The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
celeborn

Sting fotr or ttt???

i say ttt <P>its got more action
Old 06-22-2003, 01:48 AM   #2
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definately TTT
Old 06-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #3
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

fotr...<BR>i got and when i saw ttt at the first time...what they had done to faramir!<BR>but both movies are still wonderful!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:30 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As much as I adore The Two Towers, it was rather loud and brash and overdone. Fellowship is rather more subtle and has those beautiful little moments which I can't really explain. Maybe bits like the talk between Boromir and Aragorn in Lothlorien. Bits like that are more frequent and substantial in Fotr. TTT may have had some wonderful scenes, but it relied more on pumped up action scenes.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer FotR. It has all those little bits of character development that I think make it much more watchable. Although the action in TTT was good I didn't like them straying from the plotline in some places (i.e. Entmoor), sometimes it didn't quite make sense.<BR>FotR also has the Shire in it, and Frodo is happy and completely oblivious to what is going to happen. Ignorance is bliss in his case. I like the idea of the Fellowship being united in the first film. <BR>The little bits of development are what I liked on FotR. As I have the extended editon, forgive me if I mention parts people haven't seen. The part when Boromir is teaching Merry and Pippin to fight made me smile, because it is the only time that we really see Boromir smile. <BR>FotR also had some funny parts, I think that Merry and Pippin are more effective as comic relife than Gimli. <BR>Although action is good I'm not a great fan, I prefer it in small doses. As TTT has a lot of action, I prefer FotR.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definately Fellowship. It was far more even with solid plot and character development that built to a very dramatic and well done conclusion on Amon Hen.<P>Two Towers started in the middle, stayed in the middle and ended in the middle and therefor didn't seem to have the direction that Fellowship had. Of course, as book readers, we know where this is going as it sets up the events and characters for RotK, but as a stand alone movie it came across as more scattered than Fellowship.<P>Two Towers also has my least favourite sequence of the two films. The Elrond-Galadriel conversation that drifts into a Galadriel voice-over right in the middle of the film. Perhaps PJ thought that the non-book audience needed to have this little anchor so they wouldn't get lost, but to me it seemed a useless rehashing of the plot that served no purpose but to get Galadriel into the second film. <P>It is interesting to note though, that the Galadriel voice-over is almost exactly in the middle of the film. Fellowship began with a Galadriel voice-over and, apparently, RotK will end with one, putting this one smack dab in the middle of the trilogy. Maybe PJ was thinking it would make a nice fulcrum for the whole trilogy, I don't know.<P>Both are very good films overall. The changes don't bother me. I think they're pretty minor compared to most book adaptations.<P>H.C.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I'm'a gonna say ... FOTR. My favorite part was the hobbit party, the music and their dancing and when Merry and Pippin stole the fire-rocket ... it was so mirthful and lighthearted. Then I loved Gandalf the Grey. And the Council of Elrond, and Mines of Moria! It was a true fairy tale adventure, and I love fairy tales.<P>Now TTT was brilliant too, but I just favoured FOTR a bit more. The soundtrack for TTT was better than FOTR though. I liked the little Rohan theme with the Harbinger Fiddle? Was that it? <I>Dah nuh nuh na nuh na na naa...</I> Anyways...<P>-Maikafanawen
Old 06-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The soundtrack for TTT was better than FOTR though. I liked the little Rohan theme with the Harbinger Fiddle? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I gotta agree there. The Ringwraith theme is on the Fellowship soundtrack one too many times.<P>H.C.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah...I love the Rohan theme. But I have to say FotR. Again, it had many little moments that mean a lot. TTT had a lot more cool special effects and action moments, but FotR had more "magic moments". Hey, isn't that a pudding?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I will say right now FotR, because you got to know the characters better. However I reserve the right to change my vote when I see TTT I only saw it once in december so my memory is foggy.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:37 PM   #11
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
TTT all the way!!!though i do like FOTR but TTT has more action in it!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As films, i think they were both excellent; brilliantly directed and produced, a WONDERFULLY chosen cast, and amazing special effects...BUT as an adaption from the books...it scored a 4/10<BR>~nat~
Old 06-22-2003, 11:49 PM   #13
Elven Maiden Earwen

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But I have to say FotR. Again, it had many little moments that mean a lot. TTT had a lot more cool special effects and action moments, but FotR had more "magic moments". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thats what I think too. FOTR was better because it wasn't all action. Also in TTT they at least had three differnt groups to follow and it got confuzing. I have already read the books but for the movie to go, Frodo/Sam/Gollum, then to Merry/Pip and then to The three hunters and back again it just got annoying. Also I didn't like the ents that much. I loved them in the books but not in the movie.<P>Don't get me wrong I loved TTT but it didn't have the happy fealing FOTR had. It was mostly all action. There was almost no Rivendell, Lothlorien, or the Shire. In scenes from FOTR that had these placesx it just seemed so real and so unbelivable at the same time, and the there was much mirth in these places. I mean I loved Sam's whole speach and Gandalds in the end of the movie, and Elrond and Arwens about leaving. The had this sorta mystical fealing to it. But this fealing appeared more often in FOTR than TTT so I think thats manily why I like it more.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The soundtrack for TTT was better than FOTR though. I liked the little Rohan theme with the Harbinger Fiddle? Was that it? Dah nuh nuh na nuh na na naa... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes TTT's soundtrack was better. The whole Rohan thing was great and so was Evenstar and Isengard Unleashed. <BR>Dah nuh nuh na nuh na na naa...
Old 06-23-2003, 04:07 AM   #14
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

as i have already said fotr's better. but this i must add that there wasn't such scene what had touched me like in ttt when éomer rides to helms deep with gandalf...it made me really cry (from some odd reason)*sneef*<BR>and if music matters (as a violinist and a pianist...)i must say that the music of ttt is awesome!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:58 AM   #15
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I <I>had</I> to make a choice, it would probably be FotR - but the two movies really are so different, that it's difficult to compare. I do like TTT a lot, too...<P>Harbinger fiddle??? Whassat? OK, in the notes on the CD booklet it says 'Hardinger fiddle' - but I'm not sure it isn't a misspelling. HARDANGER is the name of (or a part of the name of) several locations in SW Norway - there's Hardanger (town), Hardanger fjord (bay) & Hardanger vidda (plains).<P>The Hardanger fiddle is, as far as I recall, about the size of a viola (you know, the violin type with a weight problem) with extra strings attached underneath to give a more full sound - it's of course a Norwegian folk music instrument, & perfectly fitting the beautiful Rohan Theme & great sound track.<p>[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: mollecon ]
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 AM   #16
Menelhachwen
Pile O'Bones

Menelhachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As a whole, I find FOTR more complete than TTT, it captures the Middle Earth spirit much better and the plot is better developed; TTT is confusing at some points, although I think that the book is easier to be "translated" into a movie than the first one, so I don't know why Peter Jackson complicated himself so much!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #17
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmmm..I can't really choose because TTT and FOTR are all part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and so they're basically..all one! If you see what I mean....

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #18
Linteamarthwen
Pile O'Bones

Linteamarthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I enjoy the LOTR Trilogy. I must admite that sometimes I hope for it to have special parts in the book, but it doesn't always happen. I believe PJ is a brave and noble man for taking on such a feat. Though some may dislike his works in the movie, I still think they are wonderful to watch.<P>P.s who cares if they're 3 hours long
Linteamarthwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:25 PM   #19
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I think I liked TTT. Because it had more action and more adventure. But I didn't like it when they put in more than what they needed. Like Arwen's dream thing. But all in all I liked it.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:32 PM   #20
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

I go for FOTR!!! yet TTT has some scenes that I love!!!!! like Helms Deep, Gollum's arrival, The dead marshes, and when Gandalf comes back.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #21
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

WOW...This is a really hard question!<P>Well, I think I have to say FOTR, I don't know the reason, though. Maybe beacause I've only seen TTT once...*blushes* <P>Perhaps I will like TTT better by time, if you know what I mean.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #22
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

fotr. Closer to the books. Helm's Deep was good though. They kinda dragged TTT out & screwed up a couple of parts... still, I'd give fotr a 9 & TTT an 8.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:18 PM   #23
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the battle scenes in TTT, and also the fact that Legolas had more to do/say. But FoTR did its job well to introduce us to the major players.
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 09:21 PM   #24
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

The FotR by far! The changes in TTT made me angry and they left out so many great parts! As a matter of fact, they left out my favorite part where Gandalf confronts Saruman.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:42 PM   #25
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FotR was way better. Not only because tTT wasn't exactly how it was supposed to be...coughcompletelyhorriblecough...but that FotR set a very high standard, and tTT didn't quite make that. It was very good though.<P>Burzdol
Old 06-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Gandalf confronting Saruman will be in RotK. As a matter of fact, I was more upset that they left out Shelob than the confrontation. I can't wait to hear/see all the yelling & complaints after LotR fans find out there won't be a scouring of the shire!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #27
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i already knew that bit... i was furious...<P>i liked ttt best as a film, but fotr as an adaptation of the book...
Old 06-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #28
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I do not know do I like one movie better than another but if to make up my mind than TTT because it had all those F/X'es and the battle scenes that I like so much . So TTT than .
Old 06-28-2003, 04:32 PM   #29
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Elentari: I figured you did. That bit was more for Olorin than anything...
Old 07-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #30
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I learned to love the Fellowship, when I was blown away by the horror of the Two Towers. Yet I live in fear of the Return...<P>Iarwain
Old 07-12-2003, 04:17 PM   #31
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

If you like to get as close to the books as possible but still have a great movie... fellowship np doubt! If you like action and have never read the books then I say TTT... now if you like just watching good actors play good roles in a great movie... well I do hope it's RoTK!!!! As for the rest I say fellowship is best so far!!!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #32
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

FOTR is my favorite. Just because I found it much more beautiful, and truer in a way to Tolkien's works. I did enjoy TTT too, but in a different way. I do agree that TTT did have a tad too much fighting and the whole Faramir thing still puts me off, but it was the best film of the year, and it still was a pretty good telling of the story.<P>Also for me, FOTR brought me into the entire world of Tolkien. The first time I saw that film I thought to myself that it was such a good film and I loved everything about it. You can never really repeat a life changing experience like that.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 AM   #33
Merenwen Telrúnya

Sting

I also chose definately for TTT although there were lots of differences between film and book, even more than in FotR. <BR>But I still like them both..
Old 07-15-2003, 01:06 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I also chose definately for TTT although there were lots of differences between film and book, even more than in FotR.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> I'd hope so! Adding things that weren't in the book ticks me off more than leaving some things out for the sake of time constraints.<BR> <BR> quote:<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>I learned to love the Fellowship, when I was blown away by the horror of the Two Towers. Yet I live in fear of the Return... <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P><BR>Exactly. I loved the closeness to the bookess of the Fellowship, than was shocked at parts of TTT when I was expecting close to the same as FotR ( silly me )<BR>This whole matchup between Aragorn & Sauron at the end of RotK has me truly freaked now... <p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #35
Theoric Windcaller
Haunting Spirit

Theoric Windcaller has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TTT all the way, more action, though people think that the TTT was Peter's high point, wait til they see the RotK, it will blow you away. Or at least that's what I heard.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:23 PM   #36
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Another reason for my choice for FotR was that it was just a stronger movie, like HCIsland said. But I also especially liked a few of the conversations, like:<BR> Borimir & Aragorn's conversation in Lothlorien<BR> Gandalf & Frodo speaking in Moria ( my favorite )<BR> & Gandalf & Bilbo in Bag End<BR> PJ's attempt to duplicate those awesome scenes with Sam's speach at the end of TTT was a good thought, but only a good thought. The speach drew on to long & sounds dangerously close to ridiculous! I did like the 'Samwise the Brave & Frodo & the Ring of Power (or Doom, I can't remember)' part. That wasn't as lengthy & was just plain done better...
Old 07-16-2003, 04:53 PM   #37
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I prefered Fellowship, definitely. Towers just irritated me. I mean, there were some brilliant scenes in Towers (ents trashing Isengard, heh heh heh...), but PJ screwed so much stuff up that it's almost irredeemable. Like that nonsense with Arwen (*pukes*), and the little "Aragorn-is-dead" subplot that they came up with. <P>Of course, none of my votes are final until I see RotK!!! I think that will end up being my favorite, just because of a certain eight legged freak that will be making her debut....<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 07-16-2003, 05:11 PM   #38
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Shield

Oh what a tough choice you cant really choose! FotR was more like the book but it had less action but ttt had more action but was least like the book…. Decisions…decisions!!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #39
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

I truly loved them both...it is true that Mr. Jackson messed up a bit with a few things, especially the whole 'Estel is dead' thing; but overall I think they were fantastic. <BR> You have to remember that people who haven't (or rather refuse to, and I pity the fool who doesn't) read the books, so it has to be adapted for them. It would seem wierd if at the end there was a wedding when -to the audience- the couple has only just met and had next to no interaction with eachother. Besides, (this makes me feel better..most of the time..) it is written that Arwen "watched over him in thought".

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #40
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I still think I like TTT better. It did take time to like though: the first time I saw it, I did not like it...but it definitely got better with each viewing. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but PJ screwed so much stuff up that it's almost irredeemable. Like that nonsense with Arwen (*pukes*), and the little "Aragorn-is-dead" subplot that they came up with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>YES!!! I wholeheartedly agree!! But what really kills me (besides the Arwen scenes) is Haldir's death at Helm's Deep!!! But I still think ROTK will be my absolute favorite...unless PJ screws up big time...grrr... *stomps off to the corner to mourn Haldir*<p>[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Aredhel Ar Feiniel ]