Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting The Road to Erebor RPG

Himaran's Opening Posts

Prologue:

Dwalin stood upon the battlements of the wall, gazing at the vast land of Erebor. It was a beautiful place now, filled with trees, covered in grass, and surrounded by great statues. Turning back to look out over the mountainous northern region, the young dwarf stared out over the Grey Mountains of the north, scanning the horizon again, as he had done so many times over the past few days. Still no sign of the Uruks, he thought, but they will come.
Turning to a commander, he motioned him over. "Are there any sightings of Uruk Hai on you side of the wall, Kalin?," said Dwalin. "I have seen nothing over here." The dwarven general looked around the lands outside the wall. "Nothing over where I was. Maybe the report was wrong after all."

Then the horn sounded. The great horn of the lonely mountain, only blown when enemies were approaching. Then Dwalin's blood ran cold, for he new what the warning meant.

The Uruk Hai had arrived.

First Post:

Bali the dwarf looked around at the small group of warriors before him, all standing around outside the Inn. He looked each one over, carefully and slowly. Battle hardened warriors, all. Truly these are the ones to save Erebor. Then he spoke.

"We are setting out for Erebor now, in hopes of reaching it before my people are defeated. Our goal is to save the Lonely Mountain, and the kingdom of Erebor from the force invading it. Myself and Eruantalon are bound to this, but none of you must go further on this journey than you will. It is by your choice that you are coming, and if you choose to leave our party, then so be it. In return for your services, when the battle is over, you will each be awarded a piece of dwarven treasure, worth enough to keep you living comfortably for many long years. Let us hope that we all live to see that day."

Having said that, he opened an old, dusty map, and lay it on the ground before them. "Now, we must plan our route. As I have said before, Moria cannot be passed through. The bridge is broken, and evil dwells there that we alone cannot defeat. Thus, we must find another way around the Misty Mountains. We have only two choices: The long journey to the gap of Rohan, or the dangerous pass of Caradhras."

Here he pointed to a place on the map. "Caradhras lies near the entrance to the Mines of Moria. It is the only known way to cross over the mountains now, without going around them. I know little of it, save that winter is year-round there; snow can pile up to twice the size of a grown man, and the wind can chill you to the bone. Many a traveler has died by the anger of Caradhras.

The Gap of Rohan, with which you are already familiar, may sound like an easier route (it was, for I myself took it). But if we are to reach Erebor before its destruction, it may take too long to travel south, then north. We need to have straight paths whenever possible.

And so I will put it to vote. Who favors taking the gap of Rohan? And who favors Caradhras?"

Links to maps:

Caradhras and the Gap of Rohan

Another Map
Old 02-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please remember to remove your signatures from each game post.

I will remove this once everyone has posted.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He gazed around at the group of warriors. It wasn’t a bad group: a few elves, some dwarves, and other warriors of Men. But then there was the girl. He wasn’t so sure whether this was wise to allow a young girl to travel with them. He didn’t know much about her but what he had heard was that she had traveled a long way from Rohan, and she had been through many hardships. If the rest of the group was allowing her to come, than he wouldn’t try to stop her. Besides, hadn’t a female of the Rohirrim defeated the Lord of the Nazgûl during the War of the Ring at the battle for Minas Tirith? This girl was also of the Rohirrim, so maybe there was more to her than he could see.

As he listened to Bali, he considered the options. Caradhras was more dangerous but faster. If they went through the Gap of Rohan, they would be safer but they would take longer. Arlómë had been over Caradhras once before, but he had no desire to travel it again. He hated the cold. Being one of the Dúnedain, he could possibly get them over Caradhras. “Let me introduce myself. I am Arlómë of the Dúnedain. I’ve been through Caradhras before. It’s not easy,” he said. “The mountain has a mind of its own. If you make it through, its because it let you. But it would be faster than going through the Gap of Rohan. Unless we are forced to find another way, we’ll have to hope that the dwarves of Erebor have the strength to resist an attack. I’d say the Gap of Rohan would be better, but for the sake of Erebor, we should take Caradhras.” He looked around at the reactions of the others. Would they trust one of the Dúnedain? Or would they decide another way. After all, there was another way if both Caradhras and the Gap of Rohan proved to be ill. He waited for their replies.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt scratched his bread. Erebor. The one place he thought he'd never see again, and now he was heading to save it. Bali had given them two opinions on how they should reach the Lonely Mountain before it was overwhelmed.

The Gap of Rohan or Caradhras. He'd been by the Gap of Rohan before. The going was slow and in his heart he thought that it could not give them the speed they needed. Then there was Caradhras. He had no desire to head into snowy passes. Nor felt any need to risk the whole company on the mountain side ridge. But somehow... He knew Rohan couldn't serve.

Then one of the men spoke up,"For the sake of Erebor, we should take Caradhras" He hadn't been listening before but this got his attention.

That man was a Dunedain. The company was strong, they needed the speed. He made up his mind. No mountain yet had conquered Gromfelt son of Dwelfelt.

"Well then," He said at last. "Caradhras it is."

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #5
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dain was perched atop a nearby log, idly fiddling with his carving knife and listening to Gromfelt and the Ranger discuss which path they should try for their journey. Since their own opinions concurred with his own, he was likely to say little more than to express his agreement, unless someone else stood up and began to make an argument for the other side. No use wasting words when words weren't needed.

His response was short and to the point. "Speed, speed, we must make haste if we hope to rescue those that are trapped there. Caradhras is our only hope. What is the sense of arriving after the Orcs have had their sport?"

Dain stared over at Bali with a grim expression on his face. Dain's mind was fixed on Glis, his wife, who had remained behind in Erebor while he and their son Durin had gone adventuring on the road. He'd hoped to teach the lad a few tricks about surviving and skill with weapons. But now it looked as if he'd be getting a great deal more than he'd bargained for.

Still, there might be a few things they could do to improve their chances of survival before they ever reached the mountain. Perhaps, they'd need some snowshoes, a flask of miruvor or two to warm themselves, and thick furs to protect their bodies from the harsh blasts of wind and snow. Dain turned to the rest of the band to see if they agreed or disagreed, and whether anyone wanted to make the argument for going far south to Rohan.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Dain Ironfoot ]
Old 02-21-2003, 02:26 AM   #6
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Belegong stood with the hood of his cloak up, smoking his pipe. Ahhh pipe weed of the shire, the best. He looked at the people around him. There was Kili who he knew very well, Kili had sometimes travelled with he and his father on long journies. He was a great companion and also a fierce fighter. At least he knew someone. There were some other dwarfs, Bali who he knew of. Some men, elves and a woman. Of Rohan, thats what he had heard at any rate, his eyes flickered towards her, she might know some of his family or least his village when it had stood.

The dwarf had finished speaking, he had made a good argument for Carahadras, and Belegond saw no need to add any more. The dwarf surveyed the party and then his eyes landed on Belegond.

"Yes?" said Belegond wearily taking off his hood. His blonde hair fell to his shoulders, and on his face. He steped into the circle closer to the dwarf.

"What do you think then, you dont seem to care much, standing there smoking" replied the dwarf.

Belegond laughed sweeping his hair out of his face.

"This is no laughing matter" Belegond had seemed to have made the dwarf slightly mad and decided to apologise.

He took his pipe out from his mouth. "Sorry, I just laughed at the fact you are implying that I do not care about Erebor. I do." he said the latter more sternly and he looked into the eyes of every one of his companions, his blue eyes pierced right through them. He drew back out of the circle and added. "One more for Carahadras".

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 02-21-2003, 03:09 AM   #7
Kili
Pile O'Bones

Kili has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

"And I am for caradaharas" replied the dwarwf. He stood up and walked to Belegonds side giving Dain an evil look as he passed.

He and Belegond had been friends for many a year, they had passed over caradharas before with Belegonds father. It did'nt seem too hard, if they could do it last time, then they could do it again.

He took a small swig of ale from the leather canteen at his side and brushed away his long blonde hair.

"Bali, cousin, you know that we should take the pass, there is no need too decide you are our leader and we have consented to go with you, if some of us are too weak" As he said this he looked around the group,"Then we shouldnt go on this journey, we should stay here and leave the people of Erebor to defend for themselves"

Kili stepped back and stood next to Belegond.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Kili ]
"'Kili at your service!'said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed. 'At yours and your family's' replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time. 'Dwalin and Balin here already, I see' said Kili. 'Let us join the throng!'"
Old 02-21-2003, 08:11 AM   #8
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Bali stood from the rock he had been resting against. "There will be time to buy things for the journey once we reach the village of Bree, which lies on our path; if we take the Caradhras. I am sure they have stores with winter gear. And Kili, I am the leader of this group, but it is a hard decision for me to make, so I am letting the group decide."

Kaldon stayed sitting, smoking idly. I'll do anything to get a little more time. If we go to the Gap of Rohan, Erebor will have long been defeated. But Bali does not know this, he only guesses like the rest.

Then he stood, and addressed the company. "You all have good, sound arguments, but I think you overestimate the foes attacking Erebor. It would be safer to take the pass of the Gap. You cannot imagine how dangerous the Caradhras is, most of you would not last a day on its frozen slopes."

This got one of the dwarves quite worked up. "Ah, so your sayin' that your the toughest of us, eh? All that you see here are many of the finest warriors in middle earth. That's why they're comin' along! And if you don't trust their skills, feel free to leave the company."

"Kili, calm down," said Bali. "He is right, though, Kaldon. A group such as this will travel over the Caradhras easily."

Kaldon merely sat back with a smirk.Your time will come...

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]

Old 02-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #9
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain said nothing but glared over in Kaldon's direction. He felt his blood run cold. With difficulty, Dain forced down his rage and tried to clear his head.

Yet, Kaldon's words still rang through his mind. "Most of you would not last a day on its frozen slopes." Something was not right. How could a Child of man, a lad of some twenty years, imply that a group of dwarves or even Elves could not survive in harsh conditions? If any were to collapse on the mountain's slopes, it would more likely be one of the men, a race that was known for its lack of endurance and short lives.

What lay behind those words? Dwarves could be accused of many shortcomings, but all in Middle-earth acknowledged that they were more sturdily built and could withstand harsher conditions than any other race. Kadon talked of the safety of the pass, but what safety would there be if his wife Glis and the others in the community who were not so strong-- the women, the young and the elderly--would be dishonored at the end of an Orc blade? Dain vowed to keep quiet in front of the group, but to say something privately to his nephew Bali the next time he had a chance. To put it even more bluntly, he did not trust the Man.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Belegond stared a Kaldon. How dare he say that most of them would not last a day on the slopes, Belegond looked the man up and down, he was barely Belegonds age and although Belegond had travelled alot he did not know everything. Kaldon acted like he did, with a superior look about him.

Belegond led Kili out from the group for a second.

"Do not get so fustrated, these people want to help Erebor, remember that."said Belegong resting his hand on Kilis left shoulder.

"For what?" Murmered Kili, "Money? Gold?"

"No to help, be kind, you may not like people, but we have to get through this. For Erebor."

"Your right. Why are you always right" smirked Kili, "You are like your father always right" they lauged and Kili went back to join the group.

Belegond thought of his father for a moment, looked out to the sun and went to join the rest of them, still looking at Kaldon.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 02-21-2003, 03:50 PM   #11
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maikafanwen's Post

Ani Dao stood next to the dwarf Durin, who was Dain’s son, listening to the discussion. Bali had informed the group of warriors of their mission and already had given them a choice. Was the group to travel by way of Caradhras, or the Gap of Rohan? When Bali had inquired about the subject, Ani Dao immediately thought of safety and mentally decided on Gap of Rohan. However, most of the dwarves had stepped forward and immediately voted Caradhras. They were too quick in their decisions, thinking only of reaching Erebor on time. Suppose Caradhras betrays us?, thought Ani Dao, then the time would take even longer and Erebor would most definitely fall. Feeling a bit guilty at her reason for joining the expedition, she decided to consider the safety of the company, and be of some importance to their assembly. She was about to give her opinion when the man, Kaldon stepped forward,
"You all have good, sound arguments, but I think you overestimate the foes attacking Erebor. It would be safer to take the pass of the Gap. You cannot imagine how dangerous the Caradhras is, most of you would not last a day on its frozen slopes." Kili protested angrily, but Kaldon didn’t waver his vote. Ani Dao knew by the glances cast towards Kaldon, that not many trusted him. His dark looks gave him an evil appearance.

There was only one vote for the Gap, and the rest were for Caradhras. Ani Dao shook her head. The Gap of Rohan would be safest, and the smartest at that. If the rest would only think about it rationally and set aside their determination to reach Erebor quickly, they would realize it. Kili was most vexed about Kaldon’s comment, and Bali attempted to settle his spirits:

"Kili, calm down," said Bali. "He is right, though, Kaldon. A group such as this will travel over the Caradhras easily."
Ani Dao spoke up as Belegond and Kili left the group for a moment, “Easily? She looked quickly at the group’s leader. “Caradhras is never easy.” Her words were sharp. “The mountain doesn’t care if we are a hundred brave and strong dwarves, or an old group of elves, it can devour us! You all are too quick in your decisions. The path of that mountain is treacherous. Those of you who have crossed it were lucky. I do not think we will make it through that pass. And if we don’t, what happens then? We have failed. It is as simple as that. We would never reach Erebor in time. Think of your family.” She glanced at Dain, and Gromfelt. “Maybe Kaldon is right.” She gestured without looking towards the dark man, “Maybe you do over estimate your foe, the Uruks. Perhaps they are not so strong.” Even as she said it, she began to doubt it … she glimpsed suddenly towards Kaldon, wondering if he mean to lead them back... Something’s not right ….

Her mind raced with new thoughts. What was so dangerous? Snow … bah! We have dwarves, the bravest and strongest of all the races. Elves, there are three of us, and the weather and ice is no threat to us either. But the men … men are stubborn and invalid. They think too highly of themselves, costing them sometimes their lives. Ani Dao had never liked them, choosing to spend her time with the dwarves. She looked then at the young girl. She had no idea why she was there, and why Bali had chosen her. The young Rohanian would only be a problem. She thought anew, Caradhras could be conquered. And if it cost the lives of the men, it was their own foolishness. Ani spoke again,

“But,” she said slowly, “Maybe I am wrong, and Bali is right.” She looked challengingly at the rest of the group. “Perhaps we will cross this mountain. As a matter of fact, I do not think we have a choice no matter how perilous it is,” her voice began to raise with determination now, and she made to quiet herself. “Besides”, a smile crossed her thin face, “we are not a hundred dwarves, and certainly not old elves.” She looked respectfully at Astarielle and Burzdol. “We instead, are five from the race of men, five of the race of dwarves, two elves, and a half-elven. All of us are warriors, and brave. If we take the Gap, we will be too late. Kaldon, I believe you are over-estimating our foe. We must take the path of Caradhras.” The warrior glanced towards her friend, Durin, and the moved beside the dwarves who had already made their decision.

---------------------------------------------

Burzdol strayed out from the rest of the group. He found a nice small log. This will work for Bali. Then he heard some dwarf, outraged, saying something anout how Kaldon was saying they weren't tough enough to survive the cold ahead. The elf laughed to himself and sat down on a rock to carve the log. I'll just wait here and widel until we move out again.

Hogar laughed at the mad dwarves. He lit a pipe and stuck it in his mouth as he watched Kaldon debate with the dwarves. He could see that the man seemed unconcerned by the dwarves. He watched in content and then signaled to the dwarf. Hogar walked into the woods behind Bali, his axe raised. A sound of string being pulled tight was in the woods somewhere. What was that sound? The dwrf turned to see an arrow point thrust near his face. That dang elf. Why was he out here?

Hogar lowered his axe, "Why hello yon elf."

"Put the axe down now or I'll shoot," Burzdol said with the arrow pushing closer.

As soon as Hogar let down his axe the elf jumped on him. The two rolled out into the middle of the group. Bali and Kaldon came and pulled the two apart still yelling at each other.

Bali and Burzdol walked away into the woods. Burzdol sat down on a fallen tree. Bali sat also and the elf told what he had seen.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Manikafanawen's PostMaikafanawen's Post

Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #12
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

"You are sure of this?" Burzdol nodded. "Aye, I saw him raise that axe as clearly as I see you know. He's a bad one, Bali, just like Kaldon."

Bali sighed. "Alas, I did not see him. I have no proof of this to give to the group. It worries me that such things are happening before we even have left. Keep an eye on him, that dwarf. But just an eye, and not a shaft in a taunt bow."

They returned to the group. The few who had not yet spoken stepped forward and gave their suggestions.

As Kaldon pulled Hogar off of Burzdol, he made sure to give him an uncomfortable pinch in the side. "You fool," he hissed into his ear.

Draging the dwarf into the forest, he shoved him onto the ground. Then he sat down next to him.

"Well, one attempt is failed. I was to quick to alert you, but our plan would have worked had it not been for that meddling elf Burzdol.We now have got to bide our time, and wait for the right opportunites. Get back to the camp; I've some business to attend to."

The dwarf ambled slowly back to the clearing. Kaldon stayed there a while, and waited. He heard at last the sound of a man approaching. "Come out and show yourself."

A man slipped out of the underbrush, handed Kaldon a note, and disappeared into the woodland. Opening it, he read:

I have heard of how you bungled the attack at the inn, and that the warriors are on their way. This is the first time that you have ever failed me, and I am quite disappointed. Make sure it doesn't happen again. When the company reaches Bree, there will be a messenger there that has information on the times and places that the orcs will ambush the groups. He is a young man with blond hair, and green eyes, dressed in brown, and carrying a bow and knife. Kaldon, I am counting on you. Do not fail me again.

Galdon

Old 02-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

Astarielle remained quiet, quite near the back of the group, thinking. She knew that she herself would take the pass of Cardhras.

"Even if we took the pass I fear we would get to Erebor to late. The Elves anr the Dunedain might get there faster."

The dwarves turned and scowled at Astarielle.
Quickly she carried on.

"But as we are a company of many races we believe we must obtain a mode of transport, unless of course everone has there own horse."
Old 02-21-2003, 06:23 PM   #14
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali stood at Astarielle's suggestion. "I had thought of that a while back, but horses will not last the Caradhras. There is not the food or space they require on that mountain. We may come to areas too steep for them to climb.

Also, dwarves do not ride. And companions, I tell you know; the moment we split is the moment we fall. It is too dangerous a road to take in small groups."
Old 02-21-2003, 06:23 PM   #15
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Arlómë watched the squabble between the group rise with growing annoyance. Arlómë sighed. Was this the group that was supposed to save Erebor? Here they stood, watching the dwarves get into an argument with the elves-as usual. He watched the man, Kaldon, take the dwarf that had gotten into fight, out into the forest for a little chat. Obviously, they knew eachother enough to hold private discussions. He had the feeling that something was not quite right. And as the dwarf,Hogar, returned alone, he grew more suspicious. He also noticed Bali and Burzdol walk off and then return. Something definetely was going on. Maybe I should have a chat with Bali, he thought.

If they were going to argue over whether to take Caradhras or not, maybe another suggestion should be thrown into the midst of discussion. “How about we take the High Pass through the Misty Mountains? All we have to do is head due east towards the mountains. The High Pass is east just outside of Rivendell. It would be faster and safer than Caradhras. But of course, it is in the Misty Mountains, so it does have its fair share of danger. The Misty Mountains have become more dangerous than before since Mordor fell. Its somewhat of a last stronghold for those orcs and goblins that still remain united. That was were the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, found the One Ring when he was traveling with Thorin Oakenshield.” Arlómë paused. “Well, how about it?”

Before he had his chat with Bali, Arlómë decided to observe the group some more. "Well, should we go for the High Pass?" he asked once more.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

"Arlómë, good friend, I would have suggested the way of the high pass, had I not recently passed by it. It is swarming with orcs, and goblins, and their caverns and walls, and fortresses are rebuilt. We could take that path, but we would meet unimaginable confrontation.

No, fellow warriors, we must take either the Caradhras or the Gap of Rohan. There are a few of you who have not yet spoken. Speak now so that we may be off. The powers of darkness watch our squabbles with pleasure, let us not please them!"

Bali sat back down. This is taking far longer than I had expected.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #17
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

"Caradhras I say," Burzdol walked out of the woods. "Do not listen to this man Kaldon, he is probably trying to slow us up. And I say that we should leave now. The longer we wait the more we're needed."

Mumors of agreement were about in the encampment. "Anybody else like that idea?" Bali asked. Yeahs were about in the air.

"No," Hogar said walking out of the woods on the other side. "What if we're already to late. If we travel there for nothing, what then? What happens when a person goes down one by one? What happens then, huh, huh? Well I don't want to go through it."

"Shut it dwarf, we need not your ideas."

"Yeah. Be quiet."

Weapons were out and a stand off was formed.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt was sraching his beard again.He felt very removed from Bali and the other dwarfs. Not that it annoyed him, he'd cast his vote and that was all he could do. The arguing was trying his neves though. That human, Kaldon, was waylaying the group. He must be a ranger. Gromfelt thought. He knows Rohan will bring us to Erebor too late. And that dwarf, Hogar. Grom had a bad feeling about him too.
This was pointless. They were arguing. Stupid. Then Grom's patince gave way," Look," He said. "Every second we stay here is a second that the orcs have to reach Erebor. I don't care how strong they are or what defences the mountain might have. And I really could care less about the hazards on either road we take. The point is that we need to stop bickering and make up our minds now. I say Caradhras because we will get there faster. If you all want to take the Gap so know we will get to Erebor, that's fine too. But really, we do need to start."

He sat down on a log and stared at the group.The dwarfs were noding, or scraching their beards, the elves were clearly in thought.The men, he couldn't read what the men were thinking or doing. Well good, he thought. Maybe now we'll get somewhere.

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 02-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #19
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Durin sat silently, watching the others argue about which route to take. He had decided Caradhras as soon as Bali had asked, but was in no mood to argue. He looked at everyone one by one, most seemed to be well trained warriors, proud and strong, but others, Durin did not trust.

There was no point in argueing about it, Caradhras was the fastest way at the moment, and this was taken far too long. Some were just being too cautious.

" Why not just pass over Caradhras? We are strong, and we must make haste! We will not let a mountain defeat us!" He said, his brown eyes looking from one face to the next.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:16 AM   #20
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

"But it is yet a long way from here to the foot of Caradhras, we must waste no time. We must get some horses. You must ride or it will be to late!"

Astarielle knew it was futile to try and persuade the dwarves to ride but she tried anyway. She believed that they must be leaving soon, we must make a decision and some compromises.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: astarielle ]
Old 02-22-2003, 06:34 AM   #21
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

It took all Bali had in him to calm this next quarrel. "Please, I know that all our tempers are raw, but let us not lose our heads.

We can be on our way now, presumably for the Caradhras, but what of Eruantalon and Yanithe. They have not yet spoken. Let us hear them out and then start off west."
Old 02-22-2003, 07:21 AM   #22
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond still stood next to Kili, he couldn’t believe it was taking this long, and he certainly didn’t like this Kaldon character. Kili was getting very irritable, an kept muttering every time someone spoke up. It seemed likely now that they were going over Caradhras, and like Kili, Belegond saw no need to debate this topic further, but they still needed the consent of Eruantalon and Yanithe who had not spoken up yet. It seemed to Belegond that before they had even set off the company was falling apart. The rest of the dwarves were arguing with the elves and the men were just adding to their fury.

Belegond watched Kili take another sip of his ale from the leather canteen at his side, just before he took another one Belegond kicked him and looked at him sternly in the eyes. Kili put the canteen down and faced the rest of the group. There was now a silence, very awkward. Then Astarielle spoke up “
"But it is yet a long way from here to the foot of Caradhras, we must waste no time. We must get some horses. You must ride or it will be to late!"

She was right, but Belegond saw no need to argue, for one he didn’t want to start an argument and he also knew how dwarves felt about horses. Kili didn’t mind them but some others might and well he had to admit dwarves were very stubborn.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #23
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

This was unbelievable. The elves and dwarves were on the verge of killing each other right here in front of the Green Dragon Inn. Arlómë decided to wait this thing out.

He put his pack down and reached in and removed his pipe and some pipeweed. Then he walked over and sat under a tree to smoke and observe. This is going to take a while, he thought.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-22-2003, 02:55 PM   #24
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Ani Dao thought about Astarielle's idea for the horses.

"The horses is not a bad idea, but a good part of us are dwarves. What say them to riding? I don't mind it myself. I am assuming we are going by way of Caradhras, for the Gap of Rohan is impossibly far from Erebor. Deside quickly company."

She fingered the handles of her black throwing knives and looked east towards the rising sun ... and Caradhras. Even as we delay, the Uruks move towards the free peoples of Erebor. We are too hesitant! Urgency began to settle its way into the Mirkwoodian warrior's mind.

"We must go now!"

Eruantalon and Yanithe did not reply, they stood in thought. Exasperated, Ani Dao sat down by Arlómë, and also watched the group. She retrieved her feather pendant from within her vest and toyed with the silver edges impatiently.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 02-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #25
Kili
Pile O'Bones

Kili has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Kili was getting tired now, and that kick Belegond gave him actually hurt, but he wasn’t going to show it. He better not try and take a drink of ale until they were well away on their journey, if that was ever actually ever going to happen. He surveyed the company and his eyes fell upon the rorrhihim woman. She didn’t look the type that would be a warrior but who was he to argue with Bali8’s choice
Bali’s boredom started to tell as he started up a verse………….

If only if only the woodpecker sighs
The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies
While the wolf waits below hungry and lonely
Crying to the mo-oo-on
If only, if only .......
"'Kili at your service!'said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed. 'At yours and your family's' replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time. 'Dwalin and Balin here already, I see' said Kili. 'Let us join the throng!'"
Old 02-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #26
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

If only, if only...if only we would begin this journey! Arlómë watched as Ani Dao argued with the others. "We must begin!" she said. With no results, she came over and sat next to him. Smoke drifted over his face as he quietly smoked. He was beginning to believe that there was more to this delay. Could somebody be holding this company up on purpose?

Should he say something to Ani Dao while he had the chance? "Ani Dao, keep your eyes open. There is something wrong in this company. This delay is unnatural. Observe and keep your eyes open for anything." Arlómë paused. "And keep your knives ready to fly. They will be used on this journey to Erebor." And with that Arlómë rose from his feet and walked towards the group. Had Ani Dao been the right person to say anything too? She could be part of the problem. Her suggestion of horses did seem a little weird to him. She could have made that suggestion to cause more argument and make a bigger delay. Then again, acquiring horses would be faster than walking. Her suggestion could have been just a harmless suggestion. Arlómë realized that he could trust nobody except Bali.

"There is only one answer to this problem of ours," Arlómë said as he reached the group. "Sheath your weapons and listen. All this arguing will only cause more arguing. I say that those who want to begin this journey should begin now. If we don't, than there is no sense in going to Erebor because when we get there, either we will spend our time celebrating with the victorious dwarves, or we will spend out time burying them and looking for survivors." He paused and looked around. "So I suggest that those who are willing to take Caradhras leave now, and those who don't agree with it can stay or go another way, or you can follow." Hopefully this will get things going, he thought. Or maybe this will cause more argument. If it did cause more argument, than Arlómë decided to go into the Green Dragon and get himself a drink.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #27
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Burzdol walked into the middle of the group near Hogar and Bali. He pulled Bali aside and walked over to Eruantalon.

"Bali, let us take our leave now. If we wait much longer we'll be too late. I say we should round everyone up. Then get some sort of horse drawn wagon with our combined money. Everyone can fill up in the back, and we'll have one of us drive it. When we get to a town close to the base of Caradhras we can sell the wagon and horses to get clothing and supplies," the elf explained quickly trying not to waste time.

"Sounds like a good plan," the man said, finally talking for what seemed what to be the whole time.

"Let me think. I'll try to make it quick."
Old 02-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Eruantalon's Post

The company was divided on the route which they should take. Some favored the pass of Caradhras. A few suggested taking the way through the Gap of Rohan, and one even mentioned taking the way through the High Pass.

Eruantalon sheathed the knife he had been sharpening and gave his verdict. "Friends and companions, we have delayed long enough. The Caradhras has a black name, and is fraught with danger. We may not last if we take that route.

However, if we take the Gap of Rohan, we will have trouble with wargs, and will not reach Erebor in time. Thus, I say that we value Bali's advice. One more for the Caradhras!"

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-23-2003, 12:36 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Frodess' Post.

Yanithë didn't have to think long and hard. She knew she didn't want to go anywhere near Rohan. Her parents lived especially close to the Gap, and she would not deal with them. Ever since they had discouraged her union with Réomer, she had made an oath to Illuvatar that she would not pass through that part of Middle-Earth for at least twenty years.

"Caradhras!" cried she. "Surely we must go through Caradhras, for Rohan is a very dreadful route. We'll not get to Erebor half as fast. Surely Caradhras is the wise decision."

With this, the girl grinned sheepishly, crossing her fingers and hoping that their path would not cross Rohan. Though usually strong with the heart of a warrior, she was still a girl of seventeen.

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 02-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #30
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The sun rose higher as the company prepared to leave. Ani Dao resolved not to fret about delay any longer and just accept the decisions made by Bali. She trusted his judgment. She walked down around Hobbiton, looking aimlessly for something she might need on the journey, If we ever start it. Ani Dao immediately shook the thought from her head and walked out of the town down the road to a little pond with a willow’s branches breaking the mirror surface. She sat beneath it and watched a few hobbit children play on the shore opposite her.

Her mind wandered to thoughts of Mirkwood. The warrior had been thinking of it often, ever since she agreed to go on this expedition. She remembered her house suddenly like a revival. She saw herself wandering through the intricately decorated hallways, glancing at the murals of their history on the walls. Clothed in the garb of her family’s status and not the warrior clothing she donned now, she glided gracefully across the smooth stone floor. She would wander out to the patios and the fountains, shadowed by the dense forest’s canopy. Ani Dao envisioned once meeting at the largest, most exquisite fountain with a friend of hers. They had planned to explore the forest on their own that night. Things had taken their turn against them and they had a nasty conflict with spiders. The two elflings returned safely in the end, but adventure scared. It had been the first time Ani Dao had tasted danger. It thrilled her, and made her yearn for more. Not a hundred years later, she had left.

Startled suddenly by a splash of water which turned out to be a rock thrown by some young hobbit nearby, she realized that she had dozed a bit. The sun was higher now, about mid-day. Hungry, Ani Dao made her way back to the Green Dragon for a spot of lunch, and news on any improvements, or resolutions.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 02-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #31
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

While Bali thought of what to do, Burzdol followed the only girl to a small pond in Hobbiton. He was suprised that she had joined their party. Usually a maiden such as this wouldn't come on a journey like this. Well, maybe she will be of help down the lane. Anyone who can help keep an eye on Kaldon and Hogar is fine by me. Though I hope she is on our side.

A splash in the pond awoke the elf. Burzdol looked around him. He was sitting under a small willow at the other side of the pond. Burzdol looked for the girl, which was already heading back to the inn. Better get a bite of lunch. I think we might have come to a conclusion about going. He started to get up and walk away, when he noticed his dirk was gone. He slowly looked around again, Then he spotted a glint of steel in a hobbit childs hand.

"Hey, wait a minute little boy!"

The boy looked for a second and then took off through the fields. Burzdol was quite fast, but he had such a head stsrt. "Get back here, young hobbit!" he yelled after the hobbit. "I said come back here, now!"

"Mommy, a weird thing is trying to take what I found. I'm scared mommy. Wahhhh!"

What is happening to my baby?" a large hobbit women walked out of a nearby house, a shovel clutched in her hands.. The babe reached his mother and hid behind her.

Burzdol reached the home and stopped to breathe. He started to walk to the two.

"Why are you chasing my son?" she asked raising the shovel.

"He stole my knife while I slept. When asked for it back and the little bugger ran."

The shovel's path would have connected with his head if not for Burzdol's sword blocking it. Again the woman swung at his head. This time he hit the shovel out of her hand, and resheathed his sword.

"Stay away you heartless elf. Go away or I'll get my husband. I warn you!" she started to yell.

Burzdol shot out his hand at the boy, grabbing his dirk back. Suddenly the woman whistled and a group of hobbit men came out of the fields toward him, pitchforks and other things held in the air.

"You better run for your life elf," the two hobbits ran into the house.

Burzdol turned around and a pitchfork stabbed towards him. The elf dodged it easily and delivered a blow with his fist square in the hobbit's mouth. Seeing more coming, Burzdol turned and ran. The hobbits were throwing rocks at him, and one hit him in his left arm.

He finally returned to the inn. All of his party was eating inside. Though the hobbits still came. The elf walked into the stable and broke off the brush from the broom. He twirled it aroud as a staff and got ready. The first of many hobbits came at him with a suprisingly nice sword. Burzdol blocked it and hit with the end of the now staff. He fell over and started to silently curse. Now, about five hobbit's came in a single wave. The first one was ill-equipped and was easily overtaken. The other four all jumped on him at once. Burzdol swung the staff aroud trying to get the hobbit's off. Fianally they had all been thrown off. Another wave of five came, but weren't so lucky. Burzdol took them out with a single blow to each. No more came after that. The ones that were there fled back into the fields, still cursing to themselfs.

Burzdol threw down the broken broom and walked into the inn. They party laughed once he finished his short story. "Hah Hah, you got beat up by a group of hobbits!" one shouted. They finished lunch and went back outside. To again dispute the leaving route.

Hogar waited in the field for the hobbit leader. "You simpletons couldn't defeat one elf. There was eleven of you. One of him!"

"Hey he's a warrior, we're just farmers. Anyway we suffered a lot too you know. So pay up. We might not have killed him, but we tryed. That's all you said you wanted. So pay up!"

"Fine. Fine. You little cheats. I'm only going to pay you half though, since you didn't actually do what I wanted," the dwarfs change purse slipped into the hobbit's hand.

"Thank you."

The two walked different ways and didn't look back. Little cheating hobbits. They don't do want you want, but they still take your money. Little cheats I say. I hat those little things.

He rejoined the party for the tail end of lunch. He laughed with the others about the elf Burzdol. Kaldon galred at him. He knew he wasn't even supposed to be there. Though he was there now and was helping as best he can. Kaldon still tryed to get him to leave, so he could carry out his mission.

He sat thinking about leaving or staying and things like that. When he woke from his light doze he saw everyone was gone. He stood and started to walk outside with the rest when the bartender called to him, "Hey you wait. Your friends said you're paying. So pay up." Hogar out money and paided slowly, still griping about the hobbits. When he finally got out all he did was sit there. That's the last time I hire any stupid hobbits.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #32
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Kaldon sat at a bench in the market-place, watching Hogar talk to a wagon seller. Much as that dwarf annoies me, I have to admit that he does know how to pull off a job like this.

Hogar was deep in conversation with the man, discussing things quietly with him behind his table. "So, your willing to pay me big to give them one of the older models that doesn't last well in bad weather."

Hogar merely nodded. "Well, consider the deal made. Where's my gold."

Hogar handed him a small leather pouch. The man shook it, and the ring of coins met his ears. Glancing inside, he face broke into a happy grin. "This is the best deal I made in my life. Glad to accomadate your wishes, sir." He looked up. Hogar was gone.

"Strange fellow, odd for a dwarf to want a guy to cheat his customers. But of course, I'm not complaining...," reasoned the man to himself. His unluckly customers were soon in arriving.

Bali strolled around the market-place, walking alongside his friends Burzdol and Eruantalon. "Look over there, there are some wagons for sale. Just what we've been looking for."

They walked over to him. "Ah, three fine young warriors looking to travel, and in need of a sturdy wagon no doubt. I have just the model you want. Check out this one, in near new condition, excellent treading on the wheels. Just what you've been looking for."

After inspecting the wagon, the three agreed it would fit their needs space-wise; for it would be carrying dwarves and a large amount of supplies. They made the deal.

After they had gone, the man chuckled to himself. He patted his coat pocket, which jingled faintly. The best deal he ever made... if it could be considered a 'deal.'

The three friends arrived back to the door outside the inn, and found that most of the party had come back. Astarielle had gone off to get horses, as she was experienced with them. The others awaited the arrival of her and the few others that were missing.

One thought raced through the mind of all present. Soon the adventure would begin!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 AM   #33
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The sun shone brightly on the colorful garden outside the inn. Looking around at the beauty of the Shire, Bali hoped that he would return there again.

"Friends, the wagon is packed, the horses are saddled, and we are ready to begin our journey. Let us say goodbye to this happy land called the Shire, and this fine inn, the Green Dragon. We are on our way to Erebor, travelling through Eriador, The pass of Caradhras, and ultimately Mirkwood Forest to reach it. Let us be off west!"

The dwarves boarded the wagon, Dain sitting at the front with Bali to drive. The men and elves climbed onto their horses. And away they went, westward, towards Bree.

It was a pleasant morning. Birds sang, frogs croaked in the ponds, and all around them the bustle of busy hobbit farmers could be seen and heard. The little folk looked at them strangly, but pretended not to stare.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:17 PM   #34
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond breathed a sigh of relief, they were finally on their way, no more arguing! Kili sat in the wagon opposite and sung to himself as he often did on journies. Belegond patted his horses head. She was a silver-grey, she was as fleet as the wind, tireless and filled with great wisdom, she was his own horse. He had had her since he was a young boy and he had raised her since she was young. She was one of the Mearas, one of the true decendents of Nahar. For he had lived in Rohan when times were good and his mother cared for the horses there and he was give this one as a gift.

Her name was Duelen, faithful. Belegond was not quite sure whether he should bring her, for the battle would be fierce, but Duelen would survive.

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 02-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #35
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Burzdol was glad he was on the mount of his horse, Belock. The all wight steed was very fast and clever for a horse, and he loved him dearly. He rode beside Bali's wagon and watched the farmers in the fields. Some glared at him, from memory of their earlier encounter.

The elf looked at Kaldon again, who had riden over on the other side. Then his eyes strolled to the dwarf Hogar. He clutched the side of the wagon as if it held him alive. He must be afraid of riding like this. Hah, he's the biggest coward of us all. Can't even ride in a wagon without being scared, hah. The elf silently laughed to himself about the dwarf.

The he looked closer. His other hand held a small throwing hatchet. The elf was about to reach for the bow on his back, when he realized he was still on a horse. Though he didn't do anything he kept his eye on him.

Hogar grasped for dear life. What's worse than this. I don't even think a horse was this bad. I hate this.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #36
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Finally, we are on our way, thought Arlómë to himself. He was riding his black steed named Thalion, which meant "strong" in elvish. Arlómë was going to leave Thalion in the caring of the innkeeper at the Green Dragon since dwarves were on this journey, but since they were going to ride, Thalion would come along.

Arlómë rode at the back of the company, so he would have a better position to observe the goings on in the company. He had noticed that the dwarf, Hogar, had been dropping in and out of the group. That was who deserved Arlómë's attention,but being such a small dwarf, there had to be someone helping him or telling him what to do. As Arlómë smoked his pipe and rode Thalion, he could think of no better spot than the back of the company.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:32 PM   #37
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Tolkien

Durin sat at the back of the wagon, humming an old tune his mother had taught him. It was getting dark and he could here the low chirping of crickets in the grass, as the wagon slowly made its way down the dirt path.

He grinned slightly as he thought of Burzdol and the hobbits earlier. Stupid of the hobbits to pick a fight with a warrior. Then a thought struck him...That is odd! Aren't hobbits supposed to be very kind, and not like fighting? Though maybe they're starting to like the fine sport, but I doubt it...

He sighed and leaned back against the back of the wagon, looking up at the star-filled sky. He was probably just being stupid, he didn't know much about hobbits anyways.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #38
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Atop the strong black horse Ani Dao had been given, she trotted up alongside the wagon beside Burzdol on his more magnificent horse. The Mirkwoodian did not have a name for her horse yet. She referred to him simply as “My Horse,” and that was it. Ani Dao didn’t get attached to animals because their lives were short.

Burzdol seemed a little tense, his eyes focused on the wagon. She followed, but noticed nothing amiss. She had no reason to distrust any of the dwarves. Shrugging it off she attempted to start conversation.

“Off at last!” She held the reins with one hand, and her other was relaxed beside her. Ani Dao breathed in the night air. When she got no reply from her companion she began to talk.

“I confess I did not come on this journey to aid Erebor,” she looked at the dwarves in the wagon, some talking merrily, others deep in thought. A few were humming or whistling, while others contentedly smoked their pipes. She smiled in spite of it all. “I was mostly interested in the reward. But now that I am newly acquainted with my favorite of the races, I care not for the treasure. Maybe I will stay in Erebor for a while.” She looked ahead and sighed deep. “Adventure is sweet, yes?” The she-elf laughed. “Ah, but you’ve already tasted some with the hobbits.” Ani Dao laughed hard, her blue eyes twinkling. Luck had always been with her, and she feared nothing. Journeys could happen before or after breakfast and she’d still have tea. Never had she stayed long in places, and always wished for something more. Many adventures had come her way, but none had brought her the justification of her thoughts. Maybe this time it would be different.

Burzdol smiled, “Little buggers.” He laughed, recalling the hustle. “Ah, that was a trip.” The two companions talked some more as the cool night settled over the shire like a veil, and the crickets chirped their evening song.

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 02-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #39
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Burzdol laughed silently with the beautiful elf beside him. He was very intriged with the she-elf. Her beauty wasn't ll that stunned him, also her attitude on life. The elf liked her outlook and welcomed it gladly. There was something he really liked about her, but couldn't figure it out. No, I can't again. I can't hurt another girl like this. I can't let a girl in my heart. All it brings is grief, like with Elorwen. Even though I like Ani Dao, I don't want to hurt anyone again.

Then he looked around at the rest of the party. He noticed many wathched either Kaldon or Hogar, just as he. He was glad that he wasn't alone in his thoughts that the two were up to something. Maybe I'm just over reacting. I mean dwarves are very tempermental. Yes, that's it, I'm just over reacting. Or am I?

During his thoughts his horae strode to close to the wagon and bumped into it. The small hit woke him from his daze. Again he turned to the dwarf. He needn't worry about Kaldon, Bali was watching him.

"Burzdol heard someone humming in the wagon. He remembered the song and hummed along. He liked the song, and was taught to him by his mother. A few others who knew it chimed along. Soon the crickets were humming the tune.

The elf was feeling something amiss in the place. At first he didn't know what it was, but soon found out. Things were lingering at the side of the rode. They were small and glinting metal could be seen near them. When they reached a point in the woods they cried out and ran.

Throughout the night they still rode. Finally the crimson sun rose over anything in its path. The party watched in awe at the beautiful sun rise, entranced by the rays of light and hope desending from the heavens.

"It looks like the White City. The gold and red fill the sky just as there. It's like being back in Gondor, faithful land of awe," Eruantalon said, not taking his eyes of the magic of the sun.

"Or the fair land of Mirkwood. The rays shone through the trees. I'll remember this forever," Burzdol found himself saying aloud. No one talked for the rest of the sun rise. Everyone rode in silence and stared at the beauty of nature.

When the rise was finished small bits of chatter arose in the party. The same person who hummed earlier started again. They all joined in again and rode in tranquility.

The elf rode up beside his dwarf friend. "I know that we've both been through a lot, but this is one of those things we won't forget. Things like this always happen before battle, though the feeling is entrancing."

"Yes my good friend. We finally leave. But, if something like this happens war is on the brink. Very near. Yes, very near. You know something, Burzdol, I really thank you for coming along. I don't think I could have done this without you and Eruantalon. A good friend you are, and may good fortune be with you."

"Bali. I should thank you for letting me come. You are truly the the good friend. Your heart is as big as your appetite."

Hogar eased up from the side of the wagon. For now he was beginning to enjoy the peaceful ride. He was well cushioned and and fell asleep easily. Though when he awoke he listened to what he called an infernal racket. He also noticed that many of the party watched him. He didn't care much about them, he cared about Kaldon. His gaze could pierce the Black Gate of Mordor itself. The man focused all that power upon the dwarf.

He had drawn his hatchet in case he got a chance to kill Bali. Though later he kept it out for Kaldon. He was afraid of the man. Not because of his size, because of his influence. The man was friends of people in high places here and there. He was known by usually someone where ever he went or what ever he did.

Anyway the mans power alone could crush a small orc army. His superior fighting skills threatedned anyone he was with and his mind was of a genios. He was like a roaming general. For the man was smart, a superior fighter, and a great strategist. In all his fights he was unmatched. Then the elf and main dwarf proposed a threat. Both were also superior fighters and were also unparalleled by others. he more he thought about it the more he hoped Kaldon and the elf got in the fight. They would both die, and he would get the glory of having killed the dwarf. Yes, if that happens it would be good. If not I don't care much. I'm not even supposed to be here anyway. But that still would be nice.

The dwarf could no longer take the humming. He joined in with the thought of glory in his mind. He now enjoyed this song as much as the wagon ride. He finally got mad at making the deal with the hobbit. In different ways this was actually better. He remembered himself as a young dwarf. His mother had a small cart she pushed for mining in the mountains. This wagon reminded him of the small gem cart being pushed in empty and came out filled with rare treasures.

The dwarf was shooken from his childhood memories by the gaze of Kaldon. The dwarf thought of throwing the axe in his hand to kill the man, but instead put it back in his belt. He made some small conversations with the surrounding dwarves and got to know them. He was just doing it to get the heat off him. Now not as many of the party watched him. He felt a little more confident with this thought and also thought that Kaldon's gaze was lifted a little.

Hogar talked more to the dwarves about war techniques and finally setteled down to sleep. His dreams filled with a large set of eyes, never blinking. They burnt like the Eye of Sauron. During his slumber others noticed his sturring and rolling.
Not again. I cannot let a girl into my heart again. All that brings is grief. I don't want to lose her like Elorwen. This elf is something else to me. I don't want to hurt her.

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 02-25-2003, 01:16 AM   #40
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain had said little through the beginning of the journey. He was grateful to be riding in the wagon instead of bumping along on the back of a horse. Not that he would have refused to mount a horse. Anything was acceptable as far as he was concerned as long as they were heading in the direction of Erebor. His thoughts strayed often to his wife, and he wondered what was happening there.

Durin was riding in the back of the cart. Every so often Dain turned around to catch his eye. He wondered if the young dwarf missed his mother or was thinking of the danger she was in.

Still, he himself did not like the situation they were in. Just how much better off were they than those left in Erebor. There were dangers you could see straight off like Orcs, and other dangers that were much less obvious.

This entire company did not smell right. He'd seen the incident with the hobbits, and that had seemed the most wrong thing of all. Hobbits could certainly be stealthy, and were not above a pinch or two of burglary, but stealing weapons was not the kind of thing they would normally do. There were too many bad apples in the group that neeed to be weeded out.

He lowered his voice and stared Bali in the eye, then leaned over and whispered very softly. "You are my kinsman, and I will respect your judgment, whatever you decide. But, even a fool can see that something is wrong in this group. Don't be fooled by the sweet talk of Hogar, and Kaldon is even worse. How can we walk into danger with warriors such as these by our side?"

He glared in Bali's direction, "I swear I would rather have it out here and now with these fools than wait for them to brew their mischief."

He sat back in the wagon and was quiet. At least he'd had his say. He wondered whether or not Bali would want to respond.

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: Dain Ironfoot ]