The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #1201
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But Morm, he's killed the squillies, that means he is on the side of the loquacious...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #1202
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Kill those varmints. Good man.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #1203
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*sigh* Seemingly I've had the chat skwerl meaning incorrect , I will remedy this.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #1204
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo

Lommy will explain whenever she feels like it.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #1205
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Ahh, you're so cute both of you!

Before Lommy elaborates I'll give you other 'Downers a quizz. So are they:

a) getting married?
b) taking part in "Dancing with the stars"?
c) going to a twenties costume party?
d) dressing like that every day?
e) something else, what?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #1206
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Is that from your ball? Lommy your dress is gorgeous! I love the gloves. And Volo, you look so different with your hair tied back!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #1207
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Ahh, you're so cute both of you!

a) getting married?
e) something else, what?
A) Getting married? I hope not. Too many girls have gotten married this year at the age of 17 or 18 (and I beleive that Lommy is one of those ages) so we don't need another.

B) Possibly... Don't exactly know what that is...

C) Twenties? In that dress?

D) Ha.

E) Could very well be.

So B or E.

Lovely picture. You both look great, what ever the occasion.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #1208
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice picture of the two of you, and you don't look tired enough or stressed out enough to be getting married. Whatever; hope that you had a great time.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #1209
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That is a wonderful picture! Lommy, you look beautiful. Volo, you look frighteningly like someone I know.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #1210
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lommy your dress is lovely and your grandmother a fine seamstress. The dress is the same design and not far off the colour of a dress I have of my grand mothers from the late twenties / early thirties .... quite gorgeous..

Oh Alatar, they are also surely far to young to be getting married. I have observed that the couples who got together when still at school haven't lasted whereas those who met at college /university have those couple of years seem to make a big difference. Not that I wish to imply that Lommie and Volo wouldn't make wonderful spouses (for someone if not each other) in due course. Besides event he simplest wedding should have flowers, and it would be the first actual Downer-Downer wedding so there would be a thread by now I am sure.

..if I hadn't known the answer already, I might say hopefully that maybe that was everyday dress in Finland - it would be so elegant if not terribly practical.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #1211
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

If Volo had been wearing a tuxedo I would accuse you of being involved in some sort of plot to infiltrate the Penguin colonies.

All the same, the picture offers some photoshopping opportunities.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #1212
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Actually Mith has a fair point. I would love to imagine this was everyday dress in areas where the dress code consists of more than a ski suit.

Did your grandmother make the gloves too Lommy? 'Cause they match amazingly if not!

All this talk of marriage makes me laugh though. Lommy and Volo? Not entirely sure about that.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #1213
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
a) getting married?
e) something else, what?
In this particular picture, they are getting married - although they also dress like that every day.

You both look very old there.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #1214
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Did your grandmother make the gloves too Lommy? 'Cause they match amazingly if not!
No, she didn't. I just have a good taste. And don't be fooled by the colours, the dress is greener than it looks like in picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
That is a wonderful picture! Lommy, you look beautiful.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
All the same, the picture offers some photoshopping opportunities.
Oh no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie

a) getting married?
e) something else, what?
a) With him? Come on...
b) Too funny, we would be first ones to drop out although we did fine in the end, however hopeless we were in the dance practises at times...
c) Well, you should have seen me when I borrowed my mum's long black coat and had a scarf around my head... (actually I might have a pic somewhere)
d) You know, I could. I love the dress. And although it does not show in the picture, I had real ivy in my hair and it was just awesome.
e) The correct answer. In Finland, we upper secondary second graders have this ball (except that it's more like a performance than a ball, since we just learn the dances and perform to the other students and later to parents) to celebrate the fact that we are to be the eldest of the school. Due to the abnormal girl-boy ratio in our school, at least half of the girls dance with guys from other schools or with first or third graders or with other girls... I was lucky to have this certain first-grader friend...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #1215
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ha, I just noticed that there's also a picture of Volo and Kath up. You have a lovely coat, Kath.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #1216
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
I would have asked the same - in any case, they are really nice with it. But you are all beautiful.
Volo, your expression right at the moment could be interpreted as "high-class" one (although you were probably just smiling, were you?) - "Yes, I can tell you that Cornfoot's bank has just signed the contract with us. - Jean, please take care of the car, okay?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And don't be fooled by the colours, the dress is greener than it looks like in picture.
Really - I was wondering if it's blue at first. It's the lighting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Ha, I just noticed that there's also a picture of Volo and Kath up.
Yes, whoa, but this photo reminds me veeery much of some movie! But I which? I can't remember now, but really it reminds me of something!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #1217
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Volo, your expression right at the moment could be interpreted as "high-class" one (although you were probably just smiling, were you?) - "Yes, I can tell you that Cornfoot's bank has just signed the contract with us. - Jean, please take care of the car, okay?"
Actually, "classy" was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #1218
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Tsk tsk, just remember that anyone who says "classy" isn't

Sorry, I can't help it, it is a "motherism"... and she never thought I was listening to her

Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #1219
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Ha, I just noticed that there's also a picture of Volo and Kath up. You have a lovely coat, Kath.
Thanks Agan! I'm a fan of it, and it means people remember me. Twice this week I've gone into a shop to pick something up and they've gone 'ah yes the blue coat, right this way'.

Quote:
Yes, whoa, but this photo reminds me veeery much of some movie! But I which? I can't remember now, but really it reminds me of something!
Hopefully not a horror film. My mum said Volo looks like my long-lost brother or something so maybe it's one of those kinds of films.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #1220
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh Alatar, they are also surely far to young to be getting married.
What I meant is that they don't look stressed enough at that moment to be getting married. Though this picture might not be clear enough to show it, me and the Mrs. were plenty freaked out on the big day (we did fly to Hawaii to get married, and so it was a somewhat unconventional affair, but it was back when I was more adventuresome - whereas now I'd rather not add any ventures, if you know what I mean ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (77.9 KB, 357 views)
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #1221
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #1222
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I clearly do not check the photopage often enough. . .I only just noticed the photo of Nimrodel_9 (has it been there long?) and I think it is a brilliant photo.

Anyways, if you feel like it Volo, you are welcome to change my name on the photo to my screen name. I have no idea why tigerlily chose to use my real name on the photo. . .all I did was sign the e-mail in which I send it, but I also told her what my screen name was.

If it is a big bother then don't, it is not very important.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 AM   #1223
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

alatar that's a lovely picture, though you must have a had one extremely pernickety photographer to get that train laid out so perfectly.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #1224
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Well it sort of reminded me of Wuthering Heights...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #1225
Volo

Thank you for everything good and even more thanks for everything funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Haha! I have trouble with smiling ok and that just happened to be the best picture otherwise. (and anyway, my manservant would have been called Igor...)

Quote:
Hopefully not a horror film. My mum said Volo looks like my long-lost brother or something so maybe it's one of those kinds of films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Volo, you look frighteningly like someone I know.
:S Wierd, everybody seems to know somebody who looks like me/feels like me... On the other hand I was told today by my dear male step-parent that I look and act too scary and that soon people with little kids will start complaining about their little ones getting traumatic experiences from just seeing me. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Anyways, if you feel like it Volo, you are welcome to change my name on the photo to my screen name. I have no idea why tigerlily chose to use my real name on the photo. . .all I did was sign the e-mail in which I send it, but I also told her what my screen name was.
Sure thing, done. No problem at all!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #1226
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Now Aganzir is officially half-dwarf, half-leopard. Seriously, I like the pic.

Alatar - that pic is quite aww-y.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Well it sort of reminded me of Wuthering Heights...
Did I say that aloud yesterday or are our minds scarily alike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I would have asked the same - in any case, they are really nice with it. But you are all beautiful.
Thank you. And that comment about Volo made me laugh - if you ask me, he's just having an uncharacteristic silly smile...

Speaking of smiles, I just realised I'm having my trademark smile in that picture: the corners of my mouth are actually going downwards, not upwards, like with normal people when they smile. And the funniest thing is that Volo seems to have adopted the expression too...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #1227
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Oh no, definitely not I am not sure... I will tell you surely when I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Haha! I have trouble with smiling ok and that just happened to be the best picture otherwise. (and anyway, my manservant would have been called Igor...)
Oh, sure... sorry for the inconvinience

Quote:
Now Aganzir is officially half-dwarf, half-leopard. Seriously, I like the pic.
Ah, so at last!!! At last you will reveal yourself to the Jedi, at last you will have revenge? Agan, you actually look very "in-environment appropriate", like from some Nordic tale - also it looks like you are going to transform into a raven in the next moment and fly away. But actually now that I see you clearly, I was right - you LOOK like Nienor!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #1228
Volo

Quote:
And the funniest thing is that Volo seems to have adopted the expression too...
I think I rather adopted your holding the chin too high.

edit: Xd. :S
Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #1229
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I think I rather adopted your holding the chin too high.
Indeed, I always do that in photos and that is probably the only one I've seen this far in which it does not look disastrous... but I think it's just the thing that makes the pic funny...
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #1230
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Would you look at that. . . I am now called by my screen name on the photo page, I no longer feel like an outsider

Thanks Volo

Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #1231
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
That's a great dress, Lommy! It looks totally black on my screen, though, so I didn't think you'd be getting married.

Volo looks awfully smug.

Quote:
Agan, you actually look very "in-environment appropriate", like from some Nordic tale - also it looks like you are going to transform into a raven in the next moment and fly away.
Doesn't she? Positively eerie.

Quote:
Would you look at that. . . I am now called by my screen name on the photo page, I no longer feel like an outsider
Ah, so that's you being attacked by the troll. I've been wondering who it was.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #1232
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Ah, so that's you being attacked by the troll. I've been wondering who it was.
Yes and it was in the freaking entrance to my own barrow! A most traumatic experience I can asure you.

I see that some people have changed their photos since I last looked carefully (which is a long time ago) most notable was Fea, who always have great photos up there and Oddwens was a bit suprising. . . and am I wrong if I say that Lhuna has changed hers as well? (I know that more of you have changed photos)

Oh and Aganzir, it is lovely to see that the downs has its own personal tree-hugger.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1233
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I'm not sure how much I actually look like that (I never look like myself in pictures) or if it's even a good picture of me, but this is what happens when one lets her friends choose the pic...

Quote:
Ah, so at last!!! At last you will reveal yourself to the Jedi, at last you will have revenge? Agan, you actually look very "in-environment appropriate", like from some Nordic tale - also it looks like you are going to transform into a raven in the next moment and fly away. But actually now that I see you clearly, I was right - you LOOK like Nienor!
Kraa kraa.

Quote:
Oh and Aganzir, it is lovely to see that the downs has its own personal tree-hugger.
Hey, that's not me - I only climb them!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #1234
Volo

I'm thinking of creating a thread titled "Pictures of the Downs" in which people would be able to post pictures of places that in their opinion look like the Downs and tell something about them. Does anyone remember if there's any similar thread around already?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #1235
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I'm thinking of creating a thread titled "Pictures of the Downs" in which people would be able to post pictures of places that in their opinion look like the Downs and tell something about them. Does anyone remember if there's any similar thread around already?
Not that I know of.

I just noticed Aganzir's new picture and I must say that she looks a lot younger and prettier in this one. She looked kind of old and cranky when she was playing Lobelia (no offense intended)!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #1236
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if this counts? Also this might work? Though neither of them actually is what I think you're looking for. Maybe you should just start a thread of your own - unless someone suddenly remembers an already existing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I just noticed Aganzir's new picture and I must say that she looks a lot younger and prettier in this one. She looked kind of old and cranky when she was playing Lobelia (no offense intended)!
Thanks. Though I must say I rather liked my Lobelia-self. Well, maybe I will look like that in another 70 years.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #1237
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Do you mean pictures of places that remind one of this internet forum or of the Barrow Downs? You might want to check out this thread if it's the later.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #1238
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I see poor little Greenie is being attacked by some lean abhorred monster with two left hands (or is it a barrow-wight?).

I can't say you look this small and scared usually, but that pic makes me laugh.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #1239
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Do you mean pictures of places that remind one of this internet forum or of the Barrow Downs? You might want to check out this thread if it's the later.
Thank you alatar, that is the best bet so far.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #1240
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I believe that creature attacking her may be the same attacking Rune in another picture.