Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #241
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pio, that sounds fine to me. I'll put in a post or two before that to describe what's going on.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:12 AM   #242
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Dwarves, Lorien elves, Orcs

Let's clarify something right now -- the story line for the Dwarves is not running on the same timeline as the Elven-smiths. And neither is the Lorien Elves timeline. (Once the Dwarves and Lorien Elves travel through the mines and out to Ost-in-Edhel then we can all synchronize on the time of day, etc.)

And the Lindon Elves at present are way off in left-field somewhere . . .

At present - it is morning for the Elvensmiths.

The Dwarves, on the other hand, have just finished supper in their timeline and will be going the following day to fetch the Lorien Elves when they reach the place where the Celebrant River runs into the Mirrormere. It's 40 miles from gate to gate according to Tolkien. It will take the Dwarves 2 1/2 days from where they are (near the West-gate of Moria) to cross under the mountain and reach the East-gate of Moria (near the upper end of the Mirrormere).

It will also take the Lorien Elves about 2 1/2 days from the northwestern perimeter of Lorien to reach the spot by the Mirrormere where the Dwarves will pick them up.

*** So, we can take as long as it needs to get the Dwarves and Elves in position to meet, depending on what each of those groups want to cover. ***

The Orcs can either surprise the Elves as they near the Mirrormere and the Dwarves rush out to their aid. Or the Dwarves and Elves can meet and be ambushed from the hills as the group passes along the western edge of the Mirrormere heading for the East-gate to Moria.

Just surprise us Orcs - it's more fun that way!

How does this sound to everyone concerned?

------

DWARVES

I think as we travel through the mines each day, we should pick up other Dwarves to take with us. How about 20 other Dwarves? Some should be friends for each of us. (We can all invent a battle buddy - no need to write a bio for them.) That way when we meet the Orcs, some Dwarves can be badly injured and perhaps 2 or 3 die who are our friends. It should fuel our anger even more.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

---

LORIEN ELVES - Arestevana and Seth Cotton

You have 100 Elves with you, correct? 60 archers and 40 swordsmen all on foot - + wooden carts with supplies drawn by horses.

Will it be Celeborn who leads the group this time?

What do you think about the plan for the battle before the Dwarves and Elves reach the safety of Moria? Any suggestions?

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-22-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:18 AM   #243
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.

Left field? Are we now mixing baseball and Tolkien?

- E -
Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 AM   #244
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That sounds alright to me -- battle buddy and all.

I just saw Riv suggested Bror and Skald go ahead of the other two to raise more Dwarves for the expedition. That's fine with me. How about you, Folwren?

-- Arry
Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #245
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that's alright, but if there is anything added to the RPG since last night, I've not read it and I can't right now. Mom's in a frenzy to get out of here this morning so I don't have any computer time. Nuts. I'll be back later this evening. Just do what ever, it'll probably be alright.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #246
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
I've posted again... I hope that in both my posts, I have done no harm to your character, Aman.
Fine, yes. I'd rather have liked to have a chance to respond though Sort of at a loss now... Lovely posts though, Durelin.

As I've informed Durelin in PM already, I'm going to London tomorrow to perform in the BBC Elgar prom on Sunday (Wheee!), and won't be back until late Monday night i.e. about 12:30 am, do don't wait up, honey . I will therefore probably not be able to post until Tuesday; I apologise for this, and for not being able to post yet, but I've had serious amounts of rehersals over the past two weeks (last week it was up to 7 hours a day, which was....fun...), and have a concert tonight which I have to leave for in about half an hour. I'm really sorry, but I shall see you next week!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #247
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Folwren

I think the pace of the game will slow down a bit - there's always a flurry of posting at the very start.

We won't move on without you.

Still waiting to hear from the Elves of Lorien about the makeshift plans.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #248
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Hello

Just came home from my little trip. Haven't had computer access for six days. Sorry about that. =/ Will catch up tomorrow, I promise.

Envinyatar -
Quote:
Oro

I'll try to get a post up tonight. Ondomirë will meet Geldion at the local watering hole.
Excellent!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #249
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, well, I'm back now from a grand day out. What fun.

I just finished reading the posts that I had not previously read and I think it would be fine if Skald and Bror went off ahead together...however, it might not be a wise decision to send out the hue and cry and I think I'll have Bror say so.

Can our dwarves not start leaving until we hear from the Lorien Elves?

-Folwren
Old 07-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #250
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Eye

Filled in my save from yesterday.

Edited if needed.

Have a nice weekend,
Oro
Old 07-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #251
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
You have 100 Elves with you, correct? 60 archers and 40 swordsmen all on foot - + wooden carts with supplies drawn by horses.
Correct on all counts. As for whether Celeborn is leading: what would you advise?

I can't speak for Seth Cotton, but I think the battle before Moria is a great idea.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #252
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Please remember to not use icons on your RPG posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arestevana

Would you like to start moving the Lorien Elves toward the Mirrormere.

We'll get the Dwarves moving through the caverns. Perhaps by the end of the coming week we can engage the Orcs . . . we'll just have to see how much it will take to get our three groups coordinated.

~*~ Pio
Old 07-23-2005, 11:38 PM   #253
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
And Boromir, my dear chap, my dwarf's name is Bror...not Folwren.
Sorry about that, I obviously wasn't thinking when I was typing.

Quote:
Some should be friends for each of us. (We can all invent a battle buddy - no need to write a bio for them.)
I think I'll use the chap Orin ran into earlier. Good idea. Everything else sounds good to me.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:12 AM   #254
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've filled my SAVE.

I won't be on tomorrow (or rather today, I guess, since it's after midnight now). Will be able to put up a post the following day as needed.

-- Arry
Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #255
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thumbs up

Quote:
By Pio:
Some should be friends for each of us. (We can all invent a battle buddy - no need to write a bio for them.) That way when we meet the Orcs, some Dwarves can be badly injured and perhaps 2 or 3 die who are our friends. It should fuel our anger even more.
Oh, that's an excellent idea! Both having friends and having some people dying. That's kind of depressingly warped to say it's a great idea to have dying friends, but oh well. I don't think that all three of our people's different friends die. That would be drastic to have all three RPer's people's friends go down at once. If there was a general favorite and you wanted it to be really sad and really infuriating, then we could have that one guy die and that would be thought.

Other than that, I've no other comments or ideas at the present.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #256
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pio needs to patent this Battle Buddy System of hers.

Just a note to Alcarillo: I see that Cainenyo has made his way to the *silversmith part of town*...hopefully Narisiel and Maegisil will run into you?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #257
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh, that's an excellent idea! Both having friends and having some people dying. That's kind of depressingly warped to say it's a great idea to have dying friends, but oh well. I don't think that all three of our people's different friends die. That would be drastic to have all three RPer's people's friends go down at once.

Oh don't be so sentimental... I created an extended family just to have people to kill when the battle hots up

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #258
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

1420!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithalwen:
Oh don't be so sentimental... I created an extended family just to have people to kill when the battle hots up
It's not sentiment...it's having to do with coincidence and likelihood. Consider an outside reader...he knows there are four people writing about these dwarves and each person picks up a friend. Come battle, all four people's characters' friend dies and everyone gets to write about angry, grief stricken dwarves. The likelihood is slim, especially if the three brothers and uncle remain unscathed (or even if they're wounded), and it just wouldn't seem right. Now, I can see a universal friend getting killed and then everyone being mad for that reason, but not for each. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind killing off a few extra people to make the story more intriguing and full of feeling, but I don't think that we should kill everyone at once.

I would wish your extended family good luck, but I guess it's useless when I'm not the author.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #259
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
It's not sentiment...it's having to do with coincidence and likelihood. Consider an outside reader...he knows there are four people writing about these dwarves and each person picks up a friend. Come battle, all four people's characters' friend dies and everyone gets to write about angry, grief stricken dwarves. The likelihood is slim, especially if the three brothers and uncle remain unscathed (or even if they're wounded), and it just wouldn't seem right. Now, I can see a universal friend getting killed and then everyone being mad for that reason, but not for each. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind killing off a few extra people to make the story more intriguing and full of feeling, but I don't think that we should kill everyone at once.

I would wish your extended family good luck, but I guess it's useless when I'm not the author.

Ah well it is hard now... I was hoping not to name them but with a year wait for reinforcements and becoming a refugee it is clumsy to keep on saying "her brother...... " but now they are turning in to people and oh dear... they say you shouldn't name an animal if you are going to eat it....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #260
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Quote:
The likelihood is slim, especially if the three brothers and uncle remain unscathed (or even if they're wounded), and it just wouldn't seem right.
This is something I've done (although no one has to or even agree with it), but the first RPG I did "Ungoliant's Children" I actually had my main character die and my supporting character (his brother) ended up living. Kind of an interesting twist that I liked.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #261
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Just a note to Alcarillo: I see that Cainenyo has made his way to the *silversmith part of town*...hopefully Narisiel and Maegisil will run into you?
I somewhat doubt that unless they decide to walk about town for a bit. However, Fëaglin's shop is right across the street from where Cainenyo is going to. Perhaps Celebdur will be too busy to take Cainenyo's request? I'm waiting for Esgal to post to see what Fëaglin's doing at the moment.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #262
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
By Boromir:
This is something I've done (although no one has to or even agree with it), but the first RPG I did "Ungoliant's Children" I actually had my main character die and my supporting character (his brother) ended up living. Kind of an interesting twist that I liked.
lol! That's a very interesting twist! I have actually considered that to be Bror's fate, too, but then I always consider killing off my main character in some part of the developement of the story and rarely do.

Quote:
By Mithalwen:
Ah well it is hard now... I was hoping not to name them but with a year wait for reinforcements and becoming a refugee it is clumsy to keep on saying "her brother...... " but now they are turning in to people and oh dear... they say you shouldn't name an animal if you are going to eat it....
That is down right funny that you say that. Not that it means anything different to me in that saying, it just sounds...humorous. And it realy depends on if the animal you name is cute. We named our two steers that we ended up slaughtering and I tell you, we were not in the least sorry to see them go.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #263
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

I filled in my save. I'm sure the two brothers still around will be able to weigh in...

P.S.- I made sure I typed "Bror" this time.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #264
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Just a quickie note to say I'm back from London having performed in the Royal Albert Hall (wheee!), and I'll catch up as soon as possible.

As for sentiment...well, Narisiel's husband is already gone...*evil*
Old 07-27-2005, 12:01 PM   #265
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome back, Aman!

Alcarillo - Good plan. I do hope Esgal is able to post soon. I've PMed her to see if she's alive.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-27-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 AM   #266
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Oro

Good posts!

I've moved us on to mid-winter in my latest post - getting the last of the troops to Mithlond . . .

- E -
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #267
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Dwarves

Would one of you like to wake us up early in the a.m. (game-time) and get your party going?

~*~

Arestevana and Seth C

By the middle of next week, real time, can you have the Elves of Lorien entering the Nanduhirion Valley & nearing the southern edge of the Mirrormere. The Dwarves will meet you there.

~*~

Encai, Firefoot, and Kath

Did you want to do some posts before the battle happens?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little info about The valley/dale:

Nanduhirion is what the Elves named the valley in which the Mirrormere (Kheled-zâram to the Dwarves) lies.

In Common Speech, it's the Dimrill Dale.

The Dwarves call it Azanulbizar.

----

The river that runs from the Mirrormere through Lorien is called The Celebrant by the Elves, The Silverlode in Common Speech, and Kibil-nâla by the Dwarves.

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #268
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Question

As in, early for us here humans and tomorrow (July 29) morning? 'Early' needs defining. We don't all live in the same time zones... I can get up at six, if that's what you mean, but it might be seven or eight to other people.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #269
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Oh, sorry! Should have been more specific . . . . . . EDITED the previous post!

I meant game-time . . . early morning for the Dwarves.

So . . . any of us troglodytes (in the best sense of the word, of course) can get us going on our next day in the game and at any time convenient for the writer in real-time.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #270
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Pipe

I was about to say that we shouldn't wait until tomorrow. lol! Thanks for the clarification, Pio.

Ic an take the lead if Arry doesn't mind the risk of Bror doing something (not so terrible) to Skald. Otherwise, Arry should take it for at least us two.

What do you think, Arry? Pio's last post gave me every excuse to let my dwarf do what ever he pleased to Skald, because evidently, your dwarf deserves it. (hehehehe)
Old 07-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #271
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Eye

Well, Arry, it's too late to defend your character. I couldn't wait any more. I guess now all you have to do is avenge him.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #272
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

*splutter . . .

Just you wait, li'l bro! Revenge is a dish best served cold . . .

♥ Skald
Old 07-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #273
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Don't take too long in at least posting. You can hold off your revenge if you think it's best cold (it puts me through a lot of pain waiting, though), but please don't keep the dwarves excursion from beginning.

-Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 07-28-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #274
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've put up my first post. The orcs are currently preparing to set up a temporary camp while they wait for the Lorien orcs to arrive. I made it a regiment of approximately 1000 orcs -- if anyone thinks this is too large, let me know. Also, there are five companies, each with a lieutenant to look after that group. Firefoot and Kath -- if you want one of your characters to assume one of these roles, feel free to "promote" him or create a carry-along. This way we could get some more interaction.

Any other suggestions for interaction would be great.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:15 AM   #275
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

1000 Orcs is far too many for our little band of Dwarves and Elves. We would be massacred!

There are about 100 Elves and probably only 20 to 25 Dwarves - and some of those will be positioned at the East-gate and close it should the Orcs come too close.

Can a smaller band of Orcs be dispatched to see what's going on in the valley and be the ones who engage us?

~*~ Pio
Old 07-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #276
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'd agree that 1000 is too many; 100-200 sounds like a better number. We're supposed to lose this battle, after all.

Edit: I have a post up. I certainly don't see my primary character as a leadership type, so I just left them in the regular contingent. I went ahead and used the character Lushurd you created, Encai, for my Orcs' company leader, if that's all right.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-29-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #277
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I've done my post and have made myself a scout just so we don't have to write a scout report. I thought it might speed things along a little. If anyone feels I should change it feel free to tell me as I wasn't entirely sure whether the Elves had been sending out scouts of their own.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #278
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Aman - Wonderful post. Just one thing: the times conflict in our posts. My posts make it morning. But I love your post and your descriptions of evening so much...I could change my posts. Which would work better for you and what you had in mind?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #279
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Folwren

I've started us off. Skald has gone north a ways to pick up two of his friends - Bildr and Bisi Grimsteel. He's made plans to meet with up with Bror and whomever he's gathered up in the chamber just before the King's Bridge. It should take a day (game-time) for them to get there.

Do you want to move us on to that time?

Another day of travel after that should bring us near the Eastern chambers and the gate. Skald has two forges he wants to visit there to pick up some old friends from the Brassbeards and the Hardhammers.

By then we should be able to meet Riv and Orin and exit Moria to find the Elves.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #280
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thumbs up

Arry,

Thank you. I've read the post and it looks good. I will go ahead and move them on to the end of the day, then, and bring a few of Bror's acquaintances with him. I can't do that just now, though. I should get a post up later on this afternoon.

-------------------------------------------------------

Encaitare, Firefoot, and Kath,

Good posts!! I particularly like your character's, Firefoot.

But, like the others said, 1000 is a bit much for us few dwarves and troop of elves...

-Folwren