. Don't give it a second thought."

Bilbo briefly explained about the party and the errand that the children had been sent out on, and what had happened at the Mill.

Obo shook his head, "I don't like the sound of it! Cami's no thief, but if she's been so careless with your money, she'll have to be taught a lesson. I won't have you paying all that for her, when she's the one responsible for this mix-up."

Bilbo put his hand on Obo's shoulder. "Now let's not jump to any conclusions. Perhaps there's something else going on here."

Just at that instant, they pulled up to the Inn, and eveyone got out of the cart. As the five hobbits walked in through the main entryway, every guest in the common room looked up and sat on the edge of their chair, listening eagerly to see what was going to happen. Ted was still standing over Cami and shrieking accusations at the top of his lungs. The shirriff was trying to calm the lad down, while Cami was hunched up into a miserable ball and looked as if she was about to burst out crying.

The minute Mister Bilbo walked in, everyone fell silent. The shiriff nodded his head towards him, and the Innkeeper gave a polite nod. However eccentric Bilbo was judged by others in the community, no one could deny that the name of Baggins carried a great deal of authority in the environs of Hobbiton and Bywater. Now, that he was here, they were quite happy to defer to him to straighen out this matter, especially when he carried such a large bag of coins by his side.

"Excuse me, Mister Bilbo," the shirriff began, "But can you throw any light onto this problem? Is this lass a thief who's been misusing the good name of Baggins, or has there been some misunderstanding?"

At this point, Cami unwrapped herself from her tiny ball, took one long look at Bowman Proudfoot, and began to sob in earnest.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #139
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell had left and was now at her house eagerly packing all her supplies. She packed everything into the backpack hurriedly, not taking much time to organise it all. She did not want to be late again, and she still had to go over to Estella's to get the pony.

As soon as she was finished, she grabbed some toast and ran out the door. As she neared a giant oak tree, she slowed down, munching on her toast happily. She thought about Frodo, and the look on his face when he realised what they had done for him. She smiled intently and looked down the road to where her friend Estella was busy working in her garden.As Annabell neared the hobbit, Estella looked up and smiled brightly.

"Anna! Where have you been? I haven't seen you all day! And look at you, all packed to go somewhere? I suppose your not just here to say goodbye!" She looked at Annabell suspiciously.

"Well,no. I need to go somewhere for awhile and, I need to borrow your pony!" She smiled innocently, digging her heals into the ground.

"Hmmm, well you can borrow Marty if you like, but where might you be off to all of a sudden?" She said as she wiped her hands on her old green dress. But when Annabell made no sign of answering she smiled slightly and pointed to the small stable at the side of her hole. "Fine then Bell, but remember this the next time you want to know something from me!"

Annabell grinned and thanked her friend as she walked over to the stable. Marty seemed pleased to see her and rubbed his nose against her face. She led him out and down the street, thanking Estella again.

She headed for Prim's house, patting Marty on the back gently. It took some time, for Estella did not live too close to Prim, but Annabell did not mind long walks. When she finally arrived she looked around the front yard and all the brightly coloured flowers. She had never been a good gardener, but she loved flowers of all kinds. Annabell opened the gate and walked down the cobblestone path towards the small blue door on the side of the hill, still interested in the flowers. She knocked on the door and Prim's mother soon opened the it smiling politly and let Annabell inside.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #140
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

As Cami began to cry, Bowman rolled his eyes. Just like a girl! Well, he wouldn't say anything, or Mr. Bilbo wouldn't let him help out with the party. Best do something brave, he thought.

Mr. Bilbo was about to say something when Bowman stepped forward. "There's been some great misunderstanding," he said airily. "Mr. Bilbo will tell you that. But Ted Sandyman should know it is very rude to beat up on a poor, little, weak - " he was looking straight at Cami as those three words passed his lips " - girl who can't take care of herself. A gentleman would never do that. But, of course, Ted is no gentleman."

Bowman strode across the floor, right past Ted and over to Cami. "Stop crying like a baby," he hissed, pulling her to her feet. "Just like a girl!" Then he led her over to Mr. Bilbo, a very heroic expression on his face. Cami fell into her father's arms, still crying, and Bowman stepped back to glare at Ted Sandyman.

"Hey, wait!" Ted shouted. "That girl - " But Mr. Bilbo interrupted.

"There has been a great misunderstanding," he said, and went on to explain everything, and then the two girls told their side of the story.

Having finished, Mr. Bilbo looked squarely at the shiriff, while Bowman continued to stand there, arms crossed, glaring at Ted and rolling his eyes at the same time. Girls always got into trouble, didn't they? Girls always needed the men to help them, didn't they? They were always crying, always screaming, always... He sighed. Girls!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:18 PM   #141
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

The hobbits smiled at each other, some of them laughing. At last they were in Waymoot! It had been a two day journey, and very difficult. They had camped outside, and though many protested against it, they had no choice. There was no Inn nearby. Then, as soon as they set out the next morning, it had begun to rain.

They were wet, tired, but very happy to be there. Primrose turned to them all and said, "Well, we're here. I'd like to say a few words before we begin shopping.

"As you know, we don't have very long until the 22nd. So we're going to shop here as quickly as we can, and we're not going to stay at an Inn. We're going to move straight on."

Groans and dismal looks.

"We'll dash to Michel Delving, then to Tuckborough, and then straight back. We're not going to be visiting every town in the Shire. If we find there's something we don't have, and need to get, then we'll just buy it at Hobbiton and Bywater.

"Now we can start shopping! Go in pairs. Unfortunately we have an odd number of companions, so they'll be three in one group. Olo and Biffo; Crystal and Pearl; Melilot, Annabell, and myself will go together."

Primrose pulled out three sacks of coins. "Each group will get one of these," she said, handing them out. "Buy whatever you think necessary, but do not buy anything unless it is for the party. No, you can't buy clothes to wear at the party. When you run out of money, we'll meet back here. Let's go!"

They hurried off to begin shopping.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #142
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Sam began to breathe again once they arrived at the Inn. Now they had adults on their side; this would be taken care of in no time. No need to worry now!

When they got into the common room, Sam spotted Cami immediately, huddled in a little ball, and Ted, who was shouting about what a thief Cami was. It took all of Sam's will power to keep from running up and slugging him, but he knew that that wouldn't solve anything, and it might even make Ted look like he was telling the truth. And that was the last thing Sam wanted to do.

He opened his mouth to talk, but Bowman beat him to it. Frustrated, Sam scowled at him and crossed his arms. What business of his was this? None, that's what. Cami wasn't his cousin, not even his friend. Sam's scowl deepened. Poor, little, weak? He didn't know what he was talking about.

And Sam didn't want to travel with him.

He pulled Elanor over to the side. "Elanor, I'm thinking that I don't like this Bowman," he said in a low voice.

"I'm thinking that I agree," Elanor said. Sam shot a glare at Bowman, who wasn't paying any attention, but showing off.

"I don't think I want to travel with him," Sam continued.

"I don't think so either," Elanor agreed. She stopped stiff, and looked at Sam. "Um, what are you thinking, exactly? Making him leave?"

Sam chuckled humourlessly. "That'd be like trying to rise the sun at midnight. He's stubborn if nothing else."

"Then what?" Elanor protested.

"Well..." Sam considered. "I guess we'll just have to leave."

"What!" Elanor exclaimed. At Sam's frantic shushing motions she lowered her voice. "What! Leave? Are you serious, Sam? Because if not, that's not a funny joke."

"It's no joke, Elanor, I couldn't stand to work with him," Sam replied seriously. "And if we fight, that'll only make things worse and who knows? Maybe Frodo'll overhear."

"Oh," Elanor said, swayed by his logic. "Well, if you think it's for the best..."

Truthfully, Sam didn't know at all if it was for the best. All he knew was that he couldn't stand to work with Bowman Proudfoot.

They waited out Cami's rescue and savored hearing Ted Sandyman told off, and agreed on a time to meet that night. They decided that they'd still help with the party, so they would stow away in one of the carts that the travelling hobbits were using.

And that night, they did.

Sam roused himself about an hour before the appointed meeting time, wrote out a quick note telling his parents that he and Elanor had gone with the travelling hobbits, packed a few things in one of his father's old sacks, and quietly stepped out the window. He met Elanor halfway, and they started off.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #143
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After the drama of the day, Marigold was happy to get home. Everything had been sorted out and Cami was fine. The only problem at the end of the day had to be Bowman Proudfoot. He had been such a show off and full of himself that she hated the thought of him helping them with the party. She could tell that Sam wasn't happy about this either and he'd seemed quite strange when they'd got home.

That night Marigold woke up to the sound of feet running outside, but she told herself it was a dream and that everything was alright.

Marigold woke up feeling lovely and refreshed the next morning, she stretched and yawned, wishing she could go back to sleep but now she was awake she didn't bother. It seemed that everyone was still asleep so she tip-toed out of the room into the kitchen. She got herself a drink but accidently spilt a little on the table. She quickly got a cloth and cleared it up but noticed a piece of paper.

Not sure what to expect she picked it up and read it casually.
Dear mum and dad,
I'm sorry to say this but me and Elanor are going to go with the travelling hobbits. Please don't worry about me, I'll be fine.
From Sam

Marigold yelled for her mum and dad and nearly collapsed to the floor. She couldn't believe Sam would just leave like that, without telling her anything, without even saying goodbye.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:16 AM   #144
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

If any of the neighbors had cared to walk past Bagshot Row #1 anytime that evening, they would quickly have realized that things were not well with the Goodchild family. Cami stood stiffly before the hearth, her hands clasped behind her back, pretending to listen to her father's stern lecture which he was delivering at the top of his lungs. She desperately wished that she could shrink and melt into the floor. It was bad enough that she'd somehow managed to lose all of Bilbo's money, but her tears in the Inn and Bowman's rude words and gloating face made the whole incident that much worse. She felt so terribly, terribly foolish.

"Camelia Goodchild! Have you heard anything I've said to you?"

Cami hung her head and whispered, "Yes, sir, every word." In truth, she remembered very little.

"Then you will do what I say?"

Cami nodded meekly, wondering exactly what she was agreeing to do.

Her father continued with his explanation, and, for the first time, she began to get an inkling of what lay in store for her.

"You must learn responsibility. When you lose money that does not belong to you, you must find a way to pay that person back. It is the only respectable thing to do."

Her father fixed a steely eye on her. "Cami, we are not a rich family, but we value our reputation and our word. You will pay Bilbo back every penny you owe him, even if it takes the next ten years."

Cami wondered silently where she would ever find such a large sum. She occasionally earned pennies doing errands for the neighbors or at the Green Dragon, but it would take a huge stack of pennies to make up the value of even a single silver coin. Her father seemed to be saying that working for Bilbo himself would not do the trick, since the gentleman was so softhearted that he would let her off too easily.

Her father's voice kept droning on. "Therefore, you will set aside your studies for the next two weeks. You are fortunate I was able to secure a position for you. You may continue helping with Frodo's party in the morning, but every afternoon and evening you will engage in honest labor and pay back the money you lost."

Cami's ears perked up. At least her father was not completely forbidding her from going to Bag-end. And working in a "position" actually might be interesting. She'd done chores and errands but "position" sounded important and quite grown up. Maybe things would not turn out so badly.

"Therefore," her father continued, "I have taken the liberty of speaking with Mistress Sackville-Baggins. She needs someone to do hard labor around the farm, and she thinks you may fit the bill, as long as you are respectful to her, and mind your manners."

Cami's heart sank to the bottom of her toes. How perfectly dreadful....to go to work for that horrible woman and her pushy son. For an instant, Cami thought of arguing with her father, or telling him how she had found Lotho's button at the very sight where Belle had met her accident. Normally, he would have listened, but Cami realized that, right now, he was too angry to listen properly to anything. So she nodded her head in agreement and kept her comments to herself.

"Tomorrow afternoon, you will go to Bag-end. Master Bilbo has generously offered to accompany you and introduce you to Mistress
Lobelia. And, Cami, I know he will try to say that you needn't pay the money back, but I'll have none of it. None of it at all. You are to work for Miss Lobelia who has generously promised you five silver coins if you work very, very hard."

"And, oh yes, you'll be sleeping over there as well, so make sure and pack a few clothes."

With little choice in the manner, Cami gave her consent and dragged herself off to bed. The Sackville-Baggins family and Bowman Proudfoot....what a terrible combination! Still, she comforted herself with the thought that Sam would be there to help in the mornings with the party, and even Elanor whom she'd become increasingly fond of.

And, of course, there was her duty to Frodo and Bilbo. She would honor her word, no matter what, even if it meant she'd have to put up with some miserable hobbit folk. And in just a few weeks, there'd be a lovely party to enjoy. Cami rolled over, dwelling on these pleasant thoughts, and drifted off to sleep.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #145
Merri
Wight

Sting

Never in her wildest dreams had Elanor supposed that she and Sam would actually set off with the travelling hobbits . . .nor, indeed, that Sam himself would come up with the suggestion. She looked at him in admiration. Maybe there's more to him than I ever suspected, she thought to herself, as they set off in the pale moonlight.

But the knowledge that what they were doing would be very much frowned upon by most hobbits in the company made Elanor extremely nervous. She started at the slightest noise, and walking close to Sam on the road, just in case something would reach out and grab her.

"I wish we could have left in the daytime," She whispered to Sam. Even her voice sounded frightening in the ominous darkness of night.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #146
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The next morning, very early, Cami had presented herself at Bilbo's front door. Her teacher nodded 'good day' and came outside with his walking stick, as the two hobbits deftly made their way over the back paths and lanes to the house where Lobelia and her family lived. As they hurried along, not wanting to be late, they chatted with each other about what was going to happen once they reached their destination.

"I really wish your father would not insist on this," Bilbo added with a sigh. "I would rather not have you working there. I understand your dad wants you to learn about money and responsibility, although I certainly don't feel it's necessary for you to repay those coins. Still, I wish he had allowed you to work for me. I have plenty to do in the house and garden that goes beyond the party itself. And, at least in Bag-end, I could keep a close eye on you and know that you were fine."

At first, Cami wondered what Bilbo meant by that. Why wouldn't she be "fine" working at the Sackville-Baggins residence? Then she remembered the button she'd discovered behind the tree in the exact same location where Belle's little accident had taken place. Cami forced her thoughts away from that unpleasant subject, and vowed to concentrate on making a good impression on her boss.

A few knocks later, Miss Lobelia came to open the door and let them in. Cami had hoped Miss Lobelia would serve her a few cookies with tea, the same way her own parents would have done when anyone came calling. But there were no cookies and tea, and, indeed, there was much unpleasantness. Miss Lobelia made Cami stand up straight as a ramrod and stared her up and down the same way a hobbit might do if he was about to buy a pony. At one point, she actually tried poking and prodding Cami's upper arm with the tips of her fingers to find out how big her muscle was. Bilbo had cleared his throat, glared back rudely, and put a quick stop to that behavior.

The two adult hobbits spent some time debating Cami's duties and hours and the money she would earn. Miss Lobelia's voice sounded smooth as silk, but whatever she was saying didn't please Bilbo greatly, as there was considerable bickering back and forth. Finally, when all the discussion was over, the two hobbit shook hands on the bargain, although Bilbo still didn't look terribly happy. He did agree that young Cami could stay for the morning to help with Lobelia's errands and chores.

Just as the hobbit was about to leave and return to Bag-end, he fished inside his pocket and pulled out a large brass button that looked familiar to Cami. "Excuse me, but your son wouldn't have lost his button from his waistcoat? I found it near the road."

Miss Lobelia was about to reach out and snatch the missing button from Bilbo's hand, when suddenly she thought better of it and abruptly pulled back. [i] Best not, I still don't know the full tale behind that coat, or what Lotho was doing. Anyways, nasty Bilbo is sure to misrepresent my dear son's actions and find some way to turn it to his own advantage. [/b]

She fluttered her eyelashes coyly, and smiled, "So sorry. You must be mistaken. I've never seen that button before."

Bilbo thought Loblia's voice didn't sound quite right, but he let it go for now, filing the information to the back of his mind. Cami looked about desperately, beginning to feel she should never have come here, even under her father's orders. She gave a last urgent hug to her teacher as he stepped outside Lobelia's threshold. Then Bilbo leaned down to Cami and whispered inside her ear, "Watch your step! She's up to no good. I can smell it in the air. I'll come back after lunch to pick you up. Just be careful." Then, he headed back to Bag-end, with his brow deeply furled, worrying about how Cami would fare.

The instant that he left, Lobelia went to retrieve a small envelope from deep within her desk, applied some postage, and handed it to Cami. "Run as fast as you can to the Green Dragon Inn, and put this in the morning post that leaves for Bree." Cami sprinted along the roadway as quickly as she was able, eager to impress her Mistress with her willingness and speed. As she raced along, she took one quick glance at the envelope that had been entrusted to her. It was addressed to a lady at the Prancing Pony whose name she had never heard. Strangely enough, the name sounded as if it belonged to one of the big folk. Why would Miss Lobelia have business with one of the big folk of Bree? But, then, that was none of her concern. She pushed the idea out of her head, and pumped her legs even harder than before.

When she arrived back at the Sackville-Baggins residence, barely half an hour later, Miss Lobelia lectured her sternly on being a sluggard and dragging her feet. Cami stared stubbornly down at her toes, suddenly overwhelmed by the realization that however hard she worked, whatever feats of wonder she managed to perform, Miss Lobelia would still find a reason to berate her.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #147
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Evelina read the large and flowing script, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. She skimmed it quickly, then slowly, concentrating on the words. From a hidden pocket, Evelina extracted a quill and spare parchment and scratched a quick note. She slipped it carefully into a small hole in the side of the wooden building she had leaned against, waiting for the Shire post to arrive. Turning quickly and wrapping her tattered cloak around her, Evelina headed back to her very modest room. She had to prepare. As she crossed the street, a passerby was taken aback by the vicious smile that could not reach her cold eyes.

A bluebird sand into the clear sky. A lone cricket called from a cluster of brambles. A vole scuttered across the forest floor. And Evelina walked soundlessly between the trees. She belonged here; more than the bluebird, the cricket, or the vole. This was her forest and she knew every landmark, from towering oak to frail sapling. Her business demanded that she be familar with the woods. Woods that sheltered her, and became the perfect disguise. But business today did not demand secrecy, and the tall figure dressed in a delicate, pale red dress looked slightly misplaced. Evelina stopped behind a screen of tall reeds, hiding her from the road but a short ways off. She sat on a cold stone to await her companion, idly folding Lobelia's note between her fingers.

Evelina's dark hair was pulled up in an elegant knot at the nape of her neck; the flowing gown hid the sharp curves of her lean body. For a moment, alone, the lady's cold eyes grey soft as she saw some distant memory and the lines of her hard mouth grew full. Should the chattering squirrel nearby have looked up from his cache of nuts, he would have been startled at the change in the woman below. A twig snapped in the woods, not broken by any forest creature, and Evelina jumped up, the moment broken.

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #148
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"Crystal! Look here! Oh my gosh, these are the most beautiful ribbons I have ever seen... do you think they match my hair?"

Behind her, Pearl could hear Crystal groaning her life out.

"Pearl. We´re here to look for decorations. I don´t think this is the tie to check on hair-ribbons."

Prarl let out a half- ignorant-half-apoligetic noise. She had to admit, Crystal was right. Waymoot had much to offer for them and for the party. They looked at some of the things and finally decided on a big bunch of paper lanterns, a few (small) fireworks,and a big girlande saying "Happy Birthday". The two girls stepped out of the shop, the warm summer-sun tickeling their faces.

It had been a lively journey to Waymoot. Lots of laughing. Pearl had been rather suprised at Anabell´s humor she would never have expected. The usual fighting with Crystal. And lots of rain. She groaned at the idea od spending another night outside, wiht no bed, but could she help it? No, she couldn´t, and in her deepest inside she didn´t want to. If these two days were a taste of their journey, Pearl Took was already for it.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #149
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Those candies look good," said Primrose, grinning widely. She turned to Melilot. "Mel, how much money do we have left?"

"Er... enough." Melilot handed Prim a couple coins, and the latter bought a big box of candy.

"Amazing how cheap it was," she said, holding it out for Mel to take. "Annabell... hey, Annabell?"

Annabell was staring into the crowd. "Prim, Mel, isn't that... see those two children?" She pointed to a boy and a girl who seemed to be looking for someone. Annabell turned to look at Prim, who had gone pale and dropped all her packages.

"Samwise Gamgee and Elanor Greenthumb!" their young leader gasped. "Oh, goodness!" She ran forward, leaving Annabell and Mel picking up all that she had dropped.

"Look, Sam, there's Primrose Tussock!" said Elanor, running forward. Sam was close behind her. "Hello!" they cried together. "We've been looking for you for the longest time!"

"Elanor Greenthumb, you be quiet!" said Prim sharply. "What do you think you're doing here?! And Samwise Gamgee, I have much to say to you. What are you doing here?"

"We wouldn't stay with that horrid Bowman Proudfoot one moment longer," said Elanor. "Sam and I decided to run away, and fortunately it rained so we could follow your tracks to here."

"Well, Samwise, what have you to say for yourself?" Prim glared at the boy, who was blushing bright red. "Nothing? Well, I have much to say! I'm sure it was your idea to go running off. When are you going to be responsible? And you left your sister behind, and Camelia! Samwise Gamgee, I've a good mind to send you straight back where you came from!"

Sam jerked his head up, very pale. "Oh no, Miss Primrose, please don't do that. We'll do anything, just don't send us back to that Bowman Proudfoot!"

Primrose took three deep breaths, then grabbed their hands and dragged them back to the two lasses watching in amazement. "It's a good thing you saw them, Annabell," said Prim. "They could have become lost, though they don't deserve anything better after what they've done. Oh, this is the last straw! Being the leader of a group is bad enough, especially when there's others who are much smarter and able for it, but now I have to watch over two children...!" Prim burst into tears.

Sam was too guilty for words. He'd run away, leaving his little sister and Cami in the hands of that horrible monster Bowman Proudfoot, and now he'd gone and made Miss Tussock cry. "Don't cry," he begged. "If you really want us to, Elanor and I will go back."

Elanor was horrified. Prim stopped crying and dried her eyes. "You can't go alone," she said. "That's much too dangerous, and we don't have the time to take you back. You'll just have to come with us."

The two kids began cheering. Mel and Annabell smiled at them and laughed, until Prim gave them a scornful look, and not a little warning. "I expect you to obey every command given to you, and to stay close to the group above all things. We'd be in for it if bandits got you. Though," she added, "I don't believe there are any bandits."

"We've used all our money, Prim," said Mel, abruptly changing the subject and slowly putting her hand into the box of candy.

"Then let's go back to the meeting place and wait for the others," said Prim wearily. She turned and began to walk quickly away, not noticing the two runaways pop some candy into their mouth, and grinning at a wink from Mel.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #150
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Beruthial's post

Marigold watched as her father tried to calm her mother down, they had just read the note. She felt so worried about Sam and Elanor, what would happen to them? Where were they right now? Were they alright?

Bell had finally calmed down and she and Ham were talking quietly so Marigold couldn't hear, both looking so worried. Marigold couldn't stand it, why had Sam done this? She couldn't understand it, now her parents were almost sick with worry and Marigold couldn't do anything about it.

Her father got up and looked at Margiold with concern, he kneeled down and asked quietly, "Are you alright?" and she nodded, "Do you think you could do something for me? You need to tell Mr. Bilbo about this, he was the one who knew where the other group were going, he may know how to find out where Sam and Elanor are."
Marigold agreed, she thought it would be better if she got out of the house and she never turned down an opportunity to see Mr Bilbo.

She walked up the path with the note in her hand and came up to the front door of Bag end and knocked. Bilbo came out and invited her in. Marigold slowly explained the situation and gave Bilbo the note. His brow furrowed as he continued to read and sighed when he finished. "Oh Marigold, it'll be alright." He said even though she could see the look of worry on his face.

Child's post

Cami quickly set her disappointed thoughts behind her and spent the next four hours working with as much diligence as she could muster. She set out the food for second breakfast and lunch, went out to weed a bit in the garden, and finished several washloads of dirty clothes, hanging them out to dry just as her own mother had taught her to do.

Then Lobelia asked Cami to crawl up the chimney with a scrub brush and dustpan to remove the ashes from there.

Cami made a terrible face and began to protest, "But, Miss Lobelia, shouldn't you get a chimney sweep for that? My father always hires Hob Greenhand to clean our chimneys and flues every spring. He does a very good job."

"Enough of that," Lobelia spluttered. "I've hired you to do my work, and you're going to do it." She slapped Cami lightly on the behind and sent the girl scurrying back up the ladder. About an hour later, Cami had finished her job and started backing down again. The girl was covered with grey soot from the top of her curly brown head to the soles of her feet. As her feet met the floor, she stooped to gather up the pile of ashes that had fallen to the bottom of the grate. Then, she stood up, but, being less agile than many other young hobbits, tripped over the wood bin and went sprawlng in several directions at once. Her fall sent a smokey, grey cloud flying about Miss Lobelia's drawing room. The tiny ashes swirled about, descending on all the furniture and carpets in the Sackville-Baggins residence.

Cami moaned, aghast at what she'd done. Lobelia scowled at the girl and shoved her out the door, "You'll clean that all up, when you come again tomorrow, or I'll not pay you a penny, a single penny, for the slovenly work you've done today."

Cami mutely nodded her head, feeling greatly disheartened, and trudged outside to where Bilbo sat waiting for her. He took one look at her dirty face and clothes and hands, then sighed, "What has she done to you?"

Cami tried to explain about the morning, and everything that had happened. The only part she forgot was the story of the letter that Lobelia had written to one of the big folk in Bree.

"I don't like you working here, not at all. I'll talk to your father again. In any case, I may be in desperate need of your services," Bilbo muttered these last words under his breath.

Then he turned to explain. "I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Marigold came by this morning and showed me a note from Sam. Apparently, he and Elanor ran off to join the hobbits on the road who are purchasing things for Frodo's party. Hamfast and Bell were half frantic when I went to see them, as were Elanor's folks. Unless I hear the children have safely arrived, I may need to alert the shirriffs to start searching, and get help from the mayors in the surrounding villages. At least I know the Inns where the group intends to stop." At this point, Bilbo hastily scanned a list of names and dates that Primrose had handed to him before she left.

"We'll give it one more day and hope a message comes though. Meanwhile, I've sent a note to the Inns along the route, asking Prim or one of the others to contact me by overnight messenger."

Cami's heart froze with fear. She wasn't thinking about Frodo's party or the work she'd have to do or even Bowman Proudfoot. She could think of only a single thing, that Sam and Elanor be found safe and sound, and that no bandits or other misfortune befall them on the road. She squeezed Bilbo's hand tightly, as a tear or two dropped down, making white trails on her sooty face.

Bilbo bid goodbye to Cami at her family's doorstep, "Go inside and clean up, change your frock, and rest. I'll see you again in the morning. Meanwhile I'm going to explain to your father the jam we're in and see if he'll agree to have you work for me, especially when he sees what Lobelia did to you today. I'll also speak with Bowman and see if he can help."

Cami said nothing about Bowman. She was too worried about her friends. She and Bilbo sat a minute on the step, staring off into the distance, but neither of them were really thinking about the party.

"Do you think Sam and Elanor are alright?" Cami finally whispered.

Bilbo shook his head and sighed, "I hope so, I certainly do."

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:48 PM   #151
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Look, Prim!" said Mel. "Here come Pearl and Crystal. And look what they've got!"

"Stuff, just like us," said Primrose with a sigh. "Mel, I've come across another problem. How are we going to carry the kids? I- I mean the ponies."

"We have an extra one," said Mel as she hurried forward to help Pearl and Crystal with their packages. "They can ride double."

"Goodness!" Pearl gasped, nearly dropping her burdens at the sight of the two children. "............Prim?"

"They ran away and followed us here," said Prim quickly. "And now we have no choice but to take them with us." She started loading what they had into the wagon. The pony snorted, and Prim came him a regretful grin. "Sorry, Merimas, but we have to."

"Mr. Bilbo is going to be very pleased when he's sees all this," Annabell said, staring at the contents of the wagon. "And just think, there's even more to come!"

"Oh, speaking of Mr. Bilbo," said Pearl, reaching into her dress pocket, "we stopped by the inn, just to see how prices were. There was a letter for you, Primrose, from Mr. Bilbo."

Primrose took the letter and read it, looked down at the children, sighed, and turned to Melilot. "Do you have any paper with you?" she asked.

Mel shook her head, and so did Annabell, Crystal, and Pearl. "Well," sighed Prim. "We've got the whole side blank. I'll write him."

She turned Bilbo's letter around and wrote a quick message on the blank side of it, then handed it to Annabell. "Could you bring that to the inn and see if they have anyone who can ride over tonight?" she asked.

Annabell nodded, but before she set off she read the letter aloud.

Dear Mr. Bilbo,
Don't worry, the children are safe and sound. We found them at a market here in Waymoot. Tell Camelia and Marigold not to worry about them, and their parents. Unfortunately we won't be able to send them back. It's too dangerous for them to go alone, and we don't have the time to take them back ourselves. They'll be travelling with us.

Primrose Tussock
Old 02-17-2003, 06:36 PM   #152
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Olo and Biffo scuttled around the streets of the town. Packages mouted up like hills on there backs. Some small and in white wrapping paper. Orther larger ones in as many colors as you can imagine.

"I think we got enough decorations Biffo! Stop wondering around and help get this one off!" One fragile package almost sliped off Olos back.

"There you go Uncle Olo." Biffo said as he caught the package just in time.

"We better make our way back to the rest now." Biffo said a bit out of breath.

"Yes! We should get on our way to make it in time? The'll be off with out us orther wise."

Biffo and Olo made there way back down the road they came. Olo now sweating a little and huffing in his hurry.Can't let the sun set catch us. Got to get back to the company! Theres bandits around here wouldn't want to run into them. Oh come on now you foolish old Hobbit. you'll worrie yourself into an early grave if you keep thinkin like that.

With the last bits of light still on the road they found the company. But there where more there than before. Whats this now has our company swelled since our last meeting?

They arrived in time to see Prim talking and looking vary concerned.

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 02-18-2003, 08:20 AM   #153
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Jasper swore under his breath as the twig snaped under his boot. He hurried to the clearing, and looked around.

No one in sight. Where is Evelina? Then he saw her stand up in the ditch near the road, and he stepped into the clearing.

"You fool," Hissed Evelina. "Why don't you just scream 'We're Here!' You make enough noise to alert every hobbit within a mile of our position."

Jasper put on a haughty look. "Ah, so what. No little hobbit'l be able to stop us. What are'ya so scared about?"

Evelina looked like she would kill him in an instant. "You underestimate these Shire folk. The're not the little country bumpkins you make them out to be. Now be quiet!

They sat down in the ditch, waiting for the third bandit to arrive. He was soon in coming.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 02-18-2003, 09:29 AM   #154
Merri
Wight

Sting

To be sure, Elanor was delighted that they were rid of the nasty Bowman and actually on their way with the travelling hobbits.

But when she saw Prim crying, she couldn't help thinking of who they had left at home. Mum and Dad would be frantic by now, and so would Sam's parents, no doubt. And Marigold, and Cami. Now they were left all alone with Bowman, while she and Sam were enjoying themselves with the big hobbits. And Uncle Bilbo . . . hadn't they as good as failed him?

Elanor's insides gave a nasty squirm and she took Sam's hand. "I wish we could go home," She whispered, ashamed of herself. "Of course, it's exciting to be off, and all, and I wouldn't want to be near Bowman for anything at all in the world, but I just wish we didn't have to cause so much trouble . . ."
Old 02-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #155
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

After it had been established that the two children would stay with the travellers, Sam hadn't said a single word. It had thrown him terribly when Prim had begun to cry, and he seriously doubted that he had done the right thing by taking Elanor and running off. Their parents would be awfully worried, and so would Mr. Bilbo, and Cami, and everybody else. He gave a guilty start when Elanor spoke, then calmed down.

"I wish that too, Elanor," he whispered back. "I wish it a lot."

What was I thinking? he asked himself harshly, scowling. Now Cami's all alone to take care of Marigold and handle Bowman. Some kind of friend I am. The kind that lets people down when they need help the most. He started to cry, but abruptly stopped himself; that wasn't going to help anything for sure. He'd just try to make it right, and help out as best he could here. He fiercely wiped his eyes. Maybe he hadn't done the right thing, but he'd try to make it better. He wouldn't let Mr. Bilbo down.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:05 PM   #156
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell walked down the street looking in the windows of the shops. They had bought a lot of interesting things for the party, toys, decorations, she was very excited for the party. But at the moment she was a bit worried. Elanor and Sam were now coming along with them. Not very safe for young hobbits to be traveling all around the Shire, even without bandits. She smiled despite of herself. She loved children, and hoped to have some of her own when she got older.

She reached the inn and walked in looking about at all the guests, sitting and laughing merrily. Some looked up at her and smiled but most just carried on with their conversations. She walked up to a rather chubby hobbit, who seemed to be the owner.

"Is there anyone here that could deliver a message to Hobbiton?"She asked as the hobbit looked up at her.

"Hmmm, well let me see, I think Marroc will be able to, he's got plenty of time on his hands! Ill give it to him!" He smiled and took the letter as Annabell handed it to him.

She walked out the small door listening as the hobbit called for Marroc in the kitchen. Smiling, she went off to find the others.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:12 PM   #157
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bandolin, while in Bree, recieved news that the operation would be starting soon. He quickly gathered his pipe, sword, and knives and tok off for the Shire. Before leaving, he stole a horse from the barn and took off.

About half a day later, he reached the Shire. He spent most of the day searching for his comrades, Evelina and Jasper, while hiding in the shadows of the forest near the Shire. At the near end of the day, he found them in a meadow.

"Oy! Evelina an' Jaspa'! How goes the plans?" he shouts to them.

Evelina and Jasper responds with a curse and Evelina, in a whisper, shouts "you oaf! Be quiet! We don't want the halflings getting to us and figuring us out!"

"Oh, my mistake. Wont happen a'gin. Sorry..." Bandolin then sits near Jasper and starts to listen.

Evelina then starts telling the plan. "Now then, here's what were gonna do..."
Old 02-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #158
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Primrose saw with relief that Annabell had once again joined the group. Counting everyone quickly in her head, she saw that everyone was present. She looked at the muddy road and gave a little groan, thinking of her home, with a warm fire and some of Mum's hot tea. Prim only hoped it wouldn't rain again.

"Have you all finished shopping?" she asked loudly, trying to get the group to pay attention to her. She somehow wished Olo or Biffo had been in charge of the group, rather than her.

Everyone turned to look at her, and they all nodded.

"All right. Things will be more difficult because we've got two extra companions, children at that - " Prim gave Sam and Elanor a piercing look " - but I think we'll get by. We need more things that can't be bought here in Waymoot, so we're heading to Michel Delving next, and we're setting out right NOW."

There was a wild scramble to mount ponies, finish loading the wagon, and prepare to go, and Prim smiled with amusement and satisfaction. The way everyone obeyed her immediately gave her more confidence in her ability as leader. Turning to the two runaways, she smiled kindly at them for the first time. They had been feeling miserable and guilty together while the older hobbits spoke, but Prim's warm smile made them feel much better. She wasn't angry with them any more!

She led their extra pony forward and helped the two children mount. "Stay close to us and do not wander off," she ordered, putting great stress on each word. She got onto the wagon and Melilot climbed up next to her. Slapping the reins on her pony's back, they set out once more, to Michel Delving.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #159
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

When Cami first heard the news of Prim's letter to Bilbo, her immediate reponse was one of relief. At least Elanor and Sam were safe. They had not been captured by bandits or fallen over the side of a cliff. Prim would take good care of her friends and bring them safely home.

But as Cami reflected on her own predicament and Bowman's looming presence, the feeling of thankfulness gradually slipped away and was replaced by something much closer to frustration and sorrow.

That afternoon, she had thrown herself down in a small hollow under a bush in the meadow directly behind Bag-end and proceeded to sob her heart out. If I ever get hold of that Samwise Gamgee, I'll break him in two. Leaving his sister and I here to do all that work, while he goes off enjoying himself on the road. And, Elanor, she's no better!

Cami was feeling quite sorry for herself, when Bilbo happened to come strolling on the pathway just a few paces distant from where Cami had hidden herself. He distincly heard the noise of a child crying. Fearing a repeat of what had happened to Belle, he rushed over to help and was surprised to discover Cami lying on the ground, curled up in a small ball.

"Here, here, what's all these tears? Was Miss Lobelia so mean to you as that? I've talked to your father, and he's agreed to let you work at Bag-end to pay off your debt. I've assured him I'll not go easy on you, as there's too much to do and too little time to do it in."

Cami looked up at Bilbo. Rivulets of tears streaked down her dirty face, leaving trails in the grime. She still had not bothered to clean up from the morning or change the frock she was wearing. "Thank you. That's very kind. I'll work hard." Cami tried to gulp back her tears, then managed to blurt out, "But that's not why I'm crying."

"No? What is it then?" Bilbo had little patience with any adult who'd come blubbering to him in this manner, but, towards a child, he could be quite soft-hearted.

"Elanor and Sam...they've gone off to have an adventure and left me behind. You wait and see. Something exciting will happen to them. Maybe they'll fight dragons and see Elves, just like you did, Mister Bilbo, when you went with Gandalf and the dwarves. But I'm stuck here. The only thing I'll see is a mop and a dustpan or, at best, Frodo's birthday cake."

Bilbo smiled a little wistfully at the image Cami painted, then tried to reassure her. "Cami, I doubt the hobbits will be seeing any dragons or Elves. They're going to the markets of the different towns in the Shire to do buying for the party. I'm sure it's quite enjoyable, but I'd hardly call it an adventure."

"Anyways, I'm very glad you decided to stay. You made a promise to me, and you're going to keep it. I'm proud of you for that. There are things in life that can be quite boring or even very painful to do. But, once you give your word, you are duty bound to follow through. Never forget that Cami, never." Years later, sitting in a small burrow in Beleriand, with another hobbit by her side, she was to recall the exact words of this conversation.

Cami quickly opened her mouth to retort, "But Sam..."

Bilbo put a quick end to that. "Sam? That part is not your concern. You can't control what others do, but you have a responsibility for your own conduct. Now, do you want to help me to prepare for Frodo's party, or not?"

Cami looked at Bilbo quite solemnly and nodded her head yes. Right now, she would have done anything to prove to her teacher she was the kind of person you could trust.

"Alright, then, fine. I don't want to see any more tears or self pity. I know you're reluctant to work with Bowman, but I think we have to give the lad a chance."

"Now, as for dragons or Elves, I'm afraid the dragon part is quite beyond me. But perhaps the other.... " Bilbo's voice trailed off as he sat and thought.

"Cami, I will make you a promise. If you stay and honestly try to work through your differences with Bowman, I will share something with you that I've never shown anyone in the Shire before, except for my cousin Frodo."

"What is it?" Cami blurted out, full of excitement.

"I can't tell you now, but, immediately after the birthday party is over, that same evening, I'll get permission from your parents to take you on a little trek into the forest to see something. You can't tell anyone what you see, not your friends or even your kin. But I promise you it will be something good, something that the hobbits on the road will not encounter."

Cami's heart was pounding wildly as she rose, shaking hands with her teacher and then running quickly back towards Bag-end to begin cleaning the drawing room. "I'll get Marigold to help me," she yelled back. Bilbo watched her sprint away and smiled. Of all the children he had taught, and there had been many, he'd never had another who so loved ancient tales and poems.

He checked the date in his head one more time. There should be no problem. Every year, on his birthday or just one day later, the same thing always occurred. Frodo generally went with him, but this year he would keep his promise to the girl, and let Cami come along.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-21-2003, 02:25 PM   #160
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Melilot sat silent for a little while, watching Prim carefully as they drove along. Her friend was tense and stiff, and was obviously taking all of the past few hours' events in, or trying to. Mel scooted over and began to rub Prim's shoulders. Sure enough, they were tense and hard as rocks. "Relax, Prim. It'll be all right--Sam and Elanor are well-behaved." Prim began to respond, but Mel interrupted her with what was probably the same thing that Prim was thinking. "Well, maybe not quite so well-behaved, as they just ran away. Hmm."

Prim laughed, and Mel grinned. "You know, we ought to be having fun with this, not stressing ourselves over it. It'll be all right, and the children will be entertaining if nothing else." She stole a look at the children, who were talking amongst themselves. "And they'll probably be nothing else."

Sam held the reins tightly, carefully following the older hobbits. He felt a little better now, since Prim didn't seem to be mad at them anymore, but guilt still poked at him, reminding him that he wasn't supposed to be here. "Oh, hush," he whispered angrily, "I'll do as much good here as I would've with Cami and them."

He looked over at Elanor, who looked a little more reassured by Prim's smile than he had been. He grinned at her with an effort. "How do you feel?"