The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2001, 10:10 AM   #1
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe LotR Movie Mistakes?

I came across an interesting article at theonering.com, which highlights some of the suppossed "mistakes" in the movie:<P><I><B>Black Riders vs Asfaloth</B><BR>The website made a point of the scene where Arwen and Frodo are trying to beat the Black Riders to the ford, saying that at one point one of the riders almost grabs Frodo, but the next second the riders are seen to be about a horse-length behind. But the website missed an intermediate shot: immediately after one of the riders almost gets Frodo, Arwen tells her horse Asfaloth to run faster - "Nureli, Asfaloth!" (apologies for any misspelling) - and we see Asfaloth pick up the speed. It's after this that the riders are seen to be a horse-length away.<P><B>Gimli's axe</B><BR>At the Council of Elrond, Gimli tries to destroy the ring with an axe, but the axe instead shatters into small pieces. Shortly after, Gimli pledges himself to the fellowship - with an undamaged axe. But look more closely when Gimli moves to attack the ring: he doesn't take his own axe, but the axe of the dwarf sitting beside him! (Gloin's?) Proof that Gimli may be rash, but he ain't stupid.<P><B>Gandalf's staff</B><BR>Comment has been made on Gandalf's staff being taken from him by Saruman, only to have it again later in the Mines of Moria. But the two staffs are different. Even Ian McKellan, on his website, has commented on Gandalf having more than one staff.<P><B>Frodo saving Sam from drowning</B><BR>The website said that although Sam was seen to be quite a way under the surface of the river before Frodo reached down to drag him back up, only Frodo's hand was wet. But if you look closely - and you do have to be sure to check, as the clothing worn by Frodo doesn't show dampness very easily - Frodo's arm is wet all the way up to his neck, showing that he<BR>*did* reach far down before grabbing Sam's upstretched hand.<P>Unfortunately, Movie-Mistakes.com did get two bloopers correct: the dead Boromir does blink when Aragorn kisses his forehead; and, when Frodo is about to leave the fellowship, the tear on his left cheek does inexplicably shorten. Ah well, after more than a year of filming a tremendously difficult story, I think we can give Peter Jackson a break.</I><P>Any thoughts?
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:50 AM   #2
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thoughts?<BR>Yeah, I agree with you.<BR> <BR>I was wondering about some of those mistakes too.<BR>I'm glad to see that there is an explanation for them.<BR>
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:17 PM   #3
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

haha it was funny when gimli hit the ring...i thought it was kind of stupid seeing as how elrond explained how it could only be destroyed in mt doom.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:54 PM   #4
Serevian The Ranger
Animated Skeleton

Serevian The Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Serevian The Ranger
Sting

bloopers are my favorite part
Serevian The Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:15 PM   #5
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

The stone kings on the great river--when you see them from the front they are both holding up their left hand. When the fellowship passes them by and you see them from behind one of them is holding up his right hand.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:23 PM   #6
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Get out!<BR>They wouldn't make a mistake like that.<BR>It's not possible.<BR>They use wire frame models that they texturize them.<BR>In order to get it wrong they would have to purposely change the CGI.<BR>I can't see it happening.<BR>That's a pretty big goof-up.<BR>Are you sure it wasn't just your perspective that was optically deluded?<BR>
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:36 PM   #7
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Yeah, i don't see how they possibly could have made that mistake but that's the way it appeared to me the first time I saw it but I didn't say anything, then someone mentioned it on a messageboard and when i saw the movie a second time it definitely looked like they were both holding up their innermost hands in the shot of them from behind. It was a brief shot though, I'll have to check it out again if i see the movie another time. Or maybe I should just lay off the pipe weed
Old 01-02-2002, 07:16 AM   #8
Beryl

Sting

Noro lim Asfaloth, Noro lim.<BR>Not picking It's one of my favorite scenes in the book when Glorindal utters it!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:17 AM   #9
Beryl

Sting

oooops!!hahahahaha<BR>GLORFINDAL<p>[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Beryl ]
Old 01-02-2002, 07:18 AM   #10
FatherKeeL

Sting

i didnt notice the staffs change.....and since when has gandalf got more than 1 staff?<P>ah..... i forgot he keeps the second 1 in gringots.... ok that explains everything....<P><BR>my favorit scene is:<P>aragorn fights against loads of orcs.... then legolas and gimli come and help him.....remember?<P>ok befor legolas comes the and the picture "moves" twords him, you can sea a ork runn up to aragorn, and before he can do anything, the ork fals down and "dies"....<P><BR>explenation:<BR>wow...mighty aragorn killed it by looking at it
Old 01-02-2002, 07:41 AM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<I>Another one was when they had come ashore right before they realized Frodo and Boromir were missing, You can see Sam's breath like it's cold, but not the others. And Arwen was still in the water when the flood went by.</I>
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:30 AM   #12
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed the tear-thing, when there was a tear streak, then *!* it was gone!<BR>the Argonath thing got me too, it looked like the younger looking one was on the right, when it was really on the left, but it was just a weird angle from behind a rock. heh, I love bloopers tho!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:52 PM   #13
Airetelluma
Pile O'Bones

Airetelluma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetelluma
Sting

I laughed so hard when I saw Sean Bean blink after he's died. XD And there's two more that were missed. <P>It happens in the scene at the end, when Boromir is fighting the rocs, gets hit by arrows, yadda yadda yadda. I can't remember exactly when, but when there's a shot of all of the dead orcs around Boromir, and someone (either Aragorn or Legolas) is running in, one of the "dead" orcs lifts its head as if to see what's going on, and then lies down again.<P>The second one, I'm pretty sure that I saw, but I'm not 100% certain. Look at Gimli's beard while in Moria, when he's at Balin's tomb in particular. See the size of the braids? (I think they were small, but I'm not certain, again. But I DO remember that they were the opposite of what comes later...) Later, in Lothlorien, as he's warning the hobbits to be wary of the "elf sorceress" and telling them about his ears of a fox and so on, the braids are the exact opposite size, which I'm fairly sure is large. And he hasn't exactly had time to sit down and fix his beard, what with the Balrog and the orcs and such.
And runes of power upon the door.
The light of sun and star and moon
In shining lamps of crystal hewn
Undimmed by cloud or shade of night
There shone forever fair and bright.
Airetelluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:23 AM   #14
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

someone told me they saw a car drive in the back, when sam and frodo reach the scarecrow, i ahve to look for it when i go see it again.<P>in ANY movie you will find tons of little mistakes, it is impossible to find them all, especially when you film as long as they did. Filming started in 1999, thats 2 years they worked on the movie, so of course something is going to be forgotten. <P>Not a mistake but something neat to see is that the horses of the Nazgul are all black and scary looking when they are standing or walking, but when riding at full speed they are smaller more agile horses with less armour on. Just a neat tid bit i thought.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:49 PM   #15
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lol! Another possible one - I'm not sure, but did anybody else notice? I was particularly observant of Legolas's hair and noticed that during the orc fight at the end, he had the pretty braids. Then when he and Aragorn and Gimli were bonding at the end, before setting off, he appeared to not have the braids any more...
Old 01-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #16
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
Sting

maybe they got pulled out...i know, i'm stupid, but that's the first thing that came to mind after reading the above post.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:18 AM   #17
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

Maybe they had just taken a bath to wash the orc blood off and there were no hairdressers there to style it back into braids.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:53 PM   #18
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That car-thing just cant be true! <P>But did u notice that Bill (the moule or however that spells). Doesnt exist in many scenes. Like when they wander in the mountains and u sees it from very high above, where you realy should be enable too see him he is'nt there (unless they forgot him some miles behind and went back for him without it was taken up in the story line).
Old 01-05-2002, 05:14 PM   #19
John of the Race of Men

Sting

I looked for the car when I saw it last night. There was something in the background moving somewhat like a car but it was very indistinct. It might have been some smoke blown by the wind moving in a unusually straight line.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:19 AM   #20
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Maeglin:<BR><STRONG>That car-thing just cant be true! <P>But did u notice that Bill (the moule or however that spells). Doesnt exist in many scenes. Like when they wander in the mountains and u sees it from very high above, where you realy should be enable too see him he is'nt there (unless they forgot him some miles behind and went back for him without it was taken up in the story line).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I don't remember seeing him in the scene where they hide from the birds either.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:24 PM   #21
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Bill is a magical pony, he can disappear on command <P>I watched the movie now for the fourth time, and when they pass the kings in their boat it merely seems like the arms switch. The king is holding something (it seemed like scrolls) and his arm is stretched out in a diagonal. So it does appear as if he switched hands but he didnt.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:33 AM   #22
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

The arm is switched, when they go by the front the statue on the right side, it has his left arm up pointing, when they show the shot from behind it's the other arm that is up.<p>[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
Old 01-07-2002, 08:31 PM   #23
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now I'm going to have to watch it again with this page in front of me I had wondered about Gimli's axe- thanks for clearing that up. But Gandalf's staff raises the question: When Saruman's staff was broken, he lost the rest of his power. So when Gandalf moved to the second staff, did his power halve or did it tranfer from one to the next.
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 02:08 AM   #24
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Sting

In the last scene with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, Legolas and Gimli did still have their braids in.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:12 AM   #25
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I thought Legolas didnt have the braids anymore but he was seen from behind so i guess that could have deceived
Old 01-08-2002, 02:49 PM   #26
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B> Nazgūl horse switching </B><P>Switching from large, 'dreadful' horses, to more agile horses is quite acceptable; they're riding fast and most people won't notice at all, but aren't the horses of the Nazgūl supposed to be black...?
Old 01-08-2002, 05:48 PM   #27
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, they are. I read about this somewhere: They deliberately switched to dark brown. Apparently jet black horses don't film well. I've seen this with black costumes in TV shows, you can have all the texture and subtle detail you want, and it turns out looking like a puddle of ink.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #28
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Ok, I'll have to watch it again to see about the scroll thing with the kings. There's a pic over <a href="http://horge.homestead.com/files/Argo.jpg"><i>here</i></a> though, it certainly looks like the other arm, but as someone mentioned, he might be holding up a scroll.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Has anyone noticed the bit that has since become known as "the legendary Rivendell nipple"? OK, before I get hissed at for being inappropriate, let me explain myself: Does anyone remember the scene when Frodo awakes to find himself in Rivendell? Well, when Sam rushes into see Frodo, Frodo's shirt slips down and you can see his, umm, nipple (no no no, I don't have the hots for Elijah Wood, I swear), then we cut to Gandalf's face, then back to Frodo and Sam, and suddenly, Frodo's shirt is tightly closed, and his blanket is snug around him. <BR>I wasn't the only one that noticed this, I promise.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:04 AM   #30
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Ring

Is that what that was?! I thought it was a nicoderm patch.