The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2003, 01:05 AM   #1
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The story of Gyges and The Lord of the Rings

Quote:
For he was a shepherd laboring for the then ruler of Lydia and some part of the earth was shattered by a violent thunderstorm developing along with an earthquake and a chasm appeared at the place where he was pasturing. Seeing this and wondering, he went down and the fable says that he saw, among other wonders, a hollow bronze horse having openings, through which, peeping in, he saw that there was a corpse inside, as it seemed, greater than is usual for men, and wearing nothing else but a golden ring at his hand, that he took off before leaving. When time came for the shepherds to hold their customary assembly in order to prepare their monthly report to the king about the state of the flocks, he came too, wearing this ring. While he was sitting with the others, it chanced that he moved the collet of the ring around toward himself into the inside of his hand ; having done this, he disappeared from the sight of those who were sitting beside him, and they discussed of him as of someone who had left. And he wondered and once again feeling for the ring, he turned the collet outwards and, by turning it, reappeared. Reflecting upon this, he put the ring to the test to see if it indeed had such power, and he came to this conclusion that, by turning the collet inwards, he became invisible, outwards, visible. Having perceived this, he at once managed for himself to become one of the envoys to the king ; upon arrival, having seduced his wife, with her help, he laid a hand on the king, murdered him and took hold of the leadership." (Republic, II, 359b-360b)

Story of Gyges by Plato

I found this rather interesting while sitting in my ancient near east and ancient greek history courses. I AM NOT saying that Tolkien may have direct influece from this story, but there support for that fact he would have had indirect influece of Greek Mythology in his work.

One example to consider would be the Oedipus and Kalevala.

What are your thoughts? Do believe through Tolkien's exstensive work with Kalevala, he was indirectly influenced by greek myth? Did he also recieve the same in other northern european works( Lady Gregory's traslation of Irish Myths- many references to Greece).

It would be interesting to hear what the forum would have to say.

Foot Note: Here is an excellent link to a Tolkien writer, whom in many theories I agreee with. He has his piece about Tolkien and Greek Mythology.
Turin-Oedipus question

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 05-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
Tinuviel87
Haunting Spirit

Tinuviel87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel87
Silmaril

I don't have time at the moment to write an in depth response, however:
I agree with you on the idea that Tolkien's love of the Finnish language and his research with the Kalevala was very likely a great influence on his writing. The passage at the top of your post from Gyges is interesting and though it is likely a coincidence it's very enlightening to see that no idea, no matter how brillient, is truly original (with a few rare exceptions.) Every author, poet, artist, etc. is influenced by another. Ah the beauty of pondering... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
BTW, when I say no idea is truly original I'm not necessarily saying that Tolkien's LotR was influenced by Gyges-it's just an interesing and intelligent conncection made by Eol (as far as we know...)
Old 05-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I agree with you on the idea that Tolkien's love of the Finnish language and his research with the Kalevala was very likely a great influence on his writing.
He states somewhere that he spent a great deal of his time reading the kalavala. He had a love for all languages, hence that is why Middle-earth was created( or at least one of the reasons).

Found an internet verison and boy if you feel ambitious, there is a reading just for you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I just found this rather interesting, the research and information that was available after being told that Tolkien would have nothing to do with anything Greek. Heh. The connections are there and having an open mind does help.