User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #161
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
And, I'm very sorry for the confusion. First of all, a first post isn't needed from the *baddies*.
Alrighty, then. Just let us know when we ought to enter the game, and we'll start obliterating small villages. *insert evil smilie here*
Old 07-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #162
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Had a PM from Gwydion - he will be gone from 7/15 to the start of August and without computer access.

He's planning to write a short first post for the opening of the game.

He says it's OK for the other Lorien Elves to carry his character as needed.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #163
Gwydion
Pile O'Bones

Gwydion has just left Hobbiton.
Check your PM's please.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-13-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #164
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I'm a little unclear when (what year) you expect Elrond and troops to show up in Ost-in-Edhil.

Is it this year that we're starting the game?
Okey...here's a run-down.

Eriador is invaded and Elrond is sent to Eregion: 1695 SA

That is where we start. For the Elves of Lindon, this is when the council takes place, and the forces are prepared, and they begin the march.

For the Elves of Lorien, they will be preparing a force to leave. The dwarves will be doing the same, and then will meet the Elves of Lorien at the east gate of Moria to lead them through, and then the two groups will travel together to Ost-in-Edhil (when exactly in real time they will reach Ost-in-Edhil depends on how the game is moving). Once the Elves and Dwarves reach the city, they will join the forces that are being gathered from Eregion to garrison in Ost-in-Edhil, as well as helping to bring in refugees. Small groups might venture to take down Orc raiding parties...again, depends on how the game is moving along.

For the Elves of Eregion, they will be experiencing some changes. They will be mustering troops, they will be refugees coming from the lands outside Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion or they will be finding places for refugees to stay or they will be becoming soldiers if they are not already.

We're going to say that all of this takes place late in 1695 to keep things simple.

Depending on how the game moves along, we will make a *time jump*.

Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor is killed, Imladris is founded: SA 1697

We will go from setting up practically right to the action: preparing for the siege, and as soon as is convenient (again, all depends on how the game is moving), we begin the actual battle. This will all be occuring early in the year, again, to keep things simple.

The details of the battle will be dealt with before the battle starts, of course, but there is no need to do so now.

But, since Elrond and his forces obviously did not save Eregion from being destroyed, the Elves of Lindon will arrive in Ost-in-Edhil in 1697. With a reasonable size force and that many miles to travel, it isn't far-fetched for them to take many months to reach the city (leaving late in 1695 and arriving early in 1697). And, of course, it is likely that they will run into some small resistance before actually reaching the city.

The details of what exactly will occur concerning the arrival of the Lindon forces and the escape from Ost-in-Edhil will be dealt with when the time comes, as well.

Please let me know if you're confused about anything, if anything doesn't seem to work out (which is of course quite possible...in fact I almost expect it!), etc. Ask me questions on the thread or via PM.

Gwydion - Please check your PMs (in a few minutes).
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #165
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
It is 500 miles at the most from Lindon to Eregion. At an extremely conservative march of 10 miles/day, it will only take about 2 months to arrive.

So, even if the Lindon force of 500 warriors sets out very late in the year 1695 -- they would surely arrive sometime in the first two months of 1696. I'm thinking they were not meant to be a last minute arrival rescue force, but were garrisoned in Ost-in-Edhil until Sauron's forces overwhelmed the city in 1697.

What do you think?

Last edited by Envinyatar; 07-13-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #166
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Taht was my impression from the time frame, Envinyatar..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM   #167
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Even at the pace you suggest, Envinyatar, let us take dark age/medieval marches into consideration, since Tolkien's works emanate from that rough time period. Historically, many of them take forever. But not because of distance necessarily. Most of this comes from the managing of supplies, the need to acquire travel, the mustering of troops, among other things. Also, we must consider that they would be traveling during the 'winter months', and most military operations do not take place in that time. Even elves would be wary of a winter march. Even under such dire circumstances, 'ancient' warriors would be unlikely to march in the winter, because it causes extra problems that often can't be dealt with in a timely manner.

So, I believe that setting out in late 1695 is both problematic, and unlikely. Under the circumstances, the beginning of spring for 1696, or possibly the fall of 1695, would be better. The weather is better suited to both marching and fighting, should it occur.

Just my thoughts...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 AM   #168
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Captain is probably right. Moving an army of that size, even if they are elves who don't necessarily eat a great amount or get sick very easily, would be extremely difficult. Depending on how big it is, you have to have enough food for all of them. They have to have all their weapons and armor, and then because they don't know how long the battle or war is going to take, they've got to have plans for the food and supplies to be continued while they're out there. Granted, all these problems could be figured out before hand and we could pretend we don't have to worry about it, but we have to consider the effort that it would take to move such a number of people.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #169
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Quote:
From Durelin's previous post:

But, since Elrond and his forces obviously did not save Eregion from being destroyed, the Elves of Lindon will arrive in Ost-in-Edhil in 1697. With a reasonable size force and that many miles to travel, it isn't far-fetched for them to take many months to reach the city (leaving late in 1695 and arriving early in 1697). And, of course, it is likely that they will run into some small resistance before actually reaching the city.
My point is, though, If the army of 500 Elves leaves in late 1695 (And 1695 is the date set by Tolkien for Elrond to be sent), surely it will not take them over a year to reach Eregion, which is what the arrival in early 1697 would mean.

However, if that is what you wish to do - then please let me know.

Last edited by Envinyatar; 07-13-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #170
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, goodness, no! It would take over a year for them to arrive! If it took armies that long to travel, then by the time Elrond was sent for, if the siege had already begun, the war would be over, and he'd arrive to a dead and black neighborhood! Well, maybe not quite to that extent...

I don't know anything about the times, dates, or when and where people were according to Tolkien or what (because, frankly, I know very little history), but I just wanted to say that it is difficult to move great forces and we have to keep that in mind...well, you, I guess, who ever is going to be writing it, or whoever knows the dates.

-Folwren
Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #171
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Question: My character is a blacksmith, i.e. an iron-wright, so should he be called from now on an angdan? And Esgallhugwen's character is a silver-smith. Should he be called a celebdan? Or should we continue using the English names for these professions?
I think this is a good question and an interesting one at that, posted previously by Alcarillo, i'm not sure if it has been answered yet so I've decided to bring it up again.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #172
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar
My point is, though, If the army of 500 Elves leaves in late 1695 (And 1695 is the date set by Tolkien for Elrond to be sent), surely it will not take them over a year to reach Eregion, which is what the arrival in early 1697 would mean.

However, if that is what you wish to do - then please let me know.
The Armies of the First Crusade took roughly a year to reach the Holy Land. So, it is possible. Any army, despite the size, will be slowed down to a crawl. There are far too many obstacles for everything to go over without a hitch. No march, no matter how well planned, runs into problems which slow it down. And, from what you are suggesting, there is very little planning involved, as that takes massive amounts of time. Thus, if we follow even your leisurely pace, it will be instantly doomed, and everyone would know it. Haste makes waste.

The Elves aren't military idiots, and would know better. And with the Council acting late in 1695, and with winter approaching, it would be extremely difficult to muster a force with the supplies and other necessities required, as well as start the march itself. The march itself, to avoid winter obstacles, would start as soon as spring begins, or possibly just prior. Before that, the scouting and supply gathering must be done, which is a feat unto itself, and takes many weeks, if not months to do. Also, the troops to be sent must be mustered, as I doubt they sit around like Clone Troopers waiting for orders.

Anyhow, to save you all from my rant, I will cut to the chase. A year or more is too long, though quite possible, dependent upon problems. The two month, arrive in early 1696 option is viable, but highly, highly unlikely...not to mention hasty, which leads to doom rather quickly. Thus, I suggest a middle road, of maybe 6 months, with the Elves leaving in early spring of 1696, possibly late winter, and arriving by the end of summer in 1696. Sauron’s siege, most likely having already begun, would not be difficult to breach from the rear, to enter the city and bolster the defenses. The force, being too small, could not lift the siege, but would provide the defensive ‘bonus’ capable of continuing a siege, as it would provide moral support, military support, and possibly extra food stuffs and weapons/armor to provide the defenders and inhabitants the ability to live on.

But, in the end, this is up to Durelin.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #173
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But surely it is nowhere near as far from Hollin to Eregion as from England to the Holy Land and the feet of the elves are swift and tireless and they exist nicely on Lembas...... so they are not exact equivalent. Elf communities seem to exist more or less on fresh air generally . Also maybe there would be an advance party? Just thoughts....

Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #174
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Envinyatar

Please check your PM's

~*~ Pio
Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #175
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
But surely it is nowhere near as far from Hollin to Eregion as from England to the Holy Land and the feet of the elves are swift and tireless and they exist nicely on Lembas...... so they are not exact equivalent. Elf communities seem to exist more or less on fresh air generally . Also maybe there would be an advance party? Just thoughts....
However, you neglect one crucial factor. They may be tireless, but they are not immune to cold. Disease maybe, but not the elements themselves. Also, they are not going by themselves, in a little group. They may be swift of foot, but they aren't The Flash or Sonic the Hedgehog. They will also need to manage pack animals, or something of that nature, as I doubt they are so swift and light when weighed down by armor, weapons, and other material for war. Thus, the special qualities are the Elves are diminished and expunged from in this case, as they really do not pertain. Either the Elves wear everything they bring, and are slowed down, or they deal with pack animals, which get sick and weak and die. Either way, they can't leave Lindon until the spring, or they risk losing everything in the winter months. Once the leave, however, they must deal with the enemy, and the burden of the pack animals.

An advanced party would be slaughtered. Too few of them to contend with anything. If the greatest elf warriors can be slain by orcs, so can some 'nobody' elves. Orcs aren't stupid ya know, especially when led by a Maiar.

Oh, and I was not referencing England. I tend to use the Holy Roman Empire, because it is just better.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #176
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thanks for all the input. I think I have it sorted out now, at least for my character.

Will follow the plan as referenced previously by Durelin.

- E -
Old 07-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #177
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair
However, you neglect one crucial factor. They may be tireless, but they are not immune to cold. Disease maybe, but not the elements themselves. Also, they are not going by themselves, in a little group. They may be swift of foot, but they aren't The Flash or Sonic the Hedgehog. They will also need to manage pack animals, or something of that nature, as I doubt they are so swift and light when weighed down by armor, weapons, and other material for war. Thus, the special qualities are the Elves are diminished and expunged from in this case, as they really do not pertain. Either the Elves wear everything they bring, and are slowed down, or they deal with pack animals, which get sick and weak and die. Either way, they can't leave Lindon until the spring, or they risk losing everything in the winter months. Once the leave, however, they must deal with the enemy, and the burden of the pack animals.

An advanced party would be slaughtered. Too few of them to contend with anything. If the greatest elf warriors can be slain by orcs, so can some 'nobody' elves. Orcs aren't stupid ya know, especially when led by a Maiar.

Oh, and I was not referencing England. I tend to use the Holy Roman Empire, because it is just better.
Well the fellowship of the ring set out in winter without so many problem and I have no idea who the Flash or Sonic the hedgehog are but I don't think I need to bwe patronised to that extent.

In fact I think Iwill withdraw from the game if this is the way it is going to be.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #178
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well the fellowship of the ring set out in winter without so many problem and I have no idea who the Flash or Sonic the hedgehog are but I don't think I need to bwe patronised to that extent.

In fact I think Iwill withdraw from the game if this is the way it is going to be.
First, I am not patronizing you. The Flash and Sonic are cartoon characters who run really, really fast. I am merely making the point that unless Elves can run like them, Elven speed does not take much effect. in a military setting, as the weight of armor and pack animals would slow it down regardless.

Second, the Fellowship started out with very little. This is a military campaign, and as such, there are certain 'excesses' that accompany it. When you are running a war, you don't send troops into the field with nothing. Thus, they must be accompanied by many, many things, most of which cannot withstand a great deal of cold or heat, and also move relatively slowly. Also note, the Fellowship wasn't wandering about in armor, and bearing a wagon train to carry its supplies. A military expedition has such things. As for the climate the Fellowship started out in, they practically had to, so as both to get an early jump on Sauron, and to cater to stealth. An army on the march cannot afford stealth, as it needs supplies and is often too large to live off the land for extended periods of time.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #179
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Do you really think it would take such a long time for 500 soldiers to travel 500 miles? One way of settling this argument is to look at the chronology of the Second Age in Appendix B of LotR.

Quote:
3434 The host of the Alliance crosses the Misty Mountains. Battle of Dagorlad and defeat of Sauron. Siege of Barad-Dûr begins.
The Last Alliance contained much more than 500 soldiers, and travelled about the same distance (from the Misty Muntains near Imladris to Dagorlad) that our elves must travel in under one year, with time to fight and defeat Sauron, too. Also, the Last Alliace was gaining soldiers as it was travelling, from Moria and Lorien. The Last Alliance undoubtedly had a baggage train, but it does not seem to have had much of an effect. Also, our elves will have roads to travel along for most of the way; the Last Alliance mostly moved through wilderness. I'm guessing that it would take a few months, maybe half a year, for the Elves of Lindon to reach Ost-in-Edhil. If they start early there's a high liklihood they'll arrive before the siege begins. The Elves of Lindon could also be mounted, adding speed. (see the subject of food, below, for more about horses.)

Also, not all of their Elven advantages would be hampered or completely hampered by armor. Armor can be made light or carried in carts. An advance party can always retreat before being seen by the enemy. Pack animals do not always die in winter. Elves can always drape blankets across their animals' backs, and winters are not always harsh. Yes, the strongest elf can be killed by a few orcs, but the orcs will not have penetrated so deep into Eregion by this time, only attacking southern villages and maybe moving along the mountains. The elves can, as I have said before, retreat from orcs. They have the advantage of sight, and can see orcs before the orcs see them. The elves could move in small units, making retreats and detours even easier.

As too the problem of food, I doubt that 500 soldiers won't be able to meet villages along the way. Also, because they are on the move, they won't stay in areas for too long before moving on. If the elves are mounted, their horses only need some grass to eat. Grass is everywhere!

To close, not all of the fates that have been described will befall our elves. Mithalwen, please don't leave because of some exaggerated remarks.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 07-13-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #180
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I put up my first post along with my bio. I hope, Durelin, that you don't find it too short, lacking in detail, and etc.

To let you know, I'm leaving tomorrow for a camping trip and will be back on Tuesday the 19th.

Mithalwen, m'dearie, I was thrilled to think I was to be in a game with you... if you leave I shall make Falco Headstrong at the Green Dragon do something awful to you.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #181
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
Do you really think it would take such a long time for 500 soldiers to travel 500 miles? One way of settling this argument is to look at the chronology of the Second Age in Appendix B of LotR.

The Last Alliance contained much more than 500 soldiers, and travelled about the same distance (from the Misty Muntains near Imladris to Dagorlad) that our elves must travel in under one year, with time to fight and defeat Sauron, too. Also, the Last Alliace was gaining soldiers as it was travelling, from Moria and Lorien. The Last Alliance undoubtedly had a baggage train, but it does not seem to have had much of an effect. Also, our elves will have roads to travel along for most of the way; the Last Alliance mostly moved through wilderness. I'm guessing that it would take a few months, maybe half a year, for the Elves of Lindon to reach Ost-in-Edhil. If they start early there's a high liklihood they'll arrive before the siege begins. The Elves of Lindon could also be mounted, adding speed. (see the subject of food, below, for more about horses.)

Also, not all of their Elven advantages would be hampered or completely hampered by armor. Armor can be made light or carried in carts. An advance party can always retreat before being seen by the enemy. Pack animals do not always die in winter. Elves can always drape blankets across their animals' backs, and winters are not always harsh. Yes, the strongest elf can be killed by a few orcs, but the orcs will not have penetrated so deep into Eregion by this time, only attacking southern villages and maybe moving along the mountains. The elves can, as I have said before, retreat from orcs. They have the advantage of sight, and can see orcs before the orcs see them. The elves could move in small units, making retreats and detours even easier.

As too the problem of food, I doubt that 500 soldiers won't be able to meet villages along the way. Also, because they are on the move, they won't stay in areas for too long before moving on. If the elves are mounted, their horses only need some grass to eat. Grass is everywhere!

To close, not all of the fates that have been described will befall our elves. Mithalwen, please don't leave because of some exaggerated remarks.
The Last Alliance was moving in great haste, for such was the need. They had already done the preparations, ect. But, also note, The Elves and Men had already been fighting Sauron by the time of the Last Alliance, and with many allies in other regions, it would not be hard to find a quick route through, especially when on the heels of Sauron's retreat. In this case, however, Sauron is on the offensive, which makes a big difference, at least when it comes to military preparations. When your enemy is on the defensive, you have time to plan, and yet move in haste to catch them at their weakest. When on the offensive, you must plan as well, but you must be more thorough, for otherwise if you fail, you are doomed. Thus, haste is not the greatest course for a defender.

But, nevermind my rantings on such things. In any case, the whole thing matters not. Tis only a minute aspect. I just like to rant, a lot.

Last edited by CaptainofDespair; 07-14-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #182
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair
The Last Alliance was moving in great haste, for such was the need. They had already done the preparations, ect. But, also note, The Elves and Men had already been fighting Sauron by the time of the Last Alliance, and with many allies in other regions, it would not be hard to find a quick route through, especially when on the heels of Sauron's retreat. In this case, however, Sauron is on the offensive, which makes a big difference, at least when it comes to military preparations. When your enemy is on the defensive, you have time to plan, and yet move in haste to catch them at their weakest. When on the offensive, you must plan as well, but you must be more thorough, for otherwise if you fail, you are doomed. Thus, haste is not the greatest course for a defender.

But, nevermind my rantings on such things. In any case, the whole thing matters not. Tis only a minute aspect. I just like to rant, a lot.
And our elves won't move as quickly as possible to Ost-in-Edhil? They don't know when or if the city will come under attack. I would move soldiers as quickly as possible in any unknown situation. After all, they don't receive messages from the city regularly. Have they not already prepared in Lindon? It may take a month or so to prepare, but I wouldn'y include this in the actual traveling time. The elves have no hostile enemies until they reach Eregion, and even then there are villages that would aid them. Also, Orcs would not attack during the day. This would provide a mostly unhindered journey. At night the elves would need to keep watch and some soldiers should be awake at all hours, but most major Orc forces are busy in southern Eregion, with their own agendas and plans and villages to terrify. The Orcs don't know that the elves are coming from Lindon. I'd say that four to five months is a good time frame. Six months if something goes awry.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #183
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
And our elves won't move as quickly as possible to Ost-in-Edhil? They don't know when or if the city will come under attack. I would move soldiers as quickly as possible in any unknown situation. After all, they don't receive messages from the city regularly. Have they not already prepared in Lindon? It may take a month or so to prepare, but I wouldn'y include this in the actual traveling time. The elves have no hostile enemies until they reach Eregion, and even then there are villages that would aid them. Also, Orcs would not attack during the day. This would provide a mostly unhindered journey. At night the elves would need to keep watch and some soldiers should be awake at all hours, but most major Orc forces are busy in southern Eregion, with their own agendas and plans and villages to terrify. The Orcs don't know that the elves are coming from Lindon. I'd say that four to five months is a good time frame. Six months if something goes awry.
There is a difference. The Last Alliance was already at war against Sauron. They moved with haste to beat Sauron, having already crippled him in Eriador. Our elven army is not necessarily at war, directly at least. It is still 'entering' the conflict. If the army was smart, it would move with caution, especially into an unknown situation. In some cases, Eregion might be considered a necessary casualty. The losses sad, but a force capable of withstanding Sauron is still needed, and thus the loss of Eregion is necessary to prevent further destruction. Though, that is hypothetical . That would mean the Elven army is a mere rescue force, to pick up the survivors.

Also, who said Sauron only sent orcs to destroy Eregion? He does have the Easterling tribes to force into service. Not a lot, and maybe unlikely, but they could be there, as pure NPCs to harry the army.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #184
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Ummm...Well, I'm sorry...

It's just another time issue, and we can work it out however everyone thinks it should be worked out. I'm not a military genius, and I am not at all an organized person, and I have no sense of time. But, this is the kind of discussion (well, mostly...I was thinking more discussion than arguing, but...) that I wanted. I need help with these sorts of things; I'm not at all too full of myself to say that I do. Perhaps that is asking too much, asking for help, but it isn't just my game: the game belongs to everyone who is taking part in it.

So if you think it proper for the Elves of Lindon to arrive much earlier, that is fine with me. If you want them to depart from Lindon later, that's fine with me too.

It's all up to everyone here...and it disturbs me to find that everyone seems to be quite offended or something...this is just discussion, and this is just a game. Please...I beg of you that you take it a little more lightly.

And all you have to do is let me know if you want me to adjust something. I expect there to be problems with what I come up with, so it's as simple as just letting me know that.

Thank you, and sorry for my absence...I'll be back to more regular posting very soon.

-Durelin
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #185
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Okay, how much time does everybody think the elves of Lindon should take? CaptainofDespair is pushing for caution, and I think that haste is best. Perhaps cautious haste is best, or hasty caution. I say four to five months. What does everybody else say and think? Let's not let this become a two-person shooting match.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #186
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sounds quite reasonable.

Who's shooting?

Old 07-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #187
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
4-5 months all told (i.e., including mustering of troops, supplies, the journey itself), sounds reasonable to me. Provided the army goes at about 10-20 miles per day, the journey itself should only take 1-2 months, maybe a little more.

I mean, think about it. Frodo got from Hobbiton to Rivendell (almost 500 mi.) in about a month, and he was injured half the time and almost never actually took the road. Even though there are a lot more people in this army, they will be taking the road and will be in good health, I'm assuming. I don't see how the journey itself can take more than 2 months, maybe a little more if there are any serious mishaps.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #188
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Let me chime in here with what Tolkien says about Elrond's rescue party for Eregion. I've already shared this with Envinyatar.

Elrond is chosen to aid the Elvensmiths in 1695. For what ever reasons, it will take the Lindon Elves until 1697 to come near Eregion. Sauron sends his troops against them and they are unable to enter Eregion at all, despite the additional aid they receive from a group of Lorien Elves led by Celeborn. Eregion is destroyed, Ost-in-Edhil in ruins.

Elrond and Celeborn's troops are nearly destroyed by Sauron and company - when King Durin III of Moria sends some Dwarven troops along with another group of Lorien Elves against Sauron's troops from the rear.

Sauron's army turns its focus on the Dwarves and Lorien Elves, driving them back to Moria - the West-gate, which faces Eregion, is then shut tightly against Sauron's troops and none can enter.

Elrond takes advantage of the changed focus of the enemy and with what remains of his men, along with some refugees from Eregion that he picks up along the way, he retreast northeast to the hidden valley where he will establish Imladris.

Sauron, in the meantime, sweeps east over Eriador, heading toward Lindon.

----------------

So ----

- the Elves from Lindon will not enter Ost-in-Edhil and fight alongside the Elvensmiths

- the Dwarves and Elves of Lorien, however, can certainly join in the battle alongside the Elves of Eregion

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-14-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #189
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Eye Character Profile + first post

So, here is my (lameass) character - finally...

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Which one? Hunt of the Dragon, Flight from Rohan, Corsairs and Corsets, Setting sails for Valinor, Breelanders All!, Hunted, Last Hope for Moria, Bloodstained Elanor, Hunt for the Palantiri and..er..(Shadow of the West)

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

None.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn? – Yep- a long time a ago..

Orofaniel's character

NAME: Geldion (Gel-dhi-on)

RACE: Noldor elf.

WEAPONS:
Geldion is highly skilled with his sword, and it has always been his weapon of choice. His sword was given to him by his brother. At a glance, this sword looks like an ordinary sword, but the blade is much sharper and much lighter than one would think in the first place. If needed, Geldion has proved well with both spears and bow.

APPEARANCE: Tall and slim, like most elves. He has greyish eyes, and they are rather small in his somewhat round face. He has some rather strong features; long and somewhat rare nose, and strong- but not bushy eyebrows. His hair is often worn in a plait. In battles he wears a light armour, helmet, daggers, and of course his sword. He usually wears soft, light tunics with silver embroidery.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: An ordinary elf, but perhaps more skilled in battle strategies and tactics than most. This has not been a natural thing for him, rather a knowledge that has grown with him over the years. He has observed, watched and learned from his superior(s), especially the King and his closest followers – whom Geldion owns much respect. He has, because of this, grown to be a reliable and a loyal advisor.

Geldion is easily attached to people for better or worse. He is likeable and respected amongst his fellow elves.

Geldion likes to have big responsibilities and most of the time he carries them out with great success. He does not like the thought of defeat, or failure of any kind, and is therefore very careful when facing difficult or challenging decisions and so forth. He prefers to have some sort of control over the current situation and be updated on recent events. He is in many ways just an advisor, but he also has a great impact on those who carry out the plans. Therefore in many ways he is some sort of a leader type. Although he has never really led any sort of armies, he knows exactly which tactics that has to be used, and how they should carry out the mission. Although since this is still new to him, one cannot guarantee he won't meet some minor, or bigger, defeats. He is however, a person with strong confident in what he does, and does not easily give up. He is after all, a warrior.

HSTORY: Geldion joined Gil-Galad when he received the kingship of the Noldor. And followed him until Gil-Galad established Lindon, where Geldion also settled. Geldion is a loyal follower of his High King, and has been so ever since Gil-Galad received the kingship of the Noldor.

Most of his family were lost to him during the Great Battle. His brother mourned and was lost shortly after, leaving his sword behind, for Geldion to use.

Geldion is a close friend to Ondomirë. They met each other in Lindon when Gil-Galad established it. Both of them are to this day humble servants and loyal to The King. Geldion has therefore, much like his friend, volunteered to be captain for the swordsmen.

Orofaniel's post

‘Best we give the stripling all the support we can, don’t you think?’ he said quietly as he sat back down.

"Ondomirë, you know better, age and wisdom are not automatically connected," Geldion said under his breath, smiling at the elf, who had just gotten up from his seat to volunteer to lead the archers in the upcoming battle.

It was Geldion turn to get up. "My friend here Ondomire," Geldion started, looking back at the elf, "has just volunteered to lead one of the division," Geldion then said. "Aye, it will be the archers," Ondomirë confirmed. "It would be my honour, my King, if I could lead the division with the swordsmen," Geldion said.

The King looked at him. He didn't look surprised, but curious, or even - in wonder. Why would he volunteer for that, an elf who had not experience whatsoever with leading any force or sort of armies at all? "I know what The King must be thinking. I have not leaded any divisions before. I am merely a humble advisor. I am nevertheless, a warrior as well. I'm highly skilled with the sword, and therefore I would be honoured if the King would grant me the division of swordsmen,” Geldion finished. But just as the words and sentences had slipped from his tongue, he felt as though if he regretted it; this was no place for him. He was not able to lead soldiers into war. It didn’t suit him. He couldn’t do it; he was after all just an advisor. Tactics and strategies was his main field. He was however, a good warrior in combats. He admitted not to be as talented with the spears as with as swords though.

His thoughts circulated for a few seconds, before he opened his mouth again; “It is a task of great responsibility and it is perhaps too much for me to undertake at this point. Thus, I understand if the council wishes me to withdraw and come as a soldier only. Either way, I will do as you command, my King." He straightened his back, not looking the King in the eyes. He found himself trying to avoid the eyes of the elves present at the meeting.

The elves said naught for a couple of moments. All seemed to be in deep thought. Elrond had turned away from the map, and was now looking at Gil -Galad

"I think it only fair that you shall be the captain of the swordsmen," and elf said, but not clear or loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Indeed," another elf whispered. "You have served me well over the years," the King said. "You shall therefore lead the swordsman, but remember not only to use your skills when in battle, but also when preparing for it. You shall go not only as a Captain, but also as an advisor. Remember that," Gil-Galad said quietly. A feeling of great sensation of joy and relief reached Geldion's body and mind as the King spoke. Maybe he had been too critical towards his own abilities. Perhaps he was the right man for this task after all. The king, the man Geldion respected the most, showed confidence in him by giving him the swordsmen division, and thus Geldion promised himself not to fail or be defeated.

"Thank you, my King. I will not fail," he said and thanked the elves altogether, as he bowed. "Let us hope so," Ondomirë said, smiling at him as Geldion seated again.

Edited if needed of course!

Cheers,
Orofaniel

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-15-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #190
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Thank you, Pio, for both varifying the source I used (of which I was uncertain of the validity...), and giving me some more details that I was unaware of. I do need to learn to do better research.

How does it sound to everyone if we went with the Lindon troops being forced to wait until the end of winter? Then we won't have any unreasonably long marches and such. Is it alright if the issue of winter arriving is covered in the council? (I don't mean in any of the first posts...there'll be plenty of time for more council)

Nurumaiel - Beautiful post. I absolutely adore your character!

Orofaniel - Your bio and post are excellent! 'Lameass'? Bull hoggery!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #191
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So have people established the time period of the elves march to be 4-5 months?

I am fine with whatever, of course, but I'm actually wondering what made it such an argument. I mean...is anyone even RPing the elves coming with Elrond? Are those the Noldor elves? Or have I just proved myself an imbecile by asking?

I have been wondering about how far people think we are from beginning? The first posts are getting me excited.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #192
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

The Elves coming with Elrond are the three gamers who are the Elves of Lindon.

It was my misunderstanding that Elrond's troops would actually reach Ost-in-Edhil and fight alongside the Elven-smiths and Dwarves. I thought we might play along with the others who are defending Ost-in-Edhil; that's why I originally wanted to get there earlier.

As Pio pointed out, we will not be doing that - ours will be more of a side game. By the time we reach Eregion, Sauron will have nearly destroyed the Elven-smiths' cities and we will be repulsed by his troops and flee north.

It really doesn't matter now how long the march will take - the Lindon Elf gamers can accomplish their part of the story line with a limited number of posts if necessary in order to get to the point where Eregion is overrun and we arrive too late.

- E -

Last edited by Envinyatar; 07-15-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #193
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Narya

*** THIS IS THE LAST POST FOR THE PLANNING THREAD ***

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding, Evinyatar. I should have better explained the situation to you from the beginning. Please forgive me.

If the Lorien Elves need help with their first posts, please feel free to PM me about it. I know there isn't much to go on concerning their situation, but Arestevana and I agreed that we should begin with their making preparations to depart Lorien. You can put as little or as much as you wish in your first posts concerning this.

Still need to hear from Sleepy Ranger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE FROM PIO:

This Planning Thread is now closed to posting.

SLEEPY RANGER Please put your revised BIO and First Post on the game Discussion Thread

ESGALLHUGWEN, MITHALWEN(if you're still playing), GWYDION, SETH COTTON, ARESTEVANA please put your First Posts on the game Discussion Thread.

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-09-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #194
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya Red Flows the Sirannon Discussion Thread

*** THIS IS THE FIRST POST FOR THE IN-PLAY RPG DISCUSSION THREAD ***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Storyline:

Sauron has invaded Eriador, and laid siege to the city of Ost-in-Edhil, the greatest city of Eregion. The Noldor who dwelt there in friendship with the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm were forced to garrison in Ost-in-Edhil and endure the assailment with help from the Dwarves and the Elves from Lorien, knowing they would not be able to hold out against the forces of Sauron.

Gil-galad sent Elrond with aid from Lindon, but it is a long time before they reach Eregion. The Elves of Eregion are waiting for some kind of relief from Elrond and his forces, though only so that some of their people may escape.

The game may open with some background RP'ing to set the immediate historical background for the game.

Last edited by piosenniel; 08-09-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #195
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Story Background:

1.) History

When the Blue Mountains broke apart and the Dwarf-city of Nogrod collapsed, Dwarves escaped to lesser dwellings, and eventually many went east to Moria, and arrived there around SA 40.

Early in the Second Age, most of the Noldor and many of the Sindar went West, establishing the new city of Avallónë on Tol Eressëa. Many of the Sindar that remained in Middle-earth went east and joined the Silvan Elves in their scattered woodland dwellings.

The Noldor moved to the land west of the Ered Luin, which had once been known as Lindon. After the Gulf of Lhûn was formed, the two portions of Lindon were named Forlindon (North Lindon), in which Gil-galad ruled; and Harlindon (South Lindon), in which Círdan ruled.

Celebrimbor moved from Lindon east into Eriador with many Noldor, reaching Eregion (Hollin), and founding Ost-in-Edhil. Close friendship grew between the Dwarves in Moria and the Noldor of Eregion until the War of the Elves and Sauron.

When Sauron established his dwelling in Mordor because of his fear of the growing power of the Númenóreans and their increasing presence in Middle-earth, he began to seek after the elves. He was refused entrance by Gil-galad into Lindon, but was received by the Elven-smiths at Eregion, where the rings of power were begun around SA 1500. Celebrimbor created the three greatest rings (Narya, Nenya, and Vilya) alone, finishing them in SA 1590. Around SA 1600, Sauron forged the Master Ring, but his deceptions were revealed and the War of the Elves and Sauron began.

Sauron invaded Eriador and attacked Eregion in SA 1695, and though Elrond was sent to aid the elves in Ost-in-Edhil, Eregion was destroyed, with Celebrimbor killed, before he reached it in 1697. The Dwarves of Khazad-dûm and the Silvan Elves of Lórinand (Lorien) aided Elrond’s forces in fending off Sauron’s forces, but they were forced to retreat, and the gates of Moria were shut.

Elrond went north, escaping with the remaining Noldor, and built Imladris. But by SA 1699, Sauron had overrun Eriador, and Rivendell (Imladris) was besieged, Sauron declaring himself “Lord of the Earth”. Númenor came to the aid of Middle-earth, a huge fleet sent by Tar-Minastir joined forces with the elves at Lindon to drive Sauron out of Eriador.

Concerning Moria: When Morgoth was thrust through the Door of Night, his few creatures that survived his destruction scattered. Among these was the only Balrog mentioned in later times: the one who escaped to Moria, and was discovered there by the dwarves in the Third Age.

2.) Geography

Eregion was located between the Glanduin and Bruinen Rivers in Southeastern Eriador to the west of the Misty Mountains near the West gate of Moria. Many holly trees grew there, its name meaning “holly-region” in Sindar. Imladris is located north and slightly east of Eregion, in a hidden valley just outside the north east corner of the Angle (the land between the Mitheithel and the Bruinen) amidst estuaries of the River Bruinen, also known as the Loudwater.

----------

MAP of game area

Ost-in-Edhil
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #196
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Important Dates
  • Foundation of Eregion: SA 750

• Three Rings completed in Eregion: c. SA 1590

• Sauron forges One Ring: c. SA 1600

• War of the Elves and Sauron begins and the Three Rings are hidden: SA 1693

• Eriador is invaded and Elrond is sent to Eregion: 1695 SA

• Eregion is destroyed and Celebrimbor is killed, Imladris is founded: SA 1697

• Sauron overruns Eriador: SA 1699

• Tar-Minastir sends a great navy from Numenor to Lindon, Sauron is defeated: SA 1700

• Sauron is driven out of Eriador: SA 1701
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #197
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Second Age around the year 1695.

The storyline itself or plot covers: possible gaming of events leading up to the war between Sauron and the Elves of Eregion + the weeks during which the city of Ost-in-Edhil was besieged and destroyed.

Further note about timeframe for game from Durelin:

The game will not be starting in SA 1693, but rather 1695. Unfortunately, that means that we will not be dealing with the hiding of the rings, but that really cannot be fit in. Rather, the game will begin with the following:
  • Sauron will have invaded Eriador
  • A council in Lindon will decide to send a contingent under Elrond's command to Ost-in-Edhil
  • Lorien will send a small contingent to Ost-in-Edhil to participate in the defense
    • shortly, this contingent will be met by the dwarves who will join up with them and lead them through Moria
  • 'refugees' from the outlying lands of Eregion surrounding Ost-in-Edhil will be arriving at the city and the inhabitants will be preparing for battle, mustering forces
  • the baddies will not have entered the picture yet
(Note: if you'll notice, we must start the game in 1695 to be able to get things moving properly.)

At some point, we will be making a transition where we jump a period of time to get to the battle itself in 1697. We wil assume that the battle occured early in that year, and that we will be starting late in the year of 1695. A little over a year later, the battle will begin, but, of course, we will have to skip some of that. What I propose is this: an almost 'journal' style rush through time. We could begin with December of 1695, and then after a week, with a post from me, I suppose, the game would move to February of 1696, skipping every other month.

That could get really confusing, though. So, the simpler way is to simply say that we will spend about a month and a half (RL time) in 1695, and then jump to 1697. That jump would not land us in the battle immediately, but then there would be only a week or two (RL time) until the battle (unless of course we wanted to spend longer on the battle).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE:

This game requires a time commitment of 2 1/2 months from me, the game owner, and from the major players.

Depending upon ongoing interest in plot development, the game may extend beyond the 2 1/2 months, so that the storyline can reach a suitable conclusion, agreeable to the Owner and the other gamers.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #198
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Elves of Eregion

Durelin's character

NAME: Maegisil

AGE: 1552 at the time of the forging of the Rings, 1655 at the beginning of the War of the Elves and Sauron

RACE: Elf, dwelling in Ost-in-Edhil in Eregion

WEAPONS: Maegisil carries a long, slender elvish blade that he crafted himself, forging the blade from mithril gifted to him by his master Celebrimbor, and using wood from the mallorn, among the material traded from Lórinand. When in battle, he carries a large war shield bearing the crest of his lord, an emblem that Celebrimbor had designed himself, refusing to bear the Dispossessed of the House of Fëanor, as he had renounced the deeds of his house following the death of Finrod, caused by the many effects of the Oath of Fëanor, and only he remained of that house by the Second Age. Maegisil carries the sign of his lord in great respect and admiration, feeling it a part of his duty.

APPEARANCE: Maegisil stands quite tall, even for his people, at about 6’5”. He is not at all heavily built, but has notable muscles in his legs and arms, as a fine swordsman. He has a very agile and supple body, and is quick on his feet. His hair quite dark, nearing black, and is kept to fall only a few inches below his shoulders. He has grey eyes with a tint of green to them that can make his eyes look completely green if he is wearing a green tunic or the like. His face is a slender oval; his nose is perhaps slightly on the large side, but fitting his face; his lips thin; his chin rather prominent, and his ears rather small and, of course, pointed. (And though his ears are small, he has excellent hearing.)

Maegisil usually wears a shirt of a light, misty grey color under a tunic a dark blue that hangs to about midway down his calf. He wears fitted pants of the same colour as his shirt, black soft-leather boots, and a dark leather belt at his waist that his sheathed hunting dagger usually hangs upon.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Duty is very important to Maegisil, sometimes seemingly the most important thing to him, and it has the greatest effect on his personality. He is very passionate about the people and ideals that are close to him, often so much so that he can be very close-minded, and his judgment can be clouded by his feelings. He is undyingly loyal to those he loves, as well as his people and his beliefs, and can be naïve about this.

His passion and loyalty are a part of his overall strength of character, as an elf with a strong and loving heart whose perseverance drives him to great accomplishment as a warrior and a servant, and makes him always ready to rise to the occasion, no matter what is demanded of him. His faithfulness and his fervor and deep capacity to love are also a large part of his relationship with his wife, Sairien. He is very trusting of the people that he sees as trustworthy, but everyone must earn this view from him, and this is not an easy thing to do. When it comes to whom or what Maegisil places his deep-rooted faith in, he is not at all naïve.

He is also not at all the kind of person who loves ‘freely’. Perhaps it would strengthen his character if he was such a person, but it is in his nature to show love for a very select few, and to show only the amount of respect that seems proper for everyone else. He is most often outwardly stern and dutiful, and has been told to ‘loosen up’ on occasion. This appearance sometimes makes him initially disliked, though most often those who get more acquainted with him warm up to him quickly. Maegisil may not be an open book to anyone but Sairien and Celebrimbor, but he can easily lose his severity and show a warm face to others.

HISTORY: Born in SA 38, Maegisil was one of the first born in Lindon. He was raised as a both a warrior, a defender of his people, and as a craftsman, who could serve his people in many ways. In SA 750 he was among the younger, adventurous elves who accompanied Celebrimbor in the founding of Eregion. In those travels, Celebrimbor came upon the young elf practicing his swordsmanship (mainly, in his brashness, to show off what he had recently learned from an elder, more seasoned warrior – one of Celebrimbor’s personal guards), and examined the blade Maegisil was using, in curiosity. When the young elf informed the lord that he had crafted it himself, Celebrimbor became even more interested, and they spoke for a long time. This was, of course, not the last time they spoke, and it came that the elf-lord practically adopted Maegisil as a son.

In the many years that followed, he became more of a brother than a son, growing wise and strong in both mind and heart, as well as body, through the help and simply the observation of one such as Celebrimbor. His crafting skills were also drastically improved, as we was personally instructed by the elf-lord. Soon, Maegisil was appointed by the lord to a position in which he acted as a personal assistant to Celebrimbor, though his job was less like a servant’s and more comparable to that of a counselor, though Maegisil would never be as bold to consider it such. Around SA 1200, however, Maegisil began to counsel his lord less, as a person named ‘Annatar’ had arrived, and, following this, the elf-lord began to spend quite a bit of his time in the forge. Still, Maegisil saw much of Celebrimbor and aided him many a time until around 1500, when the elf-lord grew even scarcer. The one called Annatar was always coming and going, and by the early to mid 1500s, Maegisil did not see him at all, and was gladdened by this. He assumed that he would see more of his lord with Annatar gone. But he found himself to be wrong.

The Lord Celebrimbor still performed all his usually duties, and spoke with his friend Maegisil, but did so less and less, slowly. Late in the year 1590, Maegisil asked for the lady Sairien’s hand in marriage, as he had long been acquainted with and had spoken to her, as she was part of Celebrimbor’s court. But, soon after this, Celebrimbor disappeared for 6 days, working constantly in the forge. When he finally emerged, he acted strangely, speaking of Rings and of his creations. For years Celebrimbor hid what he had crafted, until late in 1692, when the Elves were on the brink of war with Sauron, who had grown much in power. Following this, he sent the Three to Lindon, where it was determined where to hide them, so that Sauron would never possess them. As Celebrimbor prepares for defending Eregion from Sauron’s forces, Maegisil aids him in every way that he can, and readies his sword for the defense of Ost-in-Edhil.

Durelin's post ------- FIRST FOR THE GAME

The Three ~ A Prologue

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

In the Second Age of Middle-earth, deep within the heat of the forge, the rhyme was fulfilled. Sauron, under the disguise of one named Annatar, had come to the Elven-smiths, the Gwaith-i-Mírdain of Eregion. Dark magic bred deception, and Sauron the Deceiver seduced the Elves, taking on a body fair and majestic. The might of a Maia and the skill of the elven craftsmen brought into the world a new power, a power which few knew the true greatness of. It is unlikely that even its creators knew its full power, besides perhaps the great trickster, the servant of Morgoth. Might and authority, fueled by deep magic from the dawn of time, was poured into the molds in the shapes of rings, and these creations, the greatest of crafts forged by the Noldorin smiths, became the Rings of Power.

The magic of all nineteen of these rings, and one other, would be a part of Sauron’s greatest treachery. Only three would survive and make the journey to Valinor with their bearers. These were the greatest of the Rings, named Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, which had been forged by Celebrimbor himself, Lord of Eregion.

~*~*~*~

c. SA 1590

“It has been quite some time since I saw Lord Celebrimbor…” The Elf trailed off, an unspoken question hanging on the silence that followed. “It has been some time for me as well, Master Annúnfin,” Maegisil replied, speaking as if he was only lightly commenting, but answering his companion quite seriously. He knew it was important business when Annúnfin wished to speak with the Lord Celebrimbor, and when the Elf-lord had been absent from his normal duties for so long. “I will be sure to inform him that you wish to speak with him, when I do see him,” he finished, his last words bringing many thoughts to his mind. When…I hope that shall not be much longer.

It was difficult for Maegisil to explain to all those who wished to receive an audience with the lord that he could not even speak to his master, and had not been able to for many days; this was unexpected, as Maegisil had served Celebrimbor as the lord’s attendant for many years now. Though Maegisil would never be so bold as to say it, he was also a close friend, and an old friend, of the lord.

Celebrimbor had been spending almost all of his time in the forge, sweating over his work, and conversing mostly with the visitor, Annatar. The strange elf – at least, Maegisil believed he was an elf; he was certainly of a fair race, though it was impossible to say which he belonged to for sure – seemed to be some sort of a magician. What business this elf had with the Lord of Eregion was a mystery to Maegisil, as well as to all those who had never even had a chance to speak to the lord before, and those who knew him well. It was bewildering to all except those who worked in the forge with Celebrimbor and this ‘Annatar’, some of the greatest of the Noldorin craftsmen, second only to Celebrimbor himself. For almost seven days now the forges at Ost-in-Edhil had been burning, it seemed, day and night, and had been kept off-limits to most of the city dwellers. Maegisil had ventured to speak to his lord the previous afternoon, and had briefly watched several of the smiths at work. There had been much noise emerging at a constant rate from the forge for those past 6 days, so that Maegisil had barely been able to hear his own voice over the clamor, but now all was quiet, and only the barred doors told anyone that they were still hard at work. Hopefully, though, the silence meant that their task, whatever it was, was nearing completion, and Maegisil would no longer have to wait in his Lord Celebrimbor’s antechamber, spending hours pacing and straightening gemmed statues and chests, and delicately woven tapestries on the walls, and rich cloths over table-tops…none of which needed any straightening whatsoever.

Annúnfin muttered some kind of thanks with a slight bow of his head in simple respect, and turned to go. But Maegisil watched as the elf turned back in one swift motion and looked him in the eye, and he prepared himself for more questions that he could not answer. He was surprised when Annúnfin simply said, “I was pleased to hear you have found yourself a wife, Maegisil.”

Maegisil stumbled on his thoughts for a moment, his mouth open to reply but words coming out. Finally his mind caught up with his mouth and he responded. “Thank you,” he began, a little uncertain, and obviously caught off-guard by Annúnfin’s comment. “It has been wonderful, very wonderful.”

A small smile formed on Annúnfin’s face, his eyes full of an understanding that Maegisil believed he would never have. Master Annúnfin was decidedly his elder, and never left any doubt of this in Maegisil’s impression. The elder elf turned to go again, and this time, Maegisil watched him walk away through the large gilded doors that exited into the great hallway that led up to his chambers. Maegisil’s mind traveled to thoughts of Sairien, his wife. But he did not have long to dwell on these, as they were interrupted by the flinging open of the doors of the antechamber. Immediately Maegisil looked up from the patch of beautifully tiled floor he had been staring at, knowing before his eyes even had a chance to see who was entering the chamber that only one person had ever flung those doors open before, and normally in excitement.

“Maegisil! My dear Maegisil!” Celebrimbor was practically shouting, seemingly frantic with excitement, full of energy, and obviously quite happy to see the elf that he had just found waiting in his antechamber. “I have much to tell you!”

“As have I to tell you, my lord,” Maegisil responded, maintaining an outwardly calm and dutiful appearance, though he was full of happiness to see that his lord was quite safe and healthy, and to finally be able to speak with him. He also felt a certain amount of excitement following Celebrimbor’s entrance, matching the elf-lord’s manner.

“Please, Maegisil, there is no necessity for any ‘my lord’s. These are my chambers, and so you may call me what you please.” Maegisil knew this, though he did like showing what he felt was the proper respect, and was prepared to respond, but he was ran over by Celebrimbor’s words, which rushed out in his enthusiasm.

“But you must know…I have finished them, and they are the greatest of all things I, or anyone, has ever crafted. Perhaps they are great enough even to relinquish my cursed House’s honor, though I doubt there is anything even an immortal can do in this Age or any Age to come that would out-do the power of the Oath of Fëanor.”

The lord paused long enough for Maegisil to speak quickly, “What have you finished, my lord?”

In his haste, he had forgotten to leave off the ‘my lord’, but it seemed that Celebrimbor no longer cared, as he was too deep in thought, seemingly enthralled with this new accomplishment that he spoke of vehemently. “Why, they are the Three. They are the greatest of the Rings of Power, of all 19. Yes, 19, after 90 years. And I fear there must be more to come. They truly are like nothing this world has known, even in Ages past, even with the War of the Silmarils long behind us. Of course, the creation of most of the rings was made possible by Annatar, and now…” He trailed off, his excitement slowly turning from confusion to what could only be fear. That was not something Maegisil was accustomed to seeing on the face and in the eyes of the elf-lord.

“Now what? I do not understand…” Maegisil trailed off, realizing that he really had nothing to say, though there were hundreds of questions running through his mind.

“Now, I am afraid I have made a grave mistake. A mistake that will affect the lives of many in both this Age and the Age to come, perhaps even Ages to come. I am very afraid, Maegisil, very afraid of what I, and my craftsmen, have done, and I am even more afraid of what the one I know only as Annatar has done, and what he will do. O by the Valar, Maegisil! For the first time in my life, I do not know what to do.”

Maegisil felt very uncertain in the silence that followed; he was confused, as well as uneasy and afraid, though he did not even understand why he was at all at unrest, except for what he saw in the look in Celebrimbor’s eyes and what he heard in the tone of his voice.

“What should I do, my lord?” he asked, cautiously, breaking the silence.

“I do not…” he stopped in the middle of this thought, took a breath, collecting himself, and started again, his thoughts renewed, “Soon, the Three must go from here. They must be hidden; they cannot be kept here. Though Annatar is gone, and he has been gone for some time, they mustn’t be within his reach. There is no way to undo what has been done, but, though they seem a curse to me now, the Three will not leave the house of our people.”

~*~*~*~

c. 1600

Maegisil bowed before the Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn next to an elf he did not know the name of and their dwarf companions. He and this elf had traveled through Moria at the direction of the dwarves to exit through the eastern gate and make their way to Lorien, where they had recently been welcomed and led to Caras Galadon. Maegisil had been told very little by Celebrimbor, and was given only the instructions to guard his elf companion, and not bring any attention to themselves or their movements. Following orders, Maegisil did not ask the elf his name, and spoke to him only to make suggestions as to what paths they should take to avoid different obstacles of the land. Now that they had reached their destination, Maegisil did not speak at all.

The strange elf rose from his bow as the Lady Galadriel came forward. He turned to give Maegisil a look that clearly meant to stay out of his business. So Maegisil backed away to stand some distance from the elf, gesturing that the dwarves following him. Of course Viss Stonecut and his companions did not like this at all, and they grumbled a bit before joining Maegisil. Viss was the first to move, and the rest followed his lead. At least two of the dwarves present were certainly related to him, and younger, and obviously they held some kind of respect for him. There were only four dwarves, but even four of that race was enough to be quite the crowd, and they looked odd standing in a clump in the domain and presence of so many elves. Maegisil remained removed from them and watched in wonder as Galadriel accepted a small wooden chest from the unnamed elf. The Lady’s face was marvelously frightening as it scanned the faces of those who surrounded her, meeting Maegisil’s eyes for a moment. She did not smile as she had when she greeted them.

Suddenly she spoke, and spoke to all present. It seemed she was not as keen to hiding the proceedings. “Remember that there will always be light in Lorien, as I will bear this Ring, Nenya. You will always be safe here.” And as she raised her hand aloft just slightly, all present realized she had opened the chest and already donned what it contained. The beauty of Nenya startled them all, and left them full of wonder. Soon, far away upon the western shores of Middle-earth, the Elven-kings Gil-galad and Cirdan would wear the Rings Narya and Vilya, and the Three Rings for the Elven-kings, and Queen, would remain as powers of good in Middle-earth until they passed over into the West.

~*~*~*~

Late in the year SA 1695

Maegisil rushed up several flights of stairs only to stop and cautiously enter a pair of gilded doors, his mind filled with memories, all that he recalled from a day over a century ago. It did not seem that long ago, and yet the thought that the day he recalled was only several days after he had asked for his Sairien’s hand in marriage was nearly unbelievable.

Entering the chamber behind the gilded double doors, Maegisil found, of course, exactly whom he was looking for, reclining on a long couch and examining a game board with many small, flat, rounded stone pieces on it in designated positions. It was some kind of strategy game that the elf-lord had once tried to teach to Maegisil, praising how consuming it was and how much it put the mind in a struggle, forcing it to think as quickly as it could under pressure. Just what a general needed, he had said. As Maegisil had no interest in becoming a general, and simply wished to remain in his place at Celebrimbor’s side in battle, he had quickly given up on the game.

“My lord,” he began cautiously, interrupting Celebrimbor’s thoughts so that the lord’s head snapped up from the game board with a perturbed look on his face. His face softened quickly, though, and he asked Maegisil what had brought him here.

“Well, sir, we have received word from the King Gil-galad that the servant of Morgoth, Sauron, has grown in power enough that his armies have begun to terrorize the eastern part of these lands.”

“Sauron…much have I heard that name of late.” The elf-lord rose, a troubled look on his face, and began to pace. “He has even been in my dreams,” he paused in his pacing, and in his words, to look Maegisil in the eye, urgency written upon his face.

“It was only a matter of time before he would attack and strike back at our people.”

“But we still are in possession of the Three, and they are safe.” Maegisil cut in, reminding the elf-lord that there was at least one possible advantage.

“I can only hope that they will be more a blessing than the curse that they seem to be,” Celebrimbor quickly said in response to Maegisil’s statement, still unsure of whether or not the safe existence of the Three was in fact a good thing.

“They are not a curse as long as they are safe in the hands of Kings and a Queen of our people," the younger elf assured his lord. “And Lord Elrond has been sent to our aid with a considerable force,” Maegisil said, hoping to bring some kind of relief to his lord, uncertain of what the elf was so afraid of, and quickly growing afraid himself.

“It will be some time before he will reach us here, and Sauron will be moving quickly. Not too quickly – he is too wise for that. But his armies will arrive in Eregion, and they will march upon the gates of Ost-in-Edhil, and he will call upon me. But he does not know where the Three are, nor of the oath I have sworn…”

“We will be prepared for Sauron’s attack, my lord," Maegisil said, again trying to give his lord confidence in the situation. “Sauron is very strong, and our strength here does not match that of Forlindon and Harlindon, but there are many in Eregion that will fight for you.”

Celebrimbor laughed slightly, leaving Maegisil confused. It was almost a bitter laugh, and was the kind of laugh you hear from someone who is distressed and yet finds something to be darkly laughable. “I know you will fight for me, Maegisil,” the elf-lord said, “but I ask it of you and others to fight for our people, for their families.”

Maegisil only nodded, standing grave and silent before his lord, and recalling the day over century ago when Celebrimbor had first told him of the Rings. He was again afraid as he had been on that day, and when he looked at Celebrimbor, tall, fair, and brooding, he knew that the lord felt that same: afraid and uncertain. The biggest difference to Maegisil this time was the more prominent presence of Sauron. Since around the year 1200 of that age, word had it Sauron had been establishing his fortress in Mordor, and now the threat of the Dark Lord was even more of a reality, and all were learning to tremble slightly at that name, most likely to the pleasure of its bearer.

Celebrimbor asked Maegisil if he would bring the King’s emissary to him, feeling it of course proper that he receive them and speak to them himself. The younger elf quickly obeyed and left the elf-lord alone, deep in thought. The master of the Elvensmiths had much on his mind, and few of his thoughts were pleasant.

As he had sworn, the Three Rings, the greatest creations he had ever crafted, which he had hoped would be a blessing to himself and to his people, would never fall out of the hands of the Eldar, as they were hidden safely. They had been for close to a century, as he had long awaited the time when Sauron the Deceiver, or ‘Annatar’ as he had known him for a time, would strike with the power of his Ring. But the other rings were all in Sauron’s possession. Celebrimbor kept coming back to this thought, the knowledge of just how far the Deceiver’s power extended. But, as the elf-lord kept telling himself, he would never have the greatest, the Three. They would be a powerful defense for his people. Or so, at least, he hoped the future of these rings would unfold. I beg of Ilúvatar, let not the Oath of Fëanor mar this.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-19-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #199
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Elves of Eregion

Amanaduial's character

NAME: Narisiel Mirdain

AGE: 1210 at the time of the forging of the rings, 1313 at the beginning of the War. (born in SA 380)

RACE: Elf, originally from Harlindon, now dwelling in Ost-in-Edhil

WEAPONS: As a woman, Narisiel was not formally trained with weapons, but her father taught her more than a little practical knowledge with a sword and arrows, somewhat more than simply self-defence. Her husband, Sirithlonnior, a soldier, echoed this concern that she should be able to use a weapon, and so subsequently Narisiel is fairly proficient with a sword. She therefore crafted for herself a sword that can be used double-handed but also works well when used single handed: she is strong enough to wield a heavier weapon due to years working in a forge and is therefore strong for a woman, but knows that in a battle situation when she might have to use her sword, there would certainly be others with simply more brute strength than her, and so the skill that can be gained with a lighter weapon may be favourable. Hers is therefore lighter than a traditional double-handed sword, but a little heavier and longer than might be expected of a single-handed short stabbing sword. It is more a thing of beauty than weaponry, with the finest leather binding its hilt and a pommel and guard laid over with silver, and alfirin leaves winding a slim, delicate chain down the blade to the tip: Sirithlonnior teased her that such a flower is too associated with death, but Narisiel simply smiled and pointed out that did that not make Alfirin all the more appropriate for a weapon?

APPEARANCE: Narisiel’s features could have been crafted by her own delicate fingers, her fine boned face symmetrical and certainly striking. Her skin is pale due to the hours hidden behind a guard in a forge or in her workshop poring over some delicate piece of finery, her chin a little pointed and determined, her sharp, intelligent eyes solemn and thoughtful yet quick to flash with amusement: they are surprisingly dark and so are all the more striking when set in her pale face. Her pale face is framed with almost black hair, again making a stark contrast against her light skin; it falls down to her waist, although this is not particularly practical for her work, and so is usually tied up in a long plait down her back, or twisted in several plaits to keep it out of the way: this means that whenever she lets it loose, her hair retains a permanent series of waves all down its length. Narisiel is not especially tall for her people, standing at about 5’9”, and she is quite slender but muscular: outside of her forge or workshop, she wears clothes similar to any other lady of high standing, for her profession has taught her to love beauty, and such dress belies her muscles to an extent, lying in context with her delicate features; but in the forge she wears clothes much like any of the other smiths but obviously with a few adaptations: dark, sturdy clothes, often of leather or similar primarily practical, hard-wearing materials: a jerkin worn over a shirt, whose sleeves are usually rolled up above her elbows, breeches of a softer, more easily moveable material, over which a long apron is worn, which reaches down to mid-shin. These are the clothes that are usually only seen by other smiths, however: in public she dresses as a lady.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Narisiel is a woman of natural intelligence that she had done her best to use in her studies to become one of the foremost smiths of Eregion. This also required a fair amount of determination of course, and determination she certainly has: she is not one to back down from a challenge or from something she believes in or loves dearly, and her determination reaches to the point of stubbornness. However, that is not to say that her heart will always rule her head, and her prudence and wise advise is valued by Celebrimbor, as is her quick wit by both her Lord and her husband. It is a wit that is not always seen, however: in public, Narisiel remains quite quiet with those she does not know well or yet trust, and she is quick, often too quick, to judge other people. Her quiet, often solemn nature probably came initially from her father’s own rather sombre personality when she was growing up, always in comparison to her dead older brother although he always valued his daughter for what she was. The quiet, modest understanding that existed between Narisiel and her father is something that remains in her relationships in the present as well, and she is not, as some are, afraid of silence in a conversation. But that is not to say that she is always so: she is quick to show her amusement or her love when in private, and her son’s birth has perhaps extended her capacity to love, and love him she does, with a fierce, protective love that, for almost the first time in her life, overshadows her work. Maybe some of the fire from her forge has slipped into her nature, for her fierceness often shows in other areas as well, and in a debate her quietness can quite vanish in place of powerful and heated oratory skills. She is a skilled smith, a wise counsellor, a loving mother and a good wife, all at once a very private person as well as a public figure.

HISTORY: Born in Harlindon, Narisiel was the only daughter and eventually the only child of her parents, her mother and brother both drowning only a few weeks after she was born. Her father, an elf much older than his young wife, never blamed his daughter for surviving in place of her strong, intelligent older brother, and neither was he consciously disappointed in his only child being a daughter, but nonetheless Narisiel always felt the pressure, his need for her to succeed in place of her brother. As she was female, Narisiel would not trained as a warrior, as a brother would have been; but her father was not an especially affectionate or excessively extravagant man, and subsequently his way of showing his love for his daughter was not to spoil her as an only child, but to instead lavish upon her a gift that would last her far longer than material goods: the gift of an education. Instead of being given jewels, Narisiel was to learn how to make them – to earn a living and, at the same time, to earn a way of making her father proud. Subsequently when she came of age, Narisiel was sent East to Eregion to a friend of her father’s, for where better to learn to be a smith than from the Mirdain themselves?

Narisiel studied hard and her natural intelligence and hard work paid off as she rose in renown in her profession, being unusual both as a female and as a foreigner, but always with the backing of her father, although he remained in Lindon, and her mentor, an experienced jewelsmith – Narisiel in turn specialised in jewellery especially. The great effort and time she put into her profession often left the young elven woman with little time for herself, but, coming herself from the ‘land of music’, she had a love of music and kept this up – and eventually it was through music that she met her husband, Sirithlonnior, a captain in the army of Eregion, who she married in 1482. But Narisiel continued to rise in renown and skill, reaching the dizzy heights of the innermost forges in which Celebrimbor himself worked, and there faced her greatest challenge yet: working on nineteen rings, the greatest rings that would ever grace the face of this earth. Like the rest of the smiths and craftsmen who talked to Annatar of the rings, Narisiel fell under the spell of the magic and wonder that these rings would be, and so with those select few, she threw herself into the creation of those rings. To an extent, maybe, she was jealous of Annatar, his skill so great that he was immediately welcomed into Ost-in-Edhil without question, rather than having to work his way up as she had; on the other hand, maybe part of her wished to impress him, and to impress the Lord Celebrimbor. But the best was not yet to come: in the year 1590, Narisiel, along with a few more select jewelsmiths, was to work on the pinnacle of nearly a century’s work: the forging of three rings, three rings that would almost cast the others in shadow, fire, water and air; the three greatest elven rings.

Her enthusiasm in those last six days almost turned to an obsession, and not for any of the three men in her life would she come out of the forges – or reveal her work to them. Narisiel barely stopped to sleep or eat, so determined was she to prove herself as one of the Mirdain, to live up to the honour that had been bestowed on her. But as she had worked on the rings, from about halfway through their forging in the 1540s, she had felt some sort of unease, something…not quite right about the making of these nineteen rings, and in the last six days as Celebrimbor locked himself away with only those few smiths and the mysterious Annatar, she realised that she was not the only one to feel that unease: Celebrimbor had the air of a desperate man, a man working to forge paradise but with the worry that it would simply yield only an empty utopia. And as the three rings were finally completed, their delicate finishing touches detailed by Celebrimbor himself, the pride in Narisiel’s heart was somewhat overshadowed – overshadowed by a doom sense of ‘what have we done’. Things that powerful could not be all good…but little did she know the power of what those beautiful, perfect creations could do.

In the last one hundred years, the elven smith continued her work as a jewelsmith, but also extended her expertise into other areas of crafting, working secondarily on armoury, often fine, ceremonial pieces, as close to jewellery as possible; for how could she work solely on jewellery when she knew that she could never create something as perfect and powerful as those rings? She tried to put them out of her mind, but seemed haunted by them: she was blessed with a son, and Sirithlonnior gave him the name Artamirion, noble jewel, and although the name seemed to fit, her son being the only thing she could imagine more beautiful than those rings, she was unsure if she liked such a comparison, the dread that it seemed to entail. After the creation of the rings, Narisiel became an advisor to the Lord Celebrimbor, and at the same time a friend, but it was a somewhat wary, almost guilty friendship, both elves unable to forget the three elven rings. In time, the memory of them dimmed, and Narisiel was able to get on with her life as a counsellor, as a wife, as a mother, and as a smith – but little did she know how those rings would stir the folds of history, more than a century after their creation…

Amanaduial the archer's post

Seated gracefully on the banks of the river, Ost-in-Edhil spread it’s elegant almost lotus-shaped leaves out over the River Glanduin. Bordered on one side by mountains and surrounded by rivers on all others – the Glanduin and smaller Siranon, glancing off the larger river, the tributaries of Nin-in-Eilph, and the majestic Mitheithel – it sat harmlessly in the South of Eregion. In the capital of the ‘holly region’, all was hustle and bustle as always: the year was drawing on yet above the heads of the elven inhabitants the holly leaves still swung gently in the winds, and the sound of the elvensmiths in their forges, always, always sang out among their evergreen leaves. From a birdseye view, little could the eagles that circled regally overhead have guessed what busy little bees had been working on inside those forges – and what evil their creations would bring from over the mountains of Mordor…

As Maegisil was rushing hastily down the stairs of Celebrimbor’s regal dwelling from his master’s rooms on his master’s errand, one of the Lord of Eregion’s other advisors was also working hard, but far away from the finery of Celebrimbor’s rooms, where her lordship played games of strategy. Hers was another type of work indeed: the work that Ost-in-Edhil’s Mirdain were famous for.

The clang of Nerisiel’s hammer rang out again and again on the anvil, the flat-ended instrument chiming out almost musically. The elf took careful aim each time before she clashed iron against steel, but the force with which she smashed down her tool seemed to convey anger more than anything else. Eventually, her pale face glinting in the firelight of the forge, the elvensmith set her hammer down, with a pair of tongs, lifted the object of her attentions from the anvil; and after close inspection, she nodded slightly, her delicate features satisfied, and took the item over to her workbench. Setting the article – a new sword blade – carefully down on the bench, Nerisiel seated herself beside it, her feet curling up around the chair leg in an almost lady like manner that was somewhat contradicted by the loose, dark workman’s trousers that they were clad in, overlaid with the shin-length leather apron common to working smiths. Not that any who came to see the Master Smith would have commented on it – or not out loud anyway. After all, in Ost-in-Edhil, female smiths were not entirely uncommon – but for one to reach her standard of craftsmanship: that was.

Humming softly to herself, the elf studied the blade she had made closely, holding it almost delicately in the tongs although it had now cooled sufficiently to be touched. It was a commissioned blade from one of her husband’s colleagues, a Captain in Eregion’s army, as a gift for his son, and would therefore be rather more ornamental before she had finished with it. After all, her own blade, which hung proudly over her forge as an example of her work, was testimony to the fact that simply because a weapon is a tool of violence, it cannot also be a thing of beauty – and having known the boy to whom the sword would be bestowed since be was a small child no more than about ten summers, she intended to make this article just such. Nothing less would do for Nerisiel, for she was after all a jewel smith above all else. A profession which had come back recently to haunt her… The elf pursed her lips grimly and turned back to the task in hand. Yes, the blade would have to take another heating before the engravings that she planned were carved on it, but not too much: she could begin them today, it was not too late in the day…

“Who is that for?”

The voice came from the entrance to the forge and was one so familiar to the smith that it did not make her jump but instead prompted a smile on her pretty features. She turned, smiling, to face the young elf who leant with his arms nonchalantly crossed against the door post of her workshop, the leaves of the holly that was trained around her doorway lightly brushing hair as dark as his own. Her finest work of art: her son.

“It is for a friend of yours actually, Artamir – Leneslath, Captain Rimborien’s son. A gift from his parents, a reward for his recent promotion?” Artamir nodded, coming slowly forward into the dim of the forge, the light glinting mischievously in his eyes, lighter than those of his mother, as he examined the blade from behind his mother’s shoulder. She turned to watch her son proudly: he would be fifty summers this year and had truly grown into a beautiful young man, a son who both she and her husband were proud of.

Artamir smiled at his mother, stepping back slightly, and then nodded towards the beginnings of a hilt that lay further down the bench. “For the same?” When his mother nodded, Artamir raised his eyebrows. “Silver? Will you be using rubies with it?”

She smiled and shook her head. Although he was bound to be a soldier, as his father was, she was glad that her son nonetheless did not dismiss his mother’s art and had come to appreciate her craft – even to the point of knowing some of her designs. “Emerald. His previous sword was made of the same, Rimborien informs me, and besides, they will suit his nature more: he is a far less fierce young man than yourself, Artamir!” she chided teasingly.

“And where did I get such a trait, I wonder, mother? Not from my father I think…” the younger elf grinned and raised a sardonic eyebrow at his mother. “Am I then to have rubies?”

Nerisiel kept a straight face as she replied, “What makes you think you shall receive such gems in your sword, my son? Why, I had intended simply a plain design for you – nay, in fact, your current training sword shall do just fine, I shall model my design on that!” she teased, referring to the sword that Artamir used for sword training, a plain, blockish instrument that the smith’s trained elf regarded critically as the bare essentials – that is, it had a blade, a hilt, and not much else. Her son’s eyes widened – he still had the innocence of youth enough to be surprised – then he put on a mock sad face. “As you wish, mother…”

Nerisiel laughed and embraced her son fondly before sending him on his way out of her workshop – he had come by on his way home from training with a few of his friends, and he proudly informed her that Rimborien’s son – a boy no few years older than himself – had complimented him on his style. Nerisiel smiled at the doorway that her son had just left. Style, they said? And style his gift would most certainly have, once his coming of age was reached next summer – as Sirithlonnior, his father, would certainly have been able to tell him, had Nerisiel not sworn him to secrecy, for a light came into her eyes whenever she spoke of the sword’s details. The blade she made as her son’s first sword would be one of her finest weaponry creations yet…

Her finest creations yet…

Nerisiel sighed heavily and rubbed her tired eyes with the back of one hand. The thought of those rings, those finest of all pieces ever created, and her part in their making had returned more and more often to her mind of late. Pushing away the sword blade she had been working on, the smith walked across her workshop and stepped out into the street outside to behold the view from the city walls. Although she had the privilege to work for and with Celebrimbor in the innermost forges, she had not wishes to give up her own workshop at the East side of the city, for the memories it had of her earliest days with her mentor, and for the view it held over the Sirannon and the mountains to the East. Maybe this siting was no longer such an advantage: every day, Nerisiel was reminded of the darkness that was growing in the East, over those mountains in Mordor…

Sighing, the elvensmith returned to her desk and, after a slight hesitation, she put aside the soft cloth that she had her hand on with a mind to wrapping it up. No: she had people to see but what use would it be to brood on the dark thoughts on her mind? After all, Leneslath’s blade would not get done itself… Picking up the tongs again and resuming her humming as she tried to lighten her heart, Nerisiel returned to her forge to heat the blade – the engraving would be next. As her humming continued, the elvensmith’s heart lifted as she turned once again to the business in hand – weaponry, rather than those three, beautiful pieces of jewellery…
Old 07-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #200
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Narya

Elves of Eregion

Esgallhugwen's character

NAME: Fëaglin Lómë

RACE: Elf of Eregion

WEAPONS : A long sword, light yew longbow, elvish rope.

APPEARANCE: Usually has a stern contemplative look on his face. Which only adds more severity to his clear grey eyes that some say give off an odd glint of light. His long blonde hair is plaited along the sides in intricate if not eccentric braids to keep it out of his face. He is well built but thin and lithe enough to pass by unnoticed. His garb usually consists of the colours crimson and black (very eccentric indeed) of course he does wear a customary leather apron when doing his silver smith work.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Fëaglin has a cool and collected head on his shoudlers. He is a reliable and loyal friend with a cunning mind and a keen skill in silver craft. He hopes to someday be true to kind and noble deeds. But for all his good qualities he can be a bit of a loudmouth on rare occasions when he over indulges in the finer vineyards of wine housed in the cellar.

HISTORY: Having lived in Eregion for quite some time Fëaglin was accustomed to the peacefulness that came with it. He often spends his time deep in thought about his next venture in silver smithing, whether rings or ring mail he considers the designs with a tacticians grace. He has a sharp eye and deft fingers to detail and throughout his career has never missed an oppportunity to show his skill with a master's flourish. His father was somewhat of a military man and showed his young son the art of sword and bow in case they would be needed some day. His mother was a kind hearted soul always willing to give to others and often spent her time in the garden tending to flowers and singing with the birds.

Esgallhugwen's post

Fëaglin's hammer made a sharp tinging sound as it struck the silver, flattening it into a wide band. He then took a small pair of pliers and twisted the metal to his desired effect, plaiting it along with two other strands in an intricate fashion of spirals and curves, similar to the delicate knotwork of vines.

He laughed heartily as he finished his commisioned task, a spiraling necklace for a bride to be, and nine circlets for the maids in waiting. A fellow silver-smith across the street with a bright young apprentice had made two beautiful rings for the couple. Fëaglin had been close to the furnace all day, so it was no suprise that he thought he deserved a nip of fresh air along with a nip of some fine wine.

The lean Elf cleared his work area, and set the finished silver pieces along a long table made viewable through a window so that others may admire his work, and be inspired to commision or buy some of his pre-crafted vendibles. The sun was setting as he locked up his shop for the night, and made his way into his house, just spacious enough for himself and one other. He shook the stiffness from his fingers.

But there was no other, not yet at any rate and at times Fëaglin grew heart sick in the dark of his room playing with the silver trinkets he had fashioned in his spare time in his forge. One in particular was special to him, a device of curious beauty.

Many loops of silver were strung together with subtle gems interlaced in the finery, and when one would push the outer most ring the others were set into motion, revolving around one another in a dizzying harmony. And if the light of the setting sun were to hit the gems just right an efflorescence of watery colour would sweep across the vaulted ceiling.

He had not revealed this creation to anyone, this creation of his helped to sooth his troubled thoughts and helped to clear his mind. Fëaglin was not blind to the encroaching darkness nor was he insensitive to the greater weight it was now pushing onto his Kin, threatening their very way of life.

Rumours had come of orcs along the borders and of Eregion's impending doom, but also the rumoured hope that help would arrive before all came to naught. Fëaglin hoped with all his will that that were true.

His grey eyes gazed steadily at the sword and bow hanging from the far wall, a growing knowledge came to him that they would have to be used before the end. He stood and walked down into the cellar picking a glass and small bottle of home made wine.

He made his was into the well kept courtyard and uncorked the bottle with the intention to finish it before he crept into bed under the starry sky. His head would be clearer in the morning.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-18-2005 at 01:35 PM.