The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting what should i say at the doors?

hey u guys i was wondering if you're goin out for halloween as my race, a h0bbit, then what saying or phrase are you going to say at the humans' doors? i would like sum suggestions if you have any [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
oh yeah and can spirit gum glue on fake hair to your feet? if so, what kind of store would you find this in? (not that i don't have enough lol)
i'm only starting this topic to help people wondering the same thing and to help myself seem more like my own kind when approaching these humans. thx a lot if u can help! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:34 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

"Mellon!"

As for spirit gum... it's mainly used for applying prosthetics and you need spirit gum remover or it may not ever come off. I wouldn't recommend it for putting hair to your feet. Reason one is because it doesn't dry clear. Reason two is because it would be very, very hard and painful to remove. You are supposed to let spirit gum remover sit for an hour before you can even attempt to remove the object you glued to yourself.

I don't know if it would work, but perhaps you could try working some hair into liquid latex (which drys clear). It may not stay on as well, but liquid latex is easy to remove... it just peels right off when you are done.
You could also make some foot top pieces with the hair already on them with the latex. You paint the latex on a mirror (many layers, you don't want it to tear to easily)... and when your last layer is still wet apply the hair and dry (using a hair dryer speeds up the drying process). When it is completely dry you can peel it from the mirror and use spirit gum to apply the piece to your foot-top (only put the spirit gum around the edges, unless you are in for some pain...). You can then blend the edges to your foot by painting more liquid latex around the edges so that they are smoother. You can then use make-up to match the skin tones.

I have never tried this, so I am not sure if it is 100% flawless, but it's all I can come up with without having to create whole prosthetic feet.
You should be able to pick up all of these products at your local Halloween shop or theatrical costume shop.

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hullo Jeli Baggins and Tigerlily Gamgee! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* bows a greeting *

Here's another tip I got from a Halloween costume shop for people wanting to sport hairy feet:

Ask if they sell the fur for "werewolf hands" that comes in a plastic package and costs, I forget, $5.00 maybe. The fake fur has been pre-glued onto a surface already, and has two sticky-strips on the back of each piece. Thus, if you want to be a werewolf, you just stick these thingies on the back of your hands. And since hand-sized patches of fur are about the right size for feet, if you want to be a Hobbit ... well, the rest is easy, eh? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:14 AM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

How about "Where's my second dinner?" (or at the very least, a request for Seed-cake and tea). It does seem to be their major preoccupation, after all.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I, personally, am going out as a Ring Wraith. At the doors, I will be saying:

"Give up the candy, she-human!"

"Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat or else I will freeze your heart into a useless, fear-engulfed block of ice and smash it against the sidewalk and have a bulldog lick up the shards."

*when they give me the candy* "Mordor thanks you for your services."

And various other things. Oh goodness. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I feel sorry for anyone whom I visit on Halloween.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:25 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

greetings and farewell seem to be the most popular lotr phrases in the world. ill stick to them. maybe with the odd "blessed are those who walk in the light of the valar" thrown in...
Old 10-29-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sing LotR songs, or just Christmas songs. Me and my friends did that last year, and it really works. People think it's cute [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 06:01 PM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

How about "Edro! Edro!"
Old 10-29-2002, 11:07 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I guess that is a lot easier, Gandalf. I was unaware the they sold something like that. Thanks.
It's good to know for next year because a huge group of us are planning to go as LOTR characters. I will be Eowyn.
This year I am being Arwen.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:20 PM   #10
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
*when they give me the candy* "Mordor thanks you for your services."
Brilliant!!

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 11:44 PM   #11
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm going to put a dress on and when people come to the door asking for candy I'm going to say:

Quote:
If you want it come and claim it.
Then I'm going to hand out pieces of sarcasm neatly packed in wax wrappers.
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ha! That's hilarious! I would do that, but I think I might make the little kids cry or something. I would definitely worry the parents.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #13
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

thx a lot u guys for the suggestions, now i just have to find transportation to a halloween store b4 4 o clock 2morrow nite! i liked all your sayings! (going to use sum) if i can't make it though, i could use brown body makeup, might get messy though. but that's what i get 4 being so last minute! thx again, Baggins
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote