The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2002, 03:26 PM   #41
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok.... in neremorn bronze is higher than steel- its a fancy sort of metal- its different...

as to me having taken 17,000 years to train to level 6, i have mental problems. dont worry about that.

patterned swords are a bit like arwen having runes on her sword- just a swirly pattern, etc. rather than runes- although sword masters can get runes if they wish.

cimmerian- u mean peasant rather than pheasant right??? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

i'll do archery levels at some point... and warriors i spose...

fencing can be counted as sword fighting- wateva it corresponds to.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:46 PM   #42
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If fencing counts, then I'm probably either a -1 or 1. I could most likely handle a steel sword, but I'm not sure...
Old 07-17-2002, 12:39 AM   #43
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Caradhras has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Caradhras Send a message via AIM to Caradhras
Sting

What on earth are you guys talking about I am so confused!!!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Caradhras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:39 AM   #44
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Oh, thats the answer to 7*9.. GO MEEE!! *ahem*

I would probably be -5, because me and a friend was practising with sticks (the almost looked as swords) in school some years ago.. We had quite a little show, where we would look as trying to hit the other, but never hurt eachother for real (except hitting eachother on the thumbs.. those sticks where rather short). Swinging the sword over the head, at the same time as my friend ducked.. then he tried to hit my legs, so I had to jump.. that sort of thing.. Though, we were only doing it for fun and had to stop when someone of our teachers saw it..
We was actually trying to be "stunt men".. ok, I know it sounds ridicoulus, but this happened for 4 years ago, so.. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway, we used to stumble around the school, trying to fall as convincing as possible.. once when I jumped/fell down from a tree, my teacher actually thought I was seriously injured, so I had to tell her about out game.. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Wish I could take fencing/archery lessons.. I'll talk with dad about it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Wish me good luck!

(looks around, then realiuses someone of her clones has stolen her sanity again)
Old 07-17-2002, 02:50 AM   #45
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I've used a plastic sword before, so would that count as a -4?

You don't know how lucky you guys are. I go to a public school and are extra curriculum is art, photography, journalism, choir, band, orchestra, and a few other things. It is limited, and they want to limit us even more! I wish I could take archery lessons, but my parents would never let me. Besides, I don't know if they offer them where I live.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-03-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:26 PM   #46
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

plastic probably would count, but its sposed to be wood- plastic dont exist in neremorn! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] just count it as wood's equivalent.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:27 PM   #47
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Here's longbow levels I could dream up...:

1- Never seen a bow in your life
2- Have seen archers at Warwick Castle (or some live archery tourney)
3- have tried archery but never hit the target and you hurt someone
4- Can usually hit the target
5- can get a bullseye (or close to it)
6- Can shoot well from different positions
7- Can shoot from horseback
8- Archery comes naturally however you do it and have a grey, engraved and strong yew bow with elven-hair bowstring

For me, I'm probably level 4 or 5

About the school thing- Our state legislature is cutting the budget for public schools. Can you believe that??? Now the music and art programs might be cut! It's so unfair! It's incredible!!!! And you guys complain about not having archery classes or fencing! No guilt trips here, but it's just... unfair. It's blasphemy.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:29 PM   #48
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] thanx for the help- will get round to my own list one day [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:30 AM   #49
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Longbow level wound have to be 4-5.Something like that.
The swords...well does fencing count?Never held a sword only the foils.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #50
Kaze
Haunting Spirit

Kaze has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well.. I'm still not sure what fencing would count as, but I'd say my sword level is about... maybe a -3? -2? I'm not sure. My longbow level is about a 5; a friend of mine has a bow and arrows (that I regularly lose! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) And we use them to practice.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:39 PM   #51
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ha! Public schools are a joke! In my advanced high school geometry class this year, I never turned in a worksheet and I never did the tests because she didn't grade them anyway. I threw my blank worksheets in the trash can at the end of every period and still came away with a 97. Where my teacher pulled that number from I have no idea... We can't even afford to hire a language teacher, much less anything extra. Ithaeliel, I feel your pain.

We have bows and arrows at home, but they are the modern hunting kind with plastic feathers and metal shafts, and they are all way too strong for me to use.

nn10, an equestrian team!?! I am so jealous! *twitches uncontrollably and mutters about the unfairness of it all* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:07 PM   #52
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

just compare fencing to swords. if u have an epee, or woteva, that is bronze and patterned
and has one spell, then u would be level 4.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:53 PM   #53
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, the levels for swords have me way confused. Anyhoo, someone asked if anyone had a sword. I do. Unfortunately it's good for hanging on the wall, not designed for combat (I'll get a combat ready blade as soon as my next federal tax return comes back in another 8 or so months).
Instead of asking about sword-levels, someone should ask about knowing any sword handling techniques. Fencing is one technique, used for blades that are slender and flexible, such as a rapier and other blades still in use by the gentry of the renaissance period, after the use of anything but a very light armor had gone out of style (and practicallity with the increased advent of fire-arms). However fencing does little good for weapons used FOTR, the weight of the weapons and techniques used to weild them are vastly different.
As far as the archery level goes I'd be around a 4, thanks to having a 20LB. fiberglass recurve as a kid.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:10 AM   #54
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Mystra - Well, if you're birdbrained(pheasant) enough.. have a blast.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Bronze, Gold and Silver are more malleable than steel, hence softer metals. Steel is a amalgam of other metals. Barbarian longswords are the ultimate weapons for sword play. Heavy, double edged and delivers a killing blow everytime, if you can lift it.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:01 AM   #55
mystra
Haunting Spirit

Sting

yes......

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.