The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Question FIGWIT is.......

....Lindir.

McKellen's Blog Says so.

I am content.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ah but now I know that Figwit is Brett McKenzie and is thus in Flight of the Conchord and so apart from the fact I can't get the thought of him singing about a man whose pants are too tight out of my head.. there is this...

[ Edit I have removed the link because thein the rap last 20 seconds include a few words that wouldn't pass the censor on the downs but the FOTC song is "Frodo don't wear the RIng" and the first 1min 20 pre rap is just very funny and quite family friendly if anyone of years of discretion wants to look on youtube.]

So another reason why I am finding it hard to take the whole thing seriously..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-29-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Having never seen the movie you mention, I am untroubled.

However, it does not seem out of the realm of possibility to me that Lindir might have been accompanying Arwen on some random journey through the western woods.

Was Lindir at the Council of Elrond?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh it isn't a film but nevermind.... he is bearded in it and quite unrecognisable unless you know..

He isn't named but if he isn't it will hardly register too highly on the scale of crimes against canon..

Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Not named, but plausible:

Quote:
Elrond was there, and several others were seated in silence about him. Frodo saw Glorfindel ...
Quote:
Beside Glorfindel there were several other counsellors of Elrond’s household, of whom Erestor was the chief; and with him was Galdor, an Elf from the Grey Havens who had come on an errand from Círdan the Shipwright. There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas, a messenger from his father, Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood.
Well, well. Lindir.

You know, Lindir always annoyed me with his "Mortals have not been our study" quip. I thought it was a bit arrogant.

Quote:
‘Now we had better have it again,’ said an Elf.

Bilbo got up and bowed. ‘I am flattered, Lindir,’ he said. ‘But it would be too tiring to repeat it all.’

‘Not too tiring for you,’ the Elves answered laughing. ‘You know you are never tired of reciting your own verses. But really we cannot answer your question at one hearing!’

‘What!’ cried Bilbo. ‘You can’t tell which parts were mine, and which were the Dúnadan’s?’

‘It is not easy for us to tell the difference between two mortals,’ said the Elf.

‘Nonsense, Lindir,’ snorted Bilbo. ‘If you can’t distinguish between a Man and a Hobbit, your judgement is poorer than I imagined. They’re as different as peas and apples.’

‘Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,’ laughed Lindir. ‘Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business.’
Ah there, I should be less defensive about the musings of an overly-sheltered elf.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I wonder how much arrogance and how much keeping clear due to unfortunate track records... or course the hobbits, and increasingly most mortal men haven't made much study of elves either though that is generally regarded as ignorance rather than arrogance - and of course the elves have rather more time at their disposal. The rohirrim regard Lorien with gread superstition and suspicion and have done for a long time if the story of Cirion and Eorl is an indicator and Boromir seems more of their mind though of course he had his own reasons for feeling uneasy under Galadriel's gaze. Only exceptional men even among the highborn other than the Northern Dunedain, seem to have a knowledge of Elves, Denethor, Faramir, Imrahil..

Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Only exceptional men even among the highborn other than the Northern Dunedain, seem to have a knowledge of Elves, Denethor, Faramir, Imrahil..
And even they regard the Elves rather warily.

And I'm sorry, but Figwit has always sounded to me like something Elrond would utter when Bilbo spilled pipe-ash on the Hall of Fire's carpeting.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Living at Rivendell surely he would have encountered many travellers, men and dwarf. He lived in the same place as Aragorn for about 20 years. Surely someone living in such a cosmopolitan place wouldn't fall into the 'they all look the same' brigade.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But don't forget it was a trick question - it was all Bilbo's so nothing to tell apart. And until Frodo and Co arrived Bilbo would have been the only hobbit he had met.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
FIGWIT is...

...a young man with a pretty but rather bland face and a none too intelligent expression on it. What's all the hype about him?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

For myself, rather than any inherent interest in FIGWIT himself, it is a contentment that some canonical character has, after all, shown up.

I would be more satisfied still if the blacksmith from ROTK who reforged Narsil, showed up as Galdor's right hand man. Or perhaps Glorfindel's right hand man.

I doubt that Glorfindel or Galdor would have been forging the sword themselves. But then, why not? They had millenia to pick up various skills. Hmmm. The ROTK blacksmith as Glorfindel... now that would be interesting.

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-01-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: FOr myeslf.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote